[Today at 07:12:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by mileskishnish72
[Today at 04:49:35 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Shooter McGavin
[June 14, 2024, 11:05:04 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by mug644
[June 14, 2024, 11:02:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Graduate Transfers  (Read 6732 times)

silverback

• Starter
Graduate Transfers
« on: March 19, 2017, 02:53:04 AM »
There may not be such a thing, but...

Are there any sites that list/collect the names of available graduate transfers nationally?

chren21

• All American

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
Re: Graduate Transfers
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 07:52:25 AM »

The one I have interest in (But I don't see him listed) is
      Anthony Dailer
      Yale
      PG 6-6  190
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

manny31

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 08:45:54 AM »
This was in the recruiting thread..... Along with some incoming Freshmen that may be available due to coaching changes. I would like to see a grad PF to show Theo the ropes, IMO that is what next year's team will need the most.

brewcity77
All American

Re: Recruiting as of 3/15/17
« Reply #6026 on: March 17, 2017, 01:36:38 PM »
Quote from: Lazar's Headband on March 17, 2017, 12:47:32 PM
Thanks TAMU.  Now, who's got a list of potential grad transfers.

If Jeffrey Carroll of of Okie State came free, I'd be very happy to add him.  Rs-Jr, great athlete and shooter.

A few names I've seen already:

Geno Thorpe, SG, South Florida
Jack Whitman, C, William & Mary
Nick Fuller, F, Nebraska
Khris Lane, F, Longwood

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 10:27:56 AM »
Any chance Duane Wilson grad transfers? 

He is a redshirt junior meaning he's been in school four years and could have accumulated enough credits to graduate in May.

Yes, he is emotional and loyal to MU but if a young highly ranked program, that could be in line for a National Championship (i.e., Lousiville, Kansas, Mich State) is looking for veteran leadership, would he be interested?

No, I'm not suggesting he will but rather trying to remind everyone that grad transfers go both ways.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 10:32:54 AM »
Most likely Wilson and Andrew Rowsey could both go grad transfer. From everything I've heard, I'd be surprised if either left.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 10:35:42 AM »
Most likely Wilson and Andrew Rowsey could both go grad transfer. From everything I've heard, I'd be surprised if either left.

Rowsey is from Virginia.  If a Virginia, UNC and/or Duke have a spot for him this fall, and he can graduate in May, is he too at risk of leaving?

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 10:44:39 AM »
Any chance Duane Wilson grad transfers? 

He is a redshirt junior meaning he's been in school four years and could have accumulated enough credits to graduate in May.

Yes, he is emotional and loyal to MU but if a young highly ranked program, that could be in line for a National Championship (i.e., Lousiville, Kansas, Mich State) is looking for veteran leadership, would he be interested?

No, I'm not suggesting he will but rather trying to remind everyone that grad transfers go both ways.

No way Louisville, Kansas, or UNC take Wilson. They are not going to get leadership from an end of the bench player that has never been at their school. Guess it's time to buy more Apple stock.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 10:51:35 AM »

Agreed.  I'd be really, really surprised.  Rowsey has a guaranteed major role on a very solid Power 6 team.  And Duane will likely be named Captain next year and get significant minutes, even if off the bench.  Why mess with that?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 10:56:51 AM »
No way Louisville, Kansas, or UNC take Wilson. They are not going to get leadership from an end of the bench player that has never been at their school.

So Katin provided no leadership whatsoever?  He came from USC and was a bench player for MU.

And you're positive a highly ranked team might not want to add a fifth year senior that might provide the leadership and/or experience should someone go down during the season.  MU certainly could have used a Wilson type in 2008 when DJ broke his foot.  And remember other teams see Wilson as a starter in the Big East (he was the last seven games) that was also a  tourney team.

So if you want to argue he is going to stay, why not argue a positive reason instead of essentially saying he sucks (or not good enough for a ranked team).

Again, I'm not trying to say he is leaving, and I do not want him to leave.  It's just everyone here see grad transfers as a one-way street, we only get them, never see them leave here for elsewhere.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 12:22:03 PM by Dread Pirate Roberts »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2017, 10:57:14 AM »
Rowsey is from Virginia.  If a Virginia, UNC and/or Duke have a spot for him this fall, and he can graduate in May, is he too at risk of leaving?

It's possible, but it would be very surprising to me. Duane has family here and strong ties to Milwaukee. If he leaves, it's probably to earn money. For Rowsey, Wojo gave him a chance and this offense is perfectly tailored to his skillset.

Everything I've heard leads me to believe they will both be back. But anything could happen. I wouldn't worry too much about it, as I think the odds of adding two grad transfers is higher than losing one, and we've seen how hard it is to add more than one in a single summer.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2017, 11:03:44 AM »
I'm in agreement with brew here.  I see the prospects of DU leaving at below 15%.  I'd put Rowsey in the same range.  Neither seems unhappy in any way.  And I can't think of a situation that would be materially better for them although I suppose it's possible.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2017, 11:09:33 AM »
So Katin provided no leadership whatsoever?  He came from USC and was a bench player for MU.

And you're positive a highly ranked team might not want to add a fifth year senior that might provide the leadership and/or experience should someone go down during the season.  MU certainly could have used a Wilson type in 2008 when DJ broke his foot.  And remember other teams see Wilson as a starter in the Big East (he was the last seven games) that was also a  tourney team.

So if you want to argue he is going to say, why not argue a positive reason instead of essentially saying he sucks (or not good enough for a ranked team).

