collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: USC is weird  (Read 5454 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: USC is weird
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2016, 09:19:40 AM »
Re: Sark - everyone in Seattle knew about Sark's penchant for drink and women. His $20,000 bar tabs are not fiction.

Haden should have known that Sark was out of control. I know for a fact that he was under scrutiny at UDub for many things.

USC knew about the issues as well, and unfortunately all too often people think they can get others help, etc....that it will work here, etc.   We can all rattle off a gazillion examples in sports, business, etc....and many times those individuals have "corrected" their ways, that's why so many keep showing that compassion to do it.   And many times it is a gigantic risk.

I'll just repeat that USC football money is controlled essentially by about 7 individuals, for the most part.  Their sway is enormous, and they wanted whom they wanted.  In a bit of irony, years ago these folks didn't want Pete Carrol, but then again USC in general was turned down so many times back then and when the got Carrol they were panned coast to coast.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2016, 12:03:12 PM »
USC knew about the issues as well, and unfortunately all too often people think they can get others help, etc....that it will work here, etc.   We can all rattle off a gazillion examples in sports, business, etc....and many times those individuals have "corrected" their ways, that's why so many keep showing that compassion to do it.   And many times it is a gigantic risk.

I'll just repeat that USC football money is controlled essentially by about 7 individuals, for the most part.  Their sway is enormous, and they wanted whom they wanted.  In a bit of irony, years ago these folks didn't want Pete Carrol, but then again USC in general was turned down so many times back then and when the got Carrol they were panned coast to coast.

Perhaps there's a lesson in there.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2016, 02:17:20 PM »
In a bit of irony, years ago these folks didn't want Pete Carrol, but then again USC in general was turned down so many times back then and when the got Carrol they were panned coast to coast.

And how did that turn out?

Death on call

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2016, 07:45:30 PM »
The one thing we know about SC is that their football program goes through up and down cycles. However, the up cycles are so tremendously good their is very little damage that the down cycles can inflict.

SC used football to build up the stature of the overall institution to the point that the school is now aspirational for many, instead of just being the University of Spoiled Children back in the day.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2016, 10:36:04 AM »
The one thing we know about SC is that their football program goes through up and down cycles. However, the up cycles are so tremendously good their is very little damage that the down cycles can inflict.

SC used football to build up the stature of the overall institution to the point that the school is now aspirational for many, instead of just being the University of Spoiled Children back in the day.

My folks met at SC where my father played baseball. The SC football team has been a machine since at least the '30's. I would hardly characterize SC as a Johnny Come Lately to the ranks of college football's elite.

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2016, 06:55:26 PM »
And how did that turn out?

Depends whom you ask.  They got their national titles, and they also got hammered by the NCAA. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2016, 08:41:17 PM »
Depends whom you ask.  They got their national titles, and they also got hammered by the NCAA.

I think he also raised their floor.  USC was pretty mediocre all through the 90s with the exception of Robinson's first 2-3 years in his second stint.  Going a game or two over 500 consistently will now get you canned at USC while that was a regular outcome for awhile before Carroll

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2016, 09:51:48 AM »
My folks met at SC where my father played baseball. The SC football team has been a machine since at least the '30's. I would hardly characterize SC as a Johnny Come Lately to the ranks of college football's elite.

Exactly.
USC is 10th all time in wins among FBS programs, despite playing fewer games than anyone else in the top 20.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2016, 01:27:49 PM »

I don't think anyone was characterizing them as Johnny Come Lately.

At any rate, as much as I loathe USC, I give them and Pat Haden props for this yesterday.  Great story.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/pac12/2016/04/16/jake-olson-blind-usc-long-snapper-college-football/83102462/