collapse

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[May 31, 2024, 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[May 31, 2024, 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[May 31, 2024, 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The spirit of the Olympics  (Read 36428 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: The spirit of the Olympics
« Reply #300 on: August 20, 2016, 12:25:07 AM »
No, he said "to my knowledge, there was no damage done to the door or the inside of the restroom".

He also states that the frames were removed from the video that would substantiate his story.  The bathroom door is square in the middle of the videos.  If they forced it open or damaged it, those videos would show it. 

There is a reason some frames are being removed in Brazil's reports.  There is also a reason, why the Brazilian DJ (who translated for the Americans) is the only person at the scene saying a gun was not drawn.  There were multiple other witnesses confirming that guns were drawn and pointed at the Americans, the security guards even originally confirmed pulling their guns (now they are not speaking).

Lochte is a liar.  The Rio police/Brazil are also lying about the narrative.  Bentz's story when he got back to the US indicates that the American's were victims and is probably the only true story out there, but is still carefully worded to ensure not raising more diplomatic problems.

If Lochte had just told the real story as it occurred, the world would have looked at the swimmers as victims.  Lochte though was an idiot, it changed the narrative and now many, including you look at these individuals as terrible.

It's also terrible that this whole Lochte incident has detracted from the narrative and spirit of the olympics.  Instead of focusing on things like D'Agostino helping another fallen runner up and then both helping each other to the finish and D'Agostino getting help to a wheel chair, the world is looking at Lochte's story.

Narrative? Spirit? Brazil has been awful from the bid and through the entire games.

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/HHcTH

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #301 on: August 20, 2016, 12:26:07 AM »
Does anyone understand scoring in diving.  I watch it all the time and look at two consecutive dives and can't the difference.  One gets 9's the other get 7's.

I like the sport as I find it crazy how much they can spin and what they can do, but really don't understand the scoring.

That said.  Tom Daley from the UK is pretty insane.

As a former diver, it's incredibly hard to notice nuances of dives especially in real time. Most people just notice the splash.

brandx

« Reply #302 on: August 20, 2016, 12:40:03 AM »
Does anyone understand scoring in diving.  I watch it all the time and look at two consecutive dives and can't the difference.  One gets 9's the other get 7's.

I like the sport as I find it crazy how much they can spin and what they can do, but really don't understand the scoring.

That said.  Tom Daley from the UK is pretty insane.

I read an article about what judges see in gynmastics that the lay person does not. I think it is probably similar for diving.

But I was able to call the dives regularly within 1 point - often within half a point just because I had read that article. I will see if I cxan find it to post.

brandx

« Reply #303 on: August 20, 2016, 12:45:45 AM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/olympics-gymnastics-judges-deductions_us_57a91c35e4b06adc11f139da

Normally, I just watched the routine in general. After reading this, I started watching for specific things.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #304 on: August 20, 2016, 02:25:18 AM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/olympics-gymnastics-judges-deductions_us_57a91c35e4b06adc11f139da

Normally, I just watched the routine in general. After reading this, I started watching for specific things.

Thanks.  These are some of my favorite olympic sports to watch, but have struggled at times to understand the nuances of scoring.  Because I've seen more gymnastics, I'm better at guessing the scores. 

For Diving though, I've struggled, particularly the women where I had a hard time discerning the differences in the dives between the Chinese and everyone else.  Their splash was less, but the other aspects and verticality of entry seemed similar.  My goal is by next olympics to understand the nuances better.

As a former diver, it's incredibly hard to notice nuances of dives especially in real time. Most people just notice the splash.

That's awesome.  Mad respect for divers.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #305 on: August 20, 2016, 06:05:56 AM »
So, no vandalizing doors, mirrors or soap dispensers, and were held at gunpoint and money demanded of them.  That's called a robbery.

Only damage was a loosely attached advertisement poster.  You actually can see this in the video on the Brazil news, he doesn't intentionally damage anything just grabs at the wall when he goes to use the restroom, the poster falls off. 

So facts of the story. 

1.  Lochte is a moronic idiot of poor intelligence. 

2.  Four US swimmers were robbed/extorted at gunpoint.

3.  Brazil indicted two US athletes prior to questioning the other two victims.  There is no way to get an honest story from people, if you indicted the other two who told their story.  You pretty much are saying, agree with our narrative or you go to jail.

If the exact same thing happened in the US, the security guards would be in jail and the owners of the gas station would be desperately trying to settle out of court for $10-50k for illegally detaining the individuals.

Lochte would still be an moronic idiot of poor intelligence.

Not to stick up for the dude(lochte), but he did get out of dodge before the chit really hit the fan and the others were still sleepin it off. 

Gotta love it-Brazil wants to throw the book at them?
don't...don't don't don't don't

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #306 on: August 20, 2016, 07:30:11 AM »
Watching women's BMX.  Only thing I can think about is excitebike.... am I the only one.

I was at work the other day watching a different TV than most of the rest of the crew. They had some synchronized swimming on, I had live Excitebike. Of course, as soon as I told them to turn over to the good stuff, they changed events.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #307 on: August 20, 2016, 10:47:47 AM »
Not to stick up for the dude(lochte), but he did get out of dodge before the chit really hit the fan and the others were still sleepin it off. 

Which just means he has a better lawyer than the others.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #308 on: August 20, 2016, 10:53:53 AM »
Probably the most dominant USA team was Women's Water Polo, coached by Adam Krikorian, whose older brother, the founder of Slingbox, died of a heart attack at the start of the games.  The team honored their coach by placing their Gold Medals around his neck.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mark-purdy/ci_30269106/purdy-golden-moment-adam-krikorian-and-usa-womens

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #309 on: August 20, 2016, 11:08:25 AM »
I was at work the other day watching a different TV than most of the rest of the crew. They had some synchronized swimming on, I had live Excitebike. Of course, as soon as I told them to turn over to the good stuff, they changed events.

Pajon is unstoppable in that event. I think this is the best olympics in Colombian history.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #310 on: August 20, 2016, 11:20:16 AM »
Congratulations to Gwen Jorgenson for winning the US first ever Women's Triathlon gold medal.

Jorgeson grew up in Waukesha (Waukesha South) where she was a standout in track, cross country and swimming.  She went to Madison and was the Big 10 champion in 5000 and 3000 in track, and named an all-america.  She also qualified for the NCAA championship in cross country and the big ten championship in swimming. In 2008 she graduated with master's degree in accounting, passed the CPA exam, and worked for Ernst & Young in Milwaukee as a tax accountant.

In 2010 she quit her job and dedicated herself full-time to the triathlon.  She even moved overseas to train more.  She now lives in St. Paul.

She was 2014 and 2015 world champion making her the overwhelming favorite to win gold.  They talked about how the pressure to win was almost suffocating because she was such a favorite.  When she won she burst into tears and uncontrollable emotion ... you could she the relief and joy come pouring out.

It was a good moment and one why I watch the Olympics.

http://www.gwenjorgensen.com/

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #311 on: August 20, 2016, 12:17:23 PM »
Congratulations to Gwen Jorgenson for winning the US first ever Women's Triathlon gold medal.

Jorgeson grew up in Waukesha (Waukesha South) where she was a standout in track, cross country and swimming.  She went to Madison and was the Big 10 champion in 5000 and 3000 in track, and named an all-america.  She also qualified for the NCAA championship in cross country and the big ten championship in swimming. In 2008 she graduated with master's degree in accounting, passed the CPA exam, and worked for Ernst & Young in Milwaukee as a tax accountant.

In 2010 she quit her job and dedicated herself full-time to the triathlon.  She even moved overseas to train more.  She now lives in St. Paul.

She was 2014 and 2015 world champion making her the overwhelming favorite to win gold.  They talked about how the pressure to win was almost suffocating because she was such a favorite.  When she won she burst into tears and uncontrollable emotion ... you could she the relief and joy come pouring out.

It was a good moment and one why I watch the Olympics.

http://www.gwenjorgensen.com/

Wow!  Thanks for the info.  Never would have known all that.  It always seems to be more rewarding to hear when they've grown up in the community of which I've called home for the last 30 years.  I hope the Utes take notice
don't...don't don't don't don't

MU82

• All American
« Reply #312 on: August 20, 2016, 02:37:56 PM »
Thanks.  These are some of my favorite olympic sports to watch, but have struggled at times to understand the nuances of scoring.  Because I've seen more gymnastics, I'm better at guessing the scores. 

