Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Butler thoughts  (Read 15423 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Butler thoughts
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2016, 04:43:24 PM »
as an at large bid it won't happen. Go complain to Broeker

Well...there's a conundrum there.

Right now we are predicted to go 7-11 in conference play per Pomeroy. Assuming he's right, it almost wouldn't matter who we scheduled in non-conference, we're not getting in. If we exceed that by 1 game and go 8-10, it would take a really, really tough non-con to get in with a losing conference record. If we exceed that by 2 or 3 games, well, then there's a case. 9-9 or 10-8 should at least give us a chance. This year, not so much. But if we go 11-7 or better, we're getting in even with our crappy schedule. So...

8-10 or worse, it wasn't the schedule, it's that we weren't good enough in league play.
9-9 or 10-8, it was the schedule.
11-7 or better, even that schedule probably won't keep us out.

The only way the athletic department gets the blame is if we finish 9-9 or 10-8.

We're probably out, but I still think 11-7 is possible. All the home games are winnable. But need to win 3 of 5 on the road. That DePaul loss is immense. If we needed only 2 of 5 on the road, it might feel a bit more doable.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2016, 04:45:19 PM »
This was one of Marquette's best performances playing hard as a team for 40 minutes on both ends.

Impressive defense all around. Carter & Co. totally took Jones out of the game in the second half. Sandy, Duane and JJ added some tough perimeter defense, frustrating Butler and forcing them into bad shots at every turn.Even with Luke held scoreless, he contributed 4 or 5 blocks and some big rebounds.

We out-played and out-toughed a very tough and well-coached team. What a great game to watch. Let's hope it's a sign of things to come.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2016, 04:46:03 PM »
as an at large bid it won't happen. Go complain to Broeker

But 0% is not correct. If we win every game but the BEast championship we would not only be in but have a pretty good seed.

I don't think it's likely our what will happen, but it can happen.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2016, 04:48:34 PM »
Two more thoughts...
  • Rosey Jones had 15 in the first half and zero in the second. Kelan Martin had 12 points in 10 minutes of the second half, then went scoreless for 8:21.
  • Both of those happened because of good defense and Marquette making adjustments. Yes, Martin hit a shot late, and also got that prayer 3, but we did a great job on him late on. That is likely on the coaching staff.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2016, 04:51:40 PM »
Hope Traci continues this kind of play. He did not look like a frosh today.
GREAT GAME! JJ has had 2 or 3 very good games in a row. I was wrong
about these two. I Hope for consistency.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2016, 04:53:41 PM »

But 0% is not correct. If we win every game but the BEast championship we would not only be in but have a pretty good seed.

You are correct. I should have said 1%

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2016, 04:58:19 PM »
Two more thoughts...
  • Rosey Jones had 15 in the first half and zero in the second. Kelan Martin had 12 points in 10 minutes of the second half, then went scoreless for 8:21.
  • Both of those happened because of good defense and Marquette making adjustments. Yes, Martin hit a shot late, and also got that prayer 3, but we did a great job on him late on. That is likely on the coaching staff.

This was very evident to me.

All of Jones' buckets came on drives to the right. After the half, Carter played him very differently, making it difficult for Jones to go where he wanted. Traci also got more help; at times Jones had trouble just getting the ball. As a result, Butler's second-half offense looked much more out of sync.

Of course, I wasn't in the locker room. But I'd definitely give Marquette's  coaching staff credit for making a smart adjustment.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2016, 05:02:03 PM »

Maybe he was rounding down from 0.4%

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2016, 05:07:40 PM »
> Best home game of the season
> Maybe the best 35 minutes offensively that MU has put together.  Consistency
> The turnovers are maddening but they are frosh
> I thought this was MU's best match up game.
> Stan Johnson was wild on the sidelines
> Henry, after a slow start, took over.
> Butler seemed overly lucky or else this was a blow out.
> Traci, good Lords
> Great environment today. 
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 05:12:47 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2016, 05:11:08 PM »
This has absolutely zero basis in reality. Just because of a good record and a good league, it doesn't change that 11 of those wins would be pretty much worthless. The voters aren't so dumb to vote for us just because we beat Little Sisters of the Poor 10 times.

You keep acting like mere placement in this league is a divine right to a ranking or a NCAA berth. The reality is we played a sad schedule so we have to overperform to get the kind of recognition other teams in our league can get. 17-5 would do it had we played anyone of note in the non-con. We didn't. We need to win more games to get ranked and need to get 22+ wins to have a shot at the tournament. That's just reality.

