Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[May 31, 2024, 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[May 31, 2024, 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[May 31, 2024, 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Is Wojo Telling Us Something  (Read 27297 times)

willie warrior

• All American
Re: Is Wojo Telling Us Something
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2016, 04:42:53 PM »
In Matty V's postgame notes, there was this little nugget:

Wojciechowski on Henry Ellenson (Wojciechowski is asked about Ellenson after nearly every game by the opposing team's media and always talks about his high ceiling, toughness, preparedness, incredible work ethic, love of the game, etc. Tonight he did the same but also used the words below):

"He's a kid who's unpacked his bags. He loves Marquette, he loves being around our team and he's really dedicated to the game."

I hope unpacked his bags means what I think it means :-)
Funny he said it in Providence. Could mean he liked it so much that he wants to transfer there. Would not read too much into Wojo's coach speak.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2016, 04:52:33 PM »
Funny he said it in Providence. Could mean he liked it so much that he wants to transfer there.

Henry-shima?

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2016, 05:27:43 PM »

I'd say Ellenson's ceiling is about the same as Doug McDermott's. 

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2016, 05:30:58 PM »
HE is a great player for us...but I'm missing something every NBA scout sees.  His mid-range game is nice, but he struggles from deep and struggles to get to the rim.  I'm also not sure who he guards at that level?  I get that the NBA drafts for potential, but HE has a long way to go IMHO.  I say take the $...but think a few years of college would do his game well.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2016, 05:41:07 PM »
I was hoping from the title of the thread that Scoop had started another letter writing campaign, and Wojo was going off Lada-like.  Color me disappointed

PistolPete

• Starter
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2016, 05:45:17 PM »
HE is a great player for us...but I'm missing something every NBA scout sees.  His mid-range game is nice, but he struggles from deep and struggles to get to the rim.  I'm also not sure who he guards at that level?  I get that the NBA drafts for potential, but HE has a long way to go IMHO.  I say take the $...but think a few years of college would do his game well.

...which is probably why you're not an NBA scout. You're looking through a different lens. Most 18 year old kids have a long way to go. HE is no exception.

To those that say 'well, it sure would be cool to continue playing with his older brother'... if I'm Wally, there is not a chance in hell I'm letting him pass up guaranteed, grade A, once in a lifetime first round cheese.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2016, 05:51:26 PM »
Henry-shima?

Now Wojo is playing mind games with us

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2016, 05:56:36 PM »
I can't believe it.  Wojo just confirmed Hank will be redshirting next season and staying for 5 years at MU.  Unbelievable!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brandx

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2016, 06:35:51 PM »
but think a few years of college would do his game well.

I don't understand that. What would it do for his game?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2016, 07:17:03 PM »
I don't understand that. What would it do for his game?

Make him an older player.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2016, 07:18:20 PM »
There's no cryptic message. Hey, enjoy Henry for as short as he's gonna be here, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2016, 07:39:19 PM »
Make him an older player.
I think there is a level of development that can take place at the college level that really benefits certain types of players.  Obviously for every Duncan there is a Kobe or Labron.  I'd take the  $$$$.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2016, 07:44:14 PM »
...which is probably why you're not an NBA scout. You're looking through a different lens. Most 18 year old kids have a long way to go. HE is no exception.

To those that say 'well, it sure would be cool to continue playing with his older brother'... if I'm Wally, there is not a chance in hell I'm letting him pass up guaranteed, grade A, once in a lifetime first round cheese.

I get the lens.  I'm not seeing the potential...don't see the athleticism of a garnett or durant.  Don't see a lights out shooting ability.  I look at what jabari did as a freshman...and I get he's not projected at that level...just not seeing how his game translates to the league.  Haven't heard any comparisons to nba'ers that make sense to me.  Maybe a Dirk type player?  Obviously hope like hell that I'm wrong and he becomes another Wade for MU.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 07:46:18 PM by avid1010 »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2016, 07:49:57 PM »
There's no cryptic message. Hey, enjoy Henry for as short as he's gonna be here, hey?

You pulling his teeth too, mo'la?

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2016, 08:51:48 PM »
If Henry stays, our floor is the Elite 8. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

jsheim

« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2016, 10:34:27 PM »
Amazing the creds you get for a block...HE needs to hit some threes and go strong to the hoop....then I'll concede the NBA stuff...right now he's still got too many weak points.

Dont get me wrong, i hope the best....but he has to do it on the floor for multiple games.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2016, 10:38:09 PM »
Amazing the creds you get for a block...HE needs to hit some threes and go strong to the hoop....then I'll concede the NBA stuff...right now he's still got too many weak points.

Dont get me wrong, i hope the best....but he has to do it on the floor for multiple games.

Danny Ainge wasn't there to look at the Mache Bro
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2016, 07:44:06 AM »

Completely agree, which I know, disqualifies us as NBA scouts.   I'm eager to change my mind if he's awesome during the next 10+ BE games.

Scouts still have him as a Round 1 guy, so he's gone .. Wally is our best hope to keep him here.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2016, 07:49:56 AM »

You understand that nobody who is 19 years old, sans Lebron, is or will be ready for the NBA?   It is about potential and ceiling, and if you dont think that Henry is not the most skilled guy on the court with the most potential than you are nuts. 
FYI:  Henry wont stay just because 4 dudes on the Marquette message board said he wasnt ready.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2016, 08:05:26 AM »
You understand that nobody who is 19 years old, sans Lebron, is or will be ready for the NBA?   It is about potential and ceiling, and if you dont think that Henry is not the most skilled guy on the court with the most potential than you are nuts. 
FYI:  Henry wont stay just because 4 dudes on the Marquette message board said he wasnt ready.

Durant, Anthony Davis, Garnett, Kobe, Rose, Wall, Porzingis etc etc. Lots of 18/19 year olds come in ready for the league. I don't think Henry will be like any of those guys. I do think he will still go pro this year, regardless of "readiness," and be a high draft pick.

brandx

« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2016, 08:20:35 AM »
I think there is a level of development that can take place at the college level that really benefits certain types of players.  Obviously for every Duncan there is a Kobe or Labron.  I'd take the  $$$$.

What's a LaBron?

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2016, 08:28:33 AM »

He's going to be a first rounder if he decides to go, of course, and probably a lottery pick.  He is skilled in that he has excellent hands and handles the ball better than the average guy his size, but its not like you can use him to dribble to beat the press.  He is currently not a particularly good shooter and really lacks strength and athleticism (which I really find as weird because he is always described as athletic.  Athletic to me means quick and bouncy and Henry is certainly neither of those things).  The strength can and will be addressed, and he has a nice stroke so I expect he will be a good shooter, but his lack of athleticism makes me wonder what his NBA ceiling is, because he's going to have trouble guardning anybody at the next level.

What I like most about him is that he seems to have a great instincts.  I don't know how you quantify that, but he does.  Right now, he does a lot of things technically wrong.  He doesn't box out well but he is a still an excellent rebounder because he has a good feel for where the ball is going to come off the rim and he has great hands and always corrals the ball when it is within his reach.  As he gets more experience and technically proficient he will just get better at that skill.

What makes it hard for many  to see is that a guy like Ben Bentil at Providence looks to me like a better player ina lot of ways right now and is only one year older, but is not remotely as highly regarded for the next level.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

brandx

« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2016, 08:28:42 AM »
Durant, Anthony Davis, Garnett, Kobe, Rose, Wall, Porzingis etc etc. Lots of 18/19 year olds come in ready for the league. I don't think Henry will be like any of those guys. I do think he will still go pro this year, regardless of "readiness," and be a high draft pick.

That's a fair comparison. Pick a bunch of HOF caliber players and say HE isn't as good.

And Kobe is the only 18 yr old on the list. Half of your list were 20 when they played their first game, not 18/19.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2016, 08:48:15 AM »
The NBA is better with playing the long-run game with player development than it was 10-15 years ago.  Barring injury, Henry will have a long NBA career for many of the reasons stated above...skills, instinct, body type, etc.  He has a good touch on his jump shot - NBA coaches will work on his shot and eventually extend his range.  They will work on his footwork.  They will get him into a high level S&C environment.

I think people don't understand that one-and-done types don't always come in and dominate the college game.  They are oftentimes very athletic...or very skilled...but oftentimes very raw.  Henry is *the* best freshman I have seen at Marquette.  If he sticks around for another year, I will very surprised but very pleased.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2016, 08:55:21 AM »
That's a fair comparison. Pick a bunch of HOF caliber players and say HE isn't as good.

And Kobe is the only 18 yr old on the list. Half of your list were 20 when they played their first game, not 18/19.

Wasn't a comparison, just refuting Kenosha's idea that nobody who is 19 years old comes in ready for the league. Henry will be just fine regardless of when he decides to leave. A long, prosperous NBA career awaits.