collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Mock Drafts by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 04:11:43 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by Tha Hound
[Today at 03:53:44 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 03:37:40 PM]

2024-25 Roster by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[June 08, 2024, 07:42:23 PM]

Incoming freshmen by MuMark
[June 08, 2024, 07:03:51 PM]

And The New...... by Tyler COLEk
[June 08, 2024, 11:45:55 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Herman Cain
[June 08, 2024, 11:31:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Most often, my first cup of coffee every morning is made:

At a local coffeeshop or bistro
At a chain (Sbux, DD, Caribou, etc.)
At work (or in the building where I work)
At a gas station or convenience store
At someplace else
By a co-worker, intern, secretary, boss, etc.
By myself or my spouse
By a barista
By whoever makes the coffee or someone else (i.e. I don't know)
With a fancy commercial-grade espresso machine or brewer
With a French Press
With a cold-brewer
With a Keurig
With a traditional drip brewer
With something else
At home (my bad)

Author Topic: How do you Coffee?  (Read 8728 times)

mr.MUskie

• All American
Re: How do you Coffee?
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2017, 12:40:17 AM »
I started drinking coffee every morning when I was in first grade (Boston - extra cream).  Now I drink it chicos non-traditional. Gotta have my coffee, the darker and stronger the better. Just started playing around with a Bialetti Stovetop Espresso Maker.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2017, 03:41:44 AM »
I've really been interested in getting into cold brewing because sometimes I am in the mood for cold coffee instead of hot.

Anyone on the board have any experience with cold brewing?  Any recommendations?

I use this for my cold brew,  it works fantastic.

https://www.amazon.com/Hario-Mizudashi-Coffee-Maker-1000ml/dp/B001VPXEBU

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2017, 07:49:08 AM »
There was no, "I don't coffee and I hate the taste of it, but I do drink a lot of hot tea" option. I feel left out....I need a safe space now.

And so ...

You and I have one MORE thing in common, mu03.

I have tried two sips of coffee in my life. The first was decades ago from my mom's cup and I thought it was the most disgusting thing I had ever tried. About 3 years ago, realizing that tastes change and seeing how much my wife loves her java, I tried a sip of hers. It just didn't work for me.

I also dislike coffee ice cream, coffee-flavored candies, etc.

I do enjoy tea - black tea, green tea, herbal teas of many flavors. My daughter used to work in management at Starbucks and she would occasionally get me some Teavana. The flavor she chose (can't remember what it's called now) was delicious, but prices there are outrageous!

I'm fine with a cup of plain ol' Lipton, a squeeze of lemon and a half-teaspoon of honey. Costs about 3 cents and works just fine.

Oh, and I go through a crapload of iced tea. Several servings a day, sometimes just with lemon and sometimes with lemonade for an Arnie Palmer. Always sipped from either my Marquette or Panthers tervis cups.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2017, 07:59:01 AM »
And so ...

You and I have one MORE thing in common, mu03.

I have tried two sips of coffee in my life. The first was decades ago from my mom's cup and I thought it was the most disgusting thing I had ever tried. About 3 years ago, realizing that tastes change and seeing how much my wife loves her java, I tried a sip of hers. It just didn't work for me.

I also dislike coffee ice cream, coffee-flavored candies, etc.

I do enjoy tea - black tea, green tea, herbal teas of many flavors. My daughter used to work in management at Starbucks and she would occasionally get me some Teavana. The flavor she chose (can't remember what it's called now) was delicious, but prices there are outrageous!

I'm fine with a cup of plain ol' Lipton, a squeeze of lemon and a half-teaspoon of honey. Costs about 3 cents and works just fine.

Oh, and I go through a crapload of iced tea. Several servings a day, sometimes just with lemon and sometimes with lemonade for an Arnie Palmer. Always sipped from either my Marquette or Panthers tervis cups.

I think part of my issue is I just never grew up around it. My parents didn't drink the stuff so other than when I was with my great grandparents I wasn't around coffee drinkers

My wife loves her coffee as well. The thing that boggles my mind about coffee is how few people actually...ya know...drink coffee....since everyone adds a million things to it. My wife has no less than 5 different creamers in our fridge of all sorts of flavors. When I occasionally make her a cup of coffee on the weekends I know that creamer and sugar go in until the coffee looks like the desert. How is that actually coffee? I'd say at least 90% of the people who drink coffee in my office area at work(free coffee and tea which is nice) do so with at least one adder to it, with as many as three adders. Are they really drinking coffee?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2017, 08:07:09 AM »
Black

Black & Sweet - Everyday the same way I first tried coffee as a 16 year old exchange student in France. 

