[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Greatest coaches in all of sports  (Read 8290 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Greatest coaches in all of sports
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2017, 10:29:48 AM »
Pat Summit?  What has she done?

From everything I know about Pat Summit she was a great coach and a fine person. Maybe she didn't have to make any "compromises" to be great - but if she didn't it was because she had so little competition for much of her run. For me, that alone removes her from the top of this list.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2017, 10:32:53 AM »
From everything I know about Pat Summit she was a great coach and a fine person. Maybe she didn't have to make any "compromises" to be great - but if she didn't it was because she had so little competition for much of her run. For me, that alone removes her from the top of this list.

Does it also remove Auerbach? How about any Yankee manager in the pre-free-agent era?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2017, 10:42:23 AM »
 Al Mcguire

Then everyone else
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2017, 10:43:38 AM »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2017, 12:00:23 PM »

No one has ever built a dominant powerhouse program from less than what she had to start with - in any sport.  She had literally no budget and no staff. After games, she had to take the uniforms home and wash them in the basement of her apartment building, FFS.

She is the reason that people now pay attention to women's college basketball.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2017, 12:02:20 PM »
No one has ever built a dominant powerhouse program from less than what she had to start with - in any sport.  She had literally no budget and no staff. After games, she had to take the uniforms home and wash them in the basement of her apartment building, FFS.

Agreed, chickadee. Summit is an absolute no-brainer on this list.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2017, 12:08:04 PM »

The items you mention in the first paragraph were faced by pretty much every other women's basketball coach at the time so I'm not sure she could get extra credit for those things.

Her record speaks for itself.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2017, 01:42:58 PM »
Crean

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2017, 02:38:19 PM »

MU82

• All American

brandx

« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2017, 03:08:38 PM »
Victor Tikhonov

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viktor_Tikhonov_(ice_hockey,_born_1930)

Kinda like Phil Jackson. He had the BEST players every time he won a champiuonship. USSR was a huge country and he had the best of the best. And it is not like he had to go up against NHL players to win. Back then,almost all of his world championships were won against amateur players.

I don't mean to say he wasn't a great coach, but even a good coach with the best players will be extremely successful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2017, 04:24:29 PM »
And Anatoli Tarasov was probably better anyway.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2017, 10:45:50 PM »
Kinda like Phil Jackson. He had the BEST players every time he won a champiuonship. USSR was a huge country and he had the best of the best. And it is not like he had to go up against NHL players to win. Back then,almost all of his world championships were won against amateur players.

I don't mean to say he wasn't a great coach, but even a good coach with the best players will be extremely successful.

I don't know enough about Russian hockey. But I do know that Phil Jackson was a great coach. Jordan, Kobe and Shaq had lots of coaches over the years. Jordan and Kobe only won when Jackson was their coach, and Shaq only won when either Jackson or Riley was his coach (the latter time near the end of his career when Wade carried the Heat).

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2017, 03:16:04 AM »
I don't know enough about Russian hockey. But I do know that Phil Jackson was a great coach. Jordan, Kobe and Shaq had lots of coaches over the years. Jordan and Kobe only won when Jackson was their coach, and Shaq only won when either Jackson or Riley was his coach (the latter time near the end of his career when Wade carried the Heat).

Yeah! I don't buy that either. I would guess there are coaches who have lost with the "best" players too.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2017, 10:32:18 AM »
I can see an average coach winning a championship with the best players.  But 11 of them?  Nah...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2017, 09:29:46 PM »
I can see an average coach winning a championship with the best players.  But 11 of them?  Nah...

Yeah ... he was just lucky ... 11 times.