'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Transfer Sitouts May be Coming to an End  (Read 17360 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: Transfer Sitouts May be Coming to an End
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2016, 03:21:45 PM »
And what about when the coach over-recruits at a position and tells a kid to take a hike? How is the commitment working out then?
Clearly that is the unseemly underside of the business of college sports. The only offset is if a coach gets a reputation for that, the word gets out. Wojo , in my opinion , has skirted on the edges of this issue , and will need to modify his approach soon.

I am not advocating for the one year sit rule. Just pointing out there is some( not complete) equity in it.

The real solution is to go to four year scholarships. That way the kid still gets the guaranteed full ride even if he has to go to a different school to actually play.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2016, 03:32:37 PM »

UConn isn't a blue blood?

No.
In the 30 years before hiring Calhoun, they'd made a whopping three NCAA appearances and one Sweet 16.
Perhaps we just have different definitions of blue blood, but mine requires sustained success beyond one coaching tenure.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2016, 03:36:57 PM »
Easy solution. When the scholarship is up, the student athlete can either renew or transfer and be immediately eligible. If you don't want the kid to transfer, offer em a multi year scholarship. If the kid transfers before the scholarship is up (e.g. mid-season transfer or leaves after year 1 of a 2 year scholarship) then they have to sit out a year as penalty.

Gives protection to both sides.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2016, 05:13:59 PM »
Easy solution. When the scholarship is up, the student athlete can either renew or transfer and be immediately eligible. If you don't want the kid to transfer, offer em a multi year scholarship. If the kid transfers before the scholarship is up (e.g. mid-season transfer or leaves after year 1 of a 2 year scholarship) then they have to sit out a year as penalty.

Gives protection to both sides.

Stop being sensible.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #79 on: September 22, 2016, 07:09:31 AM »
Calhoun resigned in September.  So UConn basically had to name Ollie their coach on an interim basis.  He was the top assistant - it made perfect sense to do so.  He did well his first year, but didn't make the tournament due to APR issues.  They won the national championship the second year.

What "huge" coach would have taken the position?

Do you think if Calhoun had retired at a better time no big names would've been sniffing around a program that has been arguably the best in the country since 1999?
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2016, 07:22:20 AM »
Do you think if Calhoun had retired at a better time no big names would've been sniffing around a program that has been arguably the best in the country since 1999?

Well I don't know what you mean by "big names." Someone like Buzz?  Probably. Someone like Jay Wright?  I doubt it.

Replacing a legend is hard. Especially if that legend wants one of his guys to replace him. Most people wouldn't leave a good position for that.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2016, 09:26:15 AM »
Well I don't know what you mean by "big names." Someone like Buzz?  Probably. Someone like Jay Wright?  I doubt it.

Replacing a legend is hard. Especially if that legend wants one of his guys to replace him. Most people wouldn't leave a good position for that.

ZOMG.  This.  Without research or inquiry, I can unequivocally say that this is the most intelligent thing Sultan has said in the last two hours.

Just wait to see what happens when K retires at Duke.  Contrary to what most Scoopers may want to believe, there absolutely will not be any high-major coach throwing themselves at the Duke job when it happens... following a legend is a serious career risk.  Fail, and you kiss goodbye your chance of ever sniffing another top coaching job again; even if you succeed, you'll constantly be compared to your predecessor for the rest of your tenure. Lead your team to five straight S16 appearances in five years (throw in a FF or even a natty for good measure if you want) and that would be great - not spectacular, but great; however, miss the tourney in your sixth year, and your head might as well literally be on a chopping block, because boy, will it ever be figuratively.

In other words, there's no greater a (career) suicide mission than following a legend, unless.... wait for it.... you're hand-picked by your predecessor for the job because at that point, you've been excused of all faults, expectations and prejudice inherent to the aforementioned.  In other words, nobody but Gard was going to take the job at UW; nobody but Ollie was taking the job at UCONN, and nobody except whoever K picks is taking the job at Duke.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2016, 09:38:53 PM »
No.
In the 30 years before hiring Calhoun, they'd made a whopping three NCAA appearances and one Sweet 16.
Perhaps we just have different definitions of blue blood, but mine requires sustained success beyond one coaching tenure.

I guess that means Indiana also is not a blueblood. Neither is Duke, which won precious little before the current coaching tenure.

Certainly, Arizona isn't. Neither is Michigan State. UCLA ... borderline.

That leaves who? Kentucky, UNC, Kansas ... anybody else?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2016, 10:07:01 PM »
I guess that means Indiana also is not a blueblood. Neither is Duke, which won precious little before the current coaching tenure.

Certainly, Arizona isn't. Neither is Michigan State. UCLA ... borderline.

That leaves who? Kentucky, UNC, Kansas ... anybody else?

Michigan State won a national title prior to Izzo.

Indiana won two national championships prior to Knight.

Duke made four Final Fours and two national championship games prior to Coach K.