Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Three Questions For Marquette vs Vandy Game  (Read 6008 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Three Questions For Marquette vs Vandy Game
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2016, 01:31:48 PM »
Vandy is going to be a little more up tempo under Drew than they were under Stallings.  I think that might fit their personnel better.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2016, 02:04:19 PM »
I watched as many Vandy games as I did MU last year because of LaChance. While their team had the potential to be great last year, Wade Baldwin just dominated the ball and really took the "team" out of them. A team with two NBA first round draft picks should have been much better than a play-in game NCAA team. No one was hurt more by Balwin's style of play than Riley Lachance. Plus, he was sick/run down most of the year

Matthew Fischer Davis is their Cheatham -- good two-way player. And Kornet may be 7' 1" but he loves to run the floor and shoot the 3. He had zero offers at the end of his senior year -- not even mid-majors. He  played AAU after his senior season and took off - he's now 3 inches taller than arriving at Vandy. He will be an NBA player. Certainly doesn't grind underneath like a typical center, but MU has to put a body on him. They are not big, but they have a Marcus Jackson type player in Roberson who can shoot it too. Lachance and Cam Justice can both shoot lights out if given space.

They have a freshman point guard coming in who supposed to be real good. Getting Kornet in foul trouble would be a good start. He takes centers out of the lane, so not sure if we would want our big guys out there with him. They have a huge redshirt freshman who I have only heard about from Haiti -- will be interesting to see if he plays at same time as Kornet.

Two of my favorite teams, can't wait. Go MU.
Do You think LaChance will revert to this freshman year form?
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2016, 02:18:06 PM »
I disagree on Sam's adjustment period.  Guys like Sam and LaChance who come out of high school highly touted not because of their ability to dominate high school/AAU ball athletically (see guys like Tokoto and Jamil Wilson), but rather their ability to dominate based on decision making and fundamentals, have a much easier time adjusting to the college game but may have a lower ceiling than the freak athletes out there.  The good thing for Sam is that he is a sneaky good athlete on top of it (see his in bound ally oop dunk in the WIAA State Championship this year while going through shin splints for an example).  You saw LaChance come into Vandy his freshman season and make an immediate impact.  I think Sam is just a 6 inch taller version of LaChance.  Heady, smart, will make the right play, and really fundamentally sound.  When you can shoot it like Sam and aren't a complete liability in every other facet, you'll find time on the court, especially when you're really the only guy on the team who can even remotely play as any kind (stretch or traditional) of 4.

The funny thing is if you look at Vandy fan boards, they have no faith in LaChance. Had a season long slump last year. But I agree with Freeport as to the reason why.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2016, 02:21:10 PM »
I watched as many Vandy games as I did MU last year because of LaChance. While their team had the potential to be great last year, Wade Baldwin just dominated the ball and really took the "team" out of them. A team with two NBA first round draft picks should have been much better than a play-in game NCAA team. No one was hurt more by Balwin's style of play than Riley Lachance. Plus, he was sick/run down most of the year

Matthew Fischer Davis is their Cheatham -- good two-way player. And Kornet may be 7' 1" but he loves to run the floor and shoot the 3. He had zero offers at the end of his senior year -- not even mid-majors. He  played AAU after his senior season and took off - he's now 3 inches taller than arriving at Vandy. He will be an NBA player. Certainly doesn't grind underneath like a typical center, but MU has to put a body on him. They are not big, but they have a Marcus Jackson type player in Roberson who can shoot it too. Lachance and Cam Justice can both shoot lights out if given space.

They have a freshman point guard coming in who supposed to be real good. Getting Kornet in foul trouble would be a good start. He takes centers out of the lane, so not sure if we would want our big guys out there with him. They have a huge redshirt freshman who I have only heard about from Haiti -- will be interesting to see if he plays at same time as Kornet.

Appreciate the insight as always Freeport. I'm curious why you compared Fisher-Davis to Cheatham. Their games seem completely different to me. Cheatham is an athletic slasher with superior speed and body control. Fisher-Davis is more of a "1 tool slugger" who sits beyond the arc and buries threes at a high clip. He only made 23 two point FGs all of last season. Cheatham could had that many in 4-5 games.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2016, 03:12:10 PM »
Appreciate the insight as always Freeport. I'm curious why you compared Fisher-Davis to Cheatham. Their games seem completely different to me. Cheatham is an athletic slasher with superior speed and body control. Fisher-Davis is more of a "1 tool slugger" who sits beyond the arc and buries threes at a high clip. He only made 23 two point FGs all of last season. Cheatham could had that many in 4-5 games.
Size and scoring ability mostly (I watched just as many games the previous year). If you watched the other guards their freshman year vs. soph you saw much more complete players. Baldwin just dominated the ball and was always chucking and driving last year. Very wild. Just no governor at all -- and Stallings did nothing to stop him from playing like that. He was moderately successful, but to the detriment of the team. Lachance and FD were relegated to far less touches, drives, etc. Baldwin was hesitant his freshman year and they all grew together and looked much better. It was almost like Lachance had mono last year, just totally run down. He looks much better now. Having a young point guard who is a good passer should help everyone on the team. If Damian Jones were still there, this could be a really good team.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2016, 04:06:03 PM »

