'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Incoming freshmen by Goose
[Today at 11:09:38 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 08:27:08 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Traci Carter  (Read 15700 times)

AZMarqfan

• Starter
Re: Traci Carter
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2016, 07:29:08 PM »
Brewcity, I'm happy with what I see from Carter, but it's hard to compare him to an NBA player in Diener after 2/3rds of a years.  He's a better ball handler than James, and probably as weak of a shooter.  But they both compare favorably with defense and creating for others.  Let's give the kid time

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2016, 07:39:05 PM »
Brewcity, I'm happy with what I see from Carter, but it's hard to compare him to an NBA player in Diener after 2/3rds of a years.  He's a better ball handler than James, and probably as weak of a shooter.  But they both compare favorably with defense and creating for others.  Let's give the kid time

He's easily our best freshman point in a decade. Not thinking at all about pro careers, but I fully believe Carter will be our best since those two.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2016, 07:49:20 PM »
This statement surprised me, so I looked up the stats. James in his freshmen year had 87 turnovers in 1006 minutes against a tougher schedule. Carter has 52 turnovers in 495 minutes. The stats do not support your statement.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2016, 07:54:42 PM »
This statement surprised me, so I looked up the stats. James in his freshmen year had 87 turnovers in 1006 minutes against a tougher schedule. Carter has 52 turnovers in 495 minutes. The stats do not support your statement.

So turnovers only happen off the dribble?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2016, 07:59:49 PM »
So turnovers only happen off the dribble?
I do not remember James having trouble dribbling the ball. I certainly remember Cadougan getting turned over, especailly against Louisville. In fact we beat Louisville at Louisville James' freshmen year and he was the reason why.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2016, 08:03:22 PM »
I do not remember James having trouble dribbling the ball. I certainly remember Cadougan getting turned over, especailly against Louisville. In fact we beat Louisville at Louisville James' freshmen year and he was the reason why.

They lost in OT at Louisville the Big 3's freshmen year. James hit a 30 footer to force OT.

I don't know who the better ballhandler is, but citing the turnover numbers as evidence is misguided.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2016, 08:11:24 PM »
They lost in OT at Louisville the Big 3's freshmen year. James hit a 30 footer to force OT.

I don't know who the better ballhandler is, but citing the turnover numbers as evidence is misguided.
My memory, which is no proof, thought the statement was wrong. That is why I looked up the numbers, which seem to support what I believed to be true. You also have two totally different coaching styles to consider. Crean's style was and still is a guard dominated dribbling offense, while Wojo is more of a paint touch guy like Buzz was. The effect being that James would have had the ball in his hands more in Crean's offense then he would have in Wojo's offense giving him more opportunity to turn the ball over and the numbers just do not bare it out that he had trouble handling the ball. After his freshmen year he could not shoot a worth a damn, but that has nothing to do with the debate.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 08:19:05 PM by bilsu »

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2016, 01:07:19 AM »
He is not a weak shooter...he doesn't shoot enough as a freshman. He is a good shooter and should shoot the ball more. I don't know what you are looking at.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2016, 01:08:29 AM »
Traci, like all freshmen, is going to have his ups and downs.    Yesterday, when he fouled Jones 40 ft from the basket in the first half, I thought 'here we go again'.    But he didn't commit any more dumb fouls, got to stay in the game, and made shots.    I know I yelled 'no' on his first 3 (a miss) and then on the next one, too, but he made that one.   I quit yelling after that.   

As to Dawson last year, Dodds tells the story that in the preseason while Derrick was out, Dawson could not bring the ball up effectively against Carlino, that that lock down defender from BYU completely stymied him and kept picking his pocket.    I remember shortly after that in one of his first radio shows Wojo saying that JD's time would be dictated by how well he took care of the ball.     
It wasn't a dumb foul....it might have ben a foul of aggression but not dumb.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2016, 05:23:36 AM »
Any foul committed on a dribbler crossing mid court is a dumb foul.   Unless it is the end of the game and you are trying to foul.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2016, 07:14:02 AM »
I have liked Traci from Day one.  He plays hard, plays tough and can score off the dribble or anywhere on the court.  The only negative I have seen is his selfishness and not shooting the ball enough.  This is typical of a freshman.  Sandy plays similar by playing too unselfish and not shooting enough.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2016, 08:25:17 AM »
Traci has a 90.8 ORtg using 18.8% possessions.

Dom had 104.9 ORtg using 27.7% possessions in 2006.

They aren't close.

