collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The rise of the ‘gentleman’s A’ and the GPA arms race  (Read 6734 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: The rise of the ‘gentleman’s A’ and the GPA arms race
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2016, 01:39:46 PM »
But not "everyone" gets an 'A.'  In reality grade inflation turns an "average" GPA from 2.0 to a 2.6 or something like that.  It just ups the scale but it by and large still differentiates students from one another.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2016, 01:40:33 PM »
I don't see how this is a problem that not every student can earn an A. It's sort of the entire point of grades.

Proficiency is binary... "pass" or "fail." Grades, or "a particular level of rank, quality, proficiency, intensity, or value" is relative and differentiates among those who pass. It's the point of the thing; to convey additional information about a candidate relative to her classmates.

A fixed curve gives information of what an A means. If anyone can get an A (there were classes at MU like this), then it doesn't say anything other than "this person passed." But if you know that the curve is anchored at a 3, an A means a tremendous amount.

Scarcity increases "value," and it seems that's the real debate here. If grades are of no value, then get rid of them and go to Pass/Fail.

A fixed curve only gives information about what an A means if the consumer of the grades knows what the fixed curve was. If most hiring managers, or HR algorithms, or grad/pro-school admission algorithms and admissions panels have no idea that a 3.5 at a forced curve school = a 4.0 at a non-forced curve school, then the 3.5 is not valued appropriately by the only people who matter.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2016, 01:51:47 PM »
But not "everyone" gets an 'A.'  In reality grade inflation turns an "average" GPA from 2.0 to a 2.6 or something like that.  It just ups the scale but it by and large still differentiates students from one another.

Right. Getting a 4.0 throughout college is still incredibly rare and difficult. Granted, it has been 8 years since I left MU but I believe there were only 2 or 3 students in my graduating class who did this, and they were honored at graduation.

The curve has just shifted from the quartiles being 2.0, 2.5, 3.0. 3.5 (flatter curve) to something like 2.75, 3.0, 3.5, 3.75 (sharper curve). Class rank is still very relevant.

I always viewed ABs as Bs, and Bs as really more of a C. It honestly took the pressure off a little bit. Because I knew you had to really f*ck up to get worse than a B at Marquette.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 01:56:05 PM by Coleman »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2016, 04:43:00 PM »
Given that an extremely small number of transfers are even taken at Harvard, and that Princeton accepts less than 10% of applicants, I can't see how this would matter at all. They're not going to suddenly be unable to fill their classes with extremely qualified candidates.

Anyone choosing to go to Harvard over Princeton (or similar schools) likely has a very wide group of options. That would be an incredibly narrow set of criteria to change universities.

I just don't feel I've seen anything close to evidence that tier 1 Universities are under actual pressure or risk by setting a forced curve.

I agree with you but I was pointing out the Princeton said they tried to clamp down on grade inflation.  They got tons of complaints, some of which I noted above, and Princeton caved.

The point is Princeton tried and failed to reign in grade inflation and those were some of their reasons.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2016, 04:49:29 PM »
Two thoughts:  1) grade inflation in HS is, in my opinion, one of the main reasons for the increased reliance upon standardized tests (ACT, SAT, AP) by colleges -- they simply don't know whether a 4.2 from one school is better or worse than a 4.7 (WTF?) from another; and 2) when we consider candidates from the two local law schools, we are well aware that the more highly regarded school inflates it's grades to a ridiculous degree (i.e., a 3.0 student from CSU is quite likely at least equivalent to a 3.5 from CWRU -- students at CSU have to earn their A's).

I have a friend that lives in Atlanta.  In Georgia a HS graduate going to U of Georgia has a "B" average throughout HS, they go to Georgia for $1,000/year (vs $9,000/year instate).  "A" and it's free.

This leads to out of control grade inflation ... poor family appeals directly to teacher ... want to send kid to Georgia but cannot afford it.  A couple of grade inflated "A" will dramatically cut the cost and make it possible.  Hard for a caring teacher to say no.

So back to my friend in Atlanta.  His daughter went to a public HS.  They graded are on a 0 - 100 scale (as opposed to the more conventional 4.0 scale).  Since finished HS with a 83 average.  To me 83 sounds like a B to B- average grade.  She was in the lower-third of her graduating class.

Illinois has floated this same idea from time to time.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 04:51:10 PM by Heisenberg »

brandx

« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2016, 05:12:36 PM »
If an institution's grade inflation is egregious (from what I've heard Harvard is like this), then only the name of the school will matter.

I think the name of the school matters because they only accept the best students. If you are outside of the top 1% at your HS, chances are that Harvard is not going to accept you. In other words, straight A's in AP or IB classes or you're out. And they are extremely picky when looking at ACT or SAT scores as well.

Companies want Ivy school graduates for a reason. They are kids who have proved their academic excellence from a young age.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2016, 05:42:52 PM »
I think the name of the school matters because they only accept the best students. If you are outside of the top 1% at your HS, chances are that Harvard is not going to accept you. In other words, straight A's in AP or IB classes or you're out. And they are extremely picky when looking at ACT or SAT scores as well.

Companies want Ivy school graduates for a reason. They are kids who have proved their academic excellence from a young age.

Harvard is no better or worse than any other Ivy or elite institution.

brandx

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2016, 08:55:25 PM »
Harvard is no better or worse than any other Ivy or elite institution.

I agree. I just used them as an example.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2016, 10:31:26 PM »
I agree. I just used them as an example.

Same. I feel like I heard that grade inflation is common there, so I named them. Nothing specific though.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2016, 11:15:53 PM »

Have you led HR strategy for a company?
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

feedback