[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Select Comfort "Sleep Number" Beds  (Read 6073 times)

Benny B

• All American
Select Comfort "Sleep Number" Beds
« on: January 16, 2017, 01:11:39 AM »
Anyone have one or know someone who has one?  My wife is convinced she needs one because of her sleep apnea, and I'm trying to cut through all the salesman's BS to figure out what these things are really like.  Any comments, feedback, suggestions would be appreciated. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: Select Comfort "Sleep Number" Beds
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 07:09:51 AM »
I'll PM you

Just woke up on one and I highly recommend. More to come in PM
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 08:22:01 AM »
We have had our sleep number bed for many years now. They are quite comfortable and I would recommend, but it is essentially an air mattress. Not sure if it would help your wife's sleep apnea as my wife still says I snore at night.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 09:24:08 AM »
Forget sleepin'. How's da pushin' on dis cushion, hey?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 10:00:11 AM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 09:54:56 AM »
I dumped mine after 3 months.  Felt like we were sleeping in separate beds pushed together.

No Thanks
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 10:14:56 AM »
Forget sleepin'. How's da pushin' on dis cushion, hey?

Unfortunately, settings come in increments of 5, so there's 65, there's 70, and then you're left to improvise.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 12:16:21 PM »
I dumped mine after 3 months.  Felt like we were sleeping in separate beds pushed together.

No Thanks

I second this.  I've slept on one once.  Me and then-GF stayed at a hotel that had one.  If you put one side at a high number and the other side as a low number, there is a huge, hard divider in the middle.  Two beds pushed together perfectly sums it up.

This was about ten years ago so maybe they have changed since then.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 12:23:18 PM »
Any recommendations on a firm flippable mattresses?
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 02:49:11 PM »
I second this.  I've slept on one once.  Me and then-GF stayed at a hotel that had one.  If you put one side at a high number and the other side as a low number, there is a huge, hard divider in the middle.  Two beds pushed together perfectly sums it up.

This was about ten years ago so maybe they have changed since then.

If you have been together 30+  years like glow and I have,  getting a good night's sleep trumps having a line of demarcation in your marital bed. As someone who has suffered from insomnia for years,  I would gladly trade having to "cross the line" occasionally for sexy time in exchange for consistently decent sleep. 
Have some patience, FFS.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 05:08:53 PM »
If you have been together 30+  years like glow and I have,  getting a good night's sleep trumps having a line of demarcation in your marital bed. As someone who has suffered from insomnia for years,  I would gladly trade having to "cross the line" occasionally for sexy time in exchange for consistently decent sleep.

"Put your setting on 12 honey - I'm coming over the line!"

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 05:54:51 PM »
Two weeks ago the 360 Bed was unveiled, with a phased rollout planned for this year. Prices will generally remain the same as they are on the current models.

Responsive air is a significant innovation. Some of the new beds' features:

·         Self-adjusting comfort throughout the night. As sleep positions change during the night, each partner can sleep comfortably. ResponsiveAir™ technology adjusts the bed’s comfort in real time via the two air chambers inside the mattress – gently contouring to each partner’s side, back or stomach profiles.
·         Automatic snore detection and adjustment. Sensing SleepIQ® biometrics, the adjustable base automatically adjusts to each sleeper’s ideal position throughout the night. For example, if someone is snoring on their back, the base automatically raises the snorers’ head seven degrees to help temporarily relieve the symptoms of common, mild snoring in otherwise healthy adults.
·         Foot-warming to fall asleep faster. Research shows that people fall asleep faster when their feet are warmed. Through SleepIQ technology, the Sleep Number 360 smart bed knows a sleepers’ bedtime routine and warms the foot of the bed automatically with Rapid Sleep Onset™ technology.
·         Smart alarm feature awakens at the optimal moment. The newest advancement of SleepIQ technology understands a sleeper’s bedtime routine, and knows when they would like to wake up. For example, an alarm will sound when they are in their lightest stage of sleep during their desired wake-up time window.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170103005160/en/Sleep-Number-Introduces-Sleep-Number-360%E2%84%A2-Smart

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 07:34:47 PM »
Hell, here I am having the same bed frame and mattress back at home for 20 years now.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2017, 08:34:00 PM »
We just bought a new mattress (Simmons) with a sweet adjustable base.  That's were the action is (pun intended, ana'l).

Adjustable base has vibration- full, head and feet (no $.25 motel bed like JB is used to), a no-snore setting, a zero gravity setting, and then bed goes up, bed goes down adjustable settings. 

nice thing is, single mattress, so no Chick-set no sex wall for ZFB.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2017, 10:47:29 AM »
ZFB has no dual adjustability. One choice for two people, and it's static. Rough.

After a long shift on her feet all day at the diner, I'm sure Ms. ZFB would appreciate a bed that would provide support & adjustability based on her desires.

Anyway, I would encourage folks to go to a Sleep Number store & try out the beds. Truth will be revealed.

The DualAir adjustability is key. All beds, but especially the mid & higher tiers, have great comfort layers above the air piece... not remotely the same experience as "an air mattress" 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2017, 11:27:05 AM »
ZFB has no dual adjustability. One choice for two people, and it's static. Rough.

After a long shift on her feet all day at the diner, I'm sure Ms. ZFB would appreciate a bed that would provide support & adjustability based on her desires.

Anyway, I would encourage folks to go to a Sleep Number store & try out the beds. Truth will be revealed.

The DualAir adjustability is key. All beds, but especially the mid & higher tiers, have great comfort layers above the air piece... not remotely the same experience as "an air mattress"

I've only slept on these a couple of times at hotels (can't remember which chain has them), and I've thought they were fine.  I've slept on air mattresses many times over the years, and I didn't think that these beds had that feel.  I'm sure that if they effectively handle the "comfort layers", these should no more feel like sleeping on an air mattress than a normal mattress should feel like you're sleeping on springs.  It's just a question of what they use to provide the base layer of support (air vs. springs) below all the cushioning on top.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2017, 12:25:19 PM »
We just bought a new mattress (Simmons) with a sweet adjustable base.  That's were the action is (pun intended, ana'l).

Adjustable base has vibration- full, head and feet (no $.25 motel bed like JB is used to), a no-snore setting, a zero gravity setting, and then bed goes up, bed goes down adjustable settings. 

nice thing is, single mattress, so no Chick-set no sex wall for ZFB.

Sounds great for Mrs. ZFB,  but how is it down there on the foot of the bed?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2017, 02:01:22 PM »

How are your SCSS holdings doing these days?

Joking aside, I appreciate the recommendations, but I'm going to hold off until the full 360 rollout... incidentally, during the sales pitch I asked whether they could be set to adjust automatically depending on body motion, direction/position, etc., and all the sales rep said was "they're working on it, but nothing yet."  So that would be the selling point for me.  I don't have sleep apnea, but I'm sure my recurring back issues have a lot to do with my current mattress and likely won't change with any conventional mattress setup.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2017, 06:45:08 PM »
How are your SCSS holdings doing these days?

Joking aside, I appreciate the recommendations, but I'm going to hold off until the full 360 rollout... incidentally, during the sales pitch I asked whether they could be set to adjust automatically depending on body motion, direction/position, etc., and all the sales rep said was "they're working on it, but nothing yet."  So that would be the selling point for me.  I don't have sleep apnea, but I'm sure my recurring back issues have a lot to do with my current mattress and likely won't change with any conventional mattress setup.

I have never held SCSS and have no plans to do so. Will PM you shortly though.

Responsive air will adjust automatically depending on position, to a degree. Very interesting technology.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2017, 08:39:38 PM »
Anyone have one or know someone who has one?  My wife is convinced she needs one because of her sleep apnea, and I'm trying to cut through all the salesman's BS to figure out what these things are really like.  Any comments, feedback, suggestions would be appreciated.

She needs a cpap.  Greatest invention, next to whiskey, slip bobbers, and of course, Real Chili.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2017, 08:54:57 PM »
She needs a cpap.  Greatest invention, next to whiskey, slip bobbers, and of course, Real Chili.

This. If she has diagnosed obstructive sleep apnea, it is a serious medical diagnosis that requires appropriate treatment - a CPAP machine.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2017, 09:50:42 PM »

No Thanks

My parents dumped theirs after a month. It's in the guest room now and I get to sleep on it. Uncomfortable, the ridge between the two sides is uncomfortable. I much the Temperpedic memory foam mattress.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2017, 08:01:50 PM »
Life sucks and then you die.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2017, 10:53:00 PM »
This. If she has diagnosed obstructive sleep apnea, it is a serious medical diagnosis that requires appropriate treatment - a CPAP machine.

Already has one.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2017, 07:10:44 AM »
Life sucks and then you die.

HGTV's Tiny House Hunters.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2017, 11:55:45 AM »
Don't do Sleep Number....glorified air mattress.

Get a Tempur-Pedic. Top of the line. Literally feels like you are sleeping on a cloud. I went from waking up 2-3 times a night to sleeping through the night consistently.

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2017, 03:57:25 PM »
Don't do Sleep Number....glorified air mattress.

Get a Tempur-Pedic. Top of the line. Literally feels like you are sleeping on a cloud. I went from waking up 2-3 times a night to sleeping through the night consistently.