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2017, 08:37:16 AM »
I use this for my cold brew,  it works fantastic.

https://www.amazon.com/Hario-Mizudashi-Coffee-Maker-1000ml/dp/B001VPXEBU

Thanks for the recommendation.  So you put in the recommended amount of coffee in the filter, fill it up with water, leave it overnight, and you have nearly a liter of cold brewed coffee ready for you in the morning?  Or is there more to it?  If I have a french press could I achieve the same results with that?

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2017, 09:34:09 AM »
Thanks for the recommendation.  So you put in the recommended amount of coffee in the filter, fill it up with water, leave it overnight, and you have nearly a liter of cold brewed coffee ready for you in the morning?  Or is there more to it? If I have a french press could I achieve the same results with that?

I've used the French press method. It works fine. Cold brewing like that yields a concentrate, so you'll have to water it down.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2017, 09:37:58 AM »

I think part of my issue is I just never grew up around it. My parents didn't drink the stuff so other than when I was with my great grandparents I wasn't around coffee drinkers

My wife loves her coffee as well. The thing that boggles my mind about coffee is how few people actually...ya know...drink coffee....since everyone adds a million things to it. My wife has no less than 5 different creamers in our fridge of all sorts of flavors. When I occasionally make her a cup of coffee on the weekends I know that creamer and sugar go in until the coffee looks like the desert. How is that actually coffee? I'd say at least 90% of the people who drink coffee in my office area at work(free coffee and tea which is nice) do so with at least one adder to it, with as many as three adders. Are they really drinking coffee?

I tease my wife all the time that what she really likes is sweet, coffee-flavored milk.  I drink mine black.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2017, 09:44:12 AM »

Agreement from our family.  Two of us drink it black, two with a little cream.  Nothing fancy. Coffee.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2017, 10:25:41 AM »
I make a batch of cold brew each week typically using Dark Matter Barrel Aged Coffee Beans (in Chicago). I do a 24hr steep in water on my counter in a large glass container with a 10:1 ratio of beans to water. Usually 150g of beans to 1500ml of water. After that i filter through using my Chemex coffee carafe with a metal filter. That amount will typically get through a week. I then usually put 75ml of concentrate per 16oz glass with ice and water. Tasty stuff.

I will sometimes have a few more pour over cups in the office where we have Inteligencia since we use their coffees in our beers.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2017, 10:40:08 AM »
I've used the French press method. It works fine. Cold brewing like that yields a concentrate, so you'll have to water it down.

+100.

French press cold brew was the first and last time I'll ever O/D'd on caffeine.  And I used to eat espresso beans like candy in college (in my defense, they were covered in chocolate).  Took me two days to get back to normal. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2017, 12:37:40 PM »
I like my coffee the same way I like my women:  hot and black.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2017, 05:15:14 PM »
We have a Swiss made machine that makes Cappucinos, Lattes or coffee at the press of a button. First thing in the morning I turn it on to warm up.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2017, 08:39:40 PM »
I make a batch of cold brew each week typically using Dark Matter Barrel Aged Coffee Beans (in Chicago). I do a 24hr steep in water on my counter in a large glass container with a 10:1 ratio of beans to water. Usually 150g of beans to 1500ml of water. After that i filter through using my Chemex coffee carafe with a metal filter. That amount will typically get through a week. I then usually put 75ml of concentrate per 16oz glass with ice and water. Tasty stuff.

I will sometimes have a few more pour over cups in the office where we have Inteligencia since we use their coffees in our beers.

The Dark Matter Barrel aged beans are some of the best things I have ever tasted coffee-wise, even here in the PNW nothing has come that close for me.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2017, 09:41:07 PM »

I hear ya, bro.

It's like when I was at Marquette and I'd ask someone where they were from and they'd say, "Chicago." Except none of them was from Chicago. They were from Arlington Heights and Buffalo Grove and Olympia Fields and Naperville. I was convinced the population of Chicago proper actually was 0!

