[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NYC Travel Recommendations  (Read 3740 times)

wadesworld

• All American
NYC Travel Recommendations
« on: November 14, 2016, 11:08:45 PM »
Scoop has never let me down when looking for travel recommendations/suggestions, so I'm back for more.  I'll be heading out to NYC (staying with a cousin in Queens, not too far from Laguardia) getting out there late Tuesday, December 6 and returning Sunday, December 11.  One of the brand presidents where I work is from New York and gave me some pretty solid suggestions today, but wondering if anybody on Scoop has any "must dos," "must sees," or "must eats" in NYC in December as I have not been there since MU last played in an NIT Finals, putting me at 6 years and a few months old.  Thanks in advance for the great advice I know Scoopers will provide.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brandx

Re: NYC Travel Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 11:49:23 PM »
St. Patrick's Cathedral is a must-see if you have never been there

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 12:05:42 AM »
St. Patrick's Cathedral is a must-see if you have never been there

Thank you. The guy who gave me suggestions at work said that is the one place I can't miss. I will make sure to go there.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 07:55:27 AM »
Don't miss Sylvia's Glory Hole down by da Village if yo strikin' out, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 07:58:05 AM »
Central Park, The High Line

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 08:08:42 AM »
Rockefeller Plaza, especially if you are not the Grinch.

As far as food and beverages, I could recommend at least 40 places I've tried in NYC that were all great, but I don't think anyone necessarily stands out versus another.

I would not recommend doing something like The Tonight Show or something like that...I mean it's fun/funny but you can kill almost a whole day just trying to get in and it ain't worth it IMO.

I also think the 9/11 memorial is must see. I went once, will never go again but can't recommend it highly enough. I would not do Rockefeller Plaza after that though, you will be emotionally drained.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 09:24:23 AM »
Saks 5th Avenue does a really cool light projection show on the front of their building for Christmas every year.  It's similar to what arenas do on the court or ice during pre-game.  You can probably find videos of past years on YouTube.  They run it every 15 or 30 minutes after dark, and it's only a few blocks from Rockefeller Center, so you can catch them all together.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 09:40:18 AM »
Some more...
The Campbell Apartment bar in Grand Central Station is fun to visit if you feel like getting a ridiculously expensive drink.
http://gothamist.com/2015/12/10/campbell_apartment_grand_central.php#photo-1

A lot of the parks have holiday markets that are fun to walk through.
Union Square
http://urbanspacenyc.com/union-square-holiday-market/
Bryant Park
http://www.bryantpark.org/things-to-do/wintervillage.html
http://www.wintervillage.org/
Columbus Circle
http://urbanspacenyc.com/columbus-circle-holiday-market/

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 10:37:36 AM »
Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge.

Ludum habemus.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 11:35:49 AM »
If it's been that long, I'd go full-blown tourist. All the major touristy stuff is worth it to some extent, depending on your interests. ESB, Ellis Island, the Met (admission is a suggested donation), MOMA, see a game at MSG, see a Broadway show, wander around Central Park. 9/11 memorial and museum is definitely powerful. Like eng said, don't make big plans for immediately afterward.

It's not hard to take in the Cathedral, Rockefeller Plaza, and Times Square since they're close together. NBC tour is solid if you like TV or any of their classic or current shows, since you'll be right there. You can also go to the top of the Rockefeller Tower to get a view that's basically just as good as ESB.

The only major tourist thing I'd definitely skip is the Statue of Liberty. Instead take the ferry to Ellis Island or Staten Island (free, and you can drink on it) and get your pictures of the Statue from there.

The High Line is cool to stroll along, but I've never been on it in winter, so not sure if it's diminished.

On the smaller side, check out niche museums that likely don't exist anywhere else in the country, like the Museum of Sex and Museum of the Moving Image in Queens. Both are interesting.

For food, probably not what you had in mind, but I stumbled into the best falafel of my life at a place called something like Falafel Shop near Essex and Delancey. Get a massive pastrami or reuben at a deli, then go get another one the next day. Eat a bagel for every breakfast. Buy a hot dog off the street. They also have an awesome pizza place called Sbarro. Michael Scott's favorite authentic NY pizza.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 11:50:05 AM »
Probably too touristy, but I did the NBC studios tour and thought it was really cool. Got to sit on the SNL set (shocked how small it is), Fallon's studio, and as the tour went around, saw some NBC/MSNBC on air talent walking by.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2016, 12:39:35 PM »
On the pizza front, go get a slice from Pizza Suprema, which is a half a block south of MSG on 8th Ave.  Almost as good as that Sbarro stuff mentioned above.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2016, 01:32:09 PM »
I enjoyed Ellis Island. Take the Staten Island Ferry for views of the Statue of Liberty. St. Patricks Cathedral was excellent.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2016, 02:12:09 PM »
I am not sure if it is listed yet but the Tenement Museum is really great (lower east side). 

If you like good food or want to know what is happening at the museums or other cultural places of interest, get "the Scoop" app from the new york times. (note the food options are  on the pricier side but all are good recommendations).

patso

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2016, 03:23:24 PM »
Check out the Cloisters and the views from Fort Tryon Park.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2016, 10:14:43 PM »
The MET was a good recommendation, but even though the admission price is a "donation,", if you decide not to donate expect a lot of terse looks and to appear on their super secret double probation wall of shame.

I used to just love walking around Manhattan, walked everywhere ate at every hole in the wall place I could find.  Favorite restaurant no longer exists, but was a Turkish restaurant where I never saw another english speaking patron.  That's what I loved about NYC, you could walk 1 block and find fabulous food of every demographic you could imagine. 

brandx

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2016, 10:30:22 PM »

I used to just love walking around Manhattan, walked everywhere ate at every hole in the wall place I could find.  Favorite restaurant no longer exists, but was a Turkish restaurant where I never saw another english speaking patron.  That's what I loved about NYC, you could walk 1 block and find fabulous food of every demographic you could imagine.

Completely agree. I always stayed in Midtown Manhattan and walked everywhere, ate everywhere from north of Central Park down to the Village. Anytime day and night.

If I had to do any work on the network or the phones, it had to be done after hours. I would walk to work around 10 at night. Leave around midnight and then wander for a couple hours.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2016, 07:50:56 AM »
Go to the Spotted Pig for some burgers, McSorely's where they only serve light or dark beer, and a favorite spot of mine is the BXL Cafe, a Belgian place that has some some great great beer and solid food.

Babybluejeansfan

• Walk-On
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2016, 08:55:34 AM »
You may want to stay away from 725 5th Ave, a bit heated these days. 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2016, 10:42:48 AM »
Go to the Spotted Pig for some burgers, McSorely's where they only serve light or dark beer, and a favorite spot of mine is the BXL Cafe, a Belgian place that has some some great great beer and solid food.

Yeah...as a rule, I tend to try to avoid places that serve only soup and purees.  I'm a big fan of solid food.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2016, 10:52:56 AM »
One thing to watch out for, if you go to brunch you can't drink before 10AM on a Sunday which just recently changed from Noon on Sunday's. Two years ago was with a group of Wisconsinites and we went for brunch at 11AM and couldn't get bloodies....nearly burned NYC to the ground that day.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2016, 12:22:08 PM »
Hop on the subway & get some gr8 deals on batteries yo
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2016, 03:14:16 PM »
I've been to NYC countless times and done it all but hands down the coolest thing to do in my mind is walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, from Brooklyn to Manhattan of course.

Also, go to the Top of the Rock instead of the top of the Empire State Building. No bars in your way, better view.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2016, 04:11:09 PM »
Also, go to the Top of the Rock instead of the top of the Empire State Building. No bars in your way, better view.

Agree - plus you get a view of the ESB itself, and the view of Central Park is much nicer.

I enjoyed Ellis Island. Take the Staten Island Ferry for views of the Statue of Liberty. St. Patricks Cathedral was excellent.

Also feel like Ellis Island is a must.  Very enjoyable to me.

---

A few less obvious - the Frick is probably the most enjoyable smaller museum I've been to.  It's right near the Met.  If you head to the Museum of Natural History, it's probably worth spending an extra hour to swing up to Columbia; the campus is really amazing.  I think it was mentioned somewhat in jest, but the East Village is cool to spend a casual evening - it has a college town feel, plenty of good, less "upscale" restaurant, and you'll see a few colorful characters. 

For don't bother - don't make a special trip to the Apple Store - you'll get to see the neat exterior and descend into it, and then it's the same thing you see at any mall only four times the size.  Katz's Deli is also overrated, overpriced, and not worth the wait - I've had a better sandwich for 1/3 the price at holes in the wall all over the city.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2016, 04:11:53 PM »
double post

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2016, 07:46:26 PM »
What's the name of the steak joint in NYC that has a signature burger that has the restaurant's logo branded (seared) on the top of the burger? 

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2016, 07:26:04 AM »
Agree - plus you get a view of the ESB itself, and the view of Central Park is much nicer.

Also feel like Ellis Island is a must.  Very enjoyable to me.

---

A few less obvious - the Frick is probably the most enjoyable smaller museum I've been to.  It's right near the Met.  If you head to the Museum of Natural History, it's probably worth spending an extra hour to swing up to Columbia; the campus is really amazing.  I think it was mentioned somewhat in jest, but the East Village is cool to spend a casual evening - it has a college town feel, plenty of good, less "upscale" restaurant, and you'll see a few colorful characters. 

For don't bother - don't make a special trip to the Apple Store - you'll get to see the neat exterior and descend into it, and then it's the same thing you see at any mall only four times the size.  Katz's Deli is also overrated, overpriced, and not worth the wait - I've had a better sandwich for 1/3 the price at holes in the wall all over the city.

Tom's Diner (facade from Seinfeld restaurant) is by Columbia U. at 112th & Broadway.  Two blocks away on 112th & Amsterdam is the Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine which is like the largest church in the world after St. Peter's Basilica.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2016, 09:43:41 AM »
Katz's Deli is also overrated, overpriced, and not worth the wait - I've had a better sandwich for 1/3 the price at holes in the wall all over the city.
I got my worst case of food poisoning ever at Katz's.  Learned a valuable lesson though...  Never order potato salad from a Deli on a Sunday, since it's probably been sitting out in the display case since they made it on Friday.

JoeSmith1721

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2016, 11:17:38 AM »
What's the name of the steak joint in NYC that has a signature burger that has the restaurant's logo branded (seared) on the top of the burger?

Old Homestead?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2016, 12:18:48 PM »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2016, 12:44:39 PM »
Has anyone tried their filet minong burger for $27 or the Kobe burger for $43?

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2016, 08:15:41 PM »
Skip McSorley's...at least for a while
http://nypost.com/2016/11/10/mcsorelys-closes-over-rat-problem/

I recommend the Pony Bar. Great beers, good food with a location in Hell's Kitchen and the Upper East Side. Also, catch a stand up show at the Comedy Cellar. It can be hit or miss, but you can also see a legend drop by unannounced to work out new material.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2016, 10:05:16 AM »
Make an advanced reservation for Raouls at  180 prince street in the Village would be a very good experience. French Bistro food. The Steak Au Poivre is excellent. The Burgers are fantastic. 212-966-3518.

They have a tarot card reader and maybe you could get her to see the future of MU basketball.

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2016, 10:22:41 AM »
Here's some off the head recommendations

*Definitely agree with seeing St. Patrick's
*I've heard Ellis Island is great
*Don't go to the statue of liberty (instead, take the Staten Island ferry, which is free and sails right past it.  You can get great pics of it from the Ferry)
*Katz's is overrated, IMO, and overpriced in the opinion of pretty much everyone
*Junior's cheesecake is worth checking out if you're in Brooklyn
*If you're a Ghostbusters fan (loved the movie as a kid), they have tours of the iconic spots from the movie: http://www.freetoursbyfoot.com/find-the-ghostbusters-firehouse/

PorkysButthole

• Starter
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2016, 09:04:48 PM »
The new Whitney Museum downtown is great.   In heart of meatpacking district right near the highline.  The bar at the Nomad hotel is great, particularly on Thursday night.  Keens Chophouse is great old school NYC steakhouse with tons of character. 

feedback