[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NBA Dunk Contest  (Read 4911 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: NBA Dunk Contest
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2016, 10:01:30 PM »
Yes, I thought he had three incredibly strong dunks -- all involving the mascot.  I guess I am just not that interested in the free throw line dunks...they don't seem that difficult for these guys and are repetitive.

Next time you're on a basketball court just try jumping from the free throw line (or with your shoe just into the paint) and landing under the hoop.  You'll probably fall at least 6 feet short.  Then remember that you also have to have your feet above a 10 foot high hoop and throw a basketball down into it.  Then imagine having to do that while doing a windmill or through the legs.  Those dunks are absolutely, insanely, ridiculously difficult.  How many times have you seen anybody dunk from a free throw line ever?

Every single one of those dunks they did was completely absurd.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2016, 10:14:21 PM »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2016, 10:17:18 PM »

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2016, 07:21:53 AM »
Next time you're on a basketball court just try jumping from the free throw line (or with your shoe just into the paint) and landing under the hoop.  You'll probably fall at least 6 feet short.  Then remember that you also have to have your feet above a 10 foot high hoop and throw a basketball down into it.  Then imagine having to do that while doing a windmill or through the legs.  Those dunks are absolutely, insanely, ridiculously difficult.  How many times have you seen anybody dunk from a free throw line ever?

I am 44 years old with two shot knees so whatever I am able to accomplish isn't really relevant  ;D

I'm not saying it's easy (especially for mere mortals like us)...just that it's been done in these contests multiple times so loses a bit on the originality side.  On the other hand, I have never seen somebody jump over a 6'+ mascot in a seated position before so that appealed to me more. 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2016, 07:44:08 PM »
i remember as a kid(1970's) going to bucks games hoping to see just a few dunks.  that was before collapsible rims and countless broken backboards.-gus johnson, darryl(chocolate thunder) dawkins.  charlie hentz of the old ABA broke 2 in one game in 1970.  eventually some braniac who must have been sick and tired of the 30-60 minute delay to get a new backboard put up-as a kid, loved it.

haven't looked it up, but when did they finally allow dunking in college??  after lew and elvin and....

http://www.liquisearch.com/slam_dunk/notable_dunks/broken_backboards
don't...don't don't don't don't

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2016, 07:45:41 PM »
i remember as a kid(1970's) going to bucks games hoping to see just a few dunks.  that was before collapsible rims and countless broken backboards.-gus johnson, darryl(chocolate thunder) dawkins.  charlie hentz of the old ABA broke 2 in one game in 1970.  eventually some braniac who must have been sick and tired of the 30-60 minute delay to get a new backboard put up-as a kid, loved it.

haven't looked it up, but when did they finally allow dunking in college??  after lew and elvin and....

http://www.liquisearch.com/slam_dunk/notable_dunks/broken_backboards

Dunking in college was disallowed from 1967 to 1976.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2016, 10:05:10 PM »

I'm sure a number of crotchety old East Coast sportswriters still consider that the Golden Years of "true fundamentals"

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2016, 08:39:29 AM »
Video compilation of every perfect score in dunk contest history.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS-JanlTT2o

brandx

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2016, 12:07:33 PM »

They thought that was the only way to stop Lew Alcindor.  it turned out to be the best thing for his career as he developed the "sky hook" because of the rule.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2016, 12:39:54 PM »

Exactly. Gordon's mascot ones were more eye popping and the over the mascot probably was the best of the night.

But some underestimate just how hard it is to do Lavines free throw dunks with tricks.

Gordon's was insane seeing a big man get that high.

But I'd venture to guess that Lavine could do his dunks a lot easier than Gordon could pull off LaVines free throw ones. Those take a special kinda ability.

Also when seeing these dunks compared to MJ/Wilkins you see how incredible they were. Easily better. So effortless.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2016, 12:41:30 PM »
Only saw the highlights.

My question: How many tries did these guys get to make the dunk? Did they nail most of these on the first try? I remember the old "two attempts" days but I also remember Nate Robinson taking something like 14 attempts to make a dunk...and winning. Once a dunk is attempted and missed, it takes a lot of luster off of the made attempt.

Lavine got every dunk on the 1st try except one. He got that on second try.

Gordon I think did as well. Maybe he missed on 2? But I think it was just 1 and then the clock he tried to throw off twice but didn't actually dunk
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....