'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: TBT Semifinal Game Thread  (Read 30264 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: TBT Semifinal Game Thread
« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2016, 08:38:30 PM »
Win Every Day

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #76 on: July 22, 2016, 08:38:44 PM »
#TBT has a pic up of all you great fans from last week in Chicago.Too bad chick and I were away from town.  Lookin' good!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #77 on: July 22, 2016, 08:40:45 PM »
Holy Christ people.  I know you love our guys but there is a reason these guys are playing here and not in the NBA.  They aren't being overlooked.  Most of them have played for NBADL teams or even had a cup of coffee in the Association.  Buycks signed a two year contract a couple years ago and was given ever opportunity to stick.

Just enjoy them for what they are doing now.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #78 on: July 22, 2016, 08:45:14 PM »
Buycks has turned himself into a helluva point Guard.  He's a way better player now then he was in college.
Was thinking the exact same thing.  Rel peaked as a senior, but Dwight turned into a much better player 5 years after college.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #79 on: July 22, 2016, 08:48:42 PM »
#TBT has a pic up of all you great fans from last week in Chicago.Too bad chick and I were away from town.  Lookin' good!

More students there than at the Big East home opener last season, ai-na?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #80 on: July 22, 2016, 09:02:29 PM »
Buycks looks like a NBA player. Jamil looks like a D League player. Jerel, DJO, they have their moments but are inconsistent.

What it is to me is fun. It's a great chance to see our guys again. To see Gardner be a bully in the post, to see Derrick play bigger than his size, to see Jerel play defense. Hope they win it all, but regardless I love the competition for the chance to see these guys again. Hope it helps their careers, but Buycks looks like the only guy with a NBA shot. Gardner...no way.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2016, 09:16:30 PM »
But he never has.  Gardner has great hands, great feet, great instinct around the basket, great touch.   He is an absolute brute down low.    But.... he has always struggled to play defense in space, he has always struggled with his weight, and he will never be taller than 6'7.     Let's pretend, for the sake of argument, that he was on Cavaliers' roster.    Who would he have been able to guard for Golden State?     Let's pretend he was a Warrior as a pro, too.    Who could he have guarded on Cleveland?   

I agree, Gardner is not and will never be NBA quality.

That said, I don't think your Cleveland/GS analogy is fair. If he could guard backup quality players and lottery teams he would be in the NBA. But he won't be able to do that either.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2016, 09:36:42 PM »
Lots of fun. Also loved Davante's dad's Netflix and Chill tshirt. Never change, Gardners

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2016, 09:38:17 PM »
Buycks has turned himself into a helluva point Guard.  He's a way better player now then he was in college.

I really think he was very good in college too.  Buzz misplayed him, he didn't fit Buzz's style.  IMO biggest mistake Buzz made as a coach was not adapting his style to showcase Buycks.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2016, 09:40:30 PM »
Buycks looks like a NBA player. Jamil looks like a D League player. Jerel, DJO, they have their moments but are inconsistent.

What it is to me is fun. It's a great chance to see our guys again. To see Gardner be a bully in the post, to see Derrick play bigger than his size, to see Jerel play defense. Hope they win it all, but regardless I love the competition for the chance to see these guys again. Hope it helps their careers, but Buycks looks like the only guy with a NBA shot. Gardner...no way.
Buycks will go overseas and then come back to the D League when his overseas season ends. I think he has a good shot at being called up again.

I enjoy watching the rest of the guys play . We really had some fun players in the Crean/Buzz era . I like how they value the Marquette experience. Wojo  and MU are making a good move by embracing this team.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #85 on: July 22, 2016, 09:58:38 PM »
Im sure this has been asked and answered somewhere, search is not providing it.
Where's Dominic James and Lazar?
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #86 on: July 22, 2016, 10:09:09 PM »
Survive and advance

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #87 on: July 22, 2016, 10:12:30 PM »
Im sure this has been asked and answered somewhere, search is not providing it.
Where's Dominic James and Lazar?

It's Dominic Wright now, and I believe he is selling Pulloons.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #88 on: July 22, 2016, 10:18:06 PM »
That was a lot of fun.

I told my wife before the game, "It's just a bunch of our former players and I promise I won't get too wound up during the game" -- because, well, let's just say I get pretty amped for the big games.

I didn't have to say all that, though, because it was Mrs. MU82 who was clapping and cheering and yelling at the TV! It was really funny. I guess we both missed watching MU hoops -- and it was a blast seeing some of our faves from the last few years on the court together.

When it was over, I was happy that our guyz won, of course. But I think I was happier that now we get to watch them again tomorrow night!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #89 on: July 22, 2016, 10:19:51 PM »
It's Dominic Wright now, and I believe he is selling Pulloons.

Back to James. He played in Qatar for the last couple of seasons, but not sure what he's doing now. Twitter says he's in Atlanta, and still keeps an eye on MU hoops.

Lazar is harder to track down. He signed with the Lakers D-League team towards the end of last season, but there wasn't much on him beyond that.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 10:22:17 PM by MUfan12 »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #90 on: July 22, 2016, 10:25:06 PM »
That was a lot of fun.

I told my wife before the game, "It's just a bunch of our former players and I promise I won't get too wound up during the game" -- because, well, let's just say I get pretty amped for the big games.

I didn't have to say all that, though, because it was Mrs. MU82 who was clapping and cheering and yelling at the TV! It was really funny. I guess we both missed watching MU hoops -- and it was a blast seeing some of our faves from the last few years on the court together.

When it was over, I was happy that our guyz won, of course. But I think I was happier that now we get to watch them again tomorrow night!

Going to be a very good game tomorrow.
            ---Al McGuire

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #91 on: July 22, 2016, 10:25:25 PM »
Back to James. He played in Qatar for the last couple of seasons, but not sure what he's doing now. Twitter says he's in Atlanta, and still keeps an eye on MU hoops.

Lazar is harder to track down. He signed with the Lakers D-League team towards the end of last season, but there wasn't much on him beyond that.

Probably in new Orleans somewhere tracking spirits or auditioning for the next ghostbusters.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #92 on: July 22, 2016, 10:32:56 PM »
Watched the second game between Always A Brave and Pedro's Posse.  Always A Brave is made up of vets of Bradley's sweet sixteen team from ten years ago.  They are going to be tough to beat.

Marcellus Sommerville has been playing in France since and will be tough to stop.  Marquette's advantage will be youth and guard depth.  Always A Brave also has O'Bryant at center who was an NBA lottery pick.  Luckily he seems to be out of shape.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #93 on: July 22, 2016, 10:34:45 PM »
Watched the second game between Always A Brave and Pedro's Posse.  Always A Brave is made up of vets of Bradley's sweet sixteen team from ten years ago.  They are going to be tough to beat.

Marcellus Sommerville has been playing in France since and will be tough to stop.  Marquette's advantage will be youth and guard depth.  Always A Brave also has O'Bryant at center who was an NBA lottery pick.  Luckily he seems to be out of shape.

Wardle versus Wojo
            ---Al McGuire

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #94 on: July 22, 2016, 10:41:32 PM »
Wardle versus Wojo

Which brings up another point.  Always A Brave was coached by ex-Indiana U four year starter and Peoria native A J Guyton assisted by his high school coach.  They seemed to be very well coached.  Given Wes' lack of coaching experience, I think that Always A Brave could have an edge there.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #95 on: July 22, 2016, 10:43:37 PM »
Which brings up another point.  Always A Brave was coached by ex-Indiana U four year starter and Peoria native A J Guyton assisted by his high school coach.  They seemed to be very well coached.  Given Wes' lack of coaching experience, I think that Always A Brave could have an edge there.
Wes is definitely called out plays etc. I think he is taking it seriously and enjoying his role.

---Al McGuire

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #96 on: July 22, 2016, 10:47:13 PM »
Wes is definitely called out plays etc. I think he is taking it seriously and enjoying his role.

Hopefully, he and Fitz and most players stuck around and scouted the next game.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #97 on: July 22, 2016, 10:49:53 PM »
Hopefully, he and Fitz and most players stuck around and scouted the next game.
They have skin in the game too so I am sure they did.
            ---Al McGuire

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #98 on: July 23, 2016, 01:12:54 AM »
Probably in new Orleans somewhere tracking spirits or auditioning for the next ghostbusters.

Don't be a d!ck.  Get over yourself and your adolescent jokes.  Lazar gave everything he had for MU.  His Mom walked out on him when he was a kid.  Unless you have lost a parent you don't know the struggle he's faced.  It's easy to rip someone's idioscynracies when you don't know their story. He's searching for something. It'd be a lot cooler if you could man up and not judge him. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #99 on: July 23, 2016, 01:23:03 AM »
Don't be a d!ck.  Get over yourself and your adolescent jokes.  Lazar gave everything he had for MU.  His Mom walked out on him when he was a kid.  Unless you have lost a parent you don't know the struggle he's faced.  It's easy to rip someone's idioscynracies when you don't know their story. He's searching for something. It'd be a lot cooler if you could man up and not judge him.

Even I think this reaction is a little over the top.

He made a lame joke, that we've heard a thousand times about an odd quirk that one of our most beloved alumni has. Tell him its not funny and explain why but no need to call him names.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback