[Today at 10:23:42 PM]

Hurley staying! by NCMUFan
[Today at 04:46:28 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[Today at 04:22:26 PM]

2024 Scoop Art Competition by Skatastrophy
[Today at 09:53:42 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: You're the coach, divvy up the minutes.  (Read 6151 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: You're the coach, divvy up the minutes.
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2017, 09:23:01 AM »
If  Cheatham or Howard see their minutes significantly cut with much more immediate than their long term development in mind, we're losing the forest from the trees. Now please don't take that to an unreasonable extreme and say "Oh well if its a close game with three minutes to go and one is playing poorly, you want them in no matter what?" No, of course not. But the development of those two are so, so crucial to the future of this team, that giving them the time to play and mature through it is every bit as important as finding a couple extra minutes for KR. Its an imperfect science based on gameflow, but as a general rule, I don't want to see HC or MH lose significant time (particularly in the first 3/4 of a game).

This isn't professional sports.  You play to win this year, every single year.  Sure, if we're playing SIUE in November and we're down 4 15 minutes into the game you don't sit everyone but the seniors to make sure you don't lose.  But we're in the middle of BE play and we're sitting at 5-5 and squarely on the bubble.  If Katin is playing well (like he did for a stretch of a number of straight games) and Cheatham is playing poorly for a stretch (like he has for much of the BE season) then I'm all for Katin getting as many minutes as possible while he's being productive and if that cuts into Cheatham's minutes then so be it.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2017, 09:29:53 AM »
Right now, the players are dictating their playing time.    Wojo is riding the hot hand more than he has previously.    But, against SJU, down 17, when there wasn't a hot hand, he rewarded effort and hustle.   Luke and JjJ rode the pine.   Markus, who was just having a bad night, rode the pine.   KR, on the cold side of his hot and cold self, rode the pine.    The 5 who were out there were the ones playing the hardest on both ends.    Sadly, HC's slump reached epic, comical proportions.    But it wasn't for lack of effort.     The lack of effort was sitting. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2017, 10:20:20 AM »
He was also 3-7 when he did get to the line and missed what could've been some pretty important free throws down the stretch of the Nova game.  He missed a breakaway layup that would've sealed the at Seton Hall game.  He's in his own head.  Instead of looking to finish a play, he hopes he gets fouled or has a wide open teammate that will take the layup for him (think that was the home Seton Hall game).

If Cheatham is one of our five best players we are in some big trouble.

FT% no matta. Getting to the line is more important. Missed FTs happen, still a more efficient possession then most.

He finished a hard layup for an and 1, confidently stroked a corner 3, and drew four fouls. That's a good offensive game....minus the three horrendous turnovers (and 2 normal turnovers). Given that he's been strong with the ball all season, I'm assuming those are an outlier but if they aren't then he needs to get benched.

As of late, I would agree that Haanie isn't in our top 5. We have a good top 4 with Rowsey, Hauser, Katin, and Luke (though Katins had two off nights in a row). We need a fifth player to step up because JJJ, Hannie, Howard, and Duane have all been meh recently.I would love if JJJ finished the same way he finished conference play last season.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2017, 10:54:21 AM »
This isn't professional sports.  You play to win this year, every single year.  Sure, if we're playing SIUE in November and we're down 4 15 minutes into the game you don't sit everyone but the seniors to make sure you don't lose.  But we're in the middle of BE play and we're sitting at 5-5 and squarely on the bubble.  If Katin is playing well (like he did for a stretch of a number of straight games) and Cheatham is playing poorly for a stretch (like he has for much of the BE season) then I'm all for Katin getting as many minutes as possible while he's being productive and if that cuts into Cheatham's minutes then so be it.

