[April 30, 2024, 11:37:53 PM]

Shaka interview by Jay Bee
[April 30, 2024, 09:36:41 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[April 30, 2024, 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 30, 2024, 02:09:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: #1 Villanova at #5 Xavier  (Read 7845 times)

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
#1 Villanova at #5 Xavier
« on: February 23, 2016, 09:01:36 PM »
FS1 presents its first ever matchup between two top-five college hoops programs, and the BIG EAST’s first top-five meeting in the conference’s current configuration, Wednesday night as No. 1 Villanova visits No. 5 Xavier at 6:00 PM CT. FS1 extends its coverage of this big game with an on-site studio presence in Cincinnati and a FOX COLLEGE HOOPS EXTRA postgame show, plus FS1’s lead college basketball broadcast duo, the inimitable Gus Johnson and Bill Raftery, call the action.

Coverage begins at 6:00 PM CT as studio host Kevin Burkhardt and analyst Steve Lavin welcome viewers to the Cintas Center before Johnson and Raftery take over from their courtside broadcast location. Burkhardt and Lavin return at halftime and again post-game when they join studio host Rob Stone and analysts Jim Jackson and Casey Jacobsen from Los Angeles for reaction, highlights and in-depth analysis of the BIG EAST and college basketball from around the country until 9:00 PM CT.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

MU82

• All American
Re: #1 Villanova at #5 Xavier
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 09:47:17 PM »
Good.

If you can't hype this game, why even bother having the rights?

It's too bad most of the Big East-watching audience will be glued to the MU-Creighton game, though!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 08:31:50 AM »
If Xavier wins this one and they both win out until the BE Tournament Finals, with Nova beating Xavier then, do both these teams get a 1 seed?

I don't see how Xavier would be anywhere but on the 1 line if they win this one tonight (they have a really, really strong resume even before what would then be a win over the #1 team in the country), and I don't see a loss at the #5 team in the country knocking Nova from the #1 overall spot to the 2 line.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 08:43:45 AM »
If Xavier wins this one and they both win out until the BE Tournament Finals, with Nova beating Xavier then, do both these teams get a 1 seed?

I don't see how Xavier would be anywhere but on the 1 line if they win this one tonight (they have a really, really strong resume even before what would then be a win over the #1 team in the country), and I don't see a loss at the #5 team in the country knocking Nova from the #1 overall spot to the 2 line.

I can't see the committee putting two Big East teams on the 1 line. I think the Big East gets a 1 seed and a 2 seed. Too much "Power Conference" bias in the form of ACC, Big 12 and B1G
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 08:52:40 AM »
A few weeks back CBSSports was airing the DePaul vs. St. John's game. The TV guy was just bashing Nova claiming they didn't deserve more than a 3 seed due to their two OOC losses to Oklahoma and Virginia. He went on and on about how Virginia has gotten so much better since then. It was bad. Clearly not a lot of respect for the Big East. I can't believe they are only rumoring 4 teams to the tournament. My biased view is at least 6, maybe 8.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 09:06:51 AM by Ruby »

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 08:58:29 AM »

Lunardi said that a Nova loss tonight drops them from the top overall seed.  He also said that getting two BE teams as 1 seeds could be difficult, but there's a lot of season left to play.

Sooooo bummed this game is on at the same time as our tilt.  Wish there was a way that you could program a channel/network to hide the ticker.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 09:06:22 AM »
Lunardi said that a Nova loss tonight drops them from the top overall seed.  He also said that getting two BE teams as 1 seeds could be difficult, but there's a lot of season left to play.

Sooooo bummed this game is on at the same time as our tilt.  Wish there was a way that you could program a channel/network to hide the ticker.

I would agree with Lunardi that a loss tonight would and should drop Nova from the 1 overall spot, but I don't see how they could possibly drop from 1 overall to 5 or lower based on a loss at a top 5 team.  And I don't see how you could look at Xavier's resume after a win over #1 Nova and say they don't deserve a 1 seed.  They have completely blown out some really good teams.

