collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 06:52:38 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: How Do You Margarita?  (Read 5659 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Re: How Do You Margarita?
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2017, 05:38:10 PM »
You are using Costco Tequila?

Costco booze is excellent.

Have some patience, FFS.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2017, 10:24:20 AM »
You are using Costco Tequila?

If you can find a better combination of cheap and quality, please let me know.  But I'm not using Gran Patrón Platinum in a margarita and I'm certainly not using El Toro.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2017, 10:59:04 AM »
I made this for the missus last night. She's into margaritas. I'm not really, but even I thought this was great:

http://altonbrown.com/margarita-recipe/

2 ounces 100% agave silver/blanco tequila, divided
1 tablespoon kosher salt
4 limes, divided
1/2 small Hamlin or Valencia orange
2 tablespoons light agave nectar
3/4 cup ice cubes, about 3 to 4

Instructions
Pour 1/2 ounce of the tequila into a small saucer. Spread the kosher salt in a separate small saucer. Dip the rim of a martini or other wide rimmed glass into the tequila. Lift out of the tequila and hold upside down for 10 seconds to allow for slight evaporation. Next, dip the glass into the salt to coat the rim. Set aside.

Halve 2 of the limes, cut a thin slice for garnish from one, and set aside. Juice the halved limes into the bottom of a Boston style cocktail shaker. Cut the remaining 2 limes and the orange into quarters and add to the juice. Add the agave nectar to the cocktail shaker and muddle for 2 minutes until juices release. Strain the juice mixture through a cocktail strainer into the top of the shaker and discard the spent fruit bodies.

Return the juice to the bottom of the shaker, add the remaining 1 1/2 ounces of tequila and any remaining on the saucer. Add the ice to the shaker, cover and shake for 30 seconds. Strain the mixture through a cocktail strainer into the prepared glass, garnish with reserved lime slice, and serve immediately.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2017, 02:22:16 PM »
Costco booze is excellent.

I'll take your word for it.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2017, 02:24:32 PM »
If you can find a better combination of cheap and quality, please let me know.  But I'm not using Gran Patrón Platinum in a margarita and I'm certainly not using El Toro.

Dude, if you're thinking about springing for an au pair, buy some decent tequila.

Don Julio is usually in the $40-50 range. I think that's a good price point for the good stuff.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 02:31:49 PM by Coleman »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2017, 02:31:14 PM »
Dude, if you're thinking about springing for an au pair, buy some decent tequila.

It's very good tequila actually, it's made by the Fabrica de Tequilas Finos distillery.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2017, 02:36:20 PM »
It's very good tequila actually, it's made by the Fabrica de Tequilas Finos distillery.

Toyota also makes the Yaris and the Lexus LFA. That doesn't mean they are the same car.

But I'll reserve further judgment until I try it.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2017, 02:38:25 PM »
I'll take your word for it.

It's your money, pal.
Have some patience, FFS.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2017, 03:04:16 PM »
Toyota also makes the Yaris and the Lexus LFA. That doesn't mean they are the same car.

But I'll reserve further judgment until I try it.

Fair. Costco has a model they follow for the Kirkland brand. They are usually buying up excess of another product, buying former process/reciepe from a undervalued fallen brand or buying manufacturing/distilling time in well respected facilities.

This was first the big rage when their vodka was made from the same source, distillery and process as Grey Goose. It then was rating higher in tasting than Grey Goose, which is just funny.

More recently, their four-piece golf ball lit the golfing industry on fire. A $4 golf ball selling for $1.25 that crashed the entire Costco website twice.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2017, 09:41:41 PM »
Fair. Costco has a model they follow for the Kirkland brand. They are usually buying up excess of another product, buying former process/reciepe from a undervalued fallen brand or buying manufacturing/distilling time in well respected facilities.

This was first the big rage when their vodka was made from the same source, distillery and process as Grey Goose. It then was rating higher in tasting than Grey Goose, which is just funny.

