Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 40 years ago today Marquette won the National Title  (Read 7508 times)

Macallan 18

• Walk-On
40 years ago today Marquette won the National Title
« on: March 28, 2017, 12:28:42 PM »
40 years ago today Marquette cut down the nets at the Omni in Atlanta as NCAA champions.

Milwaukee Magazine had a blurb this month about a speech Henry S. Reuss added to the U.S. Congress proceedings to celebrate the victory. It is reproduced below in honor of the occasion.

A Championship for Marquette and Al McGuire
by Representative Henry S. Reuss

Mr. Speaker,

I want to share with my colleagues the jubilation of my district over the victory last night of the Marquette Warriors basketball team in the finals of the National Collegiate Athletic Association championship in Atlanta. I would also like to express my pride and admiration - and that of my constituents - for Mr. Al McGuire, who will now retire as coach of the Warriors after 13 great seasons.

My Milwaukee office reports that Wisconsin Avenue - the city's main street - was jammed last night with celebrators for the 3 miles between 16th Street and Lake Michigan. One staffer says that she was hugged several times by total strangers. There are also unconfirmed reports of beer flowing in Milwaukee houses of refreshment at great discounts,
and vigorously increased volumes.

For the last 10 years, Al McGuire has been taking his strong Marquette teams to post season tournaments. Now, at last, the Warriors won the national championship, and Milwaukee went wild with joy. It was fitting that the team should win the championship in Mr. McGuire's last season.

The national press, which gets to see Mr. McGuire only around this time every year, paints him the iconoclast and bad boy of college basketball - a position he likes.

These members of the national press, however, have not seen the strong respect in which Mr. McGuire is held in the community of Milwaukee. And they cannot see up close, as we see in Milwaukee, the superb work of education and guidance he gives to the young members of his teams.

For all the shouting and press fireworks, there is a real sense of love on Mr. McGuire's teams and a feeling that the youngsters who come to Marquette at the ages of 17 and 18 draw real guidance and purpose from their years with him. For all the winning, and all the brillant strategy of Mr. McGuire's games - I direct my colleagues' attention to the way he handled the vaunted Carolina four-corner offense - he is above all an excellent teacher, and an excellent example to young men who strive to be best.

My special congratulations to Al, and to Hank Raymonds, who will step into his shoes next year. And I congratulate the entire Marquette basketball team: Bo Ellis, Bill Neary, Jerome Whitehead, Butch Lee, and Jim Boylan; Gary Rosenberger, Bernard Toone, Ulice Payne, Robert Byrd, Craig Butrym, Jim Dudley, and Mark Lavin.

Nukem2

• All American
Re: 40 years ago today Marquette won the National Title
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 12:33:30 PM »
Had a great time at the Omni in Atlanta that night.  Seems like yesterday.  :D

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 12:41:24 PM »

Ditto.  What an amazing memory.  Still have my ticket stubs from the FF.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 12:48:53 PM »
It was my freshman year at Marquette.  It sure would be nice to get back to that promised land again.....

Ludum habemus.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 01:42:29 PM »
Boy, those Kansas State and Charlotte games were nail biters.  Checking the scores reminded me how much Marquette relied on defense to win under McGuire.  I remember the pubs I was at for both and the dorm room were I saw the title game.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 01:54:32 PM »
I was a 16-year-old high school junior in Connecticut. I watched the game on my parents' crappy TV and said, "Al seems like a cool dude. Now where's Marquette?"

About a year later, after learning where Marquette was, I decided to go - sight unseen. (Kids: that's the way we oldsters often rolled.)

If not for Warriors basketball, I probably still would never have been to Milwaukee, and my life would have been all together different.

Since I love my life, all I can say is:

Thanks, Warriors! Glad you were No. 1, and may you get there again someday!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 02:01:28 PM »
I was a 16-year-old high school junior in Connecticut. I watched the game on my parents' crappy TV and said, "Al seems like a cool dude. Now where's Marquette?"

About a year later, after learning where Marquette was, I decided to go - sight unseen. (Kids: that's the way we oldsters often rolled.)

If not for Warriors basketball, I probably still would never have been to Milwaukee, and my life would have been all together different.

Change 16 year old junior to 15 year old sophomore and my story is identical!
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 02:32:56 PM »

Change to 8-year old watching basketball with my dad.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 02:56:59 PM »
I love Reuss' comments about beer flowing at discounted prices in vigorous volumes. Now that says quite a bit for Milwaukee and Wisconsin.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 02:57:10 PM »

You mean you and your parents didn't tour 3 times and complain the Rec Center and McCormick aren't nice enough?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 03:05:39 PM »
YEP! Full-court pass to Whitehead to win Charlotte game and MU
being patient with Dean Smith's 4-corner offense. It was the Butch,
Bo and Bernard show over Phil Ford and O'Koren.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 03:16:22 PM »
Was 13 and watched the game at home (it was a school night after all) and was pulling for Marquette big time.

