Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Creighton Barreling  (Read 13354 times)

DUNKS45

• All American
  • never too old
Re: Creighton Barreling
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2016, 09:21:43 PM »
How did we win with one bucket in 11 minutes in 2nd half stretch.  Creighton bad, and we were tougher.

Right on RC83

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2016, 09:24:00 PM »
Right on RC83

And....sonoran salsa.  The GO TO salsa of MU Scoop!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2016, 09:24:31 PM »
Fair point.   If MU would have lost, I probably would have been kvetching about Henry's post efense.

That's well played ;D

Henry had a good offensive line tonight, but we really missed Luke on both ends. It's much harder to drive without Luke because Henry simply can't seal the lane like that.

Hank made up for it with his own scoring and mostly good shot selection, but we're a better team with Luke in there.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2016, 09:25:26 PM »
With another years experience we win that game going away.  I don't know why Creighton doesn't shoot well against us but I'll take it.
The officiating was just terrible.  The non-Travel (they pointed to the guy who traveled as having called the TO) if he had possession he traveled if he didn't have possession he can't call time out.  Can't have it both ways unless you simply don't know the rules.
The Creighton bigs constantly foul when rebounding by backing over guys as they back out.  Never called
Big Win.  Saturday is going to be really tough now that Nova lost.

DUNKS45

• All American
  • never too old
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2016, 09:25:48 PM »
Love that SONORAN SALSA!!

thanooj

• Starter
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2016, 09:25:51 PM »
Is creigton using morse code to upload the box score to the sports sites tonight.....

The refs are reviewing the last play trying to find another flagrant to call so they get two shots and the ball with a chance to win.
Original member of the "Dean's List"

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2016, 09:26:05 PM »
That's well played ;D

Henry had a good offensive line tonight, but we really missed Luke on both ends. It's much harder to drive without Luke because Henry simply can't seal the lane like that.

Hank made up for it with his own scoring and mostly good shot selection, but we're a better team with Luke in there.

Hank cost us on D, like you say. Glad Creighton sucked tonight
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 09:29:28 PM by real chili 83 »

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2016, 09:28:24 PM »
It sure wasn't pretty. But Marquette toughed out a big win — beating a good, well-coached team in front of a big crowd. Loved every minute of it.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2016, 09:28:34 PM »
I love the growing rivalry with Creighton. Don't see them as a dirty team at all. I blame the roughness tonight on the refs. They let everything go and this was a very important game for Creighton. Mostly they let things go both ways, though.

I have visited most of the Midwest schools for MU games. Was in Omaha last year and have to say it's my favorite. Fans were very friendly, arena is great place to play and watch a game, city clean and attractive.

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2016, 09:30:43 PM »
Good win. Good game by Wilson. It pains me to say that

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2016, 09:42:07 PM »
Great game and a tough showing by Henry - who was abused all night - and Duane - who was clutch. 

My theory on the refs is that - like most of us - they really didn't like Wojo much when he was a player so they take it out on MU.  The officiating tonight was horrible and one sided.  I grew to appreciate Henry's maturity because he was jumped on, undercut, and even tackled and he just kept playing.  He didn't play any D because he saw what happened to Fischer as soon as he got close to a creighton player - it was a foul - so there was no chance Henry could play any D and stay in the game.

As an aside, I watched some Big 10 and ACC games last weekend and found the officiating about 100 times better than the big east.  How did the BEAST get the dregs of the officials????

Anyway, GREAT win!
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2016, 09:50:42 PM »
Great game and a tough showing by Henry - who was abused all night - and Duane - who was clutch. 

My theory on the refs is that - like most of us - they really didn't like Wojo much when he was a player so they take it out on MU.  The officiating tonight was horrible and one sided.  I grew to appreciate Henry's maturity because he was jumped on, undercut, and even tackled and he just kept playing.  He didn't play any D because he saw what happened to Fischer as soon as he got close to a creighton player - it was a foul - so there was no chance Henry could play any D and stay in the game.

As an aside, I watched some Big 10 and ACC games last weekend and found the officiating about 100 times better than the big east.  How did the BEAST get the dregs of the officials????

Anyway, GREAT win!

Thank you. Henry knows he needs to stay in the game because of Luke's inability to do so.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2016, 09:51:26 PM »
It sure wasn't pretty. But Marquette toughed out a big win — beating a good, well-coached team in front of a big crowd. Loved every minute of it.

I mostly agree, but I can't say I loved every minute of it. It was a damn stressful game to watch as a fan. I was nervous as could be with 8.6 to go and us up six. I was even more nervous with us up 3 with 3.3 seconds to go.

It was a great game to watch and I'm excited we won, but it was not enjoyable to experience. Every key player was both exhilarating and exasperating.

Thank goodness for Brewmaster Jack Double IPA.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2016, 09:52:58 PM »
I have never been one to complain about the officials. Some calls go your way and some don't.

But this year has seen Marquette get jobbed consistently. At home we get no calls and touch fouls against us at the whistle. On the road they don't call blatant fouls when our players drive the basket, and then proceed to call ticky tack touch fouls on MU on defense.

We consistently get screwed by the refs and it costs us games.

That being said....so glad we beat those guys. They are quickly becoming the team I want to beat the most.

Go Golden Warrior Eagles

This. This. This. This. I've been saying it all year. We get hosed by the refs no matter where we play.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2016, 09:55:41 PM »
I have never been one to complain about the officials. Some calls go your way and some don't.

But this year has seen Marquette get jobbed consistently. At home we get no calls and touch fouls against us at the whistle. On the road they don't call blatant fouls when our players drive the basket, and then proceed to call ticky tack touch fouls on MU on defense.

We consistently get screwed by the refs and it costs us games.

That being said....so glad we beat those guys. They are quickly becoming the team I want to beat the most.

Go Golden Warrior Eagles

It's cuz we've got a friggin' Dukie as a coach, doncha know? The refs now hate us.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2016, 09:57:30 PM »
The refs were brutal.  But they were brutal both ways.  There were two blatant no calls toward the end of the second half that benefited MU on Creighton's offensive end.  We just don't remember those.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2016, 09:59:49 PM »
He didn't play any D because he saw what happened to Fischer as soon as he got close to a creighton player - it was a foul - so there was no chance Henry could play any D and stay in the game.

My issue wasn't his lack of physical defense, it was his lack of positioning. He was never between his man and the basket, often drifting away so their bog was completely wide open. I expect him to get exposed on pick and roll plays or back door cuts, but tonight was really bad.

We missed not just Luke but also Heldt tonight. Still amazed we pulled it off.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2016, 09:59:52 PM »
I mostly agree, but I can't say I loved every minute of it. It was a damn stressful game to watch as a fan. I was nervous as could be with 8.6 to go and us up six. I was even more nervous with us up 3 with 3.3 seconds to go.

It was a great game to watch and I'm excited we won, but it was not enjoyable to experience. Every key player was both exhilarating and exasperating.

Thank goodness for Brewmaster Jack Double IPA.

Stressful, yes. Anxious, absolutely. But to me, watching a close game on the road against a tough rival in front of a sold-out crowd is way more fun than a blowout.

Somehow, despite all the mistakes, I felt like Marquette was sticking to its game plan, setting the tone/pace and controlling the game pretty much the whole way. Even when Creighton made its run, we stayed patient, didn't force up bad shots, took time off the clock and hung in there.

Only 2 other teams this season have held Creighton to fewer than 61 points. That was fun to watch.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2016, 10:00:17 PM »
I'll say this... Wojo doesn't do himself any favors when he blows a gasket after each missed call. K had the rep to get away with that, Wojo doesn't. He needs to learn how to effectively work the refs.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2016, 10:03:43 PM »
Wow ... after that game by Henry, we're actually bashing his D?

Luke was out with fouls and Henry had one. The last thing we needed was for him to get a second foul before the end of the half. I wouldn't be surprised if Wojo told him specifically to avoid a foul -- in other words, he'd rather give up the 2 points than get the foul. Coaches have to make that call all the time.

I'm absolutely not saying Henry was a defensive stud. He wasn't. He almost never is. But Creighton has a couple of tough, big bodies. They get some credit, too.

It was a nice win. Not only is any road win nice for MU but any win at all is nice for our boyz.

Let's enjoy the victories, people. And let's enjoy Henry while we have him. We won't see the likes of him again for some time, if ever.

The kid goes for 22 while being mugged all night, and grabs 10 boards -- all "easy," I'm guessing. He hits the huge jumper from the lane and the two clinching FTs. And his defense is what's on a bunch of Scoopers' minds?

I guess I'm just getting to be too damn positive in my old age.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2016, 10:12:16 PM »
1.   The 2-3 zone for Creighton made MU stand still.
2.   Henry was mugged all day.   Creighton is a borderline dirty team.
3.   Poorly officiated game in general.   Falling to the ground with the ball and no travel?  When did that start?
4.   Great defensive job on Watson.   The difference between the two games. 
5.   But no points off of the bench.
6.  Anybody still frustrated about lack of improvement or lack of toughness.... just stop.
7.  After giving up the lead and dodging a hail of bullets, MU made just enough winning plays.
8.  Gird your loins for Nova.       Fire up!
3. I asked a ref recently--when a player goes to the ground(feet off the ground) with the ball at what point does the traveling occur? He said immediately. Zierdan should not be allowed to possess and make that pass.
2. I don't think Creighton is dirty--I think they are smart, traditional floppers--similar to another team I hate.
Early foul trouble---no Heldt I would say good job by Wojo getting enough out of Sacar and Wally to get to half.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2016, 10:12:43 PM »

Luke was out with fouls and Henry had one. The last thing we needed was for him to get a second foul before the end of the half. I wouldn't be surprised if Wojo told him specifically to avoid a foul -- in other words, he'd rather give up the 2 points than get the foul. Coaches have to make that call all the time.

I'm absolutely not saying Henry was a defensive stud. He wasn't. He almost never is. But Creighton has a couple of tough, big bodies. They get some credit, too.

It was a nice win. Not only is any road win nice for MU but any win at all is nice for our boyz.

Let's enjoy the victories, people. And let's enjoy Henry while we have him. We won't see the likes of him again for some time, if ever.

The kid goes for 22 while being mugged all night, and grabs 10 boards -- all "easy," I'm guessing. He hits the huge jumper from the lane and the two clinching FTs. And his defense is what's on a bunch of Scoopers' minds?

^This
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2016, 10:15:36 PM »
I'll say this... Wojo doesn't do himself any favors when he blows a gasket after each missed call. K had the rep to get away with that, Wojo doesn't. He needs to learn how to effectively work the refs.
grumble.....

He is no more or less composed than 90% of D1 coaches.  The refs were horrible both ways.  yes bad against us, yes bad for us.  There is no relevance between him being a K protege and how the refs call the game.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2016, 10:29:06 PM »

Sorry, but I'm just not into the whole "he went for 22/10 so we can't point out his deficiencies" line of thinking. Henry was good on offense, good shot selection, but his defense was terrible.

If people want to make excuses for him, fine, but let's not pretend he played a perfect game at both ends because he didn't. He also caused us at least one turnover by failing to seal the lane.

All of this is okay. We won. He's a freshman. Lackluster defense and mistakes are understandable. But the day we aren't allowed to point them out? Come on...clearly the staff has pointed out his mistakes because his game has improved. No reason fans can't point out issues they see.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2016, 10:44:01 PM »

If people want to make excuses for him, fine, but let's not pretend he played a perfect game at both ends because he didn't.

Well, among other things, I did say this:

<<I'm absolutely not saying Henry was a defensive stud. He wasn't.>>

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback