[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Help with Cord Cutting  (Read 11636 times)

Benny B

• All American
Re: Help with Cord Cutting
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2017, 01:08:13 PM »
What do all you cord cutters do for Internet?

Uverse, either the 12 or 20 MBps plan... not sure which.  I think the max we've had going at once was four streams, two Apple TV's and two iPads; only problems we've ever had with speed is when the entire network is down or the source is bottlenecked.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2017, 02:03:51 PM »
The Mrs. and I are moving out of employer provided housing, which means that for the first time, we will have to pay for our own cable and internet. After talking it over, the only thing either of us need cable for is live sports. In our area, cable is going to run us about $50 bucks a month with all the various fees.
I didn't read the others comments yet. You had me at $50 bucks and fees!!!  ;D I pay $149 per month and would never give up my cable. Do what fits your needs.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2017, 03:47:05 PM »
I currently have Charter (Spectrum) for internet, but plan on switching to TDS asap since they just installed lines last month (Madison area).  Basically, you're stuck with the local ISPs in your area... and typically, there is very little competition... so you're sort of stuck with what you get.

Just so that you are ready......

I got rid of Spectrum about 6 months ago and never realized how many sites I would have to adjust my settings for after losing the email account I had used for 15 years - somewhere around 60-65.

You'll still receive email if if is email account through them. but obviously don't have access to their mail server to send.

If you use online email ...., nevermind :)

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2017, 06:03:21 PM »

I got rid of Spectrum about 6 months ago and never realized how many sites I would have to adjust my settings for after losing the email account I had used for 15 years - somewhere around 60-65.

You'll still receive email if if is email account through them. but obviously don't have access to their mail server to send.

Luckily I use gmail!  I hate it enough when my credit card expires every couple of years and I have to enter in the new card...

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2017, 09:55:47 PM »
Forgive me father, for I have sinned...

It has been 5 years since I have cut the cord. However, I recently got engaged and moved into a new house with the fiancee. She wants cable. Said it wasn't a deal-breaker to cut the cord, but she really liked her "shows" and the DVR functionality.

I gave in, father. What other choice did I have?

What is my penance?

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2017, 11:39:09 PM »
Forgive me father, for I have sinned...

It has been 5 years since I have cut the cord. However, I recently got engaged and moved into a new house with the fiancee. She wants cable. Said it wasn't a deal-breaker to cut the cord, but she really liked her "shows" and the DVR functionality.

I gave in, father. What other choice did I have?

What is my penance?

Congrats.

Most cable isn't tied to a contract anymore, so you can always change when you see something you like.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2017, 06:29:26 AM »
What is my penance?

Your cable bill is penance enough.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2017, 07:14:11 AM »
Your cable bill is penance enough.

To be fair, I got a great deal from DirecTV/att. Previously, my stand alone internet bill was $54. New bill is $105.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2017, 10:11:37 AM »
To be fair, I got a great deal from DirecTV/att. Previously, my stand alone internet bill was $54. New bill is $105.

DTV is probably a 2 year contract. But $105 inc. internet isn't bad. That's the same deal I have. I previously paid $220 for Spectrum.

Plus, it looks like sports were important with the package you have.

In two years there may well be a standalone sports package - Disney will have a standalone with all ESPNs next year - so I may be able to finally go full streaming.

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2017, 11:46:26 AM »

This is why most people use third party email to avoid that very situation.

djvern414

• Walk-On
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2017, 01:39:06 PM »
My cheapskate POV:

All MU 17-18 season games should be on either ESPN, CBSSN, FS1, FS2, or FSW.  My 10 mbps Internet-only Spectrum costs $63m that comes with unlimited data. AT&T is in MIL but their data is limited and there is a mandatory contract. Spectrum's current deal is Voice/Internet/Cable for $29.99 ($90m) with free 100 mbps upgrade, free DVR, and a free modem.  The total with everything after fees, taxes, and "sports package" is $123m.

I've tried Direct TV, PS Vue, and Sling. I used PS Vue all last yr, but they have increased pricing from ~ $30m to $50m. There was no CBSSN last yr so I went to the bar and spent over $100 in bar tabs defeating the "savings" purpose. Someone commented PSV has CBS SN now, but I don't see it.  My streaming device is Apple TV (n/a last yr for PSV) and works better than clunky PS3.  Unlimited DVR is great, but I couldn't adjust the game end recording, so either record the show after MU game or risk missing game-end. Overall, OK viewing experience but it was sometimes choppy (may be my poor Internet), but clunky interface compared to cable remote.

I don't believe Direct TV Now or Sling have all the MU games or unlimited DVR OR are any more cost effective, but someone please correct me.

For me, its worth $123m to have high picture quality games, no lag, and a speed upgrade compared to paying $63m plus a streaming package ($50m+) to GUARANTEE all beloved MU games can be watched and/or recorded.  I'll cancel after the MU season since Spectrum has no contract.

Anyone here try YouTube yet?  I'd love to hear their thoughts.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2017, 08:34:06 AM »
DJ - Just FYI .. PSVue did increase their price, but not to $50 .. it's $40.  And yes, it now has CBS Sports.

Can't disagree with the sentiment, though.  My only internet option is through Spectrum for an ungodly $63 a month as well -- fortunately, I lucked out and have been a customer of Earthlink for 2 years at $40 a month (for 15/1 service.)   They don't offer that plan any more, but I still have it.

So yeah, I'm paying $80 a month for internet+PSVue.   Prior to (almost) cutting the cord, my bill had gone from $130 to $180, although they offered me $140 as I left.   So .. I'm still saving $600+ a year, which isn't bad.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2017, 05:22:43 PM »
No FSW or Cbssn on sling, correct?

lohaus

• Starter
« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2017, 10:53:59 PM »
I went with the Firestick with Kodi. Subscribed to Gears TV for like $15 a month and a guide for $3.  First months watched Connor vs Money, WWE (never paid for it) , NFL package,NBA, MLB. It has the Marquette games.

I get my internet/phone through Spectrum at $60 a month.