collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: If we didn't hate UW-Madison enough already  (Read 14798 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: If we didn't hate UW-Madison enough already
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2016, 03:22:18 PM »
So how can "the problem of whiteness" not be locked into a single myopic perspective?

Because in an ideal world the class will bring together the viewpoints of whites, blacks, Hispanics, Asians, etc, as well as both males and females of the varied ethnicities.

I'm not a religious person, but I took religion courses at Marquette. Those classes challenged my own beliefs and led me to do an independent study course (communications major) of writing a 120-page screenplay that looked at a "What if" scenario of Christ returning today. In those classes, we had Catholics, non-Catholic Christians, Jews, and Atheists like myself. Those divergent viewpoints made for better discussion and a better classroom dynamic.

One of the biggest problems in our society today is that people tend to only surround themselves with those that think like they do, only watch news that reinforces what they already believe, and only read articles that affirm their own beliefs and push them more and more to the furthest out ideology closest to their baseline. How can you understand what others think if you don't listen to them? How can you consider the dissenting opinion if you never allow it to be heard?

At the end of the day, you can have a discussion with yourself all you like, but you'll never learn anything new.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2016, 03:35:41 PM »
My brother took a women's studies course at MSU.  Only guy in the class.  Challenged the teacher whenever she started painting in overly broad strokes.  To hear him tell it, it got to the point that all he had to do was raise his hand and she would say 'OK, Patrick, that was over the line.'.
 His perspective was challenged.  He survived.  His mind was opened.  And  my family loves a good discussion.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2016, 03:44:38 PM »
So how can "the problem of whiteness" not be locked into a single myopic perspective?

Did you read the course description I posted above?  Or are you just hung up on the title?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2016, 03:49:21 PM »
My brother took a women's studies course at MSU.  Only guy in the class.  Challenged the teacher whenever she started painting in overly broad strokes.  To hear him tell it, it got to the point that all he had to do was raise his hand and she would say 'OK, Patrick, that was over the line.'.
 His perspective was challenged.  He survived.  His mind was opened.  And  my family loves a good discussion.

I took Women In the Bible at MU. 3 guys. My buddy & I got scolded & the teacher threatened to toss us within the first 10 minutes of class. My mind wasn't opened

Now, Intro to Islam... that was interesting. 50%+ of the class were Muslims... Jesuit taught the course... I sat back and took in the discussions... mind opened

Whites are bad class... shrug
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2016, 04:34:18 PM »
I took Women In the Bible at MU. 3 guys. My buddy & I got scolded & the teacher threatened to toss us within the first 10 minutes of class. My mind wasn't opened

Now, Intro to Islam... that was interesting. 50%+ of the class were Muslims... Jesuit taught the course... I sat back and took in the discussions... mind opened

Whites are bad class... shrug

So in other words, it's all about how the professor handles the subject matter.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2016, 04:53:54 PM »

So in other words, it's all about how the professor handles the subject matter.

How confident they are in their lives & their ability to not be an over-emotional victim

A Catholic priest who has studied Islam vs a white who thinks whites are awful... yeah
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2016, 05:08:23 PM »
How confident they are in their lives & their ability to not be an over-emotional victim

A Catholic priest who has studied Islam vs a white who thinks whites are awful... yeah

Is the professor white?  Does he think whites are awful?  He is a Harvard and Northwestern graduate who studies race.  I have no idea if he would conduct a good course or not.

And I had Fr. Lambeck for Islam and thought he was terrible.  He kept referring to Muslims as "Mohammedans," which is actually a little offensive. 

As I said, a good professor can do well with this topic.  Bad ones won't.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2016, 06:33:58 PM »

Did you read the course description I posted above?  Or are you just hung up on the title?

Where you lose me is that racism is institutionalized and it only runs one way. As you say, in this class, we will ask what an ethical white identity entails, what it means to be #woke, and consider the journal Race Traitor’s motto, “treason to whiteness is loyalty to humanity.”  In other words to be loyal to humanity I must know in the deepest recesses of my being that I am consciously or unconsciously a racist simply by being white. You or no one else knows what is in my heart. You fail to see me as an individual. You only see my whiteness.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2016, 06:45:54 PM »
Where you lose me is that racism is institutionalized and it only runs one way. As you say, in this class, we will ask what an ethical white identity entails, what it means to be #woke, and consider the journal Race Traitor’s motto, “treason to whiteness is loyalty to humanity.”  In other words to be loyal to humanity I must know in the deepest recesses of my being that I am consciously or unconsciously a racist simply by being white. You or no one else knows what is in my heart. You fail to see me as an individual. You only see my whiteness.

