[Today at 02:30:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dickthedribbler
[Today at 02:27:07 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by Big Papi
[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Valpo Post Game Interviews  (Read 5674 times)

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Valpo Post Game Interviews
« on: November 27, 2006, 09:20:14 PM »
Wesley Matthews

- A good game, Marquette was able to pull it out when the odds were against them.  Great learning tool for the future.

- Last shot, Valpo came out with a zone, Marquette had a backup plans, DJ wanted the ball, if he didn't have a shot he would dish it off.

- Marquette broke down a bit as a team, showed some immaturity.  When the big 3 had fouls, the rest weren't able to look up to them for what to do.  David had a great second half. Everybody got in the game and came out tough in the 2nd half.

- DJ was able to step it up, and put MU on their back the last few minutes. The team will move the ball and everybody will get touches.

MU gimp ONE

• Team Captain
Re: Valpo Post Game Interviews
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 09:26:33 PM »
this is the first time ive heard wes give an interview and i have to say that i was very impressed.  i always heard that he carries himself well and speaks highly about everyone, but that is selling him short.  it sounded like a coach speaking not a soph player.  he really is a special person/player.
"You know, most people would kill... to be treated like a god, just for a few moments." - Coach Norman Dale

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 09:28:43 PM »
Tom Crean

- DJ had a great performance.  A lot of things go into games like this that aren't apparent.  This is one of those games that transcends what happens on the court.  (sounded like he was choking up here...)

- Last night in practice they committed to shooting 75% or better for FTs.  They did it (77%), and will go from there.

- Could play the guys with fouls.  Didn't talk enough in 1st half, went for steals that weren't there.  Valpo shot 3s great.  A great test, a great win, but lots of studying to do.

- Barro had phenomenal game.  Barro was 18th in BE rebounds, and he took that stat to heart.  He's playing with a lot of confidence and fans should recognize his performance.

- MU was going to take the layup if Valpo was in man for last shot, otherwise it was up to DJ to run the play and make a decision.  He was left open, and took the shot.  Don't want people to focus on the score, but rather recognize that they got the win on the road.

- DJ needed to calm down, wasn't going to "go into it" (choked up again), but he got back into it.

So...what happened in the game (or before the game) with DJ?  Any insight?  Crean was REALLY choked up when talking about this, so there must have been something that happened?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 09:35:00 PM by rocky_warrior »

Tampa Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 09:29:29 PM »
this is the first time ive heard wes give an interview and i have to say that i was very impressed.  i always heard that he carries himself well and speaks highly about everyone, but that is selling him short.  it sounded like a coach speaking not a soph player.  he really is a special person/player.

Agreed. Very well-spoken young man.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 09:30:15 PM »
Agreed. Very well-spoken young man.

Ditto!

HomeCourtAdvantage

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 09:43:59 PM »
I love Wes.  The kid is a shining city on a hill of what we seek to be the true academic / athletic student athlete.  Well spoken, humble, and sincere.

DJ, on another point, is just flat-out-stud-r-iffic.  I wonder what happened before the game.
Sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 09:48:42 PM »
Just got back from the game.

I don't really know what was going on with James, but Crean hugged him for literally a minute straight. At one point Drew tried to talk to Crean, but just walked away as Crean and James were hugging.  It was weird.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 09:55:51 PM »
A few more things.  Box Score Here (gomarquette.com doesn't have one yet)

Also, one of those "ugh" things about the game from the AP recap:
Marquette outscored Valparaiso 26-16, but the Crusaders were 8-of-10 from 3-point range in the second half. Valpo's reserves outscored Marquette's bench 16-12.
Their bench outscored ours?!?!  Ugh.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 09:57:35 PM »
no problem.. did they happen to mention who won??  ;D
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2006, 11:39:37 AM »
A few more things.  Box Score Here (gomarquette.com doesn't have one yet)

Also, one of those "ugh" things about the game from the AP recap:
Marquette outscored Valparaiso 26-16, but the Crusaders were 8-of-10 from 3-point range in the second half. Valpo's reserves outscored Marquette's bench 16-12.
Their bench outscored ours?!?!  Ugh.

They had a starter (00) in big time foul trouble the whole game, so that might have contributed to that stat.  He looked like a go-to guy down low for them, and I think it really affected their game plan to have him out (i.e. the raining down of 3's upon us).

mu0804

• Walk-On
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2006, 11:51:44 AM »
did anyone ever figure out what was up with the long embrace between TC and James?

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2006, 02:23:12 PM »
happy to see we can pull out a win when we shoot terribly and the other team shoots over 50% from threes, although lets not make a habit of this
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2006, 08:53:06 PM »
TC did sound a bit verklempt.

couldn't tell if he was relieved, happy, pissed or constipated.
a win's a win.