Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Man, a lot of time on the East Coast  (Read 4563 times)

ecompt

• All American
Man, a lot of time on the East Coast
« on: July 13, 2007, 11:59:39 PM »
Just after I move to Erie, the team schedules games at Seton Hall, St., John's, UConn and Philly in the same season. Looks like I'll be putting some miles on the old '01 Sienna van. 

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: Man, a lot of time on the East Coast
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 03:47:34 AM »
My parents have that one...not good mileage now... :-\
SS Marquette

MileHigh

• Team Captain
  • Go Warriors!
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 06:32:21 PM »
hopefully all the east coast alumni come out to the games

gjreda

• Team Captain
  • I miss Real Chili.
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 09:01:08 PM »
Anyone know when the dates for the games will be released?  If it is a weekend game at Nova, I know myself and some friends plan on making the drive to Philly from MU.

Schoolyard

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 10:05:11 AM »
Seton Hall, SJU & Rutgers are such beat opponents that I always hope for road games against them.  I hate watching them in the BC but love getting an excuse to get to NYC.
My handle is Schoolyard but I do my best work at Finley Dunnes...Joe Kenny in '08

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 10:41:54 AM »
ecompt----didn't know you were in Erie-------but since you are there you can spend time watching Gannon college play BB!

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 01:19:11 PM »
Seton Hall, SJU & Rutgers are such beat opponents that I always hope for road games against them.  I hate watching them in the BC but love getting an excuse to get to NYC.

That's because it's almost always more fun to win on the road than beat someone up at home...unless that someone is Madison, ND, Pitt, etc then it's fun either way

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 11:28:04 AM »
hopefully all the east coast alumni come out to the games
I'll be at the four mentioned by ecompt.  Gotta love being in the Big East!
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 02:08:08 PM »
dreary erie.
the mistake on the lake.

good luck to you
 ::)

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2007, 06:45:35 PM »
Erie is actually quite nice in the summer...seven miles of nice beaches.
Murff, I edit Gannon stories all the time at the local paper but haven't been to a game yet. What's your Gannon connection?

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2007, 09:22:17 PM »
Back in 1966 my HS coach Jim Harding was the HC at Gannon----went out there several times----he was there a few seasons and did very well----probably the best in the school's history-----you might look him up in the archives----he was quite a      guy.

BTW----those nice beaches you talk about weren't so nice back in those days====I recall throwing a quarter into Lake Erie and it wouldn't sink-----pollution!

Also back then (June 1966) there was a truck driver driving to Erie from Astabula (Ohio)-----supposedly he saw a flying saucer land----made the national news as it seemed very authentic-----but never had legs!

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2007, 09:50:50 AM »
Lake Erie has been cleaned up considerably since then. And there have no reports of flying saucers lately. Looked up Jim Harding--he had quite a record, and a Bobby Knight-like reputation. What was it like playing for him?

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2007, 10:36:02 AM »
He scared us all to death into playing better. It was like boot camp----but very effective as he was extremely knowledgeable with the intracacies of the game----in fact I've never talked BB or heard anyone talk BB that made more sense to me and that includes Wooden, Pete Newell, Rick Majerus, Jack Bennett, Al, Hank, Hickey, etc (all of whom I respect very much----and all HOF coaches (or will be) except Hank & Jack).

If you ever get a chance read Connie Hawkins book-----Jim coached him with the Minnesota Pipers of the old ABA-----Connie devotes the better part of 2 chapters to Jim Harding------concludes by saying, "never in my life have I met a man who knew so much about basketball as Jim Harding. He has the game broken down into every little detail. He's a genius"!

Jim had a violent temper which hurt his recruiting----for example midway through his last season with the Pipers he punched out the owner (Gabe Rubin) after a heated argument on how to treat players----of course he was fired. The Pipers were in first place at the time----Vern Mikelson a former teammate of George Mikan with the lakers and a former NBA all star took over for Jim-----guess what, the Pipers finished far down in the standings at seasons end!

Jim was a finalist for the MU job in both 1958 when Hickey got the job and in 1963 when Al got the job-----he had just burned too many bridges n the Milwaukee area for his handling of players at MUHS (but had a 59 & 9 record over 3 years)----his first year at MUHS (1954) we were voted the 2nd best Catholic HS team in the country by the "New World" the Chicago Archdiocese newspaper----his next two years he did it with mirrors as he had the worst talent those two years MUHS has ever had.

I picked his brain regularily(stayed up many a night to 3-4:00 in the AM talking BB) both prior to and during my coaching career, which allowed me to have a great deal more success than i otherwise would have had at a very young age!

BTW, Jim developed a very good friendship with a Dr. Levi or Levy or Leevey (not sure about the spelling) who was a huge benefactor of Gannon-----I don't know if he's still in Erie or if he's even alive----but he'd be a great interview for you if you are a sports writer or if not for one of your paper's staff!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 10:43:08 AM by Murffieus »

tomp

• Walk-On
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2007, 11:23:35 AM »
My memory of Jim Harding was as a student at MUHS. He was an abusive history teacher, with the premier event occurring when he  assaulted a blind student, throwing him against a locker because was still in the hall after the bell rang. Mr harding left that year as I recall.

HarveysWallbangers

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2007, 11:36:46 AM »
My memory of Jim Harding was as a student at MUHS. He was an abusive history teacher, with the premier event occurring when he  assaulted a blind student, throwing him against a locker because was still in the hall after the bell rang. Mr harding left that year as I recall.

Being blind is not an excuse for not hearing the bell ring.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2007, 03:00:13 PM »
Just after I move to Erie, the team schedules games at Seton Hall, St., John's, UConn and Philly in the same season. Looks like I'll be putting some miles on the old '01 Sienna van. 

Ecompt,

I'm with ya.  I am often in Stroudsburg during the week so I will definitely be making Nova and the Hall.  St. John's may be a little tougher based on schedule, but I'll be in MSG for the tourney baby!

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2007, 04:09:39 PM »

Being blind is not an excuse for not hearing the bell ring.

thats right. zero tolerance!

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2007, 04:33:27 PM »
Anybody else heading to Morgantown??  I may be doing UConn as well, but with so many of the East Coast games during the week, the others are too difficult logistically.

The Man in Gold

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2007, 04:40:03 PM »
Holy Crap, someone else lives in Erie.  I can't say I'm particularly looking forward to moving back there in early February, but I hear the weather is wonderful that time of year.   ;D
Captain, We need more sweatervests!  TheManInGold has been blinded by the light (off the technicolor sweatervest)

MileHigh

• Team Captain
  • Go Warriors!
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2007, 04:41:40 PM »

Ecompt,

I'm with ya.  I am often in Stroudsburg during the week so I will definitely be making Nova and the Hall.  St. John's may be a little tougher based on schedule, but I'll be in MSG for the tourney baby!

Big East Tourney starts the day of spring break!  Definitely going