Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks] Team of Marquette NBA Alums 6th Best in Country - Projected 52-30 Record  (Read 2869 times)

CrackedSidewalks

Team of Marquette NBA Alums 6th Best in Country - Projected 52-30 Record

I realize this will be viewed as a "homer" post, particularly as I head to Milwaukee Thursday for an 11:30 presentation (yes, those of you in Milwaukee please RSVP here and come!).

However, I ran the estimated wins created by all NBA players as calculated by ESPN's Estimated Wins Added formula and Value Add Basketball Rankings of incoming players (see details in post here). Then I broke down all 728 players who are on NBA rosters, D-League Rosters or Free Agents by their college. In a stroke of luck, the 36 colleges here are the only teams with at least five players each.

Those 36 teams breakdown nicely into six divisions similar to the NBA's actual divisional footprint. (Keep in mind, Davidson doesn't have five NBA players, to Seth Curry would not be on a team, and James went straight from high school to the NBA, so Russell Westbrook of UCLA and Kevin Durant of Texas would be the top two players from these 36 schools).  Eastern Conference (NBA Alums).

While I will post a Breitbart Sports story later on all six divisions here, and you can look at standings and players in each division here, let me just focus on the six Midwestern Schools who could field a starting five:

East - CentralW-LGB
Marquette52-300
Michigan State49-33-3
Ohio State41-41-11
Indiana34-48-18
Michigan28-54-24
Wisconsin26-56-26

Based on ESPN's Estimated Wins Added, Jimmy Butler (worth 13.3 extra wins) and Dwyane Wade (11.1) both edge out Michigan State's Draymond Green (10.9) as top players in this hypothetical Division of schools whose NBA alums would make up the "Eastern Conference, Central Division."

Even though Wesley Matthews was not at the same level post-injury, Value Add doesn't rank Henry Ellenson as a huge producer yet, and we don't know if the Bucks will bring Steve Novak back, the addition of Jae Crowder (6.1) gives MU a trio that ranks overall slightly ahead of Michigan State's balanced alumns (Denzel Valentine, Zach Randolph).  Ohio State's Mike Conley and Indiana's Victor Olidipo rank in a distant tie for fourth behind the big three.

While they do not calculate as adding wins, Marquette is one of the few teams that could fill an entire roster with Vander Blue, Dwight Buycks, Matt Carlino and Lazar Hayward available in the 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th spots.

If the entire projection played out in a hypothetical season, MU would go into the tourament as the No. 3 seed in the East to draw No. 6 Florida, then No. 2 UConn and No. 1 Duke. At that point a prohibitive overall No. 1 Kentucky from the West would be the prohibitive favorite - actually projects and an unrealistic 80-2 on the season - but we all know what happens when a Dwyane Wade MU team plays a Kentucky team ranked No. 1.

Source: Team of Marquette NBA Alums 6th Best in Country - Projected 52-30 Record

Coleman

• All American
Cool idea.

Obviously not every NBA player is represented, so it has limited value.

Fun idea nonetheless.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Wisconsin could field a team? Would that be Devin Harris, Greg Stiemsma, Jon Leuer, Frank Kaminsky, and Sam Dekker? That'd be amusing to see.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
52-30.  Reminds me of the Don Nelson Bucks teams. Always very good, usually won the division, just could never get over the hump.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
Cool idea.

Obviously not every NBA player is represented, so it has limited value.

Fun idea nonetheless.

Thanks all three for reading and responses. Yes, in the Breitbart piece coming (I've submitted, but the editors have to go through) on all the Divisions, I do note that this would be a "watered down" NBA. Believe it or not, 47.3% of the NBA and D-League players come from just these 36 schools (so all other countries and the other 315 D1 schools produce the other 52.7%). Impressive, but that still means most of these teams would be a mixture of NBA, D-League and a couple of filler "replacement" players on the roster. Kentucky's guys would all be NBA studs and would roll through the other teams, but we would have one of the best teams out there.
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

GB Warrior

• All American
Wisconsin could field a team? Would that be Devin Harris, Greg Stiemsma, Jon Leuer, Frank Kaminsky, and Sam Dekker? That'd be amusing to see.

Don't forget Brian Butch

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
Hey, D-League all-stars count toward the minimum 5 needed for a team (so if this were a few years ago he would count) - but I'm sorry that players who never played in an NBA game still have a value of ZERO extra wins - so the Badgers are still way down the list.
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
SS Marquette

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
Hey, lots of these alumni teams would love to have him as a 9th or 10th person because they would be going lower than D-League for theirs. Considering what else we had on the court that year, Carlino at least gave us hope in a lot of games I think - so I'm thankful he stepped in and gave us something that year. Plus, he really beat Georgetown on the three-point buzzer beater - terrible they waived that off!