My thoughts too on the sleep number. Why would you want something you can adjust when you really want to find the ideal support and leave it at that?  I had one that was only a full sized bed so I didn't have the problem of feeling like it was 2 mattresses pushed together, but I think memory foam is way more comfortable.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2017, 07:11:01 PM »
i guess the H2O beds have gone the way of the heavy chevy vans with the fuzzy walls and black lights.  nothing like hangin' ten on one those bad boys with a closin' time special-heyOOOOOOOOh!
don't...don't don't don't don't

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2017, 10:12:28 PM »
Marriott sells its mattresses (unused, thank you) at their online  store. Can even use points to buy them. They even put them on sale occasionally. My wife and I really like their mattresses and have said that when we're in the market again, we will at least consider them.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2017, 07:42:40 AM »
Alright, LXXXII and da Mrs. gettin' kinky, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2017, 11:11:09 AM »
Tried the new 360 Bed on the new FlexFit... niiiice! I actually LOVE the foot warming feature!!! And to have the bed sense & do insteAd of me clicking something or plugging something in... good user experience

BTW, the beds have changed quite a bit over the past several years...

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2017, 01:01:16 PM »
My thoughts too on the sleep number. Why would you want something you can adjust when you really want to find the ideal support and leave it at that?  I had one that was only a full sized bed so I didn't have the problem of feeling like it was 2 mattresses pushed together, but I think memory foam is way more comfortable.

Memory foam won't work for me... I sleep side, back and/or stomach depending on how my body feels at night - sometimes all three.  MF wouldn't be so bad if you sleep in the same position all the time, but I need a certain firmness, which with memory foam only comes in the variety that retains its shape much better meaning going from one direction to another makes it feel like I'm sleeping on a speed bump until the foam adjusts.

Right now, we have a king Serta/Vera Wang pillowtop mattress that's been through three pregnancies... over time, the pillow top has compressed on our respective sides, so there's a ridge in the middle that's just as distinct, if not more so, as the SN bed, so that didn't really seem like a negative when we tried it out.  I suppose if you're sleeping in a double or queen, it's going to be more troublesome.  Maybe it also has something to do with our numbers being 5 points apart... not really sure.

We also have an Aerobed in our guestroom upstairs for overflow purposes... maybe my wife and I were trying out different beds than all y'all, but it didn't seem anything like sleeping on an air mattress.

My one concern is that it holds up like the company says it will.  The conventional mattresses we looked at recently are advertised with 15-25 year warranties, yet the same company tells you to change your mattress every 6-7 years.  Our mattress is going on 8 years now... to say we've tolerated it for the last 5 because we couldn't bring ourselves to replacing it after 3 (when the pillowtop started becoming noticeably compressed), let alone 6-7, is an understatement.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2017, 01:29:14 PM »
My brother and his wife like their Sleep#, my parents tried one and returned it because they "couldn't even find an acceptable number.

We have been satisfied with a Stearns & Foster pillowtop for at least 10 years now.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2017, 01:34:26 PM »
Memory foam won't work for me... I sleep side, back and/or stomach depending on how my body feels at night - sometimes all three.  MF wouldn't be so bad if you sleep in the same position all the time, but I need a certain firmness, which with memory foam only comes in the variety that retains its shape much better meaning going from one direction to another makes it feel like I'm sleeping on a speed bump until the foam adjusts.

Right now, we have a king Serta/Vera Wang pillowtop mattress that's been through three pregnancies... over time, the pillow top has compressed on our respective sides, so there's a ridge in the middle that's just as distinct, if not more so, as the SN bed, so that didn't really seem like a negative when we tried it out.  I suppose if you're sleeping in a double or queen, it's going to be more troublesome.  Maybe it also has something to do with our numbers being 5 points apart... not really sure.

We also have an Aerobed in our guestroom upstairs for overflow purposes... maybe my wife and I were trying out different beds than all y'all, but it didn't seem anything like sleeping on an air mattress.

My one concern is that it holds up like the company says it will.  The conventional mattresses we looked at recently are advertised with 15-25 year warranties, yet the same company tells you to change your mattress every 6-7 years.  Our mattress is going on 8 years now... to say we've tolerated it for the last 5 because we couldn't bring ourselves to replacing it after 3 (when the pillowtop started becoming noticeably compressed), let alone 6-7, is an understatement.

I hear you with the pillowtop. Our old mattress was a pillowtop and it drove us crazy after 3 or 4 years. We got a tempur-pedic with no pillowtop and bought a pillowtop mattress cover which we replace every year or two. It works out well.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2017, 05:45:46 PM »
Alright, LXXXII and da Mrs. gettin' kinky, hey?

Well, we do make sexy time every once in a blue moon, if that's how you define "kinky."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2017, 12:36:27 PM »

Whoa. What do you do with the mattress offspring?