Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

What do Wisconsinites call people from Illinois? by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 03:14:46 PM]

More conference realignment talk by brewcity77
[Today at 02:56:46 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 02:19:12 PM]

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:29:07 PM]

NM by 4everwarriors
[Today at 10:37:41 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[Today at 10:15:40 AM]

MU all-time defensive team? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:44:45 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Lunardi Says..  (Read 37779 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Lunardi Says..
« Reply #125 on: January 26, 2017, 11:54:19 AM »
I've been pondering this idea for a while now and I'm curious what you all would think:

Gonzaga should sign a deal with the Big East to play two non-con games vs Big East teams every year for 5 years.  One home, one away.  One in the middle of conference season instead of during the fall.  It would give Gonzaga some late-season seasoning against quality teams and it would provide another chance for conference RPI boosting for the Big East on a yearly basis.  Plus, it would build the bridge between us and another similarly minded Catholic basketball school.

Hell, MU should sign a perpetual home-and-home with Gonzaga ourselves, to build up a rivalry between the top two Catholic basketball schools in the nation.

Very interesting idea. Too bad you're not commish of one of the conferences!

I actually like the MU/Zags idea more. Send a note to Scholl and let us know what he says.

As for Gonzaga not wanting to have to play crappy DePaul ... as somebody said, going to Chicago is a good trip for any school. And DePaul won't be crappy forever. Sports are cyclical. All it takes are leaders with vision. Saying something won't work because one team might suck 5 or 10 years down the line is kinda silly.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #126 on: January 26, 2017, 12:01:05 PM »
That seems pretty win-win as long as Few is there. I don't think you'd want to lock into that for more than 3-5 years at a time, because if Few bolted, that might turn into having that deal with San Francisco. But the Zags will be legit as long as Few is their coach, and if the arrangement turned into a really good one for the Zags, could produce some bargaining leverage as the realignment and affiliation wheels continue to turn.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #127 on: January 26, 2017, 01:13:46 PM »
Gonzaga should sign a deal with the Big East to play two non-con games vs Big East teams every year for 5 years.  One home, one away.  One in the middle of conference season instead of during the fall.  It would give Gonzaga some late-season seasoning against quality teams and it would provide another chance for conference RPI boosting for the Big East on a yearly basis.  Plus, it would build the bridge between us and another similarly minded Catholic basketball school.

It's too bad that the bottom of the WCC is usually so terrible. What I'd like to see is maybe an annual series between the two leagues. Do it in February on a weekend. Top-5 from the Big East play the top-5 from the WCC. You can't do the entire league because the bottom of their league is so bad, but you'd generally get 3 marquee games (Gonzaga, BYU, St. Mary's), help out somewhat like-minded schools, and it'd be better than playing cupcakes.

The problem, of course, is how deep into the league you go. Would their perennial doormats sign off on a series deal that they would likely rarely benefit from?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #128 on: January 26, 2017, 01:19:41 PM »
It's too bad that the bottom of the WCC is usually so terrible. What I'd like to see is maybe an annual series between the two leagues. Do it in February on a weekend. Top-5 from the Big East play the top-5 from the WCC. You can't do the entire league because the bottom of their league is so bad, but you'd generally get 3 marquee games (Gonzaga, BYU, St. Mary's), help out somewhat like-minded schools, and it'd be better than playing cupcakes.

The problem, of course, is how deep into the league you go. Would their perennial doormats sign off on a series deal that they would likely rarely benefit from?

Pass.  That series helps the WCC more than the BE.  Just wait for Marquette at Loyola Marymount. Yawn.

Just do Gonzaga outright.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #129 on: January 26, 2017, 01:21:23 PM »
Pass.  That series helps the WCC more than the BE.  Just wait for Marquette at Loyola Marymount. Yawn.

Just do Gonzaga outright.

Which is why I'd only want to go five deep. And agreed, it helps them more than us, but if we're winning 80%, that still helps us. The top-three are solid, after that, it gets sketchy quick. However, even the lower-level WCC teams are better than another buy game against Grambling.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #130 on: January 26, 2017, 01:22:33 PM »
That seems pretty win-win as long as Few is there.

Did you say the same when Monson was there?

Maybe Few's top assistant would be an even better head coach than Few, just as Few has been better than Monson.

I mean, who's better? Izzo or Heathcote? Heck, many (maybe most) here would argue that Buzz was a nice improvement on Crean.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #131 on: January 26, 2017, 01:35:42 PM »
Lunardi new bracket has us in the tourney as a 8 seed playing VT in the midwest. If we win that game we would play kansas, i like are chances against kansas. Kansas has a good backcourt but no front court
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 01:42:39 PM by GoldenEagles32 »

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #132 on: January 26, 2017, 01:38:10 PM »
Did you say the same when Monson was there?

Maybe Few's top assistant would be an even better head coach than Few, just as Few has been better than Monson.

I mean, who's better? Izzo or Heathcote? Heck, many (maybe most) here would argue that Buzz was a nice improvement on Crean.

Sure, Few's top assistant might be great. But I wouldn't bet my future scheduling flexibility on it.

