[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: It'll be fun to play the Badgers when....  (Read 2966 times)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
It'll be fun to play the Badgers when....
« on: December 07, 2016, 11:47:02 AM »
...they are not the only team with three point shooters.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

The Lens

• All American
Re: It'll be fun to play the Badgers when....
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 12:05:12 PM »
If Sam puts up 19 & 6 again, they will lose it.

They could explain away Henry.  You cannot explain away missing on Sam Hauser.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 12:07:27 PM »
Afetr watching our s0-called interior defense last night their three point shooters don't worry me half as much as what Happ might do.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 12:13:45 PM »
If they shoot like they did against Creighton then I'm not sure you can call them a 3pt shooting team
Maigh Eo for Sam

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 12:19:18 PM »

We have Hauswitzer!
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 12:26:05 PM »
Afetr watching our s0-called interior defense last night their three point shooters don't worry me half as much as what Happ might do.

That's my biggest concern. It took a few games, but I think Gard is starting to realize that Happ is his best player. Their first four games, Happ took 22 shots (5.5 per game) and never more than 7 in a single game. The last five, he's taken 54 shots (10.8 per game) and never less than 8 in a single game. With that increase in opportunity, he's actually become more efficient from the field as well as getting to the line more frequently.

Ideally, Marquette wants to put the ball in Bronson Koenig's hands and get him shooting from the outside. He's a mediocre 31.6% beyond the arc but he loves shooting it. In their two losses, he was 3/13 (Creighton) and 0/5 (UNC) beyond the arc. His 11.9% assist rate and 31.9% shots taken indicates that he wants the ball and wants to shoot. We could really use a healthy Traci, because his defender needs to be able to stay in front of him and force him to shoot it from the outside (he takes 8.4 threes per game) instead of letting him drive, where he is far more effective (63.6 2PFG%).

If we are hitting shots and can turn it into a three-point shooting contest, I like our odds. But if they get a lead and just start feeding Happ, we'll be in trouble.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 12:43:08 PM »
UW shot it very well from three against Cuse and OU. Hoping they regress back to the mean on Saturday.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 12:43:18 PM »
That's my biggest concern. It took a few games, but I think Gard is starting to realize that Happ is his best player.
I didn't see their game against Creighton, but I recall others says the Jays immediately doubled Happ--something Wojo has been reluctant to do-- whenever he got the ball and dared the rodents to hoist three.  Hope Wojo adjusts or Luke is going to play about 12 minutes.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 02:24:07 PM »
While watching a Badger game earlier this season  the announcer said that Happ had never made a basket outside the paint during his college career. That can't possibly be true, right?

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 03:11:54 PM »
While watching a Badger game earlier this season  the announcer said that Happ had never made a basket outside the paint during his college career. That can't possibly be true, right?

A badger guy at work told me the same thing this morning, so maybe?

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 03:54:45 PM »
A badger guy at work told me the same thing this morning, so maybe?

Maybe the Same announcer.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2016, 04:23:58 PM »
It's true. Happ has no jumper. He can barely make free throws. But he is phenomenal in the post. Creighton was able to take him completely out of his game. Hopefully Wojo and the boys are watching a lot of that tape.

Another key to the game will be to force them to play at our pace. They aren't very good at running the floor - that's how NC beat them. WI still likes to play sloooooooow.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 10:42:20 PM by MomofMUltiples »
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2016, 05:31:26 PM »
I didn't see their game against Creighton, but I recall others says the Jays immediately doubled Happ--something Wojo has been reluctant to do-- whenever he got the ball and dared the rodents to hoist three.  Hope Wojo adjusts or Luke is going to play about 12 minutes.

That's the best strategy. Thing is, both Hayes and Koenig are more than happy to shoot threes, but neither is particularly good at it (not bad, just not good). Happ is the guy to be worried about. Double him, smother him, force him to pass and the odds of victory increase exponentially.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

brandx

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2016, 05:34:50 PM »
That's my biggest concern. It took a few games, but I think Gard is starting to realize that Happ is his best player. Their first four games, Happ took 22 shots (5.5 per game) and never more than 7 in a single game. The last five, he's taken 54 shots (10.8 per game) and never less than 8 in a single game. With that increase in opportunity, he's actually become more efficient from the field as well as getting to the line more frequently.

I'm a lot dumber than Gard and I knew Happ was their best player before the season started, so I'm sure he did too.

The thing Gard did was getting Nigel's game straightened out. He's gone from being a 3 point chucker to having the offense run through him.

breadtree

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2016, 12:48:31 PM »

Another key to the game will be to force them to play at our pace. They aren't very good at running the floor - that's how NC beat them. WI still likes to play sloooooooow.

UW averages 63.7 possessions per game.  The UNC game was played at 67 possessions.  The OU game was played at 68.  The Tennessee and Georgetown games were played at 66.

Last year, when Marquette beat Wisconsin, the game was 59 possessions.