[Today at 11:00:11 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by MU82
[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 10 Seed vs 7 South Carolina 8:50pm Friday  (Read 10835 times)

mr.MUskie

• All American
Re: 10 Seed vs 7 South Carolina
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2017, 06:19:03 PM »
BEAT THE COCKS!

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2017, 06:21:52 PM »
Was listening to the selection show on ESPN radio-
They too were commenting on the fact tha SC got a 'home' game and how much fun it'll be in SC when the gamecocks take on Duke in round 2. 

Needless to say, I switched to NPR immediately. 

dajudge

• Starter
« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2017, 06:33:08 PM »
http://www.scout.com/college/marquette/story/545125-celebrating-alumni-jim-chones
It was 40+ years ago but here are 2 memories I have of it
After the Black Swan nailed Riker with the ball, Riker rushed him and Lackey hit him 3xs in the face before the kid could even get his hands up!!!  Allie wanted no part of the frivolity!!!
Funny now but it was freaking scary at the time!!

Marquettehoops.com: Can you talk about the fight with South Carolina and your tussle with 7'1'' Danny Traylor?
Chones: For starters, the two coaches, Al and Frank McGuire, didn't like each other very much. You know what it is like when two Irish guys don't like each other, they don't hold back. As for the game, we didn't get a call for probably three quarters. They also had a 6-11 left hander who was just the enforcer in the ACC. I think his name was Richert or something. The entire South Carolina team just beat up other teams. Dean Smith even petitioned the league to put an end to it. So they had a huge team. They were very skilled too. There were cheap shots flying during the game like the kind that we would only see on the playground.
I will never forget it. Bob Lackey was on the free throw line and Richert took the ball and threw it at Lackey after he made his first free throw. Immediately after that, Lackey looked at Al and Al didn't move. He was just sitting on the bench with his legs crossed. We all knew what that meant. Lackey picked the ball up and drilled Richert in the face. All of a sudden, there were people all over the floor and the two teams were fighting.
In the middle of the fight, Danny Traylor looks at me and was probably thinking, "He looks pretty skinny, I'll go after him." I actually got the guy pretty good. I popped him right in the chin actually. Soon after that, a security guard from the arena peeled me off of him. This guard opened his jacket and pulled out a gun on me and then, I knew the fight was over. But we whipped the (junk) out of them. The fans kept calling us racial names because we were mostly black and they didn't have any black players. That was the times, you know? Through all of this, Al was still sitting on the bench with his legs crossed. Al finally got up and took all of us off of the floor and into the locker room. They already had all of our things packed in our bags and instead of staying over night, they told us we were getting out of South Carolina as soon as we could. It was incredible.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #78 on: March 12, 2017, 06:33:34 PM »
Last game I remember MU vs SC is the Alaskan Shootout in the 3 amigo's opening year with AMO playing from the higher limits of the atmosphere.
http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/112705aaa.html

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2017, 06:41:44 PM »
WE GOT THIS!

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2017, 06:43:25 PM »
Was also pissed when I saw the home game for a 7 even before MU was named.
Thought it was a screw job, but like the posts here - we can do this.
Thanks for the stroll down memory lane, Frenns. I remember that game - it was a Sunday and I was actually studying (a rarity) cuz I had a big test the next day. Got so pissed during that game, and fight, that I had to stop (studying). Screwed up badly the next day but was lucky enough to ace the make-up.

So happy to be involved in the process again, and that the seniors will get at least a taste of the dance. It would be great to add a W, but I don't like our chances vs. Duke.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2017, 06:49:50 PM »
+2.5 in Vegas, pretty big spread between Vegas and Kenpom

That's likely because it's effectively a road game. Pomeroy has it as neutral site.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2017, 07:11:37 PM »
On the plus side - I think SC is the weakest 7 seed even though KenPom disagrees (Dayton). For us, I think SC is easier than Dayton.
On the minus side, how on earth does a 7 get a home game?  Why not keep the match up but swap the region? 
This reinforces my belief that the selection committee is looking for matchup "stories".  Probably a couple of oldsters remember the McGuire classic and the younger ones want to see Wojo vs. Mentor. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 12, 2017, 07:15:32 PM »
On the plus side - I think SC is the weakest 7 seed even though KenPom disagrees (Dayton). For us, I think SC is easier than Dayton.
On the minus side, how on earth does a 7 get a home game?  Why not keep the match up but swap the region? 
This reinforces my belief that the selection committee is looking for matchup "stories".  Probably a couple of oldsters remember the McGuire classic and the younger ones want to see Wojo vs. Mentor. 