For Diving though, I've struggled, particularly the women where I had a hard time discerning the differences in the dives between the Chinese and everyone else.  Their splash was less, but the other aspects and verticality of entry seemed similar.  My goal is by next olympics to understand the nuances better.

That's awesome.  Mad respect for divers.

Even though I like watching diving, gymnastics and figure skating, I go in recognizing how flawed the competition is because of the scoring aspect.

The top performers in each sport have built-in advantages -- their reputations earn them points before they ever attempt a dive or a routine. A relative unknown or non-favorite can perform the exact same dive as the favorite and perform it as well or better, but it seems to me, as a long-time observer, that the unknown/non-favorite will get lower scores "just because."

The regulations have been tightened, and I don't think it's corrupt as it once was, but it is a flaw. Nothing you can do about it, though, which is why I said I go in knowing about it before I sit down to watch. 
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #313 on: August 20, 2016, 02:42:06 PM »
'Effin' Russian judges.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #314 on: August 20, 2016, 04:07:02 PM »
'Effin' Russian judges.

It is telling that Boxing had to send judges home this time.  A sport that can't get past its crooked reputation at all. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #315 on: August 20, 2016, 07:23:27 PM »
RSA she/he wins da 800. Dis is fooked up, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #316 on: August 20, 2016, 07:29:17 PM »
Neymar striking home the winning penalty and breaking out in tears as he ran away celebrating was probably the moment of the Olympics thus far. Brazil finally has Olympic gold on home soil. Great final, great moment. Couldn't have scripted a better ending, especially after 7-1 a year ago.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #317 on: August 20, 2016, 07:34:12 PM »
Awesome seeing an American man win the 1500!  Congrats to Centrowitz - great strategy and strong finish.  His family's reaction was classic.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #318 on: August 20, 2016, 08:01:39 PM »
Neymar striking home the winning penalty and breaking out in tears as he ran away celebrating was probably the moment of the Olympics thus far. Brazil finally has Olympic gold on home soil. Great final, great moment. Couldn't have scripted a better ending, especially after 7-1 a year ago.

Nah, screw Neymar and Brazilian soccer. Neymar fouled someone really had today and he ended up being the one on the ground crying in pain. No respect for him.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #319 on: August 20, 2016, 08:09:51 PM »
Strange 5k with 3 DQs (including an American - Paul Chelimo, who'd finished second).  And the timeless Bernard Lagat moves into the Bronze at age 41.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #320 on: August 20, 2016, 08:21:09 PM »
Strange 5k with 3 DQs (including an American - Paul Chelimo, who'd finished second).  And the timeless Bernard Lagat moves into the Bronze at age 41.

I agree ... I can imagine all the national associations are going to protest like crazy.  Either they reinstate all of them or DQ Mo Farah for shoving Clemino at the start of the bell lap.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #321 on: August 20, 2016, 08:42:07 PM »
Gold in men's and women's 4x400!  Nice final legs by Felix and Merritt.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #322 on: August 20, 2016, 08:43:28 PM »
This is one of the best olympics I can remember for the US, medal wise.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #323 on: August 20, 2016, 08:48:10 PM »
This is one of the best olympics I can remember for the US, medal wise.

Most (currently 115) since 1984 in LA.  Had a crazy 174 in LA, but USSR, East Germany and 12 others boycotted.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 08:51:46 PM by GooooMarquette »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #324 on: August 20, 2016, 08:52:58 PM »
6 medals for the US track team in events 800 and up.  Most since 1912 (no typo)!  And the Men's marathon is tomorrow morning and Galen Rupp is a legit medal contender.

800 meter - Murphy Silver
3000 meter Steeple Chase - Jager Silver (Men), Coburn Bronze (women)
1500 meter - Centrowitz Gold (Men), Simpson Bronze (women)
5000 meter - Chelimo (Silver) ... just reinstated

Additionally

Women's marathon - All three Americans in top 10
5000 - All three American men qualified, Kenya zero!
10000 - Galen Rupp 5th place

Americans were equal to Kenya and Ethiopia in the distance events.  Something many thought was not possible.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 08:58:43 PM by Jesse Livermore »

feedback