You believe that your race is a static variable.  The theory here is that race is a social construct.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2016, 07:59:16 PM »
We have a few people who profess to know exactly what will be discussed during the semester, how every conversation will go, how the students will interact with each other and the professor, how the course will progress over time, etc.

They don't need to see the syllabus. They don't need to know anything about the instructor or the students.

But they, like the legislator who wants to BAN IT! sight unseen, know everything there is to know!

It sure must be wonderful to be all-knowing like that.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #60 on: December 27, 2016, 08:16:42 PM »
Am I the only upper middle class white kid from the suburbs that not only earned a degree at MU but also gained a fantastic perspective on how lucky i was that the deck was stacked in my favor? 

reading this thread my assumption is either most of you grew up in socioeconomically diverse communities (i know some did, so no disparagement meant) or you never ventured into the communities surrounding the campus.

If there is real structure and research behind the curriculum i don't get why people are offended, especially since 75% of the enrollment is white.....and i'm guessing not familiar with a non rural/suburban environment.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2016, 09:34:55 PM »

Sounds like the course will teach a perspective different from your own. Audit the class and find out!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2016, 12:54:56 AM »
It is a perspective that is not mine.  To be challenged is to better understand my own perspective.  To be forced to examine things I take for granted is an opportunity for growth. 
Again, why do NFL officials use so many camera angles when reviewing a play?

+1

Most of what I know comes from people that think different than I.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2016, 06:56:50 AM »
+1

Most of what I know comes from people that think different than I.

So what you're saying is you've learned just about everything you know from chicos?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2016, 07:28:49 PM »
So what you're saying is you've learned just about everything you know from chicos?

this chicos guy must have been some kind of 'scoop hero, enn'a?
don't...don't don't don't don't

MU82

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2016, 10:30:53 PM »
this chicos guy must have been some kind of 'scoop hero, enn'a?

You know it, Boo-Boo.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2017, 04:27:08 PM »
..and it only get better.

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=8591

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2017, 04:29:48 PM »

"Men-identified students” can apply to join the program, where participants enter a space for “critical self-reflection” so that they can both challenge traditional views of masculinity and promote gender equity,"

So in other words, it is completely optional.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2017, 04:41:23 PM »

Yea...Nothing wrong with this course either. The hyper-masculine society we live in is a very big issue for those who identify as males. One of the reasons suicide rates in men is much higher than women.

Break down the gender norms.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2017, 04:47:43 PM »
I took two mistitled classes at MU; History of Jazz and Acting for Non-Theater Majors.

Boths should have been called "Class with Basketball Players".
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 04, 2017, 04:57:40 PM »
I took two mistitled classes at MU; History of Jazz and Acting for Non-Theater Majors.

Boths should have been called "Class with Basketball Players".

Ha, I almost took a dance class my last semester until I realized I didn't need the credits. (Saved me some money didnt take enough credits to technically being full time)

Thinking back on it, I should have just done it for the story.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 04, 2017, 05:27:12 PM »
Yea...Nothing wrong with this course either. The hyper-masculine society we live in is a very big issue for those who identify as males. One of the reasons suicide rates in men is much higher than women.

Break down the gender norms.

Suicidal thoughts run higher in women than men. It's just that men succeed at taking their own life more than women. I believe depression, not hyper-masculinity, leads to suicide.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/jan/21/suicide-gender-men-women-mental-health-nick-clegg

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 04, 2017, 05:32:11 PM »
Suicidal thoughts run higher in women than men. It's just that men succeed at taking their own life more than women. I believe depression, not hyper-masculinity, leads to suicide.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/jan/21/suicide-gender-men-women-mental-health-nick-clegg

Depression can stem from many causes. Tramautic events, bullying, etc.

Anyways, that's besides the point, nothing wrong with the class, choose to take it or not doesn't really matter. If it offends you for whatever reason so be it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 04, 2017, 06:00:33 PM »
Keep missing the parts where these classes are requirements.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 04, 2017, 06:33:12 PM »
No, just wondering why there are no courses on "the problem of blackness" or a course "where participants enter a space for “critical self-reflection” so that they can both challenge non-traditional views of femininity and promote gender self esteem".

feedback