collapse

* Recent Posts

More conference realignment talk by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:40:20 AM]

MU all-time defensive team? by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 08:34:57 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MUbiz
[Today at 08:32:42 AM]

NM by Hards Alumni
[Today at 08:29:58 AM]

What do Wisconsinites call people from Illinois? by Hards Alumni
[Today at 08:28:09 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Hards Alumni
[Today at 07:29:40 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by MU82
[June 19, 2024, 08:33:32 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: How Bad Is This For Georgetown?  (Read 26941 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: How Bad Is This For Georgetown?
« Reply #100 on: April 20, 2016, 09:29:22 AM »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #101 on: April 20, 2016, 09:57:58 AM »
Ignore option works great

The problem is, half of the discussion on this board revolves around yours and Heisy's provocations. I'd be completely lost with you two on ignore.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #102 on: April 20, 2016, 03:23:06 PM »
I don't know if he gambled as a player but his performance on the field was so good in so many ways for so long. As a player, if Mike Piazza and Ryne Sandberg are in the Hall then Pete Rose should get a VIP Pass.

Pete Rose is one of the top ten players of all time. He contributed far more to the game than Giamatti or Vincent ever did. If there is no evidence he gambled as a player then get him in the Hall.

As Chicos said, I believe in the last few months there has been evidence presented that he gambled on baseball when he was an active player. Quite disgraceful. He will never be in the Hall, nor should he.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #103 on: April 20, 2016, 03:28:07 PM »
The problem is, half of the discussion on this board revolves around yours and Heisy's provocations. I'd be completely lost with you two on ignore.

Trying to follow this board with Chico and Heisy on ignore would be like trying to read a book without the consonants.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #104 on: April 20, 2016, 03:48:51 PM »

I think you're lost all by yourself.   :)

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #105 on: April 20, 2016, 04:34:45 PM »
I was just curious. Turns out I was completely right.

Top Topic Starters
ChicosBailBonds 1777
Heisenberg 1756
TallTitan34 942
tower912 900
77ncaachamps 885
mu_hilltopper 658
SoCalwarrior 596
4everwarriors 526
keefe 480
rocky_warrior 476

tower912

• All American
« Reply #106 on: April 20, 2016, 06:40:30 PM »
Now I am feeling self conscious.   :-[ :-[
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #107 on: April 20, 2016, 09:23:10 PM »

Top Topic Starters
ChicosBailBonds 1777
Heisenberg 1756
TallTitan34 942
tower912 900
77ncaachamps 885
mu_hilltopper 658
SoCalwarrior 596
4everwarriors 526
keefe 480
rocky_warrior 476

That's awesome...didn't  know you could search for topic starters.  Someone has to lead and get folks chatting...we all have our crosses to bear.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #108 on: April 20, 2016, 10:42:48 PM »
That's awesome...didn't  know you could search for topic starters.  Someone has to lead and get folks chatting...we all have our crosses to bear.

Thanks for your leadership. We're all deeply in your debt. Out of curiosity, how heavy is that cross? It needn't be tall, but I'm sure it weighs a ton - it has to support such an enormous horse's backside.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #109 on: April 20, 2016, 11:26:51 PM »
Coleman, just think, you only get me for small timely doses...I'm in and out.

Most time spent on MUScoop

The Sultan of Sunshine 341d 21h 40m
Frenns Liquor Depot  280d 10h 22m
Dr. Blackheart  224d 8h 24m
Lennys Tap  211d 2h 13m
nyg  197d 4h 1m
ChicosBailBonds  167d 16h 10m
rocky_warrior 166d 19h 6m
MUfan12 163d 11h 26m
Pakuni 160d 19h 38m
4everwarriors 160d 17h 36m

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #110 on: April 20, 2016, 11:38:53 PM »
Coleman, just think, you only get me for small timely doses...I'm in and out.

Most time spent on MUScoop

The Sultan of Sunshine 341d 21h 40m
Frenns Liquor Depot  280d 10h 22m
Dr. Blackheart  224d 8h 24m
Lennys Tap  211d 2h 13m
nyg  197d 4h 1m
ChicosBailBonds  167d 16h 10m
rocky_warrior 166d 19h 6m
MUfan12 163d 11h 26m
Pakuni 160d 19h 38m
4everwarriors 160d 17h 36m

I'm on the internet most of the day for work - Scoop is almost always "open" but it's usually in the background.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #111 on: April 20, 2016, 11:41:34 PM »
That 4ever is a rabble rouser...

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #112 on: April 20, 2016, 11:53:40 PM »
Thanks for your leadership. We're all deeply in your debt. Out of curiosity, how heavy is that cross? It needn't be tall, but I'm sure it weighs a ton - it has to support such an enormous horse's backside.

I love Scoop. God help me I do love it so...

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #113 on: April 21, 2016, 12:01:55 AM »
I love Scoop. God help me I do love it so...

Lenny's daughter I met a few times when she was a student and I was in athletics.  Charming gal, KH, very nice, part of Student Athletic Club that we created.  Really great.  Goes to show you can't pick your parents. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #114 on: April 21, 2016, 07:49:35 AM »
I'm on the internet most of the day for work - Scoop is almost always "open" but it's usually in the background.

Ditto.  Come here when I am writing.  Believe it or not, this nonsense helps me gather my thoughts.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #115 on: April 21, 2016, 08:17:36 AM »

Top Topic Starters
ChicosBailBonds 1777
Heisenberg 1756
TallTitan34 942
tower912 900
77ncaachamps 885
mu_hilltopper 658
SoCalwarrior 596
4everwarriors 526
keefe 480
rocky_warrior 476

Betting Heisy's recent surge puts him in the lead soon.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #116 on: April 21, 2016, 08:55:31 AM »
The topic starts graphed over time since joining Scoop would be compelling. Have there been different era's of Scoop in which certain posters seem to hold sway? Also the density of the topics started would be interesting as well i.e. you may start a lot of threads but if nobody shows up what does it matter?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #117 on: April 21, 2016, 09:28:44 AM »

Same here.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #118 on: April 21, 2016, 09:35:47 AM »
I believe the moderators said here a few years ago that if you have it in the background, after a certain amount of time of "inactivity", the clock stops running.  I'll have to find the post, but that statement could be wrong....or I could be remembering it wrong.

Either way, it is good to know the commitment here to Scoop!  Well done, all.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #119 on: April 21, 2016, 09:48:05 AM »

Even Christ had Simon help carry his cross. Feel free to take a breather.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #120 on: September 10, 2016, 06:40:20 AM »

Descendants of slaves sold to benefit Georgetown call for a $1 billion foundation for reconciliation

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grade-point/wp/2016/09/08/descendants-of-slaves-sold-by-georgetown-call-for-a-1-billion-foundation-for-reconciliation/?ICID=ref_fark&utm_content=link&utm_medium=website&utm_source=fark#comments

A group of descendants of slaves sold by Jesuits in the 19th century to benefit Georgetown University called on both the university and Maryland Jesuits to do more to promote reconciliation after the horrors of slavery, asking to create a charitable foundation.

The descendants proposed a $1 billion foundation and announced that they had raised $115,000 in seed money, an amount equivalent to the 1838 sales price for the 272 people sold to pay off a debt. That amount is equivalent to about $3 million in today’s dollars.

Last week, Georgetown’s president announced that it would apologize for the university’s role in the slave trade, give an admissions preference to descendants of the 272 slaves, name two buildings in honor of those enslaved people and create a memorial. Georgetown was responding to a report from a group of faculty members, staff, students and alumni that examined the university’s historical ties to slavery.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #121 on: September 10, 2016, 06:59:21 AM »
Descendants of slaves sold to benefit Georgetown call for a $1 billion foundation for reconciliation

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grade-point/wp/2016/09/08/descendants-of-slaves-sold-by-georgetown-call-for-a-1-billion-foundation-for-reconciliation/?ICID=ref_fark&utm_content=link&utm_medium=website&utm_source=fark#comments

A group of descendants of slaves sold by Jesuits in the 19th century to benefit Georgetown University called on both the university and Maryland Jesuits to do more to promote reconciliation after the horrors of slavery, asking to create a charitable foundation.

The descendants proposed a $1 billion foundation and announced that they had raised $115,000 in seed money, an amount equivalent to the 1838 sales price for the 272 people sold to pay off a debt. That amount is equivalent to about $3 million in today’s dollars.

Last week, Georgetown’s president announced that it would apologize for the university’s role in the slave trade, give an admissions preference to descendants of the 272 slaves, name two buildings in honor of those enslaved people and create a memorial. Georgetown was responding to a report from a group of faculty members, staff, students and alumni that examined the university’s historical ties to slavery.

There is so much about slavery that people either do not understand or choose to ignore. 
 First of all, most of the original slaves came from the Caribbean, not Africa.  Secondly, initially, it was an accepted practice which rightly so over time became a wrong.  By the mid 1800's it began to be abolished; again, rightly so

All these hand wringers thinking they are showing a "kind heart" by throwing money at it today are thinking they can pay away their guilt. Tell me, how much money is enough to say, o.k. We're good here now, right?  It'll never happen. There's a sucker born every minute.  There are many people who don't even know what slavery is or was trying to capitalize on it yet today because, well, money solves everything, Eyn'a?  Just ask Sean's buddy Hugo and family
don't...don't don't don't don't

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #122 on: September 10, 2016, 08:14:33 AM »
With the risk of swerving off political, the underlying objective of all of these initiatives, whether it be the global warming crowd, the reparations crowd, and numerous others is simply to redistribute wealth from one group to another.  The $1.0 billion foundation is plain evidence of that.  Why not $10 billion?  Why not $100 billion? And who decides?  Of course this is unlike actual civil litigation where actual damages, the rules of evidence and the rule of law are supposed to be the determining factor as arbitrated by a theoretically impartial judge or jury. (I often worry about the latter and it's exactly why ALL bank docs compel the borrower to waive a jury right.) 

But how do we determine how much 'I' damaged the environment last week and who exactly do I pay?  Similarly, is 'my' application to GTown denied because a less qualified 10th generation decedent of slaves is reserved an automatic space?  Or is my tuition to said institution bumped up $5,000 so I can pay for the sins of 200 years ago?  Were they my sins?  Best I can figure it my grandfather had a grade school education and worked at Milwaukee Drop Forge.  And I know he didn't own any slaves.     

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #123 on: September 10, 2016, 09:28:17 AM »
With the risk of swerving off political, the underlying objective of all of these initiatives, whether it be the global warming crowd, the reparations crowd, and numerous others is simply to redistribute wealth from one group to another.  The $1.0 billion foundation is plain evidence of that.  Why not $10 billion?  Why not $100 billion? And who decides?  Of course this is unlike actual civil litigation where actual damages, the rules of evidence and the rule of law are supposed to be the determining factor as arbitrated by a theoretically impartial judge or jury. (I often worry about the latter and it's exactly why ALL bank docs compel the borrower to waive a jury right.) 

Did you read the article?  It would be a charity accepting donations from individuals and organizations.  There aren't proposing any law that I am aware of that would force anyone to contribute and isn't calling for tax money to be used for reparations or anything like that.

But how do we determine how much 'I' damaged the environment last week and who exactly do I pay?  Similarly, is 'my' application to GTown denied because a less qualified 10th generation decedent of slaves is reserved an automatic space?  Or is my tuition to said institution bumped up $5,000 so I can pay for the sins of 200 years ago?  Were they my sins?  Best I can figure it my grandfather had a grade school education and worked at Milwaukee Drop Forge.  And I know he didn't own any slaves.     

Yes.  Someone should create a foundation for the oppressed white man.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: How Bad Is This For Georgetown
« Reply #124 on: September 10, 2016, 10:21:37 AM »
Did you read the article?  It would be a charity accepting donations from individuals and organizations.  There aren't proposing any law that I am aware of that would force anyone to contribute and isn't calling for tax money to be used for reparations or anything like that.

From the article

He said the specifics of the foundation’s goals should come in partnership with the university and the Jesuits. Another lead organizer, Richard Cellini, said they hope the $1 billion that it their goal would be raised from 10 to 15 institutions that benefited from long ties to slavery, and that ideally the money would be jointly managed and directed by Georgetown, the Jesuits and descendants.

It's a shakedown operation with Georgetown's endowment as the primary target.