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #133 on: January 26, 2017, 02:41:41 PM »

Heck, many (maybe most) here would argue that Buzz was a nice improvement on Crean.

Two jagholes

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #134 on: January 26, 2017, 03:50:28 PM »
Lunardi new bracket has us in the tourney as a 8 seed playing VT in the midwest. If we win that game we would play kansas, i like are chances against kansas. Kansas has a good backcourt but no front court

By the time the tourney rolls around, KU may not have a back court either.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #135 on: January 26, 2017, 04:18:33 PM »
Would looooove to play Gonzaga

In a later round perhaps because if we play the Zags on the first weekend it is short tournament for us

Death on call

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #136 on: January 26, 2017, 05:58:48 PM »
However, even the lower-level WCC teams are better than another buy game against Grambling.

Why is this always the go to scheduling meme?  Wouldn't a road game more likely replace a game like Vanderbilt or Georgia?

A mediocre home game would be roughly on par with the Fresno St game.  If MU wants to host Univ of San Fran, just do it as a buy game.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #137 on: January 26, 2017, 06:51:44 PM »
Would they be able to withstand Buzz's mind games as he whispers to them from the opposing bench?

Those are nothing compared to Wojo's mind games they experience every day!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #138 on: January 26, 2017, 07:58:55 PM »
Why is this always the go to scheduling meme?  Wouldn't a road game more likely replace a game like Vanderbilt or Georgia?

A mediocre home game would be roughly on par with the Fresno St game.  If MU wants to host Univ of San Fran, just do it as a buy game.

Because you won't get those Gonzaga, BYU, and St. Mary's games otherwise, and those are worthwhile. And I'm willing to take one of them in lieu of a Vandy or Georgia.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #139 on: January 26, 2017, 10:19:16 PM »
Because you won't get those Gonzaga, BYU, and St. Mary's games otherwise, and those are worthwhile. And I'm willing to take one of them in lieu of a Vandy or Georgia.

So call Gonzaga and St. Mary's and try to schedule a home and home!  Why do we need to make it a mini-conference challenge?

Truth be told, the WCC has one big fish: Gonzaga.  I bet Gonzaga would demand to get another big fish.  So you get Gonzaga vs Villanova, maybe one other good game, and a bunch of mediocrity.  I don't see the logic.

Plus, St. Mary's is good some years but mediocre the others.  The Gaels have 4 NCAA appearances and 5 NIT appearances in the last 10 years.  This year they're likely a tourney team but they haven't danced the last 3.  I wouldn't complain about them being on the schedule but I don't see the need to add an extra 2-3 games of mediocrity by roping in the rest of the conference.

Finally, BYU does nothing for me.  Look at rpiforecast which lists the following expected rpi's:

Georgia 63.1
BYU 66.7
Vandy 78.9

So RPI wise and resume wise it's essentially a wash.  I'd still take the SEC teams over the WCC team from a brand and excitement standpoint.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #140 on: January 27, 2017, 06:44:17 AM »

and kansas is struggling with sophomore carlton bragg, having just suspended him for the 2nd time in the last couple months. they say the suspension is due to "violation of team rules" and unrelated to the sexual assault that occurred in his dorm last month.

don't...don't don't don't don't

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #141 on: January 27, 2017, 07:19:55 AM »
Lunardi new bracket has us in the tourney as a 8 seed playing VT in the midwest.

You don't think Lunardi did that for effect?

We may be an 8 seed, but there's a lot of 9 seeds we can play. I'd be shocked if we ended up playing the Hillbilly and his band of goofballs. That's too much even for the NCAA.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #142 on: January 27, 2017, 07:38:04 AM »

We may be an 8 seed, but there's a lot of 9 seeds we can play. I'd be shocked if we ended up playing the Hillbilly and his band of goofballs. That's too much even for the NCAA.
I looked at the other 8 and 9 seeds and the only one we would lose to is Dayton...Even with kostas not playing its too much ;D

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #143 on: January 27, 2017, 08:43:12 AM »
I looked at the other 8 and 9 seeds and the only one we would lose to is Dayton...Even with kostas not playing its too much ;D
We wouldn't have to play that game we already beat them.
Goal is National Championship

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #144 on: January 27, 2017, 08:54:36 AM »
I'd really like a matchup with ISU against Deonte

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #145 on: January 27, 2017, 09:07:03 AM »
We wouldn't have to play that game we already beat them.

ssshhhhhhhhhhhhhh..... it's a secret.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #146 on: January 27, 2017, 12:48:58 PM »
I'd really like a matchup with ISU against Deonte

That game would approach 100 if both teams brought their strokes
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #147 on: January 27, 2017, 12:50:37 PM »
That game would approach 100 if both teams brought their strokes

Hell with Deonte on the floor, we might score 150.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #148 on: January 27, 2017, 12:52:29 PM »

Hell with Deonte on the floor, we might score 150.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #149 on: January 27, 2017, 01:50:50 PM »

I've always wondered if Lunardi looked for storylines in his brackets. I remember being paired against IU in one. There was another where X and Arizona (former X coach) were in line to play in the second round. There have been others. Probably coincidence but you never know
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback