'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: UW defeats Texas  (Read 4700 times)

Amal_00

• Walk-On
UW defeats Texas
« on: December 29, 2007, 01:13:05 PM »
UW defeats #9 Texas on their home court.  Should help our power rankings!

muarmy81

• All American
Re: UW defeats Texas
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 01:50:06 PM »
And it should allow us to move up in the polls.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 02:07:38 PM »
And still, it's disappointing. 

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 02:20:28 PM »
It shouldn't be disappointing because Wisconsin's win is a big RPI boost for Marquette and should allow us to move up in the polls, both of which are very good things for the program.  Hate Bucky, but they helped us out this afternoon with that win.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 02:29:11 PM »

I would not expect to see MU move up at all.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 02:33:25 PM »

Texas with two losses to MSU and UW will easily drop out of the Top 10. They'll be lucky to stay in the Top 15.

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 02:36:13 PM »
I agree they lost to unranked madison in texas. There is no way they stay top ten

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 02:38:33 PM »
The biggest way it helps us is through the RPI.
SS Marquette

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 02:39:33 PM »
Texas is incredibly overrated. Badgers played very well. Hate to root for Bucky, but this will help us in the long run.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2007, 02:52:44 PM »
For all the talk about how this win helps us in the RPI, UW's win over Texas has roughly the same impact at IPFW's win over North Florida.

Yes, there's a bit of an impact in the fact that Texas is better than North Florida, but we get that regardless of the outcomes against UW and IPFW.

More than just the RPI impact, UW's win helps to offset all the subjective arguments that Wisconsin isn't very good this year (implying our win wasn't that impressive).  The stronger UW finishes, the better our win over them looks. 

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2007, 02:55:51 PM »
For all the talk about how this win helps us in the RPI, UW's win over Texas has roughly the same impact at IPFW's win over North Florida.

Yes, there's a bit of an impact in the fact that Texas is better than North Florida, but we get that regardless of the outcomes against UW and IPFW.

More than just the RPI impact, UW's win helps to offset all the subjective arguments that Wisconsin isn't very good this year (implying our win wasn't that impressive).  The stronger UW finishes, the better our win over them looks. 

agreed
SS Marquette

farmdaddy

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2007, 03:00:27 PM »
Never thought I would be happy for a Madison victory!

chapman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2007, 03:09:08 PM »
I wouldn't want them to win if it won me $500, much less gave us a miniscule RPI boost.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2007, 03:14:18 PM »

I don't know how good North Florida is but I thought the RPI is based on your number of wins and your opponents number of wins or something to that affect.  I know Texas is a good team so they will boost the Rodents RPI and thus ours.  Again I don't know how good North Florida is but I don't think they are as good as Texas so IPFW's RPI would not improve as much.  They both have positive affects but I don't think they are equal to each other.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2007, 03:16:02 PM »
If I had 3 wishes, one of them would be that no UW team (any sport) would ever win any game for the rest of time.

.. Hmm .. so wasn't there a story about MU being linked to a request by Texas for a Home & home, which we denied because they wanted to start the series at UT?   Did UW take that deal?

Schoolyard

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2007, 03:45:00 PM »

Exactly, we don't need our only non conf win of any significance being one to a NIT team
My handle is Schoolyard but I do my best work at Finley Dunnes...Joe Kenny in '08

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2007, 05:47:22 PM »
I wouldn't want them to win if it won me $500, much less gave us a miniscule RPI boost.

As long as it wasn't marquette they were playing, i'd be ok w/ them winning if it won me $500...but that's only because i'm a poor college student and 500 bucks would definitely help ;D

NateDoggMarq

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2007, 06:19:53 PM »
If I had 3 wishes, one of them would be that no UW team (any sport) would ever win any game for the rest of time.

.. Hmm .. so wasn't there a story about MU being linked to a request by Texas for a Home & home, which we denied because they wanted to start the series at UT?   Did UW take that deal?

I think you and I must go to the same genie!!

I am pretty sure that Wisconsin took the deal that Marquette was offered and it looked like it paid out in spades!!!

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2007, 06:47:54 PM »
Can't say I disagree .. IIRC, we turned it down because our OOC slate was already "too tough" with Maui and UW on the road.   Imagine a fat Texas road W on our resume .. esp now that UW isn't ranked (although they could be next week) ..

bma725

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2007, 07:53:24 PM »
Can't say I disagree .. IIRC, we turned it down because our OOC slate was already "too tough" with Maui and UW on the road.   Imagine a fat Texas road W on our resume .. esp now that UW isn't ranked (although they could be next week) ..

MU looked at Texas after Alabama backed out on the original plan to come to Milwaukee this year and then have MU go to Alabama next year.  At the time, Alabama was thought to be just as good as Texas, they were going to have a healthy Ronald Steele, they were supposed to be back to being the team that MU faced in the NCAA two years ago.  Texas had lost Durant who was basically their whole team and no one thought they would be as good as they have been.  But at the last minute Alabama changed their mind and backed out of the deal.

That's when Texas came into the picture, with MU needing to fill a home game for this year and willing to go on the road next year.  Texas was not willing to switch things around and they wanted the home game this year.  MU wouldn't budge and the deal was off.  How tough the game may have been to win had nothing to do with it. 

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2007, 08:38:15 PM »
This win keeps MU's win over UW as a quality win. Right now it is the only quality win we have. It allows us to get an NCAA big by going 10-8 in the conference. UW loses we may have had to go 11-7.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2007, 09:23:17 PM »
interestingly enough, the grinch may now realize that UW is better starting flowers and bohannan, using hughes sparingly.  (your 1 should never be your leading scorer).  more interesting, I listened to the game on way to MU's scrimmage w/ savannah st, and could hear the fans booing louder w/ every flop- krabbenhoft is going to wear his uniforms out on the back.  remember when the refs would call a 't' on the flopper?  I wish they'd go back to that.

Chapman, I, too, would much rather the baaaajrs loose them all.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2007, 11:22:37 AM »
If the refs started calling Ts on flops, UW would go 15-12 every year.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2007, 01:23:07 PM »

Are you kidding?  The #6 and #9 teams lost to unranked opponents and you don't think the #12 team will move up?  I think we'll be #10 in the AP and 10 or 11 in the Coach's poll.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2007, 01:26:59 PM »
Texas is incredibly overrated. Badgers played very well. Hate to root for Bucky, but this will help us in the long run.

Texas beat UCLA at UCLA.  They defeated Tennessee and lost to MSU by 6 AT MSU, I think they're a strong team and this win is a good win for bucky and us.

chefrad

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2007, 05:49:43 PM »

It is all pretty marginal compared with BE league play. Then it'll be up and down all year-- one hopes more ups than downs.

So far so good, but it is EARLY.