So which team will win in your unbiased opinion and why? I don't mean to put you on the spot, NOT.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2016, 08:53:38 AM »

I go to the same gym as Marcus Jackson he is there with his kids all the time repping all marquette gear

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2016, 09:57:37 AM »
I go to the same gym as Marcus Jackson he is there with his kids all the time repping all marquette gear
I know Marcus pretty well and I would say he is easily one of the nicest guys -- let alone ex-athletes -- I have ever known. He is just so humble and positive. He coaches AAU and stays in touch with all of his kids throughout the year -- he's an amazing mentor and would do anything for his players. A great alum who embodies the best of MU IMO. His little guy is still pretty young, but he will definitely be a baller because he is always in the gym.

Interesting factoid -- there is some guy I can't place who was also D1, but Marcus' high school team in Peoria also had Shawn Livington from the Golden State Warriors.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2016, 10:50:45 AM »
I know Marcus pretty well and I would say he is easily one of the nicest guys -- let alone ex-athletes -- I have ever known. He is just so humble and positive. He coaches AAU and stays in touch with all of his kids throughout the year -- he's an amazing mentor and would do anything for his players. A great alum who embodies the best of MU IMO. His little guy is still pretty young, but he will definitely be a baller because he is always in the gym.

Interesting factoid -- there is some guy I can't place who was also D1, but Marcus' high school team in Peoria also had Shawn Livington from the Golden State Warriors.

Marcus Jackson coaches some AAU?  Cool.  Does Robert Jackson do any coaching?  I feel like I've seen him in some high school gyms throughout the years.  Does anybody know how in touch with the MU program Robert is?  I always see him sitting right along the baseline next to the MU bench and think I saw him in those seats at the exhibition game Saturday.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2016, 11:09:50 AM »
Marcus Jackson coaches some AAU?  Cool.  Does Robert Jackson do any coaching?  I feel like I've seen him in some high school gyms throughout the years.  Does anybody know how in touch with the MU program Robert is?  I always see him sitting right along the baseline next to the MU bench and think I saw him in those seats at the exhibition game Saturday.
Hope it doesn't come across a name-dropping, but I know Rob pretty well too. Rob runs the Boys & Girls Club by the Bradley Center. Marcus used to work with him there. Devin Harris donates to the club, and provides some support for the AAU team - Devin Harris Superstars, which Rob heads up. Marcus coaches 16s, maybe moving to 17s. Rob usually oversees 17s and has a couple of his own young kids coming up in the lower grades. Wojo has really embraced the former players and treats them well. Duane's dad, Ike, runs practices in Rob's gym occasionally for Playground Elite, so a lot of the MU guys play there in off-season. I believe Ike is affiliated with a B&G Club as well, at least he used to be. Rob can shoot lights out from 3, but has a bum knee. Marcus is a workout beast and still can play. Ike can play some too. It's funny to watch the pickup games, old guys playing with young guns. McKay still comes back and plays.

Those seats are for former players. Rob seems to be there all of the time. Rob is super tight with DWade. Wade treats him very well. Marcus is tight with Karon Bradley, Chapman, Merritt, Deiner and Novak. He loved playing in the alum thing this summer.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2016, 02:23:14 PM »
Hope it doesn't come across a name-dropping, but I know Rob pretty well too. Rob runs the Boys & Girls Club by the Bradley Center. Marcus used to work with him there. Devin Harris donates to the club, and provides some support for the AAU team - Devin Harris Superstars, which Rob heads up. Marcus coaches 16s, maybe moving to 17s. Rob usually oversees 17s and has a couple of his own young kids coming up in the lower grades. Wojo has really embraced the former players and treats them well. Duane's dad, Ike, runs practices in Rob's gym occasionally for Playground Elite, so a lot of the MU guys play there in off-season. I believe Ike is affiliated with a B&G Club as well, at least he used to be. Rob can shoot lights out from 3, but has a bum knee. Marcus is a workout beast and still can play. Ike can play some too. It's funny to watch the pickup games, old guys playing with young guns. McKay still comes back and plays.

Those seats are for former players. Rob seems to be there all of the time. Rob is super tight with DWade. Wade treats him very well. Marcus is tight with Karon Bradley, Chapman, Merritt, Deiner and Novak. He loved playing in the alum thing this summer.
Playground elite is one of the top teams in the state same with Devin Harris team

feedback