Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Best transfers in MU history  (Read 33961 times)

real chili 83

• All American
Re: Best transfers in MU history
« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2017, 02:22:00 PM »
So are you the real Goose from the good old Days?

The real Goose does read, and very, very rarely post here. 

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2017, 02:24:14 PM »
Already mentioned but Ron Curry was a great transfer. Not best all time but best of the nineties.

We went from a team who rarely scored in transition to a good transition team. Man he was fantastic in the open court.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #77 on: March 11, 2017, 02:27:26 PM »
#22's mother made salads, not a floor washer, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Goose

• All American
« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2017, 04:27:34 PM »
Real

You are correct on the real Goose reading and posting on very rare occasion. One of my all time favorites.

DavidBoone2inchesTaller

• Starter
« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2017, 04:48:29 PM »
I believe he is Gato's and Brew's little bro. Could be wrong...but his age would be about right and so would his knowledge of players.
DavidBoone2InchesTaller was a Senior Message Board Poster at MarquetteHoops.com for 17 yrs.. He made over 10,000 posts with an accuracy rate of 99.9%. Incredibly this means since 2006 he made less than 3 inaccurate statements, earning him the nickname "Top Gun Poster" among his peers.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #80 on: March 11, 2017, 06:35:36 PM »
Chones was before my time.   I am choosing to not comment on players I didn't see.     Kinsella had one good game in 2 years.   Another of Crean's mis-fires.     Jamil Lott off court?     I have not heard those legends/rumors.
Kinsella got hurt at least twice in his career at MU. He was more derailed by injuries than not being good.

RideMyBuycks

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 11, 2017, 09:56:34 PM »
Jeronne Maymon. Transferring out counts equally I hope.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 11, 2017, 10:39:47 PM »
Pretty sure Trend Blackledge still holds the NCAA record for Sportscenter Top 10 plays per 40 minutes.

The guy would play 30 sec of garbage time and have some sort of amazing dunk or blocked shot seemingly every time.

But I'll never get over the dropped pass in the final seconds against Notre Dame.  Would've had a wide open dunk to take the lead, capping a miraculous rally.

He shouldn't have been in the game.

Thanks for whoever posted the YouTube video.  I watched a little of the famous '94 game against UK that I had never seen before on an attached video.

silverback

• Starter
« Reply #83 on: March 12, 2017, 12:06:12 PM »
Anybody remember David Boone? Huck. Power forward. Good post player.

Also Walter Downing out of DePaul.

silverback

• Starter
« Reply #84 on: March 12, 2017, 12:09:32 PM »
Evidently A LOT of people remember david Boone.

Should we include Fisher?

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2017, 12:44:22 PM »
Real

You are correct on the real Goose reading and posting on very rare occasion. One of my all time favorites.

C'mon, get real!

Afroman

• All American
« Reply #86 on: March 12, 2017, 01:27:51 PM »
How about a list of those who transferred out?

I'l start ... Vic Lazzaretti

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #87 on: March 12, 2017, 03:01:08 PM »
So are you the real Goose from the good old Days?
No He(poster Goose) is not....but Gary Brell..the "real" Goose...who played HS BB at PiusXI ...was also was a transfer (started out at North Dakota, if I remember right). Great weak side rebounder
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #88 on: March 12, 2017, 04:03:28 PM »
Houwarrior

Correct, but note this Goose also played HS ball at Pius XI. Note, it was a very short lived HS career, but still a career. The real Goose was far more than a weak side rebounder, but yes, a very good rebounder.

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #89 on: March 12, 2017, 04:39:36 PM »
Ed Daniels transferred from Indiana before Bobby Knight's first season.

he ended up being MU's sixth man on the 1974 team that made the NCAA Finals.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #90 on: March 12, 2017, 04:41:10 PM »
Old warrior

Easy Ed was decent player. 

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #91 on: March 12, 2017, 04:54:50 PM »

UP transferred in from Ohio U., hey?

Oops.

