Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: If you're making a change to the coaching staff, who would it be?  (Read 9905 times)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: If you're making a change to the coaching staff, who would it be?
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2017, 10:11:51 AM »
The main reason we are bad at defense is roster construction. The teams we play against are taller, quicker, more athletic and MUCH stronger physically than we are. Hard to defend under those circumstances. We are great shooters, though.

I disagree with some of this. Roster construction is part of it, but there are inherent fundamental issues with technique and strategy that are a large part of the problem. Take a look at this list:
UNC Asheville    
UC Riverside    
Oklahoma St.    
Stephen F. Austin    
Colorado    
Towson    
Cleveland St.    
Indiana    
Nevada    
Mount St. Mary's    
UTEP    
Michigan    
Navy    
North Dakota St.    
Fordham    
Rider    
Boston University    
Sam Houston St.    
Penn    
Iowa    
Lehigh    
UC Davis    
South Alabama    
Santa Clara    
Wake Forest    
New Orleans    
Bradley    
Green Bay    
Grand Canyon    
New Hampshire    
Arkansas    
Liberty
Georgia St.    
James Madison    
Boston College    
Loyola Chicago    
Kent St.    
Temple    
Indiana St.    
UAB    
Holy Cross    
Fairfield    
Texas St.    
St. Bonaventure

These are the teams that are ranked ahead of us on KenPom from a defensive efficiency standpoint (164 to 120) so even UNC Ashville isn't good. But more importantly, which teams on that list have a better roster combination than us? Or have better players? I'd argue not that many so it has to be a problem of more than just the personnel at this point, we are that bad at defense.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2017, 10:16:06 AM »
The main reason we are bad at defense is roster construction. The teams we play against are taller, quicker, more athletic and MUCH stronger physically than we are. Hard to defend under those circumstances. We are great shooters, though.

That is exactly what I have been saying.  Watch Minny last night, not great players, but physically gifted at most positions.   Much like Wisconsin.  Next coach
will be Steve Novak, he can not play D either.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2017, 10:17:25 AM »
I disagree with some of this. Roster construction is part of it, but there are inherent fundamental issues with technique and strategy that are a large part of the problem. Take a look at this list:
UNC Asheville    
UC Riverside    
Oklahoma St.    
Stephen F. Austin    
Colorado    
Towson    
Cleveland St.    
Indiana    
Nevada    
Mount St. Mary's    
UTEP    
Michigan    
Navy    
North Dakota St.    
Fordham    
Rider    
Boston University    
Sam Houston St.    
Penn    
Iowa    
Lehigh    
UC Davis    
South Alabama    
Santa Clara    
Wake Forest    
New Orleans    
Bradley    
Green Bay    
Grand Canyon    
New Hampshire    
Arkansas    
Liberty
Georgia St.    
James Madison    
Boston College    
Loyola Chicago    
Kent St.    
Temple    
Indiana St.    
UAB    
Holy Cross    
Fairfield    
Texas St.    
St. Bonaventure

These are the teams that are ranked ahead of us on KenPom from a defensive efficiency standpoint (164 to 120) so even UNC Ashville isn't good. But more importantly, which teams on that list have a better roster combination than us? Or have better players? I'd argue not that many so it has to be a problem of more than just the personnel at this point, we are that bad at defense.

Just scrolling quickly through there are about 4 high majors that I saw.  If we played the schedule of Fairfield we'd have a better defensive rating than they do.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2017, 10:26:33 AM »
I thought MU D was much better against Butler then I have seen in most games.  JJJ took Kamar out of the game in the second half.  I think JJJ is much better on the
outside defending then playing that zone which he never blocks anybody out.  I am sure he will guard Pryor or Peak against Gtown.  Butler hit 5 straght threes in the
first half all in the corners, if you are going to lose, I would rather see that then Chabraz going in for a lay-ups which he did in the second half to win the game.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2017, 10:28:11 AM »
The difference in perception of Wojo from Scoop to the world of New Jersey high school hoops that I travel in could not be more diametrically opposed.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2017, 11:23:01 AM »
Wojo wants people he is comfortable with .   

Umm, have any of you ever worked in a corporation?

Of course he wants people he is comfortable with. It's why when a CEO of a company or even the President of the USA brings her's or his own people with her or him. Period. It means some leadership, if not all, from the previous regime are collecting severance, writing resumes and shaking their connection trees!

When you buy Wojo, you buy the package. You count on him to hire the people who he thinks will make a difference in executing your mission, which, in our case, is to again become an elite program in college basketball.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 11:26:01 AM by dgies9156 »

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2017, 11:36:38 AM »
If you lose your people you are not a leader.

This.   You need your players listening to you and doing or attempting to do what you tell them

feedback