I largely agree that the circumstances of each game are going to dictate this most of the time. And I think Wojo has done a really great job juggling personnel all year. But on the relative cost-benefit scale of what you sacrifice to win this year, I see a lot of this year's successes as gravy. This feels like a really important time in Haani's development in particular, and if there is any zero-sum game aspect to allocating minutes vs St. Johns this week vs him being the glue guy this time next year or two years from now, I would hate to see us cash any of those chips now, is all. 

muguru

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2017, 11:31:19 AM »
I largely agree that the circumstances of each game are going to dictate this most of the time. And I think Wojo has done a really great job juggling personnel all year. But on the relative cost-benefit scale of what you sacrifice to win this year, I see a lot of this year's successes as gravy. This feels like a really important time in Haani's development in particular, and if there is any zero-sum game aspect to allocating minutes vs St. Johns this week vs him being the glue guy this time next year or two years from now, I would hate to see us cash any of those chips now, is all.

That's all well and good but what if making the tourney this year leaves a huge impression on future recruits? What if NOT making it does the same?
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

burger

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2017, 11:46:38 AM »
Per the guidance of statistical guru, Henry Sugar, I use a spread sheet to track 5 game moving averages for o-rating. A way of seeing who has been hot recently. Using those averages, here is what the "Who's hot" lineup would be:

Starters:
Rowsey: 147.2
Jajuan: 96.2
Katin: 114.8
Hauser: 141.9
Luke: 130.6

I can not imagine that this is anything but offense....

I am assuming their is no negative for "poor defense" or "turnovers".....

That would put JJ in a totally different light.....
Bench:
Cheatham: 90.0
Howard: 79.1
Heldt: 77.2
Wilson: 56.1

What this shows is that offense has slowed down. Sammy and Rowsey are significantly above their season averages. Katin is a little above his season average. Luke is right at his. JJJ is a little below his. Everyone else is way below their season average.

The player who has taken the biggest drop? Duane. His season average is 109.6, a full 53.5 points higher than where he is know. His usage is pretty low though, so the impact isn't as great. The biggest impact is Markus. He has played a full 38.1 points lower than his season average of 117.2. He also has double the usage of Duane. Getting Markus back on track might be the quickest way to jump start the offense.

I am assuming that their is no component for "poor defense" or "turnovers" just offense efficiency.....

Because if you factored those in.....One of the starters becomes the biggest liability on the team.....

The one who had 6 of 11 of the turnovers in the Providence game.....
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 11:50:17 AM by burger »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2017, 02:09:41 PM »

I am assuming that their is no component for "poor defense" or "turnovers" just offense efficiency.....

Because if you factored those in.....One of the starters becomes the biggest liability on the team.....

Defense no. But turnovers are included in offensive efficiency. I assume you are talking about JJJ. As noted, JJJ is the worst of the 5 starters in this "who's hot" lineup. The fact that he made the top 5 with an o-rating of 96.2 is very concerning. That's why we've lost the last two IMHO, because the offense stalled not because of the defense. Need someone of JJJ, Haanie, Howard, or Wilson to get their butt in gear. Katin has slumped the last two too.

For defense there is d-rating, but I don't find it particularly accurate. It relies almost solely on steals and blocks. So JJJ actually leads the team in D-rating by a significant amount.

The one who had 6 of 11 of the turnovers in the Providence game.....

Who are you talking about? There were only 8 turnovers total in the Providence game. No one had more than 2....I also think the only player to ever get 6 turnovers in game is Howard against St. John's.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 02:18:54 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

tower912

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2017, 02:25:29 PM »
So, how pissed is Wojo?  Will he start the 5 who played hard down the stretch against SJU?  REALLY send a message about competing?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2017, 02:42:50 PM »
So, how pissed is Wojo?  Will he start the 5 who played hard down the stretch against SJU?  REALLY send a message about competing?

Was curious about this. Luke got sat in the second half but I thought he was competing just fine. Did anyone see why Luke got benched? I thought maybe Heldt was just better at the 2-3.
TAMU

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2017, 02:43:15 PM »
Wouldn't surprise me. He could make them wear the Villanova t-shirt for shootaround!
Goal is National Championship

feedback