Yeah they could have easily swapped out this game for Michigan v. Oklahoma State. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #84 on: March 12, 2017, 07:19:20 PM »

Yeah they could have easily swapped out this game for Michigan v. Oklahoma State.
I think Michigan's reward for winning the BIG was Indy.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2017, 07:21:26 PM »

Disagree.  I fully expect that the two slots saved were the Bucky #8 and the Big Blue #7 pending the Big 10 championship.  They weren't slotting us there because of the common opponent thing.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #86 on: March 12, 2017, 07:24:21 PM »
Disagree.  I fully expect that the two slots saved were the Bucky #8 and the Big Blue #7 pending the Big 10 championship.  They weren't slotting us there because of the common opponent thing.

If that's the case, they still could have had UW play Oklahoma State in Greenville. 

BossplayaOtto

• All American
« Reply #87 on: March 12, 2017, 07:24:56 PM »

my thoughts exactly.

EaglesNest

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #88 on: March 12, 2017, 07:38:09 PM »
Friday night game. Just got announced

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #89 on: March 12, 2017, 07:41:24 PM »
Let's go out and win.

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #90 on: March 12, 2017, 07:43:35 PM »
FWIW Bilas and Greenberg both take MU over SC.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #91 on: March 12, 2017, 07:54:18 PM »
When can beat SC and duke just need to play hard

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #92 on: March 12, 2017, 08:05:03 PM »
Wojo's interview post selection.  Pretty generic but since it's the first one he's given...........calls out for Marquette fans to show and gives a nod to "we may have some other fans there pulling for us"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH9hKDI_i3Q

Edit:  there's also Katin and Marcus interviews (youtube should automatically pull those when you click on Wojo's) but i thought i'd link Luke's interview for mr. sand-knit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_02YtZM3tU
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 08:10:23 PM by naginiF »

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #93 on: March 12, 2017, 08:10:05 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/AlMcGuiresWarriors/posts/1146302855482196:0

The most vicious and chaotic brawl in Marquette history erupted on this date in 1972, when Al's 2nd ranked Warriors traveled to Columbia, South Carolina to defeat future Milwaukee Buck Brian Winters and Frank McGuire's 4th ranked South Carolina Gamecocks 72-71 in an epic, nationally televised contest that was so wild and intense it became the subject of a feature article in the following week's Sports Illustrated.

It was ugly and racial.

I remember watching the game in Nashville and thinking this game was on the verge of getting out of control.  Warrior fans hadn't experienced anything quite like that before -- it was what we in the south knew to be real in light of such difficulties faced by Perry Wallace of Vanderbilt and Henry Harris of Auburn. It was really bad.

By 1974 we played South Carolina again at the Arena and beat them convincingly. Don't think we played them since.

WarhawkWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #94 on: March 12, 2017, 08:16:00 PM »
Wojo likely senses a true concern about our fans.  Other than DePaul we had by far the weakest showing of fans at the Garden.  We do not travel well and if it weren't for the old MU alums living in the East we were pathetically represented.  Creighton fans wer unbelievable and approached 1/2 of the fans at their championship game. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #95 on: March 12, 2017, 08:16:42 PM »
It was ugly and racial.

I remember watching the game in Nashville and thinking this game was on the verge of getting out of control.  Warrior fans hadn't experienced anything quite like that before -- it was what we in the south knew to be real in light of such difficulties faced by Perry Wallace of Vanderbilt and Henry Harris of Auburn. It was really bad.

By 1974 we played South Carolina again at the Arena and beat them convincingly. Don't think we played them since.

We played them almost every year in the 70s up through the early 80s. 

GGGG

• All American
Re: 10 Seed vs 7 South Carolina 8:50pm Friday
« Reply #96 on: March 12, 2017, 08:26:24 PM »

You were spot on:

Nicole Auerbach‏Verified account @NicoleAuerbach  4m4 minutes ago
Committee chair Mark Hollis says Michigan wasn't a No. 7 seed this morning -- swapped with No. 8 Wisconsin by beating them.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #97 on: March 12, 2017, 11:19:27 PM »

We played them almost every year in the 70s up through the early 80s.

And more recently in the Great Alaska Shootout in Nov 2005...

http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/south_carolina

feedback