More recently, their four-piece golf ball lit the golfing industry on fire. A $4 golf ball selling for $1.25 that crashed the entire Costco website twice.

It certainly is an interesting business model. I am familiar with the golf ball, I've played them and they were pretty good. I'll give the tequila a whirl. I'm a booze snob, but I guess I should try it.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2017, 06:32:09 AM »
It certainly is an interesting business model. I am familiar with the golf ball, I've played them and they were pretty good. I'll give the tequila a whirl. I'm a booze snob, but I guess I should try it.

I got to bust out the K-Sig on Sunday, the hype was real.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2017, 09:54:20 AM »
Coleman - Please tell me you're not the guy who orders a Johnny Walker Blue and Diet when you go to the bar.  Because I'm willing to bet what you were sipping on the beach at the end of the movie didn't have the good stuff in it. Heck, I've never seen a bar that puts the good stuff on the rail, though in fairness, I don't go to bars that are decorated in Notre Dame memorabilia.

Do yourself a favor, seriously: pick either my or jf's recipe (or any decent recipe that isn't JJJJJ's beer can and limeade abomination on pg 1), and make half a batch with Kirkland Silver and half with your Don Julio.  If you can honestly come back here on Monday and tell me there's a discernible difference between the two, I'll send you a liter of Marqués B. Bennito's Margarita Grandioso [February 2017 Vintage]* on the house... I'll even commission an artist to design a fancy label for it so you can show it off to all your friends.

*That's the best vintage (so far).  Though I need to play around with the Hamlin/Valencia orange route... if that turns out better, I'll send you that one instead.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2017, 10:15:58 AM »
Coleman - Please tell me you're not the guy who orders a Johnny Walker Blue and Diet when you go to the bar.  Because I'm willing to bet what you were sipping on the beach at the end of the movie didn't have the good stuff in it. Heck, I've never seen a bar that puts the good stuff on the rail, though in fairness, I don't go to bars that are decorated in Notre Dame memorabilia.

Do yourself a favor, seriously: pick either my or jf's recipe (or any decent recipe that isn't JJJJJ's beer can and limeade abomination on pg 1), and make half a batch with Kirkland Silver and half with your Don Julio.  If you can honestly come back here on Monday and tell me there's a discernible difference between the two, I'll send you a liter of Marqués B. Bennito's Margarita Grandioso [February 2017 Vintage]* on the house... I'll even commission an artist to design a fancy label for it so you can show it off to all your friends.

*That's the best vintage (so far).  Though I need to play around with the Hamlin/Valencia orange route... if that turns out better, I'll send you that one instead.

Dude, Benny, I love the reference. Thank you.

Johnny Walker is garbage. Only single malts for me. Macallan 12 is my go-to but if I am feeling frisky a Highland Park 15 does the trick. Neat, with a drop of water to unleash the demons.

I'm up for your challenge. And if I can't tell, I will crawl back to Scoop and eat crow.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 10:19:35 AM by Coleman »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2017, 10:20:05 AM »

My step-brother-in-law works in purchasing down in Oakbrook.... he confirms the Kirkland Vodka/Grey Goose connection.  Grey Goose was actually started by an east-coaster who was responsible for first importing Jagermeister to the US in the mid-80's; a decade later, he wanted to develop his own "premium" vodka but didn't think consumers would buy into marketing of a premium vodka made in the U.S., so he decided to set up shop in France strictly for branding purposes (i.e. to give it an exotic appeal); amazingly, in doing so he stumbled upon local ingredients and processes that did in fact produce a superior vodka.  Then he sold to Bacardi who desired to expand its international presence, thereby requiring new and upgraded facilities... it was about that time that Costco stepped in and bought up the capacity in their old digs.

In other words, one might say that Kirkland Vodka is essentially Grey Goose Classic.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2017, 10:27:30 AM »

In other words, one might say that Kirkland Vodka is essentially Grey Goose Classic.

