Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: How far away were we? [to the NCAA tourney...]  (Read 13118 times)

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
Re: How far away were we? [to the NCAA tourney...]
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2016, 01:26:41 PM »
FWIW, Katz says Marquette can play their way in if they make it to the Big East title game and lose. I think that's an exceedingly optimistic scenario.
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=14919495

That being said, if it came to pass, MU would be a 22-13 team with 6 wins against the RPI Top 50.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2016, 01:27:52 PM »
Did he eat too much real chili?

Guy just got an extension. His seat is ice cold
I agree, the school administrators are in love with him. In fact I think the opposite may be the case, A power 5 conference with an opening may find Wojo very appealing especially if he gets that 20 win optic. Minnesota   8-)
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2016, 01:33:21 PM »
FWIW, Katz says Marquette can play their way in if they make it to the Big East title game and lose. I think that's an exceedingly optimistic scenario.

That being said, if it came to pass, MU would be a 22-13 team with 6 wins against the RPI Top 50.

I think Katz is way off base....and I"m an eternal optimist.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2016, 02:07:53 PM »

LOL.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2016, 02:14:21 PM »

Maybe Andy is Wojo's new Goodman.  Other than that maybe he is just crazy - I've always thought that anyway.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2016, 02:21:45 PM »
Maybe Andy is Wojo's new Goodman.  Other than that maybe he is just crazy - I've always thought that anyway.

From a 10,000 foot view, I get where he is coming from - our resume good win for good win / bad loss for bad loss is on par with the other teams on the ubble. But the numbers just aren't going to be there for MU, even in this scenario.  If we're going to get the championship, lets just win the damn thing.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2016, 02:25:29 PM »
First of all, the schedule left us with zero margin for error. Tower points out had we beat Belmont, Creighton, and DePaul at home we'd be in. That's probably true, but those are the ONLY three games we lost that were decided by two possessions or less all season.

Marquette went 7-3 in one possession games and 11-3 in two possession games. Because of the weak schedule and subsequently weak RPI and SOS numbers, we couldn't afford to lose any of the games that were decided in the final minute.

Next...to address TAMU's comments about not looking like a tournament team...
  • Pittsburgh lost at home to RPI 121 NC State and went 0-4 against the top four teams (UNC, Virginia, Miami, Louisville) in their conference.
  • Butler lost at home to RPI 108 Marquette and went 0-4 against the top two teams ('Nova, Xavier) in their conference.
  • Syracuse lost at home to RPI 117 Clemson and went 0-5 against the top four teams (UNC, Virginia, Miami, Louisville) in their conference.
  • Florida lost to RPI 148 Tennessee (albeit on the road) and went 1-7 against the top five teams (Kentucky, A&M, South Carolina, Vandy, LSU) in their conference. The one win was against a LSU team projected out of the field.
  • Ohio State lost to RPI 101 UT-Arlington at home and went 0-6 against the top four teams (Indiana, MSU, Purdue, Maryland) in their league.
All of those teams are currently on Lunardi's bubble. Some will get in, some won't. But I don't think we're that much worse than any of them.

For me, the good news is that while we're not close to the NCAA Tourney (I don't think a BET Final would get it done and don't think we make it there anyway) I do think we have a real shot at playing in the NIT or at worst, Las Vegas. Either would be an improvement on the past two years. I'm fine with deferring our return to the NCAAs another year. I think we'll look much better with some of these kids getting another offseason to grow up. Even if Hank leaves.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Hubert Davis

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2016, 02:47:37 PM »
Did he eat too much real chili?

Guy just got an extension. His seat is ice cold

Which goes to show that our administration/ athletic department is a joke. They rewarded Wojo with an extension for accomplishing what?? .... going 11-2 vs a bunch of cupcakes. Pathetic PR move by the athletic department.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2016, 03:38:02 PM »
Which goes to show that our administration/ athletic department is a joke. They rewarded Wojo with an extension for accomplishing what?? .... going 11-2 vs a bunch of cupcakes. Pathetic PR move by the athletic department.

Al, I don't want get too personal with you, but... maybe in your afterlife, you should spend less time on Scoop and more time on your son...

Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2016, 03:51:41 PM »
This entire season is an indictment of whoever does MU's scheduling. Awful, awful work.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2016, 05:17:41 PM »
The DePaul and Creighton losses were killers. Those put MU under .500 in the conference. If MU is sitting at 21-10, 10-8 in conf, they're in bubble range. The fact that MU slipped in those games (and against Belmont and at Gtwon), confirms that this simply isn't a Tourney team.

The games that cost us whatever shot we had at the NCAAs were:

1) Belmont -- Overrated team, should have been a victory. We knew back in November this was not a good loss but thought, OK, we had a whole season to recover.
 2) Iowa -- This was so ugly and it was on national television. One of those  moments way-back-when that even if we had been close, someone on the selection committee inevitably would have brought this woofer up.
 3) Georgetown/Away -- We were on the road playing a team we should have beaten. We didn't. This one hurt a lot more than we thought it would last January.
 4) DePaul/Home -- This was the low point of the season. No way, no how we should have lost this one. This was a killer, period. Ditto for Creighton/Home.
 5) Butler/Away -- A bookend to Iowa. Even if we had done everything well, this game was so bad that we had no chance, even if we had defeated DePaul and Creighton.

It didn't help us that we didn't beat any of Seton Hall, Villanova or Xavier in the six games we played these three teams.