To be fair, I back tracked a bit on my previous statement (regarding being in the top 20 at 17-5). I was a bit excited, but I do think that a 17-5 (5-4) Big East team is safely in the field if the tourney started tomorrow, and is definitely in the top 25 conversation. Obviously the tourney doesn't start tomorrow and MU lost to both Belmont and DePaul.  The comment was a hypothetical - HAD Marquette made 1 more basket in those two games. It didn't happen, so of course that isn't "reality".

I hated our non-con/buy game schedule as much as you did, but a few of those teams are not nearly as bad at they appeared to be before the season. Still a horrible schedule that made MUs margin for error tiny. But to say that 11 of those wins are worthless is silly, but if you want to look at it that way - fine - but discount every other teams 250+ RPI wins too.  Plenty of teams in the top 25 or currently in the field also played plenty of cupcakes. MU's final non-conference performance at 11-2 was solid and certainly isn't going to be looked down on.

I don't think MUs place in BE gives them a "divine right" (your words not mine) to anything, but I don't think it hurts. It is one of the better conferences in the country. I don't have the time or care enough to look it up right now, but pretty sure every team who have finished 9-9 or higher in the new big east have danced. I don't think 9-9 does it this year for MU, but I do think 10-8 plus a win in the BET does. 11-7 and they're a cold stone lock. You disagree, and that's fine (edit: although in a subsequent post in this thread you've changed your tune. Now 11-7 gets MU in. You've been pretty consistent in saying 11-7 DOES NOT get MU in prior to today, without at least a win in the BET.). I'd happily wager that if MU were to finish 11-7 (again, as I've said repeatedly, they won't) that they'll get in, even without a win in the BET.  Hate to break it to ya Brew, but your opinion is just that, just another dude's opinion that doesn't mean anything, and it certainly doesn't equate to reality.

Bottom line, hopefully MU puts up 10 or 11 wins and puts our debate to test.   I know we can both agree that would be a wonderful thing. I doubt it'll happen, but I sure as hell hope it does. Being an MU fan since 2008, I got used to being good and dancing every year, so these past two years have been brutal. Maybe that makes me an optimist when it comes to getting back in the NCAAS, but there are so many mediocre teams this year, that a team that finishes 8-3 after a 2-5 start in one of the better conferences in the country, is going to be on the committees radar on selection Sunday weekend.  I trust that the committee will care more about that, than they will about MU beating up on a few too many 300 RPI teams versus 200-250 RPI teams in November. They're going to care more about and be impressed with the young team that began to gel in late January and went on an incredibly impressive run to finish in the top half of one of the best conferences in the country.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 05:19:01 PM by JamilJaeJamailJrJuan »
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2016, 05:13:04 PM »
I think it was a good coaching move getting Carter out of the game with about 4:00 to go.  Despite the fact that he was hitting his shots, he had a couple possessions in a row where he was going a little too fast.  The first time, Wojo told him to slow it down.  The second time, which resulted in a turnover, Wojo pulled him.

When the other team isn't pressing, I think Wojo likes Haanif out there because he plays at a more deliberate pace.  And I think Carter is going to be fine. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2016, 05:14:38 PM »
> Traci, good Lords

Hey Pat, figurin' we've seen da same flicks at da Parkway, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2016, 05:15:23 PM »
I think it was a good coaching move getting Carter out of the game with about 4:00 to go.  Despite the fact that he was hitting his shots, he had a couple possessions in a row where he was going a little too fast.  The first time, Wojo told him to slow it down.  The second time, which resulted in a turnover, Wojo pulled him.

When the other team isn't pressing, I think Wojo likes Haanif out there because he plays at a more deliberate pace.  And I think Carter is going to be fine.

Agreed. And what Carter was doing really well was making 3s. We were up 5 we didn't really need that at the time.

JJJ came in and he's been our best run the offense guy. And Duane is always going to be in late.

Cheatam provided size and good D.

I liked the move.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2016, 05:30:22 PM »
Best game of Henry's career.  Nice job by the team, Wojo, etc.

Progress.  Getting better

6th youngest team out of 350+ teams.

Relax
HE was awesome today. But he needs to come back next year because:
~~We want him to
~~The cash will be there, even more, if he matures one more year
~~Wally wants him to
~~Wojo already knows that HE is his meal ticket and would like him to come back
~~Wojo will refine his big man skills
~~He needs to work on his 3
~~We need him to kick Whisky's ass.
~~Another year and a Tourney run will enhance his NBA resume
~~We want to hear Dickie V rave about him--have not and will not hear it this year unless he gets on ESPN
~~It will give his Rice Lake posse another year to follow him
~~One more year could very well make him the #1 Pick. That is the BIG Ticket.
All of the above is likely wishful dreaming.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2016, 05:32:49 PM »
~~We want him to
~~Wally wants him to
~~We want to hear Dickie V rave about him--have not and will not hear it this year unless he gets on ESPN

Love it! Preach it, brother!

1SE

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2016, 05:37:29 PM »
Could be a real turning of the corner - so nice to see a good all around effort.  Let's keep it going at SH.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2016, 05:40:39 PM »
~~We want him to
~~Wally wants him to

Agreed on all counts except the bolded.  Dickie can retire tomorrow.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2016, 05:46:39 PM »
Got back a little while ago and think this was the best overall effort of the season. Our guys looked good. The inside-out game was clicking and it was nice to see us shooting threes with reasonable accuracy.

Big point raised in here was Big Fishy's contribution. Fishy's defense and his passing made the day. Yes, he didn't score, but who cares when Henry got 30. I thought Big Fishy did the best Dennis Rodman imitation I've seen in awhile.

It's a day at a time. We play like this for the next two games and, guess what, we're really into something. It will prove the experts were right in that we will be a dynamo as the season comes to an end.

By the way, I thought this was Wojo's best coaching job of the past two years. Every phase of the game looked good against a tough opponent.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2016, 06:04:44 PM »
For JJJJ, my contention is and always has been that 23 total wins makes us a lock and 22 gets us on the bubble. The problem with 11-7 is if we lose our first BET game our RPI dips further down.

The soft bubble (seems soft every year) would likely help us, but 10-8 (and 21 wins) would put us in a situation where getting in would be unprecedented in the past 15 years.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2016, 06:14:46 PM »
For JJJJ, my contention is and always has been that 23 total wins makes us a lock and 22 gets us on the bubble. The problem with 11-7 is if we lose our first BET game our RPI dips further down.

The soft bubble (seems soft every year) would likely help us, but 10-8 (and 21 wins) would put us in a situation where getting in would be unprecedented in the past 15 years.

I'm with you. 10-8 and we probably need 2 BET wins. But 10-8 at least gives the chance of an at large heading to NYC.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2016, 06:17:22 PM »
I'm with you. 10-8 and we probably need 2 BET wins. But 10-8 at least gives the chance of an at large heading to NYC.

I agree with this. But I'd still say we've got a shot at 10-8 with 1 win in BET, but likely will be one of the first few left our.

But obviously still a long way to go just to get there.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2016, 06:39:24 PM »
I agree with this. But I'd still say we've got a shot at 10-8 with 1 win in BET, but likely will be one of the first few left our.

But obviously still a long way to go just to get there.

10-8 with 1-1 in NYC gives us the numbers below. Most likely out in that scenario. MAYBE would have a chance if we add on a win against Nova/Xavier

Marquette

W-L   RPI*   SOS
22-11   63   68

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2016, 06:42:34 PM »
~~We want him to
~~Wally wants him to

You forgot one:
~~ He needs to stay to work on his NBA flopping. That one at the end, oy ve.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2016, 06:47:48 PM »
One other thing.

I don't recall Wojo calling a timeout to stop any Butler runs.  He let them play through when Butler had momentum, and the players responded. 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2016, 06:59:52 PM »
Fun game, great win, but this was simply a victory thanks to shooting the ball well. Miss shots, they lose.

Turnovers... MU turned it over on 23.0% of their possessions - poor. Butler only 12.2%. Net TO's: Butler +7
Rebounding.. MU allowed an OR% of 35.0%; got a decent (for us) 30.4%. Net OR's: Butler +7

However... MU shot 63.0% eFG% to Butler's 45.5%. Dunham and Chrabascz shot a combined 1/7 from 3; Butler shot 59.0% on 2-point shots that weren't blocked.. however, with blocks they were at 45.1%. Fischer had zero points, but he was very important again today.

MU's previous BEast best this year was vs. DePaul when they shot 54.8% eFG%. Only games MU shot better this season were against Grambling St. and Maine.

Crazy-good shooting saved MU.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

feedback