Their "French" vodka is.

They also have 'Murican vodka - which I assume is supposed to be Tito's.
Have some patience, FFS.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2017, 11:19:15 AM »
My FIL made us smuggle Kirkland tequila down to Nashville.  Them restrictive liquor laws.  Baptists!

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2017, 12:33:40 PM »
My step-brother-in-law works in purchasing down in Oakbrook.... he confirms the Kirkland Vodka/Grey Goose connection.  Grey Goose was actually started by an east-coaster who was responsible for first importing Jagermeister to the US in the mid-80's; a decade later, he wanted to develop his own "premium" vodka but didn't think consumers would buy into marketing of a premium vodka made in the U.S., so he decided to set up shop in France strictly for branding purposes (i.e. to give it an exotic appeal); amazingly, in doing so he stumbled upon local ingredients and processes that did in fact produce a superior vodka.  Then he sold to Bacardi who desired to expand its international presence, thereby requiring new and upgraded facilities... it was about that time that Costco stepped in and bought up the capacity in their old digs.

Sidney Frank, a damn marketing genius.  Also the man who said "its easier to marry into a million dollars than make it".  The Jager and Grey Goose stories are fascinating.  I'm also pretty sure I read that his mentality was you build a premium brand image like Grey Goose, and then you lessen the quality cause people really don't care about the quality of the vodka, they just want to pay for the brand.

He was also responsible for Corazon tequila if I recall.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2017, 09:49:50 AM »
I got sick this weekend...still recovering. Didn't have a chance to shop or drink booze. Sorry Benny.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2017, 10:20:45 AM »
I got sick this weekend...still recovering. Didn't have a chance to shop or drink booze. Sorry Benny.

We all got sick this weekend.  Most of us threw up in our mouth.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2017, 11:10:08 AM »
We all got sick this weekend.  Most of us threw up in our mouth.

A case where the figurative may lead to the literal.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2017, 01:58:20 PM »

Anyone else catch the crud that's been going around?  I am on my 5th week and 2nd batch of prednisone.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2017, 02:35:31 PM »
Try goin' grain-free, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2017, 03:42:05 PM »
Anyone else catch the crud that's been going around?  I am on my 5th week and 2nd batch of prednisone.

What?????

And you didn't think to warn all the ladies (and men, for that matter) you were hugging and kissing on NMD?
Have some patience, FFS.

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2017, 04:43:59 PM »
From my bartending days, I was indoctrinated to the belief that Grand Marnier was the superior orange liqueur in all recipes, so about half of my trial recipes have used GM and some I've even mixed it 50/50 with Cointreau. While I would certainly concede that GM has a superior orange aroma, it doesn't counterbalance the "heat" of the alcohol nearly as well as Cointreau does.  In fact, one of my batches I ran short of GM, so I left the batch as is and both my wife and I felt it had a stronger alcoholic taste compared to any of the Cointreau batches despite it having a 5% lesser alcohol content (~30 proof).  Triple sec, being typically constructed of dilute grain alcohol and orange flavoring, has an inferior flavor/aroma and even adds its own harshness... one batch was all it took before I abandoned it completely (I've gone through 6-7 bottles of GM and 4-5 of Cointreau, yet half the bottle of triple sec is still sitting in my cabinet a year later).

Since I'm adding minimal water and sugar (which typically performs the counterbalancing function), the Cointreau becomes all the more important.  Maybe it has something to do with the lower glycemic level of the agave, but in a more dilute and/or sweeter mix where the orange liqueur isn't having to pull double duty, I'd most likely prefer GM to Cointreau.

I like the Patron Orange Liqueor instead but probably not much diff.  (And I don't use Patron for the tequila either, while I do like it, it's overpriced compared to others of comparable quality in my opinion).

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2017, 04:54:10 PM »
What?????

And you didn't think to warn all the ladies (and men, for that matter) you were hugging and kissing on NMD?

Can't disappoint the ladies.