I can't see the committee putting two Big East teams on the 1 line. I think the Big East gets a 1 seed and a 2 seed. Too much "Power Conference" bias in the form of ACC, Big 12 and B1G

I personally don't think the NCAA has any kind of bias against the Big East.  They put 60% of the conference into the NCAAs last year, including a 1 seed.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 09:28:10 AM »
Clearly not a lot of respect for the Big East. I can't believe they are only rumoring 4 teams to the tournament. My biased view is at least 6, maybe 8.

Why not all 10?

We're tourney bound, everybody!!!!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 09:29:38 AM »
This year, I really feel the top seeds come down quite a bit to the loss column, simply because it's hard to separate the teams at the top. I think the best case for the league getting two #1 seeds would be for Xavier to win tonight and both teams to win out until Villanova knocks off XU in the BET final.

But as far as claims to #1 seeds, Kansas looks like a rock of late (how do they keep winning titles?). If the UNC/UVA winner on Saturday also wins the ACC Tourney, figure they're a lock. The Big 10 might kill themselves off for the top line, but if Iowa, MSU, or Maryland run the table they'll have a claim as well. Oklahoma looks to have maybe fallen off a bit, but if they regroup and win out, they'll also have about as good a resume as anyone.

The key for both Big East teams is to make it as hard as possible to not take them. Play two more times, split those and don't lose any other games and they'll have a good stake. My guess is Xavier has to win tonight to have a chance. Even if they lose tonight and then win out, my suspicion is the Committee would have them locked into the 2-line prior to the Big East final and not change it with the rationale that 'Nova took two of three between them.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 09:45:15 AM »
I personally don't think the NCAA has any kind of bias against the Big East.  They put 60% of the conference into the NCAAs last year, including a 1 seed.

I don't think they are biased against the Big East per se, but are biased for the ACC, B1G, B12 conference on the top seed lines. I get it, those conference teams (Duke, Kansas, UNC, Michigan State) have produced from the 1 and 2 seed lines whereas the Big East hasn't.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2016, 09:59:57 AM »
A few weeks back CBSSports was airing the DePaul vs. St. John's game. The TV guy was just bashing Nova claiming they didn't deserve more than a 3 seed due to their two OOC losses to Oklahoma and Virginia. He went on and on about how Virginia has gotten so much better since then. It was bad. Clearly not a lot of respect for the Big East. I can't believe they are only rumoring 4 teams to the tournament. My biased view is at least 6, maybe 8.
That would be Doug Gottlieb.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2016, 10:01:32 AM »
I don't think they are biased against the Big East per se, but are biased for the ACC, B1G, B12 conference on the top seed lines. I get it, those conference teams (Duke, Kansas, UNC, Michigan State) have produced from the 1 and 2 seed lines whereas the Big East hasn't.
I wouldn't disagree, but that shouldn't be the case. What Villanova and Duke did respectively from the 1 line in 2015's tournament, for example, should have absolutely no bearing on where they (or teams from their respective conferences) are seeded in 2016.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2016, 10:24:29 AM »
That would be Doug Gottlieb.
Doug Gottlieb is a middling talent as a sports broadcaster/analyst who tries to garner more attention by sensationalism rather than merit.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2016, 10:26:51 AM »
There's no way Villanova gets a 1 seed after their loss on 2/27.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2016, 10:40:45 AM »
I wouldn't disagree, but that shouldn't be the case. What Villanova and Duke did respectively from the 1 line in 2015's tournament, for example, should have absolutely no bearing on where they (or teams from their respective conferences) are seeded in 2016.

You've got a tense problem  ;)  Shouldn't and don't are two different things.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2016, 10:41:37 AM »
You've got a tense problem  ;)  Shouldn't and don't are two different things.

