[Today at 10:40:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 10:35:41 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:14:22 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 09:51:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Vander - New Scouting Reports  (Read 3966 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Vander - New Scouting Reports
« on: March 02, 2017, 11:00:07 PM »
Two new scouting reports on Vander Blue. One report  notes  he comes from Marquettes defensively oriented culture.

http://thesixersense.com/2017/03/01/vander-blue-deserves-opportunity-philadelphia-76ers/

http://nothinbutnets.com/2017/02/27/brooklyn-nets-vander-blue/

Hoping Vander reaches his dream.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

burger

• All American
Re: Vander - New Scouting Reports
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 08:36:30 AM »
I actually don't get it.....

Is there something out there....that I don't know about.....

Is he getting "black-balled" by the NBA?????

Just does not make any sense......

See guards on about half the teams that he is as good as.....or better than.....and not even a 10 day contract......

Something is up......

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 08:49:54 AM »
He's a smallish, ho-hum shooter with questionable handling skills.  Not much upside for a GM to count on.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 08:52:17 AM »
He needs to get overseas and start making some real money.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 09:11:48 AM »

See guards on about half the teams that he is as good as.....or better than.....and not even a 10 day contract......

Something is up......

Are they 6'4" shooting guards with limited outside shooting ability and average (at best) ball-handling skills?

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 09:37:36 AM »

Agreed. He's definitely good enough to go make a nice 6 figure contract somewhere overseas. I get that it might feel like he's quitting on his dream, but he's still got some good  years left in him. I'd say he should make his money while he can.

westcoastwarrior

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 10:53:20 AM »
I have watched Vander play numerous time in the D-league.  His game has improved dramatically as a guard on the D-Fenders...primarily the point guard.  He has down right dominated some of the game I have seen.  I too do not know why he has not been called up yet.  This may be strange....but I think his age is now working against him.  I would say his gamed has peaked...therefor younger players are being called up right now (21-22 year olds).

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 10:56:46 AM »
I wonder what would have happened if Vander had stayed...he could have developed as a PG, eventually getting drafted in the lottery and becoming ASG MVP in the NBA.  Oh well.  Guess he made a poor decision.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 10:58:13 AM »

Travis needs to give him a call.  Vander had is 10 minutes in the 'show'.  He's something like 25 now.  Has to make coin while he can.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 11:19:53 AM »

Something is up......

Something is going on, and people are talking about it. It's so political, people can't believe it and the media won't report it.

MUFINY knows more than the GMs, believe me.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 11:27:28 AM »
I have watched Vander play numerous time in the D-league.  His game has improved dramatically as a guard on the D-Fenders...primarily the point guard.  He has down right dominated some of the game I have seen.  I too do not know why he has not been called up yet.  This may be strange....but I think his age is now working against him.  I would say his gamed has peaked...therefor younger players are being called up right now (21-22 year olds).

Most recent call-ups...

F Justin Harper, age 27
SG David Nwaba, age 24
PG Isaiah Taylor, age 23
PG Briante Weber, age 24
PG Chasson Randle, age 24
G Quinn Cook, age 23
F Ben Bentil, age 21
G Axel Toupane, age 24
F Reggie Williams, age 30
F Johnny O'Bryant, age 23
G Lamar Patterson, age 25
F Ryan Kelly, age 25
F Hollis Thompson, age 25

I've said this before but what's holding Vander back is that he does not have a niche. He has no single skill that is of legit NBA-caliber. The last guy on an NBA bench typically has size or ball-handling skills or shooting ability, etc. Very few 12th men have solid all-around games but no "special" skill. Novak lasted over a decade in the NBA because he has both size and shooting ability. Vander is an excellent basketball player but he has no special skill to put him on an NBA roster.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 11:34:09 AM by MerrittsMustache »

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2017, 12:01:32 PM »
Vander's gotten every opportunity in the NBA. He's played actual minutes with both the Celtics and the Lakers. And he's showcased his abilities during the summer league for 6 other teams: Chicago, Houston, Dallas, Philadelphia, San Antonio and Memphis.

He plays at the most competitive position in basketball. To land and keep a roster spot, he has to do something better than other shooting guards can do — usually shooting or defending.

In 162 D-League games, Vander is 36% from beyond the arc. He's hitting 36.9% this season, 33.0% a year ago. That's average at best, against less than NBA-level competition. J.R. Smith, for example, was a 37.5% three-point shooter over the course of 800+ games in 15 NBA seasons. And at 6'6" — the NBA average for the position — Smith had the height and length to guard several positions. A shooting guard like 6'7" Jimmy Butler would feast on Vander.

It's not for lack of effort on Vander's part. He's a very talented athlete and a hard worker. But those couple of percentage points and inches make all the difference.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2017, 12:10:29 PM »
Like I said, he needs to go make some serious money.  The top 30 over there all make over $1.0 million per year.  I would think Van would be well paid.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2017, 12:25:45 PM »
Something is going on, and people are talking about it. It's so political, people can't believe it and the media won't report it.

MUFINY knows more than the GMs, believe me.

NCAA selection committee biases carry over into the NBA, everyone knows that.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2017, 01:54:09 PM »
Like I said, he needs to go make some serious money.  The top 30 over there all make over $1.0 million per year.  I would think Van would be well paid.

Agree.  If he was going to make the NBA, it almost certainly would have happened by now.  Might as well make big money for a few years and be set for life by the time he's 30.  Europe may not be his first choice, but it's gotta beat having to sell life insurance to make ends meet when his career is done.

brandx

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2017, 02:01:18 PM »

He's not good enough. Very simple.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2017, 03:59:20 PM »
Travis needs to give him a call.  Vander had is 10 minutes in the 'show'.  He's something like 25 now.  Has to make coin while he can.
He was overseas playing like for a week and was back. No word on what happened.
Goal is National Championship

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2017, 07:47:53 PM »
Here is a new scouting report on Vander And the Brooklyn Nets.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

feedback