Fast forward to the Saturday after the title game. Watching AWA All-Star Wrestling and The Crusher gives an interview wearing a Marquette t-shirt saying he hasn't stopping drinking beers since Monday night. Classic.

Two of my earliest, and fondest, MU memories.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 03:21:42 PM »
Ditto.  What an amazing memory.  Still have my ticket stubs from the FF.
Stil have mine as well as the program book.

Rudy

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2017, 03:24:50 PM »
14 year old who was shipped off to a non fan's house for the Final Four when the rest of my family went to the Omni. I went outside and yelled at the top of my lungs. Thank God one of the neighbor kids was also a fan and knew me. He came out and we played one on one for hours. I was Bo Ellis and he was Butch Lee that day.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2017, 03:39:59 PM »

That's my story too 82! Well....it's my dad's story.....and he was in 8th grade.... ;D

Just giving you and my other favorite old timers a hard time ;)
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2017, 04:07:18 PM »
Well. The Sunday before the big game, a couple of friends of mine and I were in a bar in Milwaukee for their double-bubble hour.  We were poor grad students.  And drunk grad students. So at about 11:30pm we decided we should try to fly to Atlanta.  No flights.  But one from Chicago leaving at 1:30am.  So, we raced to Chicago straight from 5 hours in the bar.  No money, nothing. 

Charged the flight with money we didn't have. Still remember it was $116 round trip.  Got to Atlanta, walked all around the Omni, got in there and wow - we will be playing for the National Championship that night, right here! 

Could not find any tix we could afford.  Period.   Flew home and watched it in TV!   

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2017, 04:08:37 PM »
One day after my 5th birthday, and I don't remember sh1t.  I did run down Wisconsin Ave after beating Kentucky in '94 though.  Beer was flowing freely at discounted prices that night, too.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2017, 04:42:23 PM »
Some great stories, fella's. Was a night that many will never forget. Especially love the going to MU sight unseen stories.

I was lucky to take a campus tour at Sir Lawrence's apartment in his post grad years. Without that visit I might have ended up at Harvard.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2017, 05:18:30 PM »
Driving from Central Wisconsin 2x a year (200 miles) to MU and Buck
games. The only year of 20, we did not go to a MU game. Dam.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2017, 07:00:11 PM »
Junior in HS, working in a grocery store.  Had to listen to all the NCAA games on the radio.

Skipped school the next day with a friend to attend the parade.  Got to shake hands with Craig Butrym as he went by. Woo hoo.

Both of us ended up going to MU.  Coincidence?  I think not.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2017, 07:10:17 PM »
That's my story too 82! Well....it's my dad's story.....and he was in 8th grade.... ;D

F, now that makes me feel old.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2017, 07:22:21 PM »
F, now that makes me feel old.
We old Chili
Goal is National Championship

dajudge

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2017, 07:27:06 PM »
Junior in law school (I know they are called 2-Ls now)
If Professors Aiken, Ghiardi and Kircher knew I was at the Omni they probably would have flunked me out!!!

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2017, 07:28:55 PM »
Junior in law school (I know they are called 2-Ls now)
If Professors Aiken, Ghiardi and Kircher knew I was at the Omni they probably would have flunked me out!!!
yah, my brother in dental school was with me that weekend.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2017, 07:45:18 PM »
Some great stories, fella's. Was a night that many will never forget. Especially love the going to MU sight unseen stories.

I was lucky to take a campus tour at Sir Lawrence's apartment in his post grad years. Without that visit I might have ended up at Harvard.

You emptied the keg, if memory serves me.
Ludum habemus.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2017, 08:20:38 PM »
Sir

I learned that day that you were an A+ man and have kept that status. I might have snuck a beer or two that night, but hanging with you the Commish that night was a special night.
If I never thanked you before, thank you for a great night nearly 40 years ago!!!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2017, 08:34:57 PM »

Dude, you and eye finally agree on somethin', hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2017, 08:36:51 PM »
It was my freshman year at Marquette.  It sure would be nice to get back to that promised land again.....

Here da thin', da Warriors were losin' at halftime of all tree games, butt came back ta winn,  until dey reach da FF, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2017, 09:24:40 PM »
40 years ago tonight, I was one of a couple thousand people in Brooks Memorial Union. We watched the game together. I'd been following Marquette since 1965 and was a junior. I was there with my future wife, who couldn't give a rat's backside about basketball but knew a good party when she saw it.

I couldn't possibly see how we could lose. The thought never entered my mind, even when NC took the lead in the second half. We just believed. We poured out onto Wisconsin Avenue in the pouring rain in what was the best party of my life -- perhaps with the exception of my wedding and the arrival of our children.

What I really want to know is how many of you Scoopers still have Wells Street parking meters. Or part of the magnometers from Mitchell Field?

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2017, 09:30:05 PM »
40 years ago tonight, I was one of a couple thousand people in Brooks Memorial Union. We watched the game together. I'd been following Marquette since 1965 and was a junior. I was there with my future wife, who couldn't give a rat's backside about basketball but knew a good party when she saw it.

I couldn't possibly see how we could lose. The thought never entered my mind, even when NC took the lead in the second half. We just believed. We poured out onto Wisconsin Avenue in the pouring rain in what was the best party of my life -- perhaps with the exception of my wedding and the arrival of our children.

What I really want to know is how many of you Scoopers still have Wells Street parking meters. Or part of the magnometers from Mitchell Field?
And you married her?
Goal is National Championship

Phuket MU Fan

• Starter
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2017, 09:38:14 PM »
Have been a die hard MU fan since Brian Brunkhorst graduated from my high school and played for Marquette.  Unfortunately, during the tournament I was on a nuclear fast attack sub in the Med with a hundred of my closest friends trailing a Russian missle sub.  I knew MU had made the tournament, but didn't find out they won it all until two weeks after it was over.  Back in those days you received no news while you were on patrol.  Missing that tournament run was one of my only regrets for spending time in the service. Am counting on Wojo to take us back there one more time.  He'd better not let me down.  ;D

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2017, 09:39:58 PM »

Our flight arrived back in Milwaukee about an hour after the team so we didn't witness the welcome, but the airport was totally trashed.  Must've been a great party....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2017, 09:48:19 PM »

Eh? Speak up, you young whippersnapper! I cain't hear ye!!!!

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2017, 09:57:52 PM »
With my dad watching.  A few years later chose Marquette.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2017, 10:00:25 PM »

Harvard's loss, my friend.

I had trouble spelling Havrard. They got a restraining order to keep me at least 1,000 feet from campus. I threatened to go to Yale and they offered to pay my tuition.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2017, 10:02:13 PM »
Sir Lawrence...Me Too! Watched the game on 7th floor TV room at McCormick before heading out for the revelry. Remember someone pouring one of those large cans of Foster's Lager over my head in the rain and thinking how much it burned my eyes. Was that you!?!  ;)

mufvr

• Walk-On
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2017, 10:05:14 PM »
Crazy night!  Thank god for Milwaukee's sake there was a light rain that night.  The team's arrival at the airport at 2:00 AM was insane; 10,000 drunk fans waiting to greet them.  Memories that will never be lost.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2017, 10:19:45 PM »
Have been a die hard MU fan since Brian Brunkhorst graduated from my high school and played for Marquette.  Unfortunately, during the tournament I was on a nuclear fast attack sub in the Med with a hundred of my closest friends trailing a Russian missle sub.  I knew MU had made the tournament, but didn't find out they won it all until two weeks after it was over.  Back in those days you received no news while you were on patrol.  Missing that tournament run was one of my only regrets for spending time in the service. Am counting on Wojo to take us back there one more time.  He'd better not let me down.  ;D

Thank you for your service!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2017, 01:44:24 AM »
Phuket Fan

From Abbottsford to Phuket, you must have a lot of stories to tell. Thank you for your service and hope life in Phuket is as good as it sounds. 
I would bet finding a hot beef like home in Phuket would be quite the challenge. Sounds like the beach makes it worth it.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2017, 01:57:39 AM »
4ever

Will always be thankful for the Cloud Piercer for the KState win. Never would have predicted that, but he came up big and rest is history.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2017, 07:55:56 AM »
Funny thin', he sat down next ta me for most of the next game. Neva new Jim was capable of smilin' 'til dat infamous dey in Oklahoma City, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2017, 10:42:26 AM »
And you married her?

I did indeed. She has been Ms. Dgies for 37 years and has been a great sport about my addiction to MU Basketball. Doesn't go very often, but looks the other way when I do.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 10:47:40 AM by dgies9156 »

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command

4th and State

• Starter
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2017, 01:17:02 PM »
Watched this game in its entirety for the first time the other night (I know, inexcusable).  It is amazing how much the game has changed.  few things that stood out:

1) Only guy who would drive to the basket was Butch Lee.  Everyone else who drove would pull up for a jump shot and avoid contact.
2) Much more sportsmanship in those days.
3) with no 3 point shot was zone D more popular then?  Why wouldn't teams just pack it in?  MU zone defense looked tough to crack most of the game.
3) A lot of travel calls.  Although, there were more travels called this year, so maybe not that much different anymore.

feedback