Sorry. Hey Ulice, forgive me :-)

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #92 on: March 13, 2017, 09:54:37 AM »
Houwarrior

Correct, but note this Goose also played HS ball at Pius XI. Note, it was a very short lived HS career, but still a career. The real Goose was far more than a weak side rebounder, but yes, a very good rebounder.
So, with your similar history... are you Goose II, the Sequel? lol

I agree on Brell. I saw him play already in his HS years. (I was a Tosa boy too). He could do many things well..rebounder extraordinaire..great also on mid range jumpers, defense, and put backs...he was fun to watch...a very active player.

At MU he did a Kaepernick thing too....looked down and away during national anthem in a Vietnam protest. My favorite hippie.

http://www.si.com/vault/1971/01/25/542222/crazy-cat-and-his-curious-warriors
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #93 on: March 13, 2017, 10:41:24 AM »
HOUWarrior

Not Goose II, just an old fan #31 from back in the day.

DavidBoone2inchesTaller

• Starter
« Reply #94 on: March 13, 2017, 11:12:22 AM »
Transfer Out= Shannon Smith
Transfer Out=John Ellenson
Transfer In = Jay Zulauf
Bad Transfer In = Keith Stewart 
DavidBoone2InchesTaller was a Senior Message Board Poster at MarquetteHoops.com for 17 yrs.. He made over 10,000 posts with an accuracy rate of 99.9%. Incredibly this means since 2006 he made less than 3 inaccurate statements, earning him the nickname "Top Gun Poster" among his peers.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #95 on: March 13, 2017, 11:23:52 AM »
David Boone

You know your stuff. Keith Stewart very low on my all time MU player list. Jay Z was high on my list, unfortunately not on the coach's list.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #96 on: March 13, 2017, 12:00:03 PM »
I know KR isn't considered one of the best ever for MU but he has really made a difference

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #97 on: March 13, 2017, 01:10:52 PM »

I agree on Brell. I saw him play already in his HS years. (I was a Tosa boy too). He could do many things well..rebounder extraordinaire..great also on mid range jumpers, defense, and put backs...he was fun to watch...a very active player.

At MU he did a Kaepernick thing too....looked down and away during national anthem in a Vietnam protest. My favorite hippie.

For a small school MU had more than its share of casualties during the war. I can remember the Marquette Tribune running a casualty count every week, at least 1 or 2; sometimes more. Really sad.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #98 on: March 13, 2017, 02:13:12 PM »
  another funny blast from past-involves "goose" johnny dee and the mustard handshake...

On today's date in 1971, Al's 2nd ranked Warriors defeated Austin Carr's 9th ranked Notre Dame Fighting Irish 71-66 at the Milwaukee Arena for Marquette's 50th consecutive home victory, avenging their only loss in the last 24 games, which was a double OT heartbreaker to Notre Dame the season before.

"Very rarely do we lose to a team the second time around," Al boasted.

The Warriors improved to 12-0 with the win, but it was Al's practice of pre-game handshakes that was the main topic of discussion after the game.

During pre-game introductions, Notre Dame coach Johnny Dee slipped senior Gary "Goose" Brell a packet of German mustard. The gesture was Dee's answer to Al's controversial practice of having his players shake hands with opposing coaches and players at introductions, seen by many as a cocky ploy to gain a psychological edge.

Dee's intended message was clear: Al and his Warriors were a bunch of 'hot dogs'.

Brell was the first Warrior introduced before the game and promptly threw Dee's packet of German mustard onto the Arena floor. Most of the other Warrios also turned down Dee's gag gift.

Said Brell later of Dee's stunt, "That really annoyed me. I don't know if he did it to be funny, or if he thought the game was a joke, or what. But it offended me. I'm German and I'm proud of my German heritage. It was German mustard; he insulted my nationality. I didn't think it was much of a joke."

Dee said the act was all in good fun. "I was just kidding," Dee offered after the game.

Said Roger Valdiserri, Notre Dame's PR man, in defense of Dee, "A psych move deserves a psych move," to which Dee nodded and puckishly asked, "What do you put on hot dogs?"

