'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wally no longer with team.  (Read 7399 times)

fjm

• All American
Wally no longer with team.
« on: April 21, 2016, 05:19:06 PM »
Per report from Matty V on Twitter.
Also there is reporting that Christian Haffner is no longer with the team in his way on role.

@matt_velazquez 4-21-16, 1701

According to a source, redshirt junior guard Wally Ellenson is no longer part of the Marquette men's basketball team. Story coming. #mubb
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 05:20:48 PM by fjm »

🏀

• All American
Re: Wally no longer with team.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 05:25:18 PM »
NOT HAFFNER

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 05:28:37 PM »
Wally gets a full track scholly.  That's not all bad.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 05:33:00 PM »
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 05:39:48 PM by WarriorPride68 »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 05:34:00 PM »
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/wally-ellenson-no-longer-with-marquette-mens-basketball-team-b99711424z1-376626461.html

Sounds like he might not transfer but stay as a track athlete.  Since all he has left is one year of indoor track, which overlaps with basketball, he cannot play basketball and jump at the same time (that is if he wants to do one well).

If so, we still have not had a transfer in over a year.

Wally Ellenson, a 6-foot-6 redshirt junior guard, will not be a part of the Marquette men's basketball team next season, the program confirmed on Thursday. A dual-sport athlete in basketball and track and field — Ellenson is a four-time All-American in the high jump — he has one season of indoor track eligibility left entering 2016-'17 and can remain at Marquette on a full athletic scholarship if he chooses.

Ok, now I will read the thread about picking up another graduate transfer :)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 05:39:32 PM by Heisenberg »

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 05:38:52 PM »
Maybe they are freeing up a scholarship for Henry to return.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 05:39:22 PM »
Pole Vaulted, then?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 05:59:12 PM »
Wally gets a full track scholly.  That's not all bad.

Is this confirmed somewhere?  I'm more comfortable if MU has asked Wally to focus on what's clearly his best sport while maintaining a full ride for him to finish his Marquette degree.  I know he 'wanted' to play hoops but I do see Wojo's need and desire to field the best team possible.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 06:23:32 PM »
Clearly Prince's death expedited the release of this from the typical Friday news release.

DJO's Jaw

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 06:24:38 PM »
Clearly Prince's death expedited the release of this from the typical Friday news release.

To be honest, it's entirely possible that's true

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 06:43:43 PM »
Is this confirmed somewhere?  I'm more comfortable if MU has asked Wally to focus on what's clearly his best sport while maintaining a full ride for him to finish his Marquette degree.  I know he 'wanted' to play hoops but I do see Wojo's need and desire to field the best team possible.

From Matt V's article: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/wally-ellenson-no-longer-with-marquette-mens-basketball-team-b99711424z1-376626461.html

"Wally Ellenson, a 6-foot-6 redshirt junior guard, will not be a part of the Marquette men's basketball team next season, the program confirmed on Thursday. A dual-sport athlete in basketball and track and field — Ellenson is a four-time All-American in the high jump — he has one season of indoor track eligibility left entering 2016-'17 and can remain at Marquette on a full athletic scholarship if he chooses".
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2016, 06:58:39 PM »
Honestly, I'm feeling better about this knowing Wally's academic situation isn't being disrupted assuming he chooses to stay.  This fits in with what BD suggested a couple weeks back.  I don't think Wally has the right to expect that he'll be on the team next year if much of his two years already on campus was somewhat of a concession and where he certainly got special privileges not afforded to other basketball players.  For me, the availability of a full track ride for next year is a very big deal.

Thanks Wally.  Wear the track uniform proudly.  It's what you do best.  Prepare yourself to maximize that skill and earn your coveted Marquette degree before you leave.  In the end, that's your greatest treasure.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2016, 07:08:52 PM »
Wouldn't this be perfect, really?  Wally uses a track scholly, frees up a bball scholly, then walks on to the bball team.

I mean, I know he's off the team, but that seems workable.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2016, 07:11:10 PM »
That would be awesome. Really Wojo had to have mentioned to Wally that he was maybe 12 or 13th off the bench at this point. I'm bummed for Wally but how bummed will we all really be if he focuses on track and makes rio? Or he misses and walks on.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2016, 07:11:42 PM »
Wouldn't this be perfect, really?  Wally uses a track scholly, frees up a bball scholly, then walks on to the bball team.

Smoke and mirrors.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2016, 07:18:48 PM »

You can't be a walk on for basketball (or football) if you are on scholarship for track. NCAA violation.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2016, 07:26:56 PM »
New meme for the tourney eng.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2016, 07:29:22 PM »
damned buzz.    Oh, wait.....
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2016, 07:39:07 PM »

Sorry, Miami already stole that idea.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2016, 07:52:26 PM »
Meh, what do I know.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2016, 08:10:07 PM »

Currently Wally is in his fourth year of outdoor track.  He has no more eligibility.  He has one more year of indoor track, which runs November to March.  That overlaps with Basketball.

So while it is against NCAA rules as TAMU noted (or everyone can "stash" players in other sports with full rides to exceed the 13 scholarship limit), Wally cannot participate in two sports during the same season.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2016, 08:15:26 PM »

Isn't it well established that this cannot happen?
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2016, 09:37:11 PM »
Isn't it well established that this cannot happen?

NCAA doesn't allow it. Same with football. 
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2016, 10:33:27 PM »
By making this announcement now, is it fair to assume Wojo has someone in mind and we should hear really soon about another transfer?  Like in a week or so?

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2016, 07:16:30 AM »
I think this is the aspect of kicking Wally off that has not been discussed.  Wojo must be pretty darn sure that he can sign one or both of the guys coming in next week.  Otherwise if MU goes into next year with the roster as it currently stands and a wasted 1 year scholarship this will have been a very bad decision.  Wally would have provided at least someone to guard a #4 and some rebounding.  Why not interview and evaluate both these recruits, get a quiet verbal from one or both and then "have the talk with Wally" the day after you have a quiet verbal in hand.  It's not like doing it this way is going to make it any less obvious what the motivation is.  I hope our coach isn't getting a little over confident in his recruiting abilities.