If you want to compare, Junior's sophomore year: 94.3 ORtg using 16.4% possessions.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2016, 11:55:28 AM »
Anyone who watched the Italy trip could tell Traci was a very good prospect.  I am on record as saying he will be Wojo's most important recruit (Howard could make me look wrong).  To me Saturday wasn't a surprise but affirmation. I'm not expecting 5-7 from deep again, but I do expect him to hit some big 3's down the stretch.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2016, 12:40:15 PM »
Anyone who watched the Italy trip could tell Traci was a very good prospect.  I am on record as saying he will be Wojo's most important recruit (Howard could make me look wrong).  To me Saturday wasn't a surprise but affirmation. I'm not expecting 5-7 from deep again, but I do expect him to hit some big 3's down the stretch.

I don't think you're the Long Ranger on this one.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2016, 12:53:59 PM »
I am on record as saying he will be Wojo's most important recruit (Howard could make me look wrong).
It has to be Cheatham. I don't think we talk about this guy enough. He has potential to be an absolute monster. Already shows long/mid-range game, great ability to drive, and plays really solid D in a high school senior body. He's going to be phenomenal.

AZMarqfan

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2016, 07:02:28 PM »
He is not a weak shooter...he doesn't shoot enough as a freshman. He is a good shooter and should shoot the ball more. I don't know what you are looking at.

Wait...he's a good shooter, but doesn't shoot much?  In reality, he's had 1 good game as a shooter.  I hope he makes progress and develops.  I hope he feels comfortable shooting as time goes on.  But I can't say he's a good shooter based on 1 game or based on practice.  I've heard for 3 years that JJJ is a good shooter in practice, and I really have yet to see it (at least his shot isn't as awkward as it was 2 years ago). 

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2016, 07:11:14 PM »
Agreed! Haney is so focused,all he has to do is cut down the TOs, if he works hard in the off-season no tellin how good he can be. I wish Cohen could shake off the funk and play like he did
earlier in the season, but overall, I've been waiting for this team to bust out and have a good
shooting game,it finally happened.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2016, 07:18:55 PM »
Wait...he's a good shooter, but doesn't shoot much?  In reality, he's had 1 good game as a shooter.  I hope he makes progress and develops.  I hope he feels comfortable shooting as time goes on.  But I can't say he's a good shooter based on 1 game or based on practice.  I've heard for 3 years that JJJ is a good shooter in practice, and I really have yet to see it (at least his shot isn't as awkward as it was 2 years ago).

JJJ is shooting 37% from 3 point range this year...I don't know about you but that's a pretty decent clip. Traci is now up to 35% which is just one percent less than Sandy.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2016, 07:45:29 PM »
JJJ is shooting 37% from 3 point range this year...I don't know about you but that's a pretty decent clip. Traci is now up to 35% which is just one percent less than Sandy.

I'm happy about this, I really am, because I've been harping that we have needed better 3-point shooting for years.

I just hope they can continue at this kind of respectable rate -- and Duane, Hank and Haanif can, too -- against the better opponents on our schedule.

Aside from this last game against a good (but not great) Butler team, some of the numbers have been fattened up against the bad teams, I'm guessing (but only guessing) because they felt less pressure.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2016, 08:05:15 PM »
Carter's 5 makes in Saturday's game were more than Derrick made his freshman, sophomore, and junior years combined (0 frosh, 1 soph, 1 junior), and more than half the amount Derrick made all of senior year (9).

Let that sink in.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2016, 10:25:15 PM »
It has to be Cheatham. I don't think we talk about this guy enough. He has potential to be an absolute monster. Already shows long/mid-range game, great ability to drive, and plays really solid D in a high school senior body. He's going to be phenomenal.

I think Cheatham is this generation's Roney Eford. 4 years of solid. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2016, 10:31:07 PM »
Carter's 5 makes in Saturday's game were more than Derrick made his freshman, sophomore, and junior years combined (0 frosh, 1 soph, 1 junior), and more than half the amount Derrick made all of senior year (9).

Let that sink in.

Rosevelt Jones's 80 footer was more than his freshman, sophomore, junior, and 20 games into his senior combined (0 frosh, 0 soph, 0 junior, and 0 20 games into his senior year) years from 19-80 foot shots.

Let that sink in.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2016, 11:08:33 PM »
I think Cheatham is this generation's Roney Eford. 4 years of solid.
I can see that.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2016, 08:53:38 AM »

Let that sink in.

Wow.  Derrick made 11 in his entire career.  For grins, someone look up how many Junior made as a Sophomore.  Personally, I think Traci has far more upside than either.  We certainly had success under Junior's control.  Sure wish he had red-shirted after the injury Frosh year.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2016, 08:55:50 AM »

Let that sink in.

David Cubillan made more 3s as a true freshman than Dwyane Wade made in his entire MU career.

Let that sink in.