Despite Brell taking offense to the move, Al clearly thought it was a clever one. When made aware of it, Al smiled broadly and asked, "Did he do that?"

Unfortunately for the Irish, however, Dee's ploy backfired. Brell enjoyed one of his finest games as a Warrior, limiting Austin Carr, Notre Dame's leading scorer at 39.0 points per game, to just 4 points in the 1st half. With occasional help from Dean "The Dream" Meminger, Bob "The Black Swan" Lackey and Hugh McMahon, Brell held Carr to just 12 points in the 2nd half.

When asked how he felt after the game, Brell, one of the great characters in Marquette history, replied simply, "I'm tired."

According to a Sports Illustrated article, Brell credited his outstanding performance to "I Ching", a Far Eastern philosophy from which Brell said he received a "hexagram message" foretelling that he would be "The Great Restrainer against the Irish".

Due in no small part to the defensive play of Brell and his teammates, Marquette went into the intermission leading by 15 and led by as much as 17 in the 2nd half before a Notre Dame rally brought them to within 5 at 65-60 with 1 minute to play.

In the final 56 seconds, however, Meminger, fresh off an elbow to the mouth during a loose ball scramble, calmly sank 4 free throws and All-American Jim Chones scored on a layup to cement the victory for Marquette.

"You can't dig a hole that big against a team like this and expect to win," Dee lamented after the game. "It was one of those nights."

Chones led the Warriors with 20 points while Meminger contributed 19 in the winning effort.

"Dean was unbelievable-- dynamite," Al gushed after the game. "You see a guy like Maravich or Cousy and they're supposed to be the best. But there's no way they can be this good. I even told him during a timeout not to handle the ball so much, that he'd wear himself out. He went out and did it anyway."

But the handshake issue would not die with the Irish game.

The Raleigh Register of Beckley, West Virginia noted on December 31, 1971, some 11 months later that,

"The simple gesture of shaking hands has turned into a mental arm-wresting problem for fiery Al McGuire, coach of the No. 2 ranked Warriors.

As a result, he is ready to throw in the towel on the practice he instituted during his 1st season at the helm here in 1964. He said his Warriors would discontinue the practice of shaking hands with the opposing coaches and players before home games.

Recent refusals by visiting teams to accept the handshakes have resulted in hard feelings on both sides and came to a head in the Milwaukee Classic finale against Marshall on December 28, 1971.

The game ended with a touch of bitterness and some court-side name calling between the volatile McGuire and Marshall Coach Carl Tacy, causing considerable embarrassment to both schools.

'If it's going to cause so much trouble, we might as well quit doing it,' said McGuire.

The tradition of shaking hands during pre-game introductions began as a form of sportsmanship, but opposing coaches in recent games have viewed it as a psychological gimmick designed to help extend the Warrior's phenomenal home-floor winning streak.

The first to try to counteract any psychological advantage it gave to the Warriors was former Notre Dame coach Johnny Dee. He slipped the players tiny packets of mustard, jokingly indicating he felt the Warriors are 'Hot Dogs' by going through the elaborate hand shake routine.

The counter-psychology failed, however, and the Warriors beat the Irish.

This year, Minnesota players gathered in a tight huddle while the handshakes were offered and ignored the Warriors being introduced.

Marshall did likewise and that sparked a verbal feud during which McGuire and Tacy exchanged accusations of poor sportsmanship. After the Warriors' 74-72 victory, McGuire exploded and told Tacy just what he thought-- some of it in street language. Tacy later called McGuire a 'phony'.

McGuire denied that the handshake was strictly for psychological reasons and was irritated at the emphasis given on his team-record of 63 successive victories in the Milwaukee Arena. The Warriors have also won 27 of 28 road games-- a figure McGuire says critics of the long winning streak ignore.

As for the handshake, McGuire said every coach that comes to play the Warriors knew about it and if they didn't want to go along with it, it would be skipped."
don't...don't don't don't don't

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #99 on: March 13, 2017, 07:32:46 PM »

Hot dog with German mustard, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback