Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Let's talk about the lineup...  (Read 3730 times)

fjm

• All American
Let's talk about the lineup...
« on: November 06, 2016, 10:29:52 AM »
I'm sure there is a thread somewhere that I should put this into but I couldn't find it fast enough. I apologize.

Let's talk about rockhurst:
Howard started the game.
Could this be / do you smarter than
I basketball guys see this as a good plan?

Our starting line up has experience and leaders (cheat, Katin, JJJ and fish). Would it be beneficial to start Howard with them and have TC come in with the second group that has less leadership?

It could work right? I mean offset the experience and leadership a bit?

Instead of having a 100% experience starting line up and a second line come in that is 60% experience. You off set it by making them both 80%...

(Disclaimer: I'm probably over thinking this and those are also guesstimation numbers based on the lineups)

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: Let's talk about the lineup...
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 10:45:15 AM »
Markus 2 NBA
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 10:48:09 AM »
I don't believe that will be the starting line up. I also believe the starting lineup will not be the line up at the end of a clutch game.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 10:56:20 AM »
I think it's the starting lineup. You play Howard/Reinhardt together. Two shooters to space the floor for JJ and HC (who can both still knock down shots).

Then bring TC off the bench and play him with Hauser/Rowsey. TC isn't as good of a shooters as Howard but with the other shooters on the floor the floor will stay spaced.

But we have a lot of guys who can shoot from deep so the spacing/driving lanes should be there.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 11:52:41 AM »
I think it's the starting lineup. You play Howard/Reinhardt together. Two shooters to space the floor for JJ and HC (who can both still knock down shots).

Then bring TC off the bench and play him with Hauser/Rowsey. TC isn't as good of a shooters as Howard but with the other shooters on the floor the floor will stay spaced.

But we have a lot of guys who can shoot from deep so the spacing/driving lanes should be there.

I agree with this, it just plays better that way. Spread the experience, leadership and shooting ability a bit.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 12:04:27 PM »
Luke 8:17

"For there is nothing hidden that will not be disclosed, and nothing concealed that will not be known or brought out into the open."

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2016, 01:31:22 PM »
Reinhardt honestly didn't impress me against rockhurst

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2016, 01:38:51 PM »
I've never felt a starting lineup was less meaningful than it is with this team. It only took a few minutes for all 11 scholarship players to get into the game. I think everyone will get opportunities and regardless who starts, Wojo will be able to ride the hot hand at five positions. I like letting the seniors start and feel that the unit we saw complimented each other well. That said, I think the most important five will be the last five, not the first, and expect that to change fairly regularly depending on matchups.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2016, 01:51:00 PM »
JJ and Luke will be starting for sure

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2016, 02:06:17 PM »
Markus definitely seems like the real deal. If he is ready to start this season, very good things will happen for us over the next four years.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2016, 02:22:01 PM »
Agree wth. It's. was at Rickhurst game - clear that this line up will be fluid with needed pieces inserted when necessary or optimal.   Lots of good moving pieces

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2016, 02:26:16 PM »
It would not surprise me to see a differant starting line up against Vanderbilt. However, I think Wojo really likes Howard and a player would have to be noticeably better for Howard not to start. The change I would make is replacing Reinhardt with either Wilson or Hauser. They both had 6 rebounds to Reinhardts' zero. Send Reinhardt a mesage that, if he wants to start, he needs to rebound.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2016, 02:31:06 PM »
It would not surprise me to see a differant starting line up against Vanderbilt. However, I think Wojo really likes Howard and a player would have to be noticeably better for Howard not to start. The change I would make is replacing Reinhardt with either Wilson or Hauser. They both had 6 rebounds to Reinhardts' zero. Send Reinhardt a mesage that, if he wants to start, he needs to rebound.
would not surprise me to see Carter start over Howard.  Markus had trouble saying with his man all game on Saturday.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2016, 02:33:45 PM »
Markus definitely seems like the real deal. If he is ready to start this season, very good things will happen for us over the next four years.

If he starts the entire year, I don't think he will be at MU for 4 years. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2016, 02:47:27 PM »
If he starts the entire year, I don't think he will be at MU for 4 years.
I think his size will hold him back. You have to be at another level to make the association at under 6 foot.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2016, 02:49:35 PM »
I think his size will hold him back. You have to be at another level to make the association at under 6 foot.

Guys only 17 so could still hit the 6ft mark also if I remember correctly he was on an all American track had he stayed in school another year, could very well be at another level next year
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2016, 03:04:54 PM »
Send Reinhardt a mesage that, if he wants to start, he needs to rebound.

Reinhardt hasn't rebounded in his first three collegiate years, I don't think the staff had any expectation of him being a rebounder. He's here for his offensive and defensive ability. If he gets some boards, great, but that's not why he's here and they know that.

Agreed. Even if he does grow an inch or two, he'll still be pretty slight. On the upside, we'll get at least two years out of him as Howard wouldn't be eligible for the draft even if he put up 35 and 10. He's too young.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2016, 03:38:27 PM »
It was only an exhibition game, so you cannot make too much out of the statistics in this game. However, each of the other 10 scholarship players had at least two rebounds. 6 players outscored Reinhardt. I am not sure his scoring is that important as we have plenty of offensive options.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2016, 04:03:01 PM »
It was only an exhibition game, so you cannot make too much out of the statistics in this game. However, each of the other 10 scholarship players had at least two rebounds. 6 players outscored Reinhardt. I am not sure his scoring is that important as we have plenty of offensive options.

We do, but he's also known for being able to play defense. I think that's what will get him on the floor, even if he isn't much of a rebounder.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2016, 04:44:17 PM »

Coaching staff apparently disagrees with your analysis.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2016, 05:35:25 PM »
The starting line up doesn't matter for this team.   There are going to be lots of players playing double digit minutes.  Hot hands, hustle and defense will be rewarded.  Far more important is who the five on the floor will be with 3 minutes to go in a tight game.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2016, 05:36:39 PM »
Goal is National Championship

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2016, 10:44:22 AM »
Coaching staff apparently disagrees with your analysis.
Again it is only an exhibition, so you cannot make much out of minutes played.
Reinhardt started and play 17 minutes.
Wilson led the team with 22 minutes.
Sam was second with 21 minutes.
Therefore it is not a given that that the coaches disagree with my analysis.
We will see how things shake out against Vanderbilt, when things actually matter.
All my original post indicated was that Reinhardt needs to also rebound. I believe every one here believes MU needs to be able to team rebound to be successful and if that is the case is it acceptable for a player to have zero rebounds in 17 minutes? Hopefully, Reinhardt chips in with 3 or 4 rebounds against Vandy. You will know where I stand, if he has zero rebounds in that game.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2016, 10:57:20 AM »
How many games will Howard start before the "Traci to transfer???" thread is started? I put the O/U at 3.5

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2016, 10:58:08 AM »
How many games will Howard start before the "Traci to transfer???" thread is started? I put the O/U at 3.5
Traci is like a Derrick Wilson but better