[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Parrish: Coaches Shouldn't Stay Too Long  (Read 5523 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Parrish: Coaches Shouldn't Stay Too Long
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2016, 04:14:48 PM »
That's ridiculous.

Let's say that an engineering student plans to attend University A because he really wants to study under Dr. Engineer. Two months prior to the student's high school graduation, Dr. Engineer accepts a similar position at University B. Should Univ A's engineering department block the student from following Dr. Engineer to attend Univ B? I mean, the student had committed to the university, not the professor, right?

Merrit's, I agree that the idea is a bad one. But this is a terrible example. Two radically different situations.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2016, 06:51:38 PM »
I could see an exception for a coach that gets fired. However, a fired coach probably was not recruiting well in the first place. I know a player may make his final choice based on the coach. However, he should also be picking the school and I do not feel sorry for him, if his decision was entirley based on the coach. Besides that I am sure the coach told him when he was recruiting him that he was not going to leave for another school, so there is some dishonesty in the whole process.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2016, 07:44:44 PM »
It would seem to me that there is a pretty direct correlation to staying longer and having more success.

Unless, of course, the coach is in a stepping stone job.  Successful coaches who move on are often reviled more than fired coaches because they raise the possibility in the minds of their past school's fans that the school's HC position is a stepping stone job.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2016, 07:52:30 PM »
Coaches should stay a minimum of 5 or 6 years, much like Buzz but they should leave the program in good shape if they do.  TC did, Buzz did not.  Coaches can tell
the future as they know how recruits think when they are sophomores, so coaches can see if it is worth it or not.  Wojo got Ellenson, not sure Buzz would have and for
sure would not have gotten Stone.  The recruits that left MU after Buzz left have not been overly impressive..   I believe the writing was on the wall when he was not
able to keep McKay.  McKay is a difference maker.  He made a big mistake on that one.  McKay did not want to play center, the big joke here, is that is exactly the position he played at Iowa St.  He plays like a center, has no outside game.  The redshirt year or transfer year did not change his game at all.

So if McKay excelled at center at Iowa State, how did Buzz make a mistake by putting McKay there?

McKay excelling somewhere else playing a position he was not willing to play at MU is reminiscent of the situation with Jeronnie Maymon wanting to play off guard at MU and ending up playing PF at Tennessee.  Sometimes a player has to move on to a new place to learn that his evaluation of his best position isn't shared by those paid for a living to make those determinations.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2016, 07:59:37 PM »
This is why I have said the last 3 or 4 years, a certain coach at IU will leave on his own terms, not be fired.  Just my prediction. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2016, 09:30:14 PM »
A few more exceptions?

Mike Brey
      Bo Ryan
      Tom Izzo
      Bill Self

Bob McKillop
Steve Fischer
Mark Few
Jim Boeheim
Rick Byrd (Belmont)
Kevin Stallings
Phil Martelli

Death on call

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2016, 01:30:13 PM »
My Gawd, somebody stayed in the seventies too long.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2016, 02:03:04 PM »
The professor would have most definitely used the school's money and resources to entice the student. It likely wouldn't have been directly in a recruiting process but the professor's work which drew the student's attention was done at the school with its resources.

There is no parallel between the two cases.

Death on call

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2016, 02:28:30 PM »
Cronin fookin' didn't overstay his welcome in Vegas. Mofo pulled a Mike Newell, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2016, 02:33:58 PM »
Cronin fookin' didn't overstay his welcome in Vegas. Mofo pulled a Mike Newell, ai na?

Not sure who willingly decides to stay in Cincinnati, but that's his call.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2016, 03:42:51 PM »
Not sure who willingly decides to stay in Cincinnati, but that's his call.

He's an alum and from the area

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2016, 05:34:56 PM »
Like Crean he poached some of the recruits, which I still think there should be an NCAA rule that signed recruits cannot follow a coach to a new school.

The NLI (for those incoming kids who have signed one) effectively does this... the problem is if a school played by the NLI rules, they'd be stoned by the masses.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.