[Today at 08:56:30 AM]

Miletic Commits by Zog from Margo
[Today at 08:40:26 AM]

Hurley staying! by tower912
[Today at 07:21:10 AM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Shooter McGavin
[June 13, 2024, 11:28:02 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Random Thoughts...  (Read 7800 times)

Coobeys Oil Depot

Re: Random Thoughts...
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2008, 09:09:53 PM »
We're a great team. No doubt about it. A great team, with a lame nickname!!

And Coobey -- not that I need to explain myself to you, but I live in Chicago. An hour on a frigid night is a significant factor. Unless you drive almost 2 hours each way to watch the Warriors, I suggest to you that "pathetic" is not an appropriate description of my decision not to attend.

See, I could see the driving excuse for Seton Hall on Tuesday. Though better then last year's team missing a game versus a bottom third Pirates team is somewhat understandable. You are not attending that one.

It was the Big East opener. For a man who spends 50% of his time bemoaning our schedule opponents I'm shocked that you wouldn't attend the Big East opener against a team like Providence that will fight for an NCAA berth. Also, it's a Thursday night during a holiday week. I'm fairly certain you could sneak up for the game and squeak out the missed hour on a friday in which little gets done across the country. Ah, maybe not.

I don't understand the frigid comment. You live in Illinois and attend basketball games in Wisconsin during the winter. More to the point, you must lose a lot of money on your MU tickets. I doubt you attend the buy games unless you have nothing else to do. 8 pm starts are too late for driving. 6 pm/6.30 starts have to be too early. That leaves, like, 6-8 games a season.

I don't mean to slam you but I lived in Chicago for some time and have been through this plenty of times.

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2008, 10:55:22 PM »
Gross how can you drink that garbage. The only good thing about miller chill is the Miller Chill girls that go from bar to bar.

because that's not trashy at all  [end sarcasm]

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2008, 11:03:02 PM »
We're a great team. No doubt about it. A great team, with a lame nickname!!

And Coobey -- not that I need to explain myself to you, but I live in Chicago. An hour on a frigid night is a significant factor. Unless you drive almost 2 hours each way to watch the Warriors, I suggest to you that "pathetic" is not an appropriate description of my decision not to attend.

See, I could see the driving excuse for Seton Hall on Tuesday. Though better then last year's team missing a game versus a bottom third Pirates team is somewhat understandable. You are not attending that one.

It was the Big East opener. For a man who spends 50% of his time bemoaning our schedule opponents I'm shocked that you wouldn't attend the Big East opener against a team like Providence that will fight for an NCAA berth. Also, it's a Thursday night during a holiday week. I'm fairly certain you could sneak up for the game and squeak out the missed hour on a friday in which little gets done across the country. Ah, maybe not.

I don't understand the frigid comment. You live in Illinois and attend basketball games in Wisconsin during the winter. More to the point, you must lose a lot of money on your MU tickets. I doubt you attend the buy games unless you have nothing else to do. 8 pm starts are too late for driving. 6 pm/6.30 starts have to be too early. That leaves, like, 6-8 games a season.

I don't mean to slam you but I lived in Chicago for some time and have been through this plenty of times.

my two cents?  you would have found a way if you really had wanted to go.  that's all i'm sayin.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2008, 01:45:59 AM »

Also, I've asked the question before, but where are all of the Hiltopper alumni? Why aren't they "outraged" like the Warrior alumni?

Are they just too old to care and/or be heard from? (that's a serious question)

Here's a serious answer.  MU hasn't been the "Hilltoppers" since 1954, so I'd venture a guess that, yes, there is no outrage since that alumni base is 74 plus years old, and "Warriors" became deeply ingrained into the MU identity for forty years. 

I can't disagree... but I guess I just think the Warrior crowd pounds the drum pretty hard (no pun intended) about the "rightful name" being ripped away from them.

If Warrior fans have the right to be outraged, don't Hilltopper fans have the same and/or even great right to bitch about MU?

MU was the Hilltoppers LONG before it was ever the Warriors.

I don't like the way the university handled any of this stuff... but I have to say that people's sense of entitlement is a little curious.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2008, 03:37:09 AM »

Also, I've asked the question before, but where are all of the Hiltopper alumni? Why aren't they "outraged" like the Warrior alumni?

Here's a serious answer.  MU hasn't been the "Hilltoppers" since 1954, so I'd venture a guess that, yes, there is no outrage since that alumni base is 74 plus years old, and "Warriors" became deeply ingrained into the MU identity for forty years. 

I can't disagree... but I guess I just think the Warrior crowd pounds the drum pretty hard (no pun intended) about the "rightful name" being ripped away from them.

If Warrior fans have the right to be outraged, don't Hilltopper fans have the same and/or even great right to bitch about MU?

I don't like the way the university handled any of this stuff... but I have to say that people's sense of entitlement is a little curious.

There still are Hilltopper alums that want the name returned, never wanted Warriors to begin with, and has complained about it for 50+ years.  My parents are alums from that era that hated the Warriors name and nearly all of their alum friends did as well.  There were actually many that were happy when Warriors went away because they never wanted it to begin with.  But there are fewer and fewer of them around every year.  So the outrage that existed back in 1954 and carried on through the years just doesn't have enough people to spread the message.  Its too bad, because if you want to talk about MU forcing a nickname on it's alums/students/fans the change to Warriors may be a better example. 

Also, as a side note as to why you don't see that kind of thing here or the other MU boards when the topic comes up, but how many 74+ year olds do you know that even know what a internet message board is, let alone post on one?  I can only recall a handful of people who were Hilltopper era alums that have ever posted, whether its here, or Scout, or even JS Online and the old Rivals board.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2008, 08:50:05 AM »

So the outrage that existed back in 1954 and carried on through the years just doesn't have enough people to spread the message.  Its too bad, because if you want to talk about MU forcing a nickname on it's alums/students/fans the change to Warriors may be a better example. 

That's exactly what I'm getting at. I feel like some of the pro-Warrior group acts pretty righteous considering that the Warrior nickname was just as contrived at "Golden Eagles".

Again, I'm not saying I think Eagles should be the name, I'm just saying that the righteousness from the Warrior crowd is really misguided.

I understand people's passion for tradition, and I even understand that "Warriors" is a popular name... but realistically its not the  "right" or "real" name... that is "Hilltoppers".

ForstK

• Walk-On
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2008, 09:40:30 AM »
     I started MU in '56 and was surprised by the nickname change.  Didn't like the change as it appeared to be collateral damage from the invasion of the Boston Braves who have gone on to another hunting ground.  Golden Avalanche is my favorite of our past names. Voyageurs/Voyagers would be a relevant name.