[Today at 12:54:01 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:00:22 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Transfers?  (Read 6445 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Transfers?
« on: December 31, 2007, 09:26:52 AM »
Little help .. I want a wiki page to list the transfers in and out of MU.  I'm going to do a quick dump .. please add to the list, especially from years ago.

IN:
Dan Fitz
Trend Blackledge
Robert Jackson
Marcus Jackson
Mo Acker
Mike Kinsella
Jamil Lott
Brian Barone
Abel Joseph??

Out:
Karon Bradley
Niv Berkowitz
Matt Mortensen
Ryan Amoroso
Dameon Mason
Carlton Christian
James Matthews
Brandon Bell
Odartey Blankson
Kevin Menard
Ron Howard
Krunti Hester

I get pretty foggy after 1999, who was a 4 year guy, who came in later.  Of course, peruse the rosters on the wiki for ideas.

http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/1999
http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/1998
http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/1997
http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/1997
http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/1995
http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/1994
http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/1993
http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/1992
http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/1991
http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/1990
http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/1989

etc

« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 12:14:14 PM by mu_hilltopper »

PuertoRicanNightmare

Re: Transfers?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 09:46:25 AM »
I guess they're still considered "transfers" but are players coming in from two year schools (Blackledge, M. Jackson, Lott) considered true "transfers?"

I thought Abel Joseph was a four year guy.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 10:02:27 AM »
Yup, I call juco guys transfers.  Anyone who didn't play 4 years.

Good question about Abel ..
http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/abel_joseph

It's odd, it says "Dawson College" .. and he red-shirted a year .. but .. that was his 3rd year at MU.  Medical red-shirt?  If so, couldn't he have played a 4th year?

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 10:13:18 AM »
Anyone who didn't play 4 years.

So Wade transfered since he didn't play four years?
But I like to throw handfuls...

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 10:13:56 AM »
Players coming in from JUCO's aren't transfers.  If you are coming from a 4-year program, that is considered a transfer, ala Dan Fitzgerald.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 10:24:02 AM »
oh, Moses smell the roses.   Fine.  Let's not call it a transfer page.  Let's call it a page of "guys who, after their senior year in high school, didn't play for MU, but eventually did" and "guys who left MU for another school not including the school of the NBA"

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 10:25:30 AM »
I agree on the JUCO issue. There's a difference between a Fitzgerald and Acker and a Blackledge and Lott. In fact, when talking about them announcers always qualify it as a "transfer" or a "Junior College transfer".

Also, you should have a dismissal section under the transfers out as it would comprise half the list.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 10:29:07 AM »
oh, Moses smell the roses.   Fine.  Let's not call it a transfer page.  Let's call it a page of "guys who, after their senior year in high school, didn't play for MU, but eventually did" and "guys who left MU for another school not including the school of the NBA"

Only reason I brought it up was because Niv never went on to play college basketball but rather professional ball back in Israel.
But I like to throw handfuls...

chapman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 11:56:00 AM »
I think situations like Berkowitz might make it necessary to include some explanations rather than just lists.

You also can add Matt Mortensen.  Dismissed from the team after his redshirt freshmen year; I don't know if he transferred anywhere but I'm fairly positive he didn't play D1 ball.  Plus the stories at the time of his dismissal said he had made himself ineligible...
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 11:58:24 AM by chapman »

Schoolyard

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 12:57:36 PM »
Abel was a 4 year player (technically 5 year).  He came in with Pieper, Crawford (Chris not Bob) Faisal & Shane "Kenyon" Littles and redshirted a year (not his freshman year I believe) and then graduated with Hutch & Dick Shaw (should have also graduated with Zac "Warp Speed" McCall but his career went up in smoke).

My handle is Schoolyard but I do my best work at Finley Dunnes...Joe Kenny in '08

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 01:03:31 PM »
Joseph was not a transfer. He came here out of high school from Canada. his brother just transferred out of Michigan St.

I would define a transfer out as someone who went to another school.

Wade would not be a transfer.
Berkowitz would not be a transfer since he went back to Israel.
Mortenson would not be a transfer since he is ineligible to play anywhere.

Perhaps you want to divide the transfers into two types. Those from junior colleges and thsoe from 4 year schools.

