[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MU82
[Today at 01:58:18 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 01:49:43 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Haanif... Your Table is Ready.  (Read 16797 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Haanif... Your Table is Ready.
« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2017, 11:37:31 PM »
that was my point.

I'm pretty sure that was Jay Bee's point too. So you guys must agree!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2017, 08:06:03 AM »
Soph vs. Frosh year: Improved ORtg (106.7 vs. 101.1); OR% and DR% improved from 1.6 & 10.8 to 3.4 & 14.5; turnover rate reduced from 24.4 to 18.5.

I'm wondering if this stat which appears to show Haanif hasn't been worse offensively this year is a little misleading.  During his slump Haanif hasn't had that many negative plays but he hasn't done anything to score or create scoring opportunities.  Because MU is so good at scoring this year doesn't he get the benefit of that in his ORtg just by being on the court?  From the eye test that seems like what is going on.  Last year on the other hand since he was the team's second option he had to create much more of the scoring but in doing so had more negative plays.  What we need is for the offensive/defensive Hannif of last year to return without the negative plays.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2017, 10:20:54 AM »
I'm wondering if this stat which appears to show Haanif hasn't been worse offensively this year is a little misleading.  During his slump Haanif hasn't had that many negative plays but he hasn't done anything to score or create scoring opportunities.  Because MU is so good at scoring this year doesn't he get the benefit of that in his ORtg just by being on the court?  From the eye test that seems like what is going on.  Last year on the other hand since he was the team's second option he had to create much more of the scoring but in doing so had more negative plays.  What we need is for the offensive/defensive Hannif of last year to return without the negative plays.

Your Ortg doesn't get boosted just by being on the court. People may not believe it, but Haanif was more of a positive on the court this year than his freshman year. There were just a lot better offensive options on the floor this year so by comparison he looks a lot worse. Increased efficiency doesn't always equal better raw numbers. I would also its fair to say that Haanif had very good numbers in some games but not so good against tougher competition.
TAMU

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2017, 10:49:48 AM »
On the season, Cheatham improved, but pretending he didn't slump is simply inaccurate. His conference offensive rating was better last year than this. His conference turnover rate was identical. His 2PFG%, 3PFG%, and eFG% were all down.

Looking at Pomeroy, he really fell off after Villanova. 7 of 10 games with an ORtg below 100 (2 non-qualifiers). 23 of his 51 turnovers came in those 12 games despite watching his minutes and opportunities reduced.

Haanif did very well in the non-conference. So well that his numbers on the whole are better than last year despite a sharp downturn in conference play. But his slump and diminished offensive play was very real.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2017, 11:31:55 AM »
Re-read the first page of posts.  95% of that is not good.  I stand by my original post.  Three pages of speculation on one player in particular, including whether he is "good enough" or is thinking of "transferring" is not supportive.  Nor is a bunch of adults telling him he needs to put in "hard work", the implication being that he wasn't working hard to start with.

The first line of the first post is "time to step up, kid."  If someone said that to your son (if you have one) in your presence you'd knock his lights out.

Yikes. Leaving no doubt as to why coaches are fleeing youth sports at a rapid rate.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2017, 12:13:45 PM »
Yikes. Leaving no doubt as to why coaches are fleeing youth sports at a rapid rate.
My kids get "time to step up" or "you're better than that, you need to show me next time" all the time, not from their parent coached teams but from the teams with paid coaches (8yr old boys baseball and 10yr old boys basketball, btw).  And quite honestly, it's supported by the parents because it's said when the kid isn't doing his best.

My vibe from the board is the VAST majority of posters want Haanif to be the best he can be.  Are some jerks?  Sure, but that's not what anyone should take from the thread.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2017, 12:25:37 PM »
I've coached >25 youth teams in multiple sports.  When I have had the type of player who has the ability and mental acumen to handle it, I have told them at crucial moments that it was time for them to lead.     When I have had a player who exhibited leadership abilities, I have encouraged them to use it in a positive fashion and bring up their teammates.    One thing I have noted over the years is that most teams take on the personality of the best 1-2 players.    If they are pouters and whiners, the vibe of the team goes silent when they start acting out.     When the best players are also good teammates, the team is laughing and singing and handles adversity and the inevitable losses much better.   
So, I am patient with Haanif.   Players go through slumps and lose confidence.   Sometimes they break out during the season, sometimes it takes the offseason to build it back up.    I have confidence that he will play better next year.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2017, 12:27:39 PM »
My kids get "time to step up" or "you're better than that, you need to show me next time" all the time, not from their parent coached teams but from the teams with paid coaches (8yr old boys baseball and 10yr old boys basketball, btw).  And quite honestly, it's supported by the parents because it's said when the kid isn't doing his best.

My vibe from the board is the VAST majority of posters want Haanif to be the best he can be.  Are some jerks?  Sure, but that's not what anyone should take from the thread.

Your town has paid coaches for 8 year olds boy's baseball? Yet another sign of the apocalypse.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 19, 2017, 12:31:29 PM »
Lots of places have paid coaches for 8 year olds.   I'm not one of them. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #84 on: March 19, 2017, 12:57:28 PM »
I think his biggest problem was just nerves or lack of confidence.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/YrtS2_TfbeY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/YrtS2_TfbeY</a>
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 01:03:11 PM by keefe »

Death on call

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2017, 01:13:48 PM »
Not what you posted.  You said his numbers were better.