Oh, I definitely recognize it. Just don't agree with it ;)

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2016, 10:45:21 AM »

But as far as claims to #1 seeds, Kansas looks like a rock of late (how do they keep winning titles?). If the UNC/UVA winner on Saturday also wins the ACC Tourney, figure they're a lock. The Big 10 might kill themselves off for the top line, but if Iowa, MSU, or Maryland run the table they'll have a claim as well. Oklahoma looks to have maybe fallen off a bit, but if they regroup and win out, they'll also have about as good a resume as anyone.

The Big XII isn't actually that good. And never really has been outside them.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2016, 11:19:53 AM »

Gotta disagree here. B12 is very good.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2016, 11:22:41 AM »

I don't believe the data supports your statement. The B12 has been a very good conference since 2008.

Overall conference rank of the B12 according to Pomeroy:

This year: #1
2015: #1
2014: #2
2013: #6
2012: #2
2011: #3
2010: #1
2009: #2
2008: #1
2007: #6
2006: #6
2005: #4
2004: #4
2003: #1
2002: #5
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2016, 11:27:10 AM »

I think X and Nova should both be one seeds.  I think X is underrated at 5.  They have the won wins and fewest losses amongst major CBB teams. And pass the eye test...that is a team built to win a national title.  They may not have the star power of an Oklahoma or Kansas, but just really really good 1-8.  Depending on matchups, they'll probably be my team this tourney.

That said,  I hope Nova wins tonight.  Cause I want to beat a legit #1 on Saturday. 

I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2016, 11:27:22 AM »
I don't believe the data supports your statement. The B12 has been a very good conference since 2008.

Overall conference rank of the B12 according to Pomeroy:

This year: #1
2015: #1
2014: #2
2013: #6
2012: #2
2011: #3
2010: #1
2009: #2
2008: #1
2007: #6
2006: #6
2005: #4
2004: #4
2003: #1
2002: #5

When you repeat 12 straight times as champion, I'm done believing who you're playing is that good. Know who else repeats 12 straight times? Gonzaga in the WCC. It is embarrassing for that conference.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2016, 11:29:51 AM »
When you repeat 12 straight times as champion, I'm done believing who you're playing is that good.

Yeah, it's like Henry being only an OK rebounder but the ball just keeps falling into his hands.

Lucky Hank, lucky Jayhawks.

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2016, 11:39:03 AM »
Frankly, all that should matter is to get Nova in the Brooklyn --> Philly regional. Being the top No. 1 seed does that, but being the 4th 1 seed might not (depending on if UVA/MD/UNC get a higher 1-seed).

As for X, they would want to get into the Louisville Regional, which is only 100 miles away from campus, with the seed mattering a bit less as lots of teams are in play for the Yum Center.

Going off that, I'll probably root for Nova.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2016, 12:54:20 PM »
Yeah, it's like Henry being only an OK rebounder but the ball just keeps falling into his hands.

If the scoop meme contest continues, I'm voting "Henry's lucky rebounds" to the final

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2016, 01:03:14 PM »

Not saying the Jayhawks are lucky, just sick of people lauding the conference I grew up with ignoring this freaking huge problem. It shouldn't be something to be proud of, it's actually kind of embarrassing. Growing up in Kansas, KU's NCAA upsets/burnouts become a really big deal and I have always argued a little bit (not huge, its a good conference) of it is that its because they're rarely really challenged during conference play except maybe by Mizzou (rivalry) and then Texas for a few years. So the intensity lacks.

The Big XII is a very good conference, better than the Big East, but when I see that all of their teams that have won more than 4 conference games are predicted to be in the tourney I'm rolling my eyes.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 01:09:28 PM by Aughnanure »

jsheim

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2016, 01:48:08 PM »
There's no way Villanova gets a 1 seed after their loss on 2/27.

nice...

jsheim

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2016, 02:17:24 PM »
As far as BE Conference Bids....its tough...was looking at all the RPI (ESPN's version) by Conf. and counting bid candidates (rpi<70 + decent record and .500 in conference)...with 1 bid minimum per conference.  I came up with 78. So that means to me that many will fall out due to weak SOS (higher RPI).

so its a tough road for BE teams. 4 bids are pretty certain.
V,X,SH are locks...plus Prov (just have to go 2-2 for a 9-9/20-10 and they are in I think even if 0-1 BET).

Creighton and Butler are in trouble:
Butler: in if it can go 2-1 and 1-1 BET.
Creighton: even if they go 2-2 for a 10-8/19-12...their RPI is high. 1-1 BET might not help.

MU could be a serious spoiler:
if we beat CR tonight, they could be toast (with @X coming up)
If we beat Butler in last game of season ... that could end it for them if they had lost to GT or SH.

Of course if MU wins out    ;)

I predict realistically 5 bids...but someone has to step up.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2016, 06:17:50 PM »
Not a shock, but the energy in Cincinnati is awesome. Villanova up 12-11

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2016, 06:42:49 PM »
Nova in a 6 minute full self destruct right now.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2016, 06:52:12 PM »
Kinda hoping for a nova win. Don't want them playing us with a fire lit underneath their ass.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2016, 07:33:21 PM »
Xavier on a 9-0 run, up 59-50

tower912

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2016, 08:01:23 PM »
X is taking Nova completely out of their game.   Going to take a ridiculous comeback.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2016, 08:20:13 PM »
Saturday is going to be brutal. Yikes. Hate to play Nova coming off a loss.....

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2016, 08:23:41 PM »
Fock.

Beating the #1 team at home just doesn't have the luster when it's their second loss of the week.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2016, 09:20:44 PM »
Villanova clearly looked past Xavier knowing they had to travel to the BC for National Marquette Day.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2016, 09:32:07 PM »
Fock.

Beating the #1 team at home just doesn't have the luster when it's their second loss of the week.
Louisville came in #2 after a loss to St. Louis in 2003, that had to be the great energy Bradley Center game ever.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2016, 09:35:10 PM »
I believe that kid Sumner is the one of the most underrated players in Division I.  6ft 6 with that speed at a point guard position is exceptional. 

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2016, 12:26:51 AM »
Saturday is going to be brutal. Yikes. Hate to play Nova coming off a loss.....

It's National F'in Marquette Day.  'Nova doesn't stand a chance.

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2016, 07:43:05 AM »
I believe that kid Sumner is the one of the most underrated players in Division I.  6ft 6 with that speed at a point guard position is exceptional.

+1,000.  Young man is a total baller.  He can explode to the rim with great elevation, can hit the 3 ball, and can clearly dish the ball.  He had some great passes last night...passes that you rarely see freshman make.

X loses a few roll players, but they'll come in next year as a Top 5 team.  Great youth, balance, and toughness returning.  How is Myles Davis only a junior?!?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2016, 08:29:02 AM »
+1,000.  Young man is a total baller.  He can explode to the rim with great elevation, can hit the 3 ball, and can clearly dish the ball.  He had some great passes last night...passes that you rarely see freshman make.

X loses a few roll players, but they'll come in next year as a Top 5 team.  Great youth, balance, and toughness returning.  How is Myles Davis only a junior?!?

As long as everyone returns, they'll be very good. Farr and Abell graduate, neither of which seem irreplaceable. They need to make sure Jalen Reynolds stays, as he would be eligible to leave as a graduate transfer.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2016, 08:41:29 AM »

He's already 20. He should really test the waters this spring.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2016, 09:45:27 AM »
He's already 20. He should really test the waters this spring.

He would go undrafted.  It'd be a really bad decision for him to enter the draft.  He's 6'6" and like 170 lbs.  He would constantly by knocked off the ball in the pros and abused from a defensive standpoint.  He also shoots from the hip.  That won't work in the pros.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2016, 09:51:15 AM »
How is Myles Davis only a junior?!?
Hopefully people will be saying that about Haanif in a few years.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2016, 10:07:13 AM »
He would go undrafted.  It'd be a really bad decision for him to enter the draft.

That's why I said "test the waters." His age is working against him. Why not go through the process and see what he needs to improve on? With the new rules, he can always come back to school.