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2017, 02:00:25 AM »
I hear ya, bro.

It's like when I was at Marquette and I'd ask someone where they were from and they'd say, "Chicago." Except none of them was from Chicago. They were from Arlington Heights and Buffalo Grove and Olympia Fields and Naperville. I was convinced the population of Chicago proper actually was 0!

Still to this day people do that, and its just as annoying.

Anyways, currently enjoying a Fog Chaser k-cup with two sugars to get me through this first day of classes.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2017, 06:26:14 AM »
When I started at Marquette, it took me about...a day to figure out people from Chicago have a reputation in WI. Having grown up in Rockford, my response was always, "I'm from Illinois... not Chicago".  You could see a noticeable change in their reaction nearly half the time.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2017, 06:54:35 AM »

I think that's pretty common, and isn't limited to Chicago. People often answer the "where are you from" question with a broader response when further from home. If I meet someone in another area and they ask, I'll tell them I'm from Cleveland. If I meet someone in the greater Cleveland area and they ask, I'll tell them Broadview Heights. It's actually a pretty typical (and sensible) way to handle the question.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2017, 07:18:38 AM »
Tea, green, no additives
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2017, 07:32:40 AM »
When I started at Marquette, it took me about...a day to figure out people from Chicago have a reputation in WI. Having grown up in Rockford, my response was always, "I'm from Illinois... not Chicago".  You could see a noticeable change in their reaction nearly half the time.

I hear ya.  We've lived in suburban Chicago for almost 30 years.  But I still consider myself to be a Wisconsinite.  My favorite line......'My two favorite days driving to work are the two days after the Packers beat the Bears.'

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2017, 07:55:11 AM »
I like my coffee the same way I like my women:  hot and black.

You forgot,  "and ready for the cream"

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2017, 08:41:13 AM »

Anyways, currently enjoying a Fog Chaser k-cup with two sugars to get me through this first day of classes.

Yep, two biggest annoying habits for Marquette students I interacted with were:

if they were from Illinois "I'm from Chicago." "Oh, where" "Joliet" or "Naperville". :o I went to high school in a far NW suburb of Chicago and was always very deliberate in stating that up front but since I grew up all over, I probably didn't have that regional "I'm from Chicago" pride drilled into me.

if they were from Wisconsin, the habit of wearing Madison gear at any point during the basketball season especially but just generally wearing Madison gear on campus really ground my gears
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2017, 08:45:54 AM »
I hear ya.  We've lived in suburban Chicago for almost 30 years.  But I still consider myself to be a Wisconsinite.  My favorite line......'My two favorite days driving to work are the two days after the Packers beat the Bears.'

Brings up a good question, when you travel around and someone asks where you are from what is your response?

I use to say all over because I never really lived anywhere longer than 4 years and never identified as from anywhere in particular. Now I generally respond as Milwaukee because I've lived here longer than anywhere ever, but I don't usually identify as a Wisconsinite....I think I'm weird.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2017, 08:47:38 AM »
Two enormous mugs of black, dark roast coffee every morning before leaving the house.  Don't touch it the rest of the day.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2017, 09:19:30 AM »
Brings up a good question, when you travel around and someone asks where you are from what is your response?

I use to say all over because I never really lived anywhere longer than 4 years and never identified as from anywhere in particular. Now I generally respond as Milwaukee because I've lived here longer than anywhere ever, but I don't usually identify as a Wisconsinite....I think I'm weird.

Well, when I lived in Chicago - really in Chicago - for 16 years, I'd say "Chicago." I like to think that if I lived in Naperville, I would have said, "In the suburbs of Chicago" or something, but maybe I wouldn't have.

Now that I live outside of Charlotte, I get asked that a lot in casual conversation. I usually say, "I'm originally from Connecticut, but I moved here from Chicago."

My favorite where-are-you-from story:

I was on a flight outside the U.S. about 25 years ago and the guy in the next seat starts this conversation (as I remember it):

"So where are you from originally?"

"A town in Connecticut called Milford."

"Oh. Where's that?"

"It's on the Long Island Sound between Bridgeport and New Haven."

"I don't know where those are."

"Bridgeport is about an hour, hour and a half, from New York City."

"Oh! New York! Do you know (and he gives me some name)?"
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 10:07:07 AM by MU82 »

feedback