No. I listed stats for BOTH YEARS. If you think when I posted that he had a 101 ORtg and terrible 24% turnover rate as a freshman that I wasn't indicating his freshman year numbers weren't that great, that's on you.

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #86 on: March 19, 2017, 01:19:34 PM »
He'll be back and better next season. He's committed to getting better

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #87 on: March 19, 2017, 01:42:36 PM »
I hope I am wrong. He also may end up being a mid-season transfer like Carter and Cohen. I think Hauser starts at three and who knows how good Cain is. You also have Wilson recently starting over him and Anim. There is plenty of competition at the three. He started the first 50 (?) games of his career and I just do not see him staying if he is not going to be a key player. He could have a great summer and work himself back into a key spot, but all the other players will also be working on to improve.

Agree.  It's sad but the parade of talent has passed HC.  N

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #88 on: March 19, 2017, 03:06:16 PM »
That's the thing.  You're not a coach.  You are some guy on a message board.  If Wojo says this to him it comes with the territory.  If some fan/alumnist were to walk up to him on the sidewalk and say "you need to step up, kid" would that be appropriate?

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
« Reply #89 on: March 19, 2017, 04:31:28 PM »
Maybe I missed it...but what were his minute averages FR vs. SOPH year?
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #90 on: March 19, 2017, 07:17:27 PM »
That's the thing.  You're not a coach.  You are some guy on a message board.  If Wojo says this to him it comes with the territory.  If some fan/alumnist were to walk up to him on the sidewalk and say "you need to step up, kid" would that be appropriate?

Yes.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #91 on: March 19, 2017, 07:20:29 PM »
Maybe I missed it...but what were his minute averages FR vs. SOPH year?
its more about the comparison of BE season to BE season, which is when his slump occurred.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #92 on: March 19, 2017, 08:26:20 PM »
TAMU

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #93 on: March 19, 2017, 10:42:53 PM »
Tracking my interest level in this post...  :P

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #94 on: March 19, 2017, 11:10:31 PM »
No, not really.
I agree with this analysis.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #95 on: March 19, 2017, 11:20:38 PM »
There is a difference between stating that a player needs to elevate his game and belittling or insulting him.  Glad our players are tougher than some of the snowflakes on this board.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

MU82

• All American
« Reply #96 on: March 19, 2017, 11:40:14 PM »
I've coached >25 youth teams in multiple sports.  When I have had the type of player who has the ability and mental acumen to handle it, I have told them at crucial moments that it was time for them to lead.     When I have had a player who exhibited leadership abilities, I have encouraged them to use it in a positive fashion and bring up their teammates.    One thing I have noted over the years is that most teams take on the personality of the best 1-2 players.    If they are pouters and whiners, the vibe of the team goes silent when they start acting out.     When the best players are also good teammates, the team is laughing and singing and handles adversity and the inevitable losses much better.   
So, I am patient with Haanif.   Players go through slumps and lose confidence.   Sometimes they break out during the season, sometimes it takes the offseason to build it back up.    I have confidence that he will play better next year.

Great post, tower.

I just completed my 4th season as a middle-school basketball coach. At the end of each season, I write an evaluation and improvement plan for each player. The first section is "Strengths," the second is "Needs Work" and the third is the "Improvement Plan."

At our season-ending party, before I hand them out, I tell the girls that they know I am an honest guy and I encourage them to accept the "Needs Work" section in the manner intended. I remind them it would do them no good at all if I just told them how wonderful they are and that nothing needs improvement at all. I am extremely blunt - not mean-spirited in the least, but very blunt.

The response to these has been incredible. After this season, three different players sent me emails thanking me for my honesty and promising to work on what I suggested. Similar reactions in previous seasons, including many supportive notes from parents. You should see the tribute video that the 8th-graders made for me at the end of this season - made me blush with embarrassment because it was so nice, and made me shed many tears because it was so touching.

Kids want to be guided and they want constructive criticism, as long as it is meted out with the right intentions and presented in a kind way.

Now, as for this thread, I do not see anything wrong with at least 95% of what's been said in it. And I'll say here what I've said before: If a player is somehow threatened by the rather benign and mostly obvious observations in a thread like this, he isn't tough enough to play D1 basketball.

I don't think that last sentence describes Haani at all. I think he will come back next season after having improved a ton and will make important contributions to a team that will exceed this year's accomplishments.

I was VERY impressed by his Instagram post. Showed a lot of maturity and determination.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #97 on: March 20, 2017, 04:55:52 PM »
Haanif's role just got a lot bigger for next year with Duane's departure.  The opportunity is there for him if he rights the ship this summer. 

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #98 on: March 20, 2017, 05:07:18 PM »
Haanif's role just got a lot bigger for next year with Duane's departure.  The opportunity is there for him if he rights the ship this summer.

Hopefully with his right hand!
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #99 on: March 21, 2017, 04:06:35 PM »
Nvm
No Finish Line

feedback