[Today at 07:02:21 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:32:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Joe Nethen  (Read 21818 times)

reesiecup210

Joe Nethen
« on: December 17, 2007, 11:48:52 PM »
I saw he got a few votes for favorite player. Any particular reasons? I was too young to see him play and I have certain motives for wanting to know some good stories about him.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: Joe Nethen
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 08:55:37 AM »
SS Marquette

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 12:44:18 PM »
He was perhaps the most candid and straight-forward athlete one could meet met.

If you ever see him ask him why he chose to go to Marquette and what he did on his campus visit. Dukiet put him up at the luxurious "West" Tower that night. I dare not repeat it here.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 12:51:27 PM by Knight Commission »

JetCityWarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 12:45:44 PM »
Joe used to walk around campus in all black with combat boots and a mohawk.  He had a unique talent of accumulating at least 2 hard fouls for every minute played.

That's why he was a fan favorite.  He also played on arguably the worst MU teams ever assembled, so it was pretty easy to be a fan favorite.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 04:03:47 PM »
I've written this before, but as long as you need stories ..

He was in McCormick my freshman year.  One day, the elevators opened on the lobby, and Joe was already in elevator, presumably coming up from the basement.

Two odd things, first, he had a large roll of carpeting.  Perhaps he'd ripped it up from somewhere in the basement, and was putting wall-to-wall in his dorm room.

Second, he had no socks nor shoes on.  Mental note: Don't step on his toes.

Well, I get in, and we go up.  A few floors, the doors open, and I need to step back, which I did.  5 seconds later, I hear this "orrrrrrghhhh" and my life flashes before my eyes.  I'd stepped on his toes. 

I assume the 5 second delay was just how long it took for his toes to explain "ouch" to his brain.   I used the ensuing 3 seconds of delay to jump off the elevator as the doors shut.  Saving my life.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 04:47:48 PM »
I worked the cafeteria at McCormick all 4 years.   I am still in therapy from some of the unnatural things done to food that I witnessed.   Joe was in the hallway outside the cafeteria fighting like hell to get a walkman open to change the batteries before giving up and asking the Saga employee working the gate to help him.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 07:09:08 PM »
Joe is before my time.  What years did he play?

bma725

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 07:39:31 PM »
Joe is before my time.  What years did he play?

He actually played from 1988-90.  But he was also ineligible for a year as well.

reesiecup210

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 09:53:35 PM »
Thanks guys, I know Joe probably better than anyone here, I was just too young to ever see him play. He is definitely a character, and I can only imagine some of the stuff he probably did in his college days, but no one can argue that he isn't a genuinely nice guy. I'm just glad to hear that some people enjoyed him as much as I do.

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 10:23:56 PM »
Wasn't he some level of a Diaper Dandy? I also remember hearing a story about him post bars and a funny incident at Amigo's. I wasn't there so it might just have been rumor. The hair cut was the best!

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 10:30:20 PM »
Thanks guys, I know Joe probably better than anyone here

well perhaps you can touch base with him and update his wiki entry with some info..
http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/joe_nethen

;D
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

lscrimenti

• Walk-On
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 01:13:02 PM »
Greetings, everyone, this is Mr. Nethen.
My fiancee first saw all the comments posted, re: me, and brought them to my attention, so I will answer your inquiries myself. All these postings have provided a lot of laughter; I'd like to see more.
First of all, who are you, "reesiecup210", who "knows me better than anyone here"? I can't identify the old, bald guy in the photo. How could you be "too young" to have seen me play?
I am so glad you think I am a "genuinely nice guy".
I played from 87-90. I played very "physically" and loved to "entertain". I wasn't a thug; I loved to play hard and intimidate. Some guys talk sh**; I was physically aggressive.
Re: stepping on my foot in the elevator, I have a high tolerance for pain. Re: cafeteria, I have unusual eating habits. Re: reference to chair/person? thrown out of window at McCormick, it was a chair across the lounge, nothing out the window.
Some "incidents" may have occurred while imbibing, but I never hurt anyone. I loved all of my teammates, and we had a lot of fun, especially travelling. I'm all about having fun.
These "MU urban legends", of sorts, are highly exaggerated, and amusing.
God bless, and "be cool, stay in school, kids..."
Thanks. Talk soon.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 01:26:49 PM »
welcome aboard!!!

what you been up to since your college days?
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

nycwarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 01:33:38 PM »
can you guys imagine living a normal college lifestyle under the microscope of a D1 athlete?

as i look fondly back on being passed out on front lawn's, couches, getting thrown in the pseudo-holding cell below the old county stadium, burning couches behind the ranch, breaking windows because it seemed funny.

i'm sure nethen did some crap. we all did. most of us were just another guy in a t-shirt and jeans as opposed to the huge dude that everyone's seen on the court.

Warriors Forever

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 04:14:29 PM »
Joe,

Do you remember punching out the window in the door at Amigo's? The owner didn't care or was too scared to say anything. He just stood there and stared.

I miss the $1 chimis at bar time. I could only afford one.

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2008, 04:22:08 PM »
Does anyone remember the name of the owner of Amigos? That place was a classic. I can remember being in there after closing and having some fun. :-X

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2008, 05:42:57 PM »
Chimmi Jimmi, but for the life of me I can't remember his last name.

on another note: Jolton Joe Nethen.
He was the first guy I remember ever seeing lick and wet the bottom of his sneakers.
In fact, he may have been the only guy who did it by placing the shoe entirely in his mouth.

Now back to more urban legends....
 ;)

nethen50

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2008, 01:56:31 PM »
Hello, everyone, Mr. Nethen once again,
Yes, I did punch that window out in the door at Amigo's. Not an MU urban legend. It was my birthday (possibly), I had "one too many (and having a good time). An extremely ill-mannered young man walked past the window, and shot me the bird. Being slightly too inebriated to walk outside and get him, I made a gesture of punching at the window, and oops, my fist went through. Ten stitches. I paid Chimmi Jimmi for the broken window, and we were good friends during my college career.
Amigo's was my favorite, after-hours place.
Thank you, fellow athlete, for adding that we athletes were just like any other college students off the court; some of us, perhaps just a bit larger.
Does anyone remember "naked beer slides" at the Avalanche? These were  a sort of drunken college student "slip'n'slide", of sorts, where copious amounts of beer were dumped on the floor, participants got naked, ran, and well...you can picture it. I did one with the aforementioned "black combat boots", and skivvies; being "a college athlete", one did not want to be rumored to have "gotten naked" publicly.
Still trying unsuccessfully to jam my shoe in my mouth, with my "slow" brain (hardy, har, har)!
More stories please!
"Reesiecup210", where and who are you?
Is there anyone on here from back in the day? You know, during "arguably" the worst MU team ever assembled?"
Don't the priests and nuns teach you youngins' any manners and respect for your elders?
Love,  Your "portly, middle-aged" Uncle Joe     P.S. White men wear dreads.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 07:51:20 PM by nethen50 »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2008, 03:48:05 PM »
My one and only Joe Nethen story.  He probably doesn't even remember, it because it wasn't too big a deal, but he might.  I thought it was funny.

First semester Freshman year, I was in an intro communications class -- COPA something or other.  The morning of the final exam, my roommate and I were in the dining hall at McCormick.  We were both in the class, and were eating before heading out to take the final.  Joe came and sat down with us - I'm sure the only time I ever ate with him.  He commented that he was in that class and said, "I'm confident about this final...confident that I'm going to flunk the *$&%ing thing."  Or something like that.  We thought it was pretty funny.

So, Joe, how did you do on that final? 
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2008, 06:20:55 PM »
Joe:

One of my favorites was perhaps Ash Wednesday our freshman year. A bunch of us were coming up on the 'vator, the door opened, and there you were waiting. You noted,...why the f...k is do you have dirt on your heads?

You were alot more mellow our senior year at the Love apartments (I lived across the hall).

Our freshamn year I thought of you as a cartoon caracter. That all changed when I saw you once with your parents. That changed my whole impression of you--and showed me there was much more to Joe Nethen than the caraicature I saw at McCormick. 

BTW, your strongest performance was that game at Xavier your soph year. You were a force.

nethen50

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2008, 11:05:17 AM »
Mr. Nethen again,
Probably did flunk that f$%^ing exam.
Did you ever get "that f*&%ing dirt off of (your) heads"?
Thanks for the nice comment about  me with my parents. I'm not a Neanderthal. I just "played one" in college.
"Be cool, stay in school, kids..."

GoCavs

• Walk-On
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2008, 11:34:42 AM »
I have a Joe Nethen story (or 1 million, those were the best times).

Joe - do you remember Study Hall boxing night?  you got into 3 bouts with a tall NROTC floor-mate who shall go nameless (to protect the guilty) that were all classic. 

you guys had to see Joe in these fights (we had actual boxing gloves, so it was all okay); i believe him when he says he has a high pain-threshold.  there was no defense by either guy...better than any PPV you can get for $49.99

c1j1m

• Walk-On
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2008, 12:33:09 PM »
Another interesting story involved Joe joining the club football team for a couple of days. That was back when it was still possible to get your drunken high school buddies suited up for a game at the last minute. (Ithink the leading tackler on the team that year wasn't even in college, let alone Marquette.)

We lost all our games that year and that one wasn't any different. My father watched the slaughter and gave me a lift back to school and we ended up following the team bus back to MU. At one point Joe pressed his ass to the rear window. I can say with some certainty that Joe has two descended testicles.

I_miss_ASMU

• Walk-On
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2008, 03:58:53 PM »
Hey Joe -

You sound much more mellow now than you did back then.  I think we were on your wrong side somehow, and I remember that you used to play some "interesting" pranks back then.  Nothing more fun than being pennied into your dorm room by you, or having a watebasket of water tilted against your door so when you open the door you get flooded.  Or when you sent a box of your own crap through campus mail to this guy Chris who ended up transferring to another school after freshman year.  I also remember you making a lot of long distance phone calls by walking into people's rooms and just dialing the phone over their objections.  I'm sure I digress.  However, the funniest story I can think of was when Chris and I were on the vator and we went from the first floor down instead of up in McCormick our freshman year.  (Remember how that would happen now and then in there?  The arrow would say up and when you get in it went the other way?)  Anyhow, the door opened and you were standing there with your laundry.  Chris said, with a completely straight face, 'Joe, you don't want this one, its going down.', and you apologized, got off, and we went back up.

Hey, another random note.  Anyone remember that great water fight that 7th floor McCormick had with 7th floor Cobeen?  I remember it raining in the lobby and no vators for at least several days.  Good times!!!

nethen50

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2008, 12:23:16 PM »
Hi, folks. Mr. Nethen is back. Yes, hopefully one tends to be a bit more mellow at age 39.
Re: boxing: That was a blast. Would've been a good intramural sport.
Re: football: At that point, I had quit basketball, which I regret. I had never played football before. I sucked, and it was fun. I hope you and your father weren't scarred for life by that unsavory sight.
Re: water, pennies, etc.: my roomate and I were partners in crime. I believe we may have been drunk, again. At the time, it seemed funny. It came back to us too. I apologize.
I guess, if we're bringing up silly stuff...once in McCormick, I was dared by my roommate, to run a lap around the hall, naked and lathered up in soap. I did, and stopped in front of the vator doors as they were opening, hoping it was someone I knew. Instead, it was some kid with his parents, looking aghast in utter horror. I ran to our room, and my roommate had locked me out.
Re: "diaper? dandy": I played in the Dapper Dan Roundball Classic for Western PA Allstars; 13 points, 8 rebounds, team MVP.
Re: rude comparison to some "classless act", "Harangody"?, I have no "misbegotten sons". Just two wonderful ones.
Thanks. I hope to hear and share more good stories. Fun times!!!

feedback