[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Trying to Stay Optimistic  (Read 5688 times)

GoldenDieners32

• All American
Re: Trying to Stay Optimistic
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2017, 07:45:04 AM »
We are in the tourney this year.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2017, 08:33:37 AM »
Dude, love yo enthusiasm. But, get a wiff of reality man, before it passes yo ass by and you stand der axin' "what happened ta me,?" Hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2017, 09:12:28 AM »
In letting Wojo off the hook some...a lot of this is on the admin and their academic requirements now. Wojo can only recruit certain kinds of players. Nothing like hamstringing your basketball coach. It's obvious they care more about their academic reputation and their reputation then they do winning basketball games. Get good kids, they graduate, results are secondary. What a joke.

Don't know what your source for this is, but that is 100% false. There is no "new standard" for academic requirements, and there is absolutely no player that Wojo wants that some academic standard is preventing him from getting.

Marquette's standards are middle of the road for the NCAA so let's not go all Wisconsin around here and blame the administration for results when they have nothing to do with it.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2017, 09:16:46 AM »
But again, if we're not happy with Wojo, why would we hire the guy under him?

This is part of the insanity that comes with the fire Wojo crowd. They want to fire Wojo and replace him with.....a less experienced Wojo who presumably had some guilt in the performance of Wojo's teams.

I firmly believe we will bounce up off this valley of the last couple of weeks, just a question of how long/high we go on whether we make the NCAA. At this point we're a lock for NIT.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2017, 09:44:50 AM »
Don't know what your source for this is, but that is 100% false. There is no "new standard" for academic requirements, and there is absolutely no player that Wojo wants that some academic standard is preventing him from getting.

Marquette's standards are middle of the road for the NCAA so let's not go all Wisconsin around here and blame the administration for results when they have nothing to do with it.

Bingo. This is a completely false narrative.

The only admission standard that changed or should I say is now emphasized, is ensuring that any JUCO transfer has enough transfer credits into MU to conceivably graduate within their scholarship time-frame. But there's no set criteria, as that has to be determined on a case-by-case basis. And, there's no policy saying MU can't admit JUCO transfers. Another false narrative.

The only other change that occurred with academics is that MU slightly raised their minimum GPA average needed to maintain eligibility for all sports. It was at one point at the NCAA minimum, but now it is slightly above.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 10:49:51 AM by RJax55 »

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2017, 10:11:29 AM »
Bingo. This is a completely false narrative.

The only admission standard that changed or should I say is now emphasized, is ensuring that any JUCO transfer has enough transfer credits into MU to conceivable graduate within their scholarship time-frame. But there's no set criteria, as that has to be determined on a case-by-case basis. And, there's no policy saying MU can't admit JUCO transfers. Another false narrative.

The only other change that occurred with academics is that MU slightly raised their minimum GPA average needed to maintain eligibility for all sports. It was at one point at the NCAA minimum, but now it is slightly above.

And

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2017, 10:47:46 AM »
In letting Wojo off the hook some...a lot of this is on the admin and their academic requirements now. Wojo can only recruit certain kinds of players. Nothing like hamstringing your basketball coach. It's obvious they care more about their academic reputation and their reputation then they do winning basketball games. Get good kids, they graduate, results are secondary. What a joke.

Jeez, we are not Harvard or Stanford. MU requirements are reasonable. Bad excuse.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2017, 11:20:10 AM »
There is nothing wrong with the individual players we have recruited.  There is not a single player on the roster that can't be a contributor on a high-level basketball team

The questions are if the mix of players is good (too many overlapping skills and sizes...not enough length and quickness) and if Wojo can teach them anything.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2017, 11:21:10 AM »

1. This isn't true. There are A TON of Buzz's recruits and former MU players that would not be admitted to Marquette under this administration

2. That said, this isn't an excuse and I don't think it's hindered Wojo in any way. I don't think he necessarily targets the same type of player that Buzz did.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2017, 11:45:33 AM »
1. This isn't true. There are A TON of Buzz's recruits and former MU players that would not be admitted to Marquette under this administration

2. That said, this isn't an excuse and I don't think it's hindered Wojo in any way. I don't think he necessarily targets the same type of player that Buzz did.

1. It is true. The only player that would likely not be admitted now is Predator and that represents just how jacked up his transcripts were. There is no grand conspiracy to keep worthy players from being able to go to Marquette. Hell, a certain one and done player would have been admitted to MU last year if the feelings were mutual.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2017, 12:03:54 PM »

Wanna bet?? The list of past players that wouldn't have been able to play here now under the current rules is astonishing. The admin wants the players to resemble Duke's, they just don't really have to play like Duke or be as successful as Duke and the admin is good with that.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2017, 12:16:10 PM »
1. It is true. The only player that would likely not be admitted now is Predator and that represents just how jacked up his transcripts were. There is no grand conspiracy to keep worthy players from being able to go to Marquette. Hell, a certain one and done player would have been admitted to MU last year if the feelings were mutual.

Right. But that certain one and done had met all the academic requirements.

I'm not saying that Wojo is facing ridiculous academic challenges. He's not. But he is absolutely facing challenges that the previous two coaches did not face regarding admissions. I'm with Guru on this one. Everything I've heard indicates that there is a large list of players from the past 8 years who would not be admitted today.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2017, 01:00:36 PM »
Wanna bet?? The list of past players that wouldn't have been able to play here now under the current rules is astonishing. The admin wants the players to resemble Duke's, they just don't really have to play like Duke or be as successful as Duke and the admin is good with that.

Not sure how you'd settle it, but I definitely would bet on it, mostly cause I know you're wrong.

But if you want to keep lighting up the administration for a false narrative far be it from me to stop you

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2017, 01:05:46 PM »
Right. But that certain one and done had met all the academic requirements.

I'm not saying that Wojo is facing ridiculous academic challenges. He's not. But he is absolutely facing challenges that the previous two coaches did not face regarding admissions. I'm with Guru on this one. Everything I've heard indicates that there is a large list of players from the past 8 years who would not be admitted today.

No, the individual in question did not meet all "MU admin" requirements Guru is talking about...he met minimum quals by NCAA standards eventually. However he would have been admitted if  mutual interest were there.

So now there are Crean players that wouldn't get by these mythical standards? Sounds like your source is someone with an ax to grind on the admin.

Look, there is definitely clean up with this admin from the previous administration but there is 0 truth that somehow it is hampering recruiting

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2017, 01:07:48 PM »
No, the individual in question did not meet all "MU admin" requirements Guru is talking about...he met minimum quals by NCAA standards eventually. However he would have been admitted if  mutual interest were there.

So now there are Crean players that wouldn't get by these mythical standards? Sounds like your source is someone with an ax to grind on the admin.

Look, there is definitely clean up with this admin from the previous administration but there is 0 truth that somehow it is hampering recruiting

Sounds like we're hearing different things from differrent people, so I will respectfully disagree.

However, I don't think it's hurting recruiting and wasnt trying to insinuate that. Just that the academic requirements have changed.

Rudy

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2017, 01:10:46 PM »
I'll be back when this gets back on basketball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2017, 01:20:12 PM »
Meanwhile ... back to Trying to Stay Optimistic ...

I was cautiously optimistic heading into this season, and I am the same way now. We won two games not a soul here thought we would win (as well as some decent NC wins over Vanderbilt, Fresno and at Georgia) and we lost a couple of games most here expected to win.

I think we beat X and the Johnnies at our place and sneak into the tourney.

And what if we don't?

I'll remain a fan who really wants to win but also one who doesn't obsess about it 25 hours a day.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2017, 01:25:00 PM »

McAdams?

03- check your PMs.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 01:32:18 PM by MUfan12 »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2017, 01:41:44 PM »
MU82

For a guy that does not obsess about it, how did you get nearly 7000 posts on here?

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2017, 01:56:14 PM »
MU82

For a guy that does not obsess about it, how did you get nearly 7000 posts on here?
MU82 only obsesses with getting his condescending, hyperbolic strawman arguments out to those that disagree with his obviously superior opinion.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2017, 01:58:12 PM »
MU82 only obsesses with getting his condescending, hyperbolic strawman arguments out to those that disagree with his obviously superior opinion.

Oooh ... that hurt.

Mommy! The mean man on the Internet is being super-mean now!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2017, 01:59:22 PM »
MU82

Jeesh, Goose, I didn't even know I was close to 7,000 reasonable, balanced comments. Thanks for pointing it out.

Almost time to celebrate!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2017, 02:02:56 PM »
Anti

+1 on MU82. Sad, but true.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2017, 02:51:32 PM »
Love MU82  Don't drink the angry kool aid,  82.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2017, 02:58:01 PM »
Tower

I have no problem with 82, even though he bashes 95% of my posts. He does not get under my skin but does carry an arrogant swag to his posts.

feedback