Craig Aamot-transfer out
Ryan Amoroso-transfer out
Jim Bailey-transfer out
Tyrone Baldwin JC transfer in
Odell Ball JC transfer in
Brain Barone-transfer in
Brandon Bell-transfer out
Niv Berkowitz-quit
Bob Black-left to get married and Jim Sewell replaced him in starting line up
Odarty Blankson-transfer out
David Boone-transfer in
Jim Boylan-transfer in
Karone Bradley-transfer out
Charles Brakes-transfer out
Sean Brannon 1982 does not ring a bell with me-maybe a walkon
Gary Brell-transfer in problably a JC
Gene Bromstead 1969 ?
John Bryant -transfer out
James Burke-transfer in

This is just the A's 7 B's from the Marquette letter winners in the media guide that I would have seen play.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2007, 01:15:12 PM »
How about Keith Stewart, who fits in both the transfer in and the transfer out category?  He came in from Purdue, sat out a year, played 9 games and then was kicked off the team by KO.  Transferred to St. Mary's of Texas(D2) and then from there transferred to UC-Irvine.

A couple more:  Ron Curry, in from Arizona.  Jay Zulauf(sp?) in from Bowling Green.  Jeff Zavada, out to UWGB.  Alton Mason, academically ineligible before the actual games started and out to Barton JC, ended up at Arizona State.  DeMarcus Minor, out to Baylor.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 01:29:57 PM by bma725 »

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2007, 01:27:49 PM »
I'll chip in with a C and a few Ds.
Ric Cobb came in from Ranger Texas Juco. Ed Daniels wanted no part of Bobby Knight and transfered in from Indiana in 1972, Walter Downing from DePaul in 1984, and I think Jim Dudley came from Michigan State.  Wasn't Mike Davis a juco guy from California for Majerus?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 01:31:18 PM by oldwarrior81 »

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2007, 01:33:44 PM »
Abel was a 4-year player for MU.  Technically, Dawson is not a college, but rather the Canadian equivalent of a US Prep school.

He was initially recruited for MU to start the year he attended Dawson, but was an academic non qualifier--not because he was a bad student but because he spoke French but was tested in English language standardized tests.

I would agree that Berkowitz and Mortensen were not transfers.

Obvious difference in ability aside, Berkowitz was just like Wade--he left school for a pro league.   The difference is that Niv left mid-season.  And please, spare all comments that I said Berkowitz was as good as Wade.  I'm just pointing out the fact that both are similar in that they left MU for pro leagues.

Mortensen didn't transfer--he made himself ineligible.  

Don't know what you want to do about walk-ons.  Andy Freund was a walk on and transferred out.  I think Jerry Sichting transferred in.

Other transfers include:  Alton Mason, Shannon Smith, John Ellenson, Jeff Zavada, Charles Brakes, Craig Aamot, Keith Stewart, Anthony Candelino, Gerald Posey, John Jimmerson, Ken Rice.

Then there are the guys who apparently left basketball before their eligibility was up--Joe Kryszak (medical), Zack McCall, Joe Nethen, John Leurck, Charles Luter.

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2007, 01:42:09 PM »
I'd say there must be at least 100 players that fall into the transfer in/out or juco.

How about Bob Lackey who I believe attended Casper Wyoming Juco or one of my all-time favorites, Lloyd Moore who ate his way to Rutgers.  Dukiet had his top recruit, Gerald Posey, leave mid-season for Trenton State.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 01:45:52 PM by oldwarrior81 »

bma725

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2007, 01:49:49 PM »
Some more:

Ron Dibelius played 1958 - Transferred to UW-Oshkosh to play baseball.
John Ellenson - Transferred to UW in 1988.
Mike Flory - Transferred in from Ellsworth JC in 1986, originally went to Colorado.
Dwayne "DJ" Johnson - Transferred to UW-Whitewater after 1984 season.
Vic Lazzaretti - Transferred to Loyola Marymount after 1984 season.
Shannon Smith - Transferred to UWM after the 1993 season.

Terry Reason - dismissed from the team by Majerus, not sure where he ended up.

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2007, 03:28:45 PM »
didnt marcus West transfer in?

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2007, 03:43:51 PM »
didnt marcus West transfer in?

Yes, Marcus West did transfer from Northeastern Illinois.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2007, 04:50:56 PM »
wow, you guys are amazing with these memories and/or research. 

bma725

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2007, 05:11:48 PM »
Should the failed transfer of Marshall Williams be counted? 

He was a top 35 recruit from Milwaukee, who chose NC State over MU coming out of Vincent.  After his freshman year he announced he was coming to MU, there was a scholarship extended, and I think he even ended up going to summer school at MU.  But his freshman had ended with a knee injury so after the summer he decided to go to Vincennes JC.  Crean was less than happy because Williams needed to work on academics, and revoked the scholarship offer.  Williams ended up transferring from the JUCO to UWGB but he left the team before playing and ended up going to Georgetown College in Kentucky where he a NAIA All American. 

http://gomarquette.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/051900aaa.html

sigep80

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2007, 05:32:12 PM »
Jim Boylan transferred to MU form Div 2 Assumption College.

MU_83_florida

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2007, 06:49:02 PM »
Sam Worthen transferred in in 1980

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2007, 08:01:52 PM »
Worthen came in with fellow juco Artie Green.  Brian Nyenhuis (Ootsburg) also was a transfer in from UWM around that same time.

Kevin Johnson, Robert Hall started at guard in the mid 80's both came in for their final couple seasons.  And Benny Moore also came in for a couple seasons during that same time.

jage

• Walk-On
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2008, 10:41:12 AM »
could you guys imagine what that final four team would've been like if ODB (odarty blankson) hadn't transferred!? whooowee! ...i'm a dreamer, what can i say.
You know what pressure is? It's when the cheerleaders are jumping and you don't notice their breasts. - Al McGuire

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2008, 10:48:53 AM »
Would someone please tell me, as generally and non-accusatorilly as possible, just exactly what happened with Mortensen? The whole situation was always clouded in mystery and I'm curious as to what the story was.
We Are Marquette

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2008, 10:56:18 AM »
Would someone please tell me, as generally and non-accusatorilly as possible, just exactly what happened with Mortensen? The whole situation was always clouded in mystery and I'm curious as to what the story was.

I don't think anybody knows, but there seems to be an inordinate number of posters who like to speculate and then include an  ;) emoticon. Same thing with Amoroso.

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2008, 12:11:09 PM »
could you guys imagine what that final four team would've been like if ODB (odarty blankson) hadn't transferred!? whooowee! ...i'm a dreamer, what can i say.

We would have made the final 4 and then lost to Kansas 86 - 72 vs, 94 -61

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2008, 12:36:52 PM »

I don't think anybody knows, but there seems to be an inordinate number of posters who like to speculate and then include an  ;) emoticon. Same thing with Amoroso.

That's my point. If someone knows what was alleged, just say so. There's nothing wrong with saying what the "allegations" were, its only improper to state something as fact when there is no support to it. So it would be totally appropriate for someone to share what the allegations or rumors were about Mortensen?
We Are Marquette

bma725

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2008, 12:50:35 PM »

That's my point. If someone knows what was alleged, just say so. There's nothing wrong with saying what the "allegations" were, its only improper to state something as fact when there is no support to it. So it would be totally appropriate for someone to share what the allegations or rumors were about Mortensen?

The only things that can get you banned by the NCAA in the way Mortensen was are performance enhancing drugs and gambling on games in which your team played....and the rumors were that Mortensen was involved with both. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2008, 01:32:53 PM »

The only things that can get you banned by the NCAA in the way Mortensen was are performance enhancing drugs and gambling on games in which your team played....and the rumors were that Mortensen was involved with both. 

A student-athlete can be banned for betting on just about any sporting contest, not just those involving his own team. The NCAA prohibits athletes from gambling on any sporting event, pro or college, in which there is a corresponding NCAA sport, including the NCAA Tournament (i.e. bracket contests are a no-no). Playing the ponies is OK, it seems.
The punishment is loss of at least one-year eligibility for a first-time offense and a permanent loss of eligibility for a second offense.

It's possible that the reason no one's heard from Mortensen since is that he went on his two-year Mormon mission after getting bounced from Marquette.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2008, 01:48:48 PM »
well that would explain how he had an upperclassmen's physique as a freshman.  Ammo went out for the same reasons I believe. He was at home over one winter break because of gambling, I know that.

feedback