Honestly, we never had a chance this year. Think of a team as a boat on the ocean. You're either headed toward the goal and the harbor or you're drifting away. We  didn't have a concept of where we were going or didn't know what it took to overcome the tides, the rocks and anything else in the way. I think more than anything else, we just drifted away.

Hopefully, Wojo will toughen this team next year.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2016, 06:35:54 PM »

1) Belmont -- Overrated team, should have been a victory. We knew back in November this was not a good loss but thought, OK, we had a whole season to recover.
 2) Iowa -- This was so ugly and it was on national television. One of those  moments way-back-when that even if we had been close, someone on the selection committee inevitably would have brought this woofer up.
 3) Georgetown/Away -- We were on the road playing a team we should have beaten. We didn't. This one hurt a lot more than we thought it would last January.
 4) DePaul/Home -- This was the low point of the season. No way, no how we should have lost this one. This was a killer, period. Ditto for Creighton/Home.
 5) Butler/Away -- A bookend to Iowa. Even if we had done everything well, this game was so bad that we had no chance, even if we had defeated DePaul and Creighton.

It didn't help us that we didn't beat any of Seton Hall, Villanova or Xavier in the six games we played these three teams.

Honestly, we never had a chance this year. Think of a team as a boat on the ocean. You're either headed toward the goal and the harbor or you're drifting away. We  didn't have a concept of where we were going or didn't know what it took to overcome the tides, the rocks and anything else in the way. I think more than anything else, we just drifted away.

Almost all of MUs games are on national television.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2016, 07:38:35 PM »
I agree, the school administrators are in love with him. In fact I think the opposite may be the case, A power 5 conference with an opening may find Wojo very appealing especially if he gets that 20 win optic. Minnesota   8-)

Wojo has a history of turning down programs like Minny.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2016, 07:43:59 PM »
The schedule did not give us much of a chance. However, losing to Belmont and beating the next bunny in overtime probably showed the schedule was appropriate. The team did have some high points this season, but they never were an NCAA tournament team.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2016, 09:11:29 PM »
The schedule did not give us much of a chance. However, losing to Belmont and beating the next bunny in overtime probably showed the schedule was appropriate. The team did have some high points this season, but they never were an NCAA tournament team.

The first two games are not a good indication of a team that got what, 75% of their scoring from underclassmen?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2016, 09:37:55 PM »
Next...to address TAMU's comments about not looking like a tournament team...
  • Pittsburgh lost at home to RPI 121 NC State and went 0-4 against the top four teams (UNC, Virginia, Miami, Louisville) in their conference.
  • Butler lost at home to RPI 108 Marquette and went 0-4 against the top two teams ('Nova, Xavier) in their conference.
  • Syracuse lost at home to RPI 117 Clemson and went 0-5 against the top four teams (UNC, Virginia, Miami, Louisville) in their conference.
  • Florida lost to RPI 148 Tennessee (albeit on the road) and went 1-7 against the top five teams (Kentucky, A&M, South Carolina, Vandy, LSU) in their conference. The one win was against a LSU team projected out of the field.
  • Ohio State lost to RPI 101 UT-Arlington at home and went 0-6 against the top four teams (Indiana, MSU, Purdue, Maryland) in their league.
All of those teams are currently on Lunardi's bubble. Some will get in, some won't. But I don't think we're that much worse than any of them.

Brew, I appreciate it but none of those bad losses are as bad as a home loss to Depaul. And besides Ohio State, none of those match the 0-6 mark. You know me, I'm an optimist. I bleed blue and gold. But when I look at this team, I don't see anything that tells me its a tournament team. I've seen plenty of flashes but they are nowhere near consistent enough.

The schedule was bad and you're right, it definitely left us no margin for error. But just like those who say the team is great, Wojo just sucks, I think its a way to ignore the true issue. Our team wasn't good enough this season. Its easy to blame bad coaching or bad scheduling. But the real reason we aren't dancing is because we have a young team with lots of potential but too many flaws to make the tournament this season.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2016, 10:25:03 PM »
Wojo has a history of turning down programs like Minny.

Oklahoma State?Boone still has some money.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2016, 05:32:45 AM »
Brew, I appreciate it but none of those bad losses are as bad as a home loss to Depaul. And besides Ohio State, none of those match the 0-6 mark. You know me, I'm an optimist. I bleed blue and gold. But when I look at this team, I don't see anything that tells me its a tournament team. I've seen plenty of flashes but they are nowhere near consistent enough.

The schedule was bad and you're right, it definitely left us no margin for error. But just like those who say the team is great, Wojo just sucks, I think its a way to ignore the true issue. Our team wasn't good enough this season. Its easy to blame bad coaching or bad scheduling. But the real reason we aren't dancing is because we have a young team with lots of potential but too many flaws to make the tournament this season.

I'd say Pitt, Syracuse, and Florida are pretty darn close, considering they all play unbalanced schedules. If you take out LSU, UF was 0-6 against the top three in the SEC (since LSU won't be dancing).

All I'm saying is our resume isn't that different from teams currently in the discussion.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2016, 06:14:11 AM »

Wooohoooo, we got this.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2016, 09:03:14 AM »

Respectfully disagree with a couple of these.

The Iowa game had no bearing on MU's NCAAT chances. Iowa has been a top 20 team for 10 weeks and peaked at #3. No harm in losing that one, regardless of the score, especially in November.

If MU had beaten Belmont, DePaul and Gtown/Creighton, then the Butler game would have been big. Since they didn't, it was inconsequential.

feedback