Again, I'm not trying to say he is leaving, and I do not want him to leave.  It's just everyone here see grad transfers as a one-way street, we only get them, never see them leave here for elsewhere.

Yeah, I'm sure Roy Williams, Bill Self, Coach K, Tom Izzo, Tony Bennett, Coach Cal, and Steve Alford are sitting around their phones refreshing a guy's Twitter and Instagram pages for the news he's going to be a graduate transfer that averaged 16 mpg, 5 ppg, 2 rpg, and 1.5 apg on a bubble BE team.

Click.  Bait.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2017, 11:18:28 AM »
It's just everyone here see grad transfers as a one-way street, we only get them, never see them leave here for elsewhere.

It has been discussed here many times before.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2017, 11:33:48 AM »
But that would require actually going through other threads. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2017, 11:43:01 AM »
It has been discussed here many times before.

Everything has been discussed here many times.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2017, 11:45:35 AM »

Then this is untrue:

"It's just everyone here see grad transfers as a one-way street, we only get them, never see them leave here for elsewhere."

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2017, 11:47:01 AM »

Why don't we ever talk about football? That's what MU needs to be elite.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2017, 12:14:47 PM »

So if you want to argue he is going to say, why not argue a positive reason instead of essentially saying he sucks (or not good enough for a ranked team).

Lol
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2017, 12:20:25 PM »

Then this is untrue:

"It's just everyone here see grad transfers as a one-way street, we only get them, never see them leave here for elsewhere."

It's historically true  ... Lockett, Carlino and Reinhardt in while no one left.  It is also true that we have been active in the grad transfer market looking to Shonn Miller, Damian Lee last year alone.

On the other side, Rowsey and Wilson are the first two starting juniors (basketball wise) with four years of college (academic wise).   It has been many years, if ever, that MU has had one, if not two, decent plays that are in a position to actually grad transfer.

So yes, I think many "forgot" they could leave here too.

But I know, you all hung up on "everyone" as your specialty is taking everything as literally as possible while not looking at the broader meaning.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 12:27:34 PM by Dread Pirate Roberts »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2017, 12:27:00 PM »
Yeah, I'm sure Roy Williams, Bill Self, Coach K, Tom Izzo, Tony Bennett, Coach Cal, and Steve Alford are sitting around their phones refreshing a guy's Twitter and Instagram pages for the news he's going to be a graduate transfer that averaged 16 mpg, 5 ppg, 2 rpg, and 1.5 apg on a bubble BE team.

Click.  Bait.

In the post-game interview after West Virginia beat ND yesterday, while still standing on the court, Huggins was asked how is he going to celebrate his win and another S16 trip.  He said, deadly serious, he was going to walk into the locker room and talk to his team and then go recruiting.

So, yes, the Roy Williams, Bill Self, Coach K, Tom Izzo, Tony Bennett, Coach Cal, and Steve Alford are indeed sitting around their phones refreshing a guy's Twitter and Instagram pages. 

How do you think they got to their position?

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2017, 12:36:05 PM »
None of us know for sure that Duane and Rowsey are in position to graduate.  Duane is more likely since he has been at MU for four full years and summers, but less likely Rowsey is unless he took a full course load both years he has been at MU.  Its definitely possible, but not a given.

That said, I see no way Rowsey leaves.  He is a major part of this team and by all accounts loves Marquette.  Duane I could see, maybe, but how in demand is he really going to be?  Plus, as others have said, he has a little boy and his family is from Milwaukee.  Leaving could be complicated for him.  His post game comments after the loss Friday night certainly didn't sound like a guy who was on his way out the door.

As for adding grad transfers - I can't wait.  I think this is the year Wojo gets us a gem. We've had some really nice players in Lockett,  Carlino and KR, but not an all conference type player.  Wojo has shown he is willing to go after the big fish, and with our return to the NCAAs and with the talent we have coming back, MU is going to be very attractive for grad transfers.  A 6'7 shut down defensive wing that could play the 3 or the 4 and fill it up would be absolutely unreal.  I know, I know - those guys don't grow on trees, but I assure you there will be a few names that will fit the bill.  TAMU - can't wait for your list!

After that, I hope he uses the other available scholarship on a traditional transfer.  I'd be fine if we landed Elliot, but I'd prefer a transfer.   
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2017, 12:39:23 PM »
It's historically true  ... Lockett, Carlino and Reinhardt in while no one left.  It is also true that we have been active in the grad transfer market looking to Shonn Miller, Damian Lee last year alone.

On the other side, Rowsey and Wilson are the first two starting juniors (basketball wise) with four years of college (academic wise).   It has been many years, if ever, that MU has had one, if not two, decent plays that are in a position to actually grad transfer.

So yes, I think many "forgot" they could leave here too.

But I know, you all hung up on "everyone" as your specialty is taking everything as literally as possible while not looking at the broader meaning.

No.  I am saying that the possibility of graduate transfers out of Marquette has been repeatedly discussed here, especially this year with either Duane or Rowsey.

Your statement was wrong.  You're spin suggested otherwise is pathetic.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2017, 12:43:56 PM »
There may not be such a thing, but...

Are there any sites that list/collect the names of available graduate transfers nationally?

Paint Touches compiles one every year. I'm currently working on it.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2017, 12:48:42 PM »

No.  I am saying that the possibility of graduate transfers out of Marquette has been repeatedly discussed here, especially this year with either Duane or Rowsey.

Your statement was wrong.  You're spin suggested otherwise is pathetic.

Everything is repeatedly discussed here, including discussing that everything is repeatedly discussed here.

feedback