Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: HBU thoughts  (Read 9212 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: HBU thoughts
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2016, 09:50:24 AM »
Lockett played D.  Lockett passed well.  Lockett "fit".  Lockett was not a gunner.  This, I'm afraid, is not a Lockett situation.

six games into Lockett season everyone thought he sucked (because he did not do any of the things noted above in the first six games).  He turned out to be pretty good (above is an accurate impression of him after 30 games)

six games into Carlino's season most thought he was a bust.  He might have been our best player that season

six games into Katin's season many are getting antsy that he is not any good.  Give it to the end of January,  Transfers need 10 to 15 games to figure it it.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 09:52:46 AM by Jesse Livermore »

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2016, 10:31:07 AM »
So you're agreeing with me. Thanks.

A tenth of a percentage point was worth a "no he didn't"? Pedantry at its worst.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2016, 10:42:03 AM »
I wouldn't say they do nothing. You can tell that Wojo is having the players work on things. The pick and roll defense was better last night except when Luke bumped the ball handler way beyond the three point line for his first foul. A Big East team will have him fouled out in 5 minutes if he keeps pulling that crap.

I will also say that it feels nice to dominate cupcakes again. Maybe I'm misremebering but I feel like it took as longer last year get in control of these games and we looked more sloppy doing it.
As far as cupcakes go HBU was not bad , they had a few decent players.  They exposed things we need to work on such as defense. Also it is good for guys to have some positive offensive moments to build off of.  For example Duane built on his prior good performance and he has that spark and lift again.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2016, 11:04:57 AM »
six games into Lockett season everyone thought he sucked (because he did not do any of the things noted above in the first six games).  He turned out to be pretty good (above is an accurate impression of him after 30 games)

That is simply not true.  After six games he was shooting over 40% with 41 total attempts in about the same number of minutes that Katin has now.  Katin OTOH has taken 58 shots and only making 25% of them.

six games into Carlino's season most thought he was a bust.  He might have been our best player that season

He scored 38 points v. Georgia Tech in his fifth game so this is inaccurate as well.

six games into Katin's season many are getting antsy that he is not any good.  Give it to the end of January,  Transfers need 10 to 15 games to figure it it.

I would guess this is pretty much an unsubstantiated argument.

Now I am not calling him a bust because he may indeed turn it around.  But he is nowhere near like either Lockett or Carlino were.  Not even close.  This is just a bad theory.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 11:08:42 AM by Dr. Vinnie Boombatz »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2016, 11:10:19 AM »
All true Sultan but the only thing that I noted last night was that Katin's shot didn't fall.  I didn't think he took bad ones and I didn't think he tried to play hero ball.  So I was okay with it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2016, 11:11:56 AM »
All true Sultan but the only thing that I noted last night was that Katin's shot didn't fall.  I didn't think he took bad ones and I didn't think he tried to play hero ball.  So I was okay with it.

Yeah I agree with this.  He didn't take a shot outside the flow of the offense.  I think he is going to be fine.  Or at least I hope he will.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2016, 11:25:02 AM »

Yeah I agree with this.  He didn't take a shot outside the flow of the offense.  I think he is going to be fine.  Or at least I hope he will.

How 'bout that sequence when he missed a good look, we got the rebound and fed him again for another miss? Just not his night.  But do note that Hauser now gets more minutes.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2016, 11:26:47 AM »

Six Games In

Lockett
9.0 PPG
4.5 RPG
1.5 APG
43.9 eFG%
41 shot attempts

Carlino
14.3 PPG
3.3 RPG
2.8 APG
49.2 eFG%
62 shot attempts

Reinhardt
8.8 PPG
3.0 RPG
1.3 APG
33.6 eFG%
58 shot attempts

I don't think you can really compare either of them with Carlino, who had only one real stinker (NJIT) in his first six, which also included his blistering 38 points against Georgia Tech. But the big difference for me is that Reinhardt's terrible eFG% is made worse by his high quantity of shot attempts.

He did miss a number of open looks last night, but at this point he just doesn't seem to have it. Not sure why or what's wrong. Maybe it's his form, maybe his confidence, maybe he's just not acclimated to the system, but thus far, I'd say of our three grad transfers in the past 5 years, he is definitely the most disappointing through 6 games.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2016, 11:39:22 AM »
This. Apparently, many Scoopers learned nothing from the Lockett experience.
Lockett's issues were TOs and getting his shot to drop early.  But he played solid defense and rebounded and his TO's dropped late December and his shot started to fall.  Katin has not shown much in any area other than FT shooting so far.  Needs to get going soon for next week's trio of gaames (GA/FSU/WI) and the BE season. 

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2016, 11:44:54 AM »
A tenth of a percentage point was worth a "no he didn't"? Pedantry at its worst.
Huh.  I thought I must be misunderstanding the argument. 
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2016, 12:07:57 PM »
Lockett's year certainly wasn't the gold standard. Not good shooting, lots of turnovers.

The turnovers were expected based on past performance... but, the shooting? Yikes. 54.7% and 53.4% eFG% in the two years prior to arrival in Milwaukee.. then he drops to sub-45% with us.

2FG% was 43.6% at MU... 53.2% in his three years at ASU.

Must be MU
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2016, 12:52:34 PM »
Trent Lockett would do wonders for this team.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2016, 01:16:14 PM »
I've really liked how Duane has been playing the last 2 games

MU82

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2016, 02:13:34 PM »
That is simply not true.  After six games he was shooting over 40% with 41 total attempts in about the same number of minutes that Katin has now.  Katin OTOH has taken 58 shots and only making 25% of them.

I try not to get in Smuggles McHeisy's head, because that is a dark and scary place, but I don't think he is comparing Lockett as a player to Katin as a player. Nor do I think he is comparing their statistics.

What he is comparing is ScoopLand's knee-jerk reaction to Lockett to its current reaction to Katin.

Lockett was quite vilified here on Scoop all the way into the start of the Big East season. By extension, Buzz was vilified because folks couldn't understand why he was giving Lockett so darn many minutes. It was only after much of the season that most Scoopers began to appreciate what Lockett brought to that team.

I have no idea if Katin will be accepted similarly here. I have no idea if he'll start to play the kind of game that will get him accepted. But I do agree with Smuggles that 6 games seems awfully quick to declare that Katin is a failure - just as 6 games (and even 2x that many) was too quick to say the same about Lockett.

I agree with glow and TAMU that Katin didn't do anything wrong last night except miss some open shots. He didn't force shots. He didn't take wild shots. He just missed some wide-open 3s. If this persists, he'll have to stop shooting them, but  he did make a respectable 36% of them last season. His eFG% last year was .477 (it's .336 this year).

These things do tend to even out over time. I mean, I was pretty sure Sam wasn't going to keep hitting 70% of his 3s as he did early on.

I actually have seen a decent amount of hustle from Katin, some nice rebounds, etc. He seems to fit in personality-wise. I'm certainly willing to give him more time - not that it really matters what I think, you think or anybody else here thinks.

Go Marquette!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2016, 02:25:14 PM »
I try not to get in Smuggles McHeisy's head, because that is a dark and scary place, but I don't think he is comparing Lockett as a player to Katin as a player. Nor do I think he is comparing their statistics.

What he is comparing is ScoopLand's knee-jerk reaction to Lockett to its current reaction to Katin.

Lockett was quite vilified here on Scoop all the way into the start of the Big East season. By extension, Buzz was vilified because folks couldn't understand why he was giving Lockett so darn many minutes. It was only after much of the season that most Scoopers began to appreciate what Lockett brought to that team.

I have no idea if Katin will be accepted similarly here. I have no idea if he'll start to play the kind of game that will get him accepted. But I do agree with Smuggles that 6 games seems awfully quick to declare that Katin is a failure - just as 6 games (and even 2x that many) was too quick to say the same about Lockett.

I agree with glow and TAMU that Katin didn't do anything wrong last night except miss some open shots. He didn't force shots. He didn't take wild shots. He just missed some wide-open 3s. If this persists, he'll have to stop shooting them, but  he did make a respectable 36% of them last season. His eFG% last year was .477 (it's .336 this year).

These things do tend to even out over time. I mean, I was pretty sure Sam wasn't going to keep hitting 70% of his 3s as he did early on.

I actually have seen a decent amount of hustle from Katin, some nice rebounds, etc. He seems to fit in personality-wise. I'm certainly willing to give him more time - not that it really matters what I think, you think or anybody else here thinks.

Go Marquette!

My statements were accurate because of what 82 noted, this board was all over Lockett and Carlino early on because this board thought they were both bad.   What Brew and Vinny stats argue is how off-based this reactionary place can be ... and how all the caterwauling about Katin will again look silly in about 2 months.

82 has shown again he really understands me ... I will PM him about my parents affect on me :)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2016, 08:01:00 PM »

My statements were accurate because of what 82 noted, this board was all over Lockett and Carlino early on because this board thought they were both bad.   What Brew and Vinny stats argue is how off-based this reactionary place can be ... and how all the caterwauling about Katin will again look silly in about 2 months.

82 has shown again he really understands me ... I will PM him about my parents affect on me :)

Oh my ... maybe we even complete each other, Smuggles!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2016, 09:37:08 AM »
I've really liked how Duane has been playing the last 2 games

For sure. Most encouraging things were the dunk and the chase-down block on top of the heady, controlled play. That to me says the athleticism we were expecting from him is back, on top of the fact that things have finally clicked after 2 full years of PT (as it does for most players). Really think he will be a crucial player for us this year, and he will likely see his minutes increase as the non-con progresses.

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2016, 05:48:39 PM »
Shifting gears a bit, but Luke's shoulder is a big concern after he apparently aggravated it again tonight. With surgery behind him, the fact it still seems to be quite fragile is scary, particularly given our lack of depth inside. With time Heldt may very well be serviceable, but he does not appear ready to provide anything close to Luke's level of production in the event Luke goes down for a while.

Anyone have any information or insight on the extent of the shoulder problem? I had thought that was largely behind him at this point. It has to be very painful and frustrating for him to keep hurting it, especially since he is playing at a pretty high level right now.

It seems as though his shoulder slips halfway out, and then back in. More of a sublexation. Which is obviously painful. I think its something surgery should have corrected, but must not have. We're in trouble if he actually dislocates it.
It's not about ME,
It's about US.