[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What's Wrong With Apple (stock)?  (Read 122211 times)

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: What's Wrong With Apple (stock)?
« Reply #425 on: August 09, 2018, 10:33:52 AM »
Smart. There's a lot more room to go up than down at only $1.50 above offering. Everyone's scared of the bad comps (fitbit) and stiff competition (Alexa) but they'll keep their niche long enough to get out with a little profit.

Hoping so. Looking to get to $24-25 then bail (again), most likely.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

NWarsh

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #426 on: August 09, 2018, 11:15:38 AM »
Define private company.  They are publicly traded and in some cases receive government assistance, are they truly private?  Regardless, I'm not advocating a 1st amendment issue at all.  Not sure why you are claiming I have.  I'm well aware of the difference.

It comes down to whether these entities are an exchange of free thinking ideas or only those that they support. In my view, even if I disagree with those views, that is a mistake and further pulls both sides apart.

Not a government entity, in the private sector.  I should have said a private sector company. 

So if your argument is going to be that that companies who are publicly traded might not truly be private, then you have no issues with the government putting more restrictions on therm, such as more environmental protection laws, more banking regulations to prevent economic devastation if they f-up and become too greedy again?  Right?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #427 on: August 09, 2018, 11:36:52 AM »
Dude argues the republican party left him.

Dude also was a significant reason we got the president we got
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #428 on: August 09, 2018, 12:26:52 PM »
Yeah, dude left the Republican Party

He was a conservative before the creep and he is a conservative now.

But you are facing a dilemma. You are always the first to whine to the Mods about politics. Yet, if you do that here, you are complaining about yourself since I am only replying to your political post.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #429 on: August 09, 2018, 10:54:41 PM »
Not a government entity, in the private sector.  I should have said a private sector company. 

So if your argument is going to be that that companies who are publicly traded might not truly be private, then you have no issues with the government putting more restrictions on therm, such as more environmental protection laws, more banking regulations to prevent economic devastation if they f-up and become too greedy again?  Right?

No problem from my end.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #430 on: August 09, 2018, 10:58:50 PM »
... no issues with the government putting more restrictions on therm, such as more environmental protection laws, more banking regulations to prevent economic devastation if they f-up and become too greedy again?  Right?

Curious as to the point you’re trying to make here, because, a) gov’t does have those rights and b) I don’t think any F500 - or Russell 2000 company for that matter - has ever advocated for libertarian oversight of publicly traded companies.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #431 on: August 10, 2018, 08:23:38 AM »

Again, I said "left-wing," and I was talking about the extreme. I should have said "extreme," chicos2, I admit that. I think you'd agree with me that when one thinks of "left-wingers," one doesn't think of Chris Wallace.

Unlike some (you might want to look in the mirror), I don't just fabricate stuff. But nice try.

Anyway, this was about Alex Jones. One does not have to devolve into politics at all to discuss his brand of hate and his tin-foil BS.

Left wing as in left of center, far left, moderate left? You didn't define.  If you meant extreme then I understand, but you didn't articulate that so it was not obvious.  Though doesn't Fox have Dennis Kucinich?  He would with that label in my view.  Others.

On Alex Jones, you might or might not enjoy reading this New York Times OpEd about the slippery slope this is going to create. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/09/opinion/if-we-silence-hate-speech-will-we-silence-resistance.html
— Plato

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #432 on: August 10, 2018, 09:06:02 AM »
Hoping so. Looking to get to $24-25 then bail (again), most likely.

I bought a bunch of shares yesterday sub $17. Agree that the floor seems mid teens and hovering around $20 seems realistic. It’s cheap enough to bang out a decent profit.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #433 on: August 10, 2018, 09:26:39 AM »
Left wing as in left of center, far left, moderate left? You didn't define.  If you meant extreme then I understand, but you didn't articulate that so it was not obvious.  Though doesn't Fox have Dennis Kucinich?  He would with that label in my view.  Others.

On Alex Jones, you might or might not enjoy reading this New York Times OpEd about the slippery slope this is going to create. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/09/opinion/if-we-silence-hate-speech-will-we-silence-resistance.html
It's amusing that Chico's ideas of liberals are Alan Colmes and Dennis Kucinich, who now peddles Deep State conspiracy theories.

Never change, Cheeks.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #434 on: August 10, 2018, 10:16:08 AM »
I bought a bunch of shares yesterday sub $17. Agree that the floor seems mid teens and hovering around $20 seems realistic. It’s cheap enough to bang out a decent profit.

Up 5% today to mid-17's. We may be the #AntiHeisy.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #435 on: August 10, 2018, 10:41:39 AM »
Dish and JayBee (and anyone else that cares to answer) - what platform do ya'll use for this stuff? I haven't jumped in yet, but for as much as I follow it, its beginning to be like playing fantasy sports for no money - I might as well get in the game. Thinking I'd want the platform with the lowest transaction costs and most intuitive for trades and tax reporting?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #436 on: August 10, 2018, 10:51:57 AM »
Dish and JayBee (and anyone else that cares to answer) - what platform do ya'll use for this stuff? I haven't jumped in yet, but for as much as I follow it, its beginning to be like playing fantasy sports for no money - I might as well get in the game. Thinking I'd want the platform with the lowest transaction costs and most intuitive for trades and tax reporting?

I don't have a strong allegiance to any platform and think they're all somewhat comparable - you may personally prefer one or another. I mostly use e*Trade. I think it's at $6.95 per trade. They have eff'd up tax reporting in the past, but it's easy to use.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #437 on: August 10, 2018, 11:18:32 AM »

I use E Trade. I agree that their tax reporting needs work, but trading is easy and relatively cheap. Full disclosure, my brother also works at E Trade.

I jumped in on DBX at mid $31 today.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #438 on: August 10, 2018, 01:13:36 PM »

I use Fidelity, Schwab and Vanguard. All are good, with good customer service.

Unless you're going to have a large account (which favors Vanguard), best costs for transactions are Fidelity and Schwab at $4.95 per trade. Both also have excellent research tools; I favor Fidelity's slightly, but Schwab offers Morningstar, which is nice.

All of them (and every other brokerage) is required by law to calculate cost basis and other data that has to do with taxes.

My only advice is to know yourself (risk tolerance, goals, etc) and to not invest in a way that makes you uncomfortable.

I wish you good fortune!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #439 on: August 10, 2018, 04:05:17 PM »

That was a good read. Thanks for posting. Lots of food for thought in there.

I don't blame the social media sites for kicking off Alex Jones, especially given the way the sites themselves have been demonized for not monitoring the stuff they publish better.

But sure, there could be unintended consequences from this kind of stuff. There often are. Such as Jones becoming a martyr.

Of course, the White House regularly has banned certain reporters from official media events, even a pool reporter just a couple weeks back.

And, as I said, many of the same people moaning about the ban of Alex Jones celebrate the blackballing of Kaepernick and Eric Reid.

So who knows? It's an interesting discussion.

It gets less interesting when you start interpreting left-wing and right-wing as something other than far from the center. Nobody who calls Palin right-wing or Bernie Sanders left-wing is saying they are slightly right or left of center. But I guess that was on me for not providing context.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #440 on: August 10, 2018, 07:16:18 PM »
I can only think of one.

Agree with you on Crean, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #441 on: August 10, 2018, 10:31:27 PM »

um... yeaaah.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #442 on: August 10, 2018, 10:46:21 PM »

I can see the campaign slogan now:

Crean 2020: Couldn't Be Any Worse!

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #443 on: August 10, 2018, 11:16:12 PM »
I agree with this.  Fox has hosts from the left, too.  Chris Wallace, is a Democrat.   Alan Colmes (RIP) was there for years,a  Democrats.  According to one list I found, at least 20 contributors.  Sally Kohn wrote a piece in Time about her work there.  http://time.com/5233477/sally-kohn-the-opposite-of-hate/

I believe it was only 24 hours ago that MU82 accused others of making a statement(s) without a shred of evidence to back it up, but then he comes out with that statement.   :P

Chris Wallace is no Democrat and is a huge continual disappointment.  I can tell there it's an excellent journalist under that skin somewhere, but he chooses to rarely show it and instead prefers slurping for Fox.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #444 on: August 11, 2018, 12:17:47 AM »
Chris Wallace is no Democrat and is a huge continual disappointment.  I can tell there it's an excellent journalist under that skin somewhere, but he chooses to rarely show it and instead prefers slurping for Fox.

He is a registered Democrat, for more than three decades.  Votes for both parties

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/10/AR2006101001509.html

— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #445 on: August 11, 2018, 12:26:08 AM »
It's amusing that Chico's ideas of liberals are Alan Colmes and Dennis Kucinich, who now peddles Deep State conspiracy theories.

Never change, Cheeks.

Keep going with that I guess.  Those two were mentioned because they worked for Fox News.  Colmes, I enjoyed his commentary immensely, and he self identified with that label.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/alan-colmes-co-host-of-hannity-and-colmes-and-liberal-in-lions-den-of-fox-news-dies-at-66/2017/02/23/e95ddfae-f9d9-11e6-be05-1a3817ac21a5_story.html?utm_term=.b9ca94bc1a4d

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/23/business/media/obituary-alan-colmes-fox-news.html

Kucinich, did also.  That doesn't mean those are the only definitions of left wing or liberal, not in my view anyway. 
— Plato

MU82

• All American
« Reply #446 on: August 11, 2018, 09:00:56 AM »

I rarely watch Fox News but I do have a couple of friends who occasionally send me links. From that limited sample, I have thought Wallace did some good work. From a similarly limited sample, I prefer Shep Smith.

BTW, I rarely watch MSNBC and CNN, either. I am closing in on my 1-year anniversary of having dumped DirecTV, and since then have relied mostly on OTT antenna, Netflix and Hulu.

NWarsh

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #447 on: August 13, 2018, 12:11:34 PM »
Curious as to the point you’re trying to make here, because, a) gov’t does have those rights and b) I don’t think any F500 - or Russell 2000 company for that matter - has ever advocated for libertarian oversight of publicly traded companies.

I was asking chicos 2.0 the question because of the below statement he made.  I agree with you 100%.  It was just a very odd question to ask.

"They are publicly traded and in some cases receive government assistance, are they truly private? "

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #448 on: August 14, 2018, 09:59:55 AM »
Keep going with that I guess.  Those two were mentioned because they worked for Fox News.  Colmes, I enjoyed his commentary immensely, and he self identified with that label.   

That's exactly the point. FoxNews hired self-identified "liberals" who were total tools in order to prop up the purported reasonableness of the crazy crap coming out of everyone else's mouths. Sure, Colmes seemed nice, but he was a complete stooge. A human straw man.

Thank god you've at least dropped the "not Chicos" thing. That was pretty weird. Step in the right direction, I guess.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #449 on: August 14, 2018, 12:41:50 PM »
That's exactly the point. FoxNews hired self-identified "liberals" who were total tools in order to prop up the purported reasonableness of the crazy crap coming out of everyone else's mouths. Sure, Colmes seemed nice, but he was a complete stooge. A human straw man.

Thank god you've at least dropped the "not Chicos" thing. That was pretty weird. Step in the right direction, I guess.

In fairness, but everyone hires tools to advance their own agenda.  Doesn’t make Fox or CNN or anyone else any better or more objective than the other. 

People mostly listen to what they want to listen to.  Cable news is a big$$$ business, and they cater to the crowds that make them the most money.  All of them do.  If all the rednecks decided to start watching the Daily Show instead of their bi-hourly NASCAR/UFC update at 11:00p, Trevor Noah would turn into one of the brothers Tom faster than you could say Keenan Ivory Wayans.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.