Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

If Wojo lands a 2016 Grad Transfer, would you prefer a PF or PG?

Power Forward
79 (55.2%)
Point Guard
64 (44.8%)

Total Members Voted: 142

Voting closed: April 29, 2016, 01:59:55 PM

Author Topic: Biggest Need on This Team?  (Read 15307 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Biggest Need on This Team?
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2016, 01:50:59 PM »
Not if he pulls an Ellenson, hey?

Man, if central Arkansas lands a top 30 player
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2016, 02:24:05 PM »
Nah, they develop forwards der, not point guards, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2016, 04:42:25 PM »
Man, if central Arkansas lands a top 30 player

No way, Northern Arizona got in on him earlier.

Biggest need for a graduate transfer?  Power forward.  However, I voted for PG because I got snuckered by the thread title into thinking that the pole was about right this instant.

Brewcity77, do I detect a bias against Rowsey's ability to play the point?  You've got him mentioned after our two current point guards and Duane, as well.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 04:46:44 PM by Crean to Ann Arbor »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2016, 06:04:19 PM »
A 6-9 or 6-8 240 lb power forward with decent athletic ability, who likes to mix it up under the boards.
Example--build of Charlie Thomas at Wisconsin.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2016, 07:11:05 PM »
Brewcity77, do I detect a bias against Rowsey's ability to play the point?  You've got him mentioned after our two current point guards and Duane, as well.

There was no particular order to the player listing. As far as Rowsey, personally I just view him as a shooting guard. He led Asheville in percentage of shots taken both of his years there. Maybe he can adapt to playing the point, but his play tendencies is to be more a scorer than a provider.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2016, 05:09:04 AM »
I think the "timeouts" that are broadcast are the worst thing for every coach.  What you hear there is NOT what coaches usually talk to the team about.  For the love of god, Willard was talking about Luke having a picnic or something.  It's OK if you don't like Wojos coaching, but don't believe for a second that the timeout look-ins are coaching.

During the after game "interview" coach talked about the young team and lack of playing toughness, apparently that was on his mind.  He could have talked about hook shots missed, or failure to get the ball into the post, our the closing of driving lanes in the second half, or something  about the game plan, but he didnt.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2016, 04:43:57 PM »
I think we can all agree that D.Willis the JUCO originally from Mad Memorial would have been a major coup for Wojo next year.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2016, 06:35:56 PM »
 :o Who in the heck said PG????????????????????

REALLY?

PG is NOT this teams problem. Are you kidding me? Do you watch the game?

They are fine at PG. It is the power positions they lack depth and scoring if not someone to take hard fouls.

PG? 38 people said that. What in the world am I missing here? Explain that to me.  This poll should have been obvious.

Easily PF. EASILY.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2016, 06:39:41 PM »
A 6-9 or 6-8 240 lb power forward with decent athletic ability, who likes to mix it up under the boards.
Example--build of Charlie Thomas at Wisconsin.
absolutely. I WAS GOING TO SAY THIS BEFORE...but did not want to say Badgers players on this board...now I will.

They need a Vito Brown and Nigel Hayes type players....put both of them on this team now it is an Elite 8 team.   

They need some wide bodied grunts....who can post up and or hit the mid range if left open and crash the boards.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2016, 06:43:20 PM »
Well, if the guards we have can't score from outside, perhaps they could learn to make effective entry passes to the bigs we now (uncharacteristically) have. It seemed that  the entry passes that got there were outnumbered by those taken away. The second problem was that once the bigs got the rock down low, they couldn't finish well with contact. That half was stone-face ugly and there was no change or adjustment in the face of it, which is on Wojo and his staff. Can't throw these guys under the bus but I'm getting the idea that lots and lots of patience is going to be required.
Delusions. I watch that game and saw no bad entry passes. You are all nuts.

It is the Bigs getting manhandled that they are being pushed off the block and can't catch the ball. The PG can't catch it for them too.

If that is how you all feel about the PG play hell, Traci should just shoot the ball if they are not set up. SHOOT IT or take it yourself.

Plays break down and they have to do it themselves because the big's stop working when they are pushed.... 

I watched that entire game and purposefully watch the entry passes. Not one was off...I have no idea what any of you are talking about.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 06:46:09 PM by MUHoopsFan2 »

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2016, 06:50:42 PM »
One thing that has been proven at MU beyond any doubt is that College B-ball is a guard's game.  All through the Crean era and much the Buzz's tenure we had great guards (especially point guards) but undersized front courts.  We used to always complain, "if we had a true center, if we had some size up front, yada yada".  We now we have it but don't have the good guard play and look at what happens.  Exhibit B is Buzz's last season.  The best scoring big man we've had in years backed up by a 6 year 6'10" center and another 6'7"low post player and what does it get us, a 500 season and no post season.  Its a guards game period.  If Traci was able to play like D James as a freshman or Diener as a freshman we'd be just fine.  Good tough guards can rebound but 6-10 guys can't drive and create.  That's what is missing.  Look at how often a SH guard drove and dished for an easy layup by anther player.  I like Haanif but once he goes to the lane he never passes.  Traci, well I hate to say it but, Derek would have created more shot opportunities than Traci did last night.  We realized that the biggest concern was experience at the point and we had to hope Traci was the second coming of DJ.  He's not and I'm very concerned that by the time he gets there the front court power will be gone. 
Can I ask you a question...seriously? WHAT SHOT OPPORTUNITES could Traci create for others with the Bigs getting manhandled? Answer me that?

If anything Traci should have took the ball to the hoop more once he saw them back down from the Hoyas. You blaming this on a freshman PG when its not him.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2016, 10:58:11 PM »
Well, if we could get an elite PG -- Diener-quality at the very least, but preferably Chris Paul, ha! -- I'd say PG.

But ...

We already have a young PG who plays decently and should get better. And we already have a couple decent PG options (and another coming in). If Henry goes, however, we have zero PFs. Zero.

I'm kind of like most NFL GMs -- I go for the best player available. So if the choice is just some PF or an excellent PG, I go for the excellent PG. If it's a very good PF or an okay PG, I go for the very good PF.

If it's a decent PG or a decent PF, I go for the decent PF simply because of the need. We already have decent PGs.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2016, 11:14:59 PM »
Rowsey is a Diener-esque shooter.

I hope you are right, tower. We heard similar comparisons for Thomas. God knows we could use a shooter on this team.

Death on call

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2016, 09:43:41 AM »
There was no particular order to the player listing. As far as Rowsey, personally I just view him as a shooting guard. He led Asheville in percentage of shots taken both of his years there. Maybe he can adapt to playing the point, but his play tendencies is to be more a scorer than a provider.

I have attributed Rowsey's percentage of shots taken as a result of him being the only high major quality player on his team.  I must admit that I had an erroneous impression that he averaged more than 3 assists a game though.  One of my pet peeves is people assuming what position a player will play based solely on a physical attribute like height.  This time maybe I fell into that trap.  It will certainly be easier to get Rowsey on the floor if he does have or is developing PG skills since MU is thinner at that position, but wishing won't make it so.  Maybe this coaching staff can.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2016, 06:23:55 PM »
Need someone who can strap it on, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Wojo Era

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2016, 06:52:10 PM »
more wins

Meathead

• Walk-On
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2016, 08:53:05 PM »
Buzz Williams

We eek out a win against 248th St. John's, while Buzz is in a dogfight against #5 North Carolina losing by 5.

But, our team now does have the nicer, more clean cut, traditional appearance that some wanted.  Ugh.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2016, 07:08:28 AM »
Buzz Williams

We eek out a win against 248th St. John's, while Buzz is in a dogfight against #5 North Carolina losing by 5.

But, our team now does have the nicer, more clean cut, traditional appearance that some wanted.  Ugh.

VA Tech lost a home game in which they never had a win probability of greater than 40% and for the majority of the game were short of 25%.

Their transfers helped keep it from being a blowout, but VA Tech now projects to have a worse W-L record in 2015-16 than does MU. *shrug*
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2016, 08:23:32 AM »
Buzz Williams

Is your family proud of your casual racism, or do they just put their heads in their hands often when you speak?

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2016, 09:50:25 AM »
Is your family proud of your casual racism, or do they just put their heads in their hands often when you speak?

A little harsh, no?  The appearance of the team is vastly different since Buzz was here.  There is no denying that.  I don't think that means a damn with respect to performance on the court...Wojo will be fine and has a really really strong young core.  Just looks like we'll have to wait another year to get back to the dance, which sucks balls.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2016, 09:51:18 AM »
We need a Novak or Diener quality shooter!  This is getting so frustrating watching these guys bang shots off the rim. Meanwhile we don't get the rebound because we are running back on defense.

Ding! Ding! Ding! I don't care what position....just score from the perimeter.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2016, 10:30:57 AM »
Ding! Ding! Ding! I don't care what position....just score from the perimeter.
Yes, a guy like either would be great. Novak? 6'10" and daggers from 3. Those guys come around every decade or so, so maybe our time to get another is due. It ain't HE.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2016, 10:36:25 AM »
Buzz Williams

When I saw this post had been bumped, I was going to respond with something facetious like, "We need more Scoopers to call for Wojo to be fired."

But I didn't have to, because dopes like you do it for me.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

🏀

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2016, 10:45:16 AM »
A little harsh, no?  The appearance of the team is vastly different since Buzz was here.  There is no denying that.  I don't think that means a damn with respect to performance on the court...Wojo will be fine and has a really really strong young core.  Just looks like we'll have to wait another year to get back to the dance, which sucks balls.

Considering his posting history, not harsh enough.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2016, 10:47:51 AM »
Considering his posting history, not harsh enough.

Fair enough, not too familiar with it.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.