[Today at 04:10:23 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Galway Eagle
[Today at 04:04:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Hack-a-Matt  (Read 2830 times)

tower912

• All American
Hack-a-Matt
« on: January 11, 2017, 08:57:34 PM »
Am I the only one surprised there wasn't some kind of hack-a-Matt going on?    Or have I missed a rule change that gives two shots and the ball in that scenario?   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

warriorchick

• All American
Re: Hack-a-Matt
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 09:00:49 PM »
They didn't have much of a chance.  Matt wasn't holding the ball very often.
Have some patience, FFS.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 09:02:42 PM »
Am I the only one surprised there wasn't some kind of hack-a-Matt going on?    Or have I missed a rule change that gives two shots and the ball in that scenario?

Matt was 11 for 18 from the FT line coming into this game.  That is 61%. 

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/3906524/matt-heldt

Assume SH has the stats but not the color.  You don't "hack away" when he is above 60%.  Additionally, they had a lot of players that did not have fouls to give.

Finally, chick is correct above.  He did not have the ball a lot.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 09:03:25 PM »

As already noted.

He barely had the ball
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 09:04:05 PM »
I guess I am looking for clarity.   If they would have bear hugged Matt 50 ft from the ball in order to send him to the line instead of KR, would MU have gotten two shots and the ball?    If not,  it seems to me that could have been a viable strategy.     And 61% is preferable to >90% from a SHU standpoint. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

brandx

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 09:06:32 PM »
They didn't have much of a chance.  Matt wasn't holding the ball very often.

He doesn't need to touch the ball in a hack-a Heldt scenario. Sounds like most here don't understand the concept.

It means fouling Heldt every time MU has the ball - no matter where he is on the floor and no matter who has the ball.

I don't believe asy rule has been put in to stop it from happening.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 09:09:51 PM by brandx »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 09:06:54 PM »
I guess I am looking for clarity.   If they would have bear hugged Matt 50 ft from the ball in order to send him to the line instead of KR, would MU have gotten two shots and the ball?    If not,  it seems to me that could have been a viable strategy.     And 61% is preferable to >90% from a SHU standpoint.

Pretty sure that's an intentional foul and MU would get the ball back. Or am I thinking of NBA rules?

brandx

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 09:12:26 PM »
Pretty sure that's an intentional foul and MU would get the ball back. Or am I thinking of NBA rules?

That is not the case in the NBA. It should be - as it would end the practice, but is not.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 09:14:32 PM »
I kept waiting for MU to foul the Hall and deny a 3 pt. attempt.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 09:15:46 PM »
The way the game was being called, I kept waiting for SHU get the gift phantom foul on the made 3 pointer, leading to a 4 pt opportunity. 

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2017, 09:32:14 PM »
The way the game was being called, I kept waiting for SHU get the gift phantom foul on the made 3 pointer, leading to a 4 pt opportunity.

Nah, they'd have missed the FT and then drilled another 3 for the 6-pt play.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 09:39:24 PM »
Nah, they'd have missed the FT and then drilled another 3 for the 6-pt play.
On a bank shot
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2017, 10:33:08 PM »
The foul would be an intentional unless they were making a basketball play on him.

So if hes just standing there making no effort for position or ball and they foul. Its 2. Shots and ball.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2017, 10:35:20 PM »
The foul would be an intentional unless they were making a basketball play on him.

So if hes just standing there making no effort for position or ball and they foul. Its 2. Shots and ball.

With the way the game was called, if they would have done that, Matt might have been called for a foul.

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2017, 10:39:34 PM »

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2017, 10:43:48 PM »
The way those refs were calling the game any SH player tackling Matt away from the ball would not have been called.  The only fouls allowed to be called by those 3 were blocking fouls and shooting fouls on drives.  If it did not fall into those categories particularly if committed my someone it a blue uniform it was not going to be called. :P

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2017, 10:53:44 PM »
To my knowledge, they changed the rule last year and that would be an intentional foul.

Could be wrong.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2017, 11:51:34 PM »

Because them going to the line at the end of the game worked so well last time we played them...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2017, 04:36:04 AM »

Fouling stops the clock and lengthens the game, giving Seton Hall more time to catch up and go ahead.  Al liked to say that at the end of close games the enemy was no longer the other team, but the clock.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2017, 06:26:08 AM »
That is not the case in the NBA. It should be - as it would end the practice, but is not.

I thought the NBA changed the rules this year that if you commit an intentional foul (hack a whoever) in the last two minutes, then it's free throws and the ball.  If it's done before the final two minutes of a quarter then it's just a normal foul. I think.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2017, 06:38:09 AM »
The last thing I wanted to see was MU try to rebound on a SH freethrow again.  Good move by Wojo.

brandx

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2017, 07:13:41 AM »
I thought the NBA changed the rules this year that if you commit an intentional foul (hack a whoever) in the last two minutes, then it's free throws and the ball.  If it's done before the final two minutes of a quarter then it's just a normal foul. I think.

Yeah, they did that a couple years ago.