[Today at 12:40:07 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by Galway Eagle
[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Celtics are the worst No. 1 seed in NBA history  (Read 5465 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
The Celtics are the worst No. 1 seed in NBA history
« on: April 13, 2017, 01:29:02 PM »
Maybe the Bulls can beat them.

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/gallery/the-celtics-are-the-worst-no-1-seed-in-nba-history-041317

It's frankly shocking that Chicago made the postseason — the Bulls played roughly 30 minutes of cohesive basketball all season.

But don't be surprised if the Bulls give the Celtics everything they can handle in the first round.

In fact, don't be shocked if the Bulls win the seven-game series with the Celtics.

Because while Boston might be the No. 1 seed in the East this year, they're the worst top seed in the history of the NBA.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
Re: The Celtics are the worst No. 1 seed in NBA history
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 01:35:53 PM »
Interestingly, the article compares these Celtics to the 1979 Supersonics as "worst" #1 seeds. That Sonics team won it all.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 02:33:55 PM »
Very well may be a sign of parity and nothing to do with being the worst relative to other eras
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 03:33:28 PM »

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/gallery/the-celtics-are-the-worst-no-1-seed-in-nba-history-041317

It's frankly shocking that Chicago made the postseason — the Bulls played roughly 30 minutes of cohesive basketball all season.

But don't be surprised if the Bulls give the Celtics everything they can handle in the first round.

In fact, don't be shocked if the Bulls win the seven-game series with the Celtics.

Because while Boston might be the No. 1 seed in the East this year, they're the worst top seed in the history of the NBA.

Every NBA expert will be shocked if the Bulls win.

And when you have several lockdown defenders, you don't have to be a great offensive team.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 03:35:37 PM by Jockey »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 03:49:08 PM »
But it will be fun to watch Jimmy and Jae battle.  Plenty of healthy ego on each side of that tussle.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 04:01:38 PM »
But it will be fun to watch Jimmy and Jae battle.  Plenty of healthy ego on each side of that tussle.

I agree, Glow. That will be the best part of the series for me.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 05:54:43 PM »

Not Wade?
Maigh Eo for Sam

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 06:51:51 PM »
Not Wade?

Wade didn't play together like Jimmy and Crowder.

GWSwarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 09:03:59 PM »

Amazing you found a source that isn't Breitbart
Fear makes you dumb.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2017, 08:03:29 PM »
Nice win for the Bulls on the road. Good PR for MU in this series with Our 3 guys starting.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2017, 08:35:59 PM »
Nice win for the Bulls on the road. Good PR for MU in this series with Our 3 guys starting.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2017, 08:38:20 PM »
Wears da third, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2017, 08:57:23 PM »
Amazing you found a source that isn't Breitbart

just couldn't help yourself, Eyyn'a?  how's about if we find ya something from muthajones ;)
don't...don't don't don't don't

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2017, 09:52:10 PM »
            ---Al McGuire

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2017, 11:49:55 PM »
2 MU >> 1 Mu

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2017, 08:17:04 AM »
The Celtics are a "play angry," chip-on-the-shoulder type of team. That's great when things are going well but that mentality can turn ugly when things are going south like they did last night (i.e. in-fighting, Smart flipping the bird, etc).

Knowing this Bulls team though, this series is far from over.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2017, 08:41:27 AM »
The Celtics are a "play angry," chip-on-the-shoulder type of team. That's great when things are going well but that mentality can turn ugly when things are going south like they did last night (i.e. in-fighting, Smart flipping the bird, etc).

Knowing this Bulls team though, this series is far from over.

Exactly.  I thought going into the Playoffs the C's were the most susceptible top 4 team in the East to an upset, but I don't think that the Bulls are so good that a 2-0 series lead is a done deal, even with it going back to Chicago for 2.

Any team with Al Horford as their 2nd best player isn't going to be insanely scary.  And when your best player is 5'8" you can do some things to slow that guy down, too.  It's IT and then a lot of solid but not great guys on the C's.  If I'm the C's I'm keeping every draft pick I have and letting Fultz and Brown develop a couple years with IT and Bradley.  I'd try to get a rim protector down low.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2017, 09:18:17 AM »
I don't know what the Celts can do to counter here. Final score doesn't show it, but for a playoff game, that was an a$$ whipping last night. The Bulls are doubling every PNR with Thomas, they're leaving Smart unguarded more or less and forcing him to shoot, and getting destroyed on the glass. If they go big, that's one less shooter on the perimeter. The Bulls have the best player in the series, Rondo has been fantastic, and they have no answer for Lopez. The Bulls aren't winning an NBA title or anything, but for this particular playoff series, they are the better team.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2017, 09:48:35 AM »
I don't know what the Celts can do to counter here. Final score doesn't show it, but for a playoff game, that was an a$$ whipping last night. The Bulls are doubling every PNR with Thomas, they're leaving Smart unguarded more or less and forcing him to shoot, and getting destroyed on the glass. If they go big, that's one less shooter on the perimeter. The Bulls have the best player in the series, Rondo has been fantastic, and they have no answer for Lopez. The Bulls aren't winning an NBA title or anything, but for this particular playoff series, they are the better team.

We will see.  Lot of basketball to be played.  Keep in mind that last year the Warriors set a record for biggest point differential through 2 games of an NBA Finals and then lost the series.  The Cavs looked completely outclassed.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2017, 09:50:37 AM »

Thomas and the Celtics are also see a bit of what Curry and the Warriors saw the last 2 years.  The NBA officiates the playoffs a bit differently.  They are allowing a ALOT of contact on Thomas and its clearly affecting him.  I'm not saying its poorly officiated, its just a bit more physical and its making a difference. Couple that with the Bulls not missing shots or taking quarters off, and its an amazing development. When Mirotic started off hot, my friend from Boston texted me that the Celtics were the Andrea Gail.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2017, 10:19:25 AM »
We will see.  Lot of basketball to be played.  Keep in mind that last year the Warriors set a record for biggest point differential through 2 games of an NBA Finals and then lost the series.  The Cavs looked completely outclassed.

Like the Warriors, if the Bulls miss shots, sure, they'll lose.

Having watched all the first two games in their entirety, there's zero doubt the Bulls have been the better team, and Hoiberg has game planned extremely well.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2017, 03:06:43 PM »
JJJ weighing in on Celtics Bulls Series
https://twitter.com/chosenJAUN/status/854770791073935361
            ---Al McGuire

EaglesNest

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2017, 11:29:01 AM »
MCW had a rough game 3

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2017, 12:17:28 PM »
MCW had a rough game 3

MCW has had a rough career.

EaglesNest

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2017, 05:05:02 PM »
Isaiah Canaan had a nice game for the Bulls in his first playoff appearance.  I remember him playing for Murray State against Marquette in the NCAA Tournament.

EaglesNest

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2017, 05:05:46 PM »
MCW has had a rough career.

Rarely does a team trade away its rookie of the year so quickly. The 76ers knew what they had

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2017, 10:50:00 AM »
Isaiah Canaan had a nice game for the Bulls in his first playoff appearance.  I remember him playing for Murray State against Marquette in the NCAA Tournament.

He did fine for the Bulls. But it was hilarious watching him trash-talking Thomas, who is 10x the player. It reminded me of Stephenson blowing in LeBron's ear a few years back.

Thomas prevailed (as did LeBron years ago). I know Thomas trash-talked right back, but I would have been content to just say, "Scoreboard!"

BTW, the Celtics looked pretty good against the Wizards and I would expect they win that series. Should they reach the conference final, would they still be the worst No. 1 seed ever?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2017, 11:08:31 AM »
He did fine for the Bulls. But it was hilarious watching him trash-talking Thomas, who is 10x the player. It reminded me of Stephenson blowing in LeBron's ear a few years back.

Thomas prevailed (as did LeBron years ago). I know Thomas trash-talked right back, but I would have been content to just say, "Scoreboard!"

BTW, the Celtics looked pretty good against the Wizards and I would expect they win that series. Should they reach the conference final, would they still be the worst No. 1 seed ever?

Tough to say. With a healthy Rondo, the Bulls likely win that series.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2017, 12:03:09 PM »
Bulls were a bad matchup for the Celtics because of their length. Now, luckily for the Celtics, playoff Rondo got hurt and that left the Bulls real thin thanks to the brilliant moves from GarPax and Hoiberg can't coach his way out of a wet paper bag. Oh, and the Bulls just aren't that good.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2017, 02:42:16 PM »

Maybe. Or maybe once the Celtics got past the shock of Thomas' sister's death they would have rolled to victory anyway. We'll never know. All we know for certain is that the Celtics have won 5 straight games and are looking pretty darn good. Jae was a beast yesterday!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2017, 03:00:34 PM »
I really doubt it - although we will never know. It is just as easy to say that if Thomas' sister hadn't been killed a day before the round started, the Celtics would have won in four.

I think we all know Thomas was much more important in this series than Rondo.

The Bulls are a group of aging quitters - nothing would have helped. It's telling that when Jae got into a little shoving match, Thomas pulled him away telling him not to jeopardize the next series cuz the Bulls already had quit.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2017, 07:37:59 AM »
I really doubt it - although we will never know. It is just as easy to say that if Thomas' sister hadn't been killed a day before the round started, the Celtics would have won in four.

I think we all know Thomas was much more important in this series than Rondo.

The Bulls are a group of aging quitters - nothing would have helped. It's telling that when Jae got into a little shoving match, Thomas pulled him away telling him not to jeopardize the next series cuz the Bulls already had quit.

Beyond Wade and Rondo who exactly is an aging quitter? Lopez? He's 29
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 07:40:20 AM by BagpipingBoxer »
Maigh Eo for Sam

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2017, 10:23:26 AM »
Beyond Wade and Rondo who exactly is an aging quitter? Lopez? He's 29

Technically everyone on every team is aging  ;)

The Bulls were an enigma all season. In their last 10 games of the regular season, they went 7-3. The 3 losses were to the Sixers, Knicks and Nets. They beat the Cavs, Bucks and Hawks during that stretch. They went up 2-0 on the top seed and had all the momentum coming home but lost 4 straight, completely rolling over in Game 6. That pretty much sums up their whole season.

I can't tell if it's good that Rondo got hurt and they lost the series because it shows how flawed they are or if it's bad because without Rondo they were horrible and the FO may think they've got a contender next season if healthy. In a vacuum, I don't think Hoiberg is necessarily a bad NBA coach but I don't think his players respect him and earning your players respect is a big part of the job.

feedback