[Today at 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Regular season thoughts  (Read 38497 times)

Marcus92

• All American
Re: Regular season thoughts
« Reply #175 on: March 14, 2016, 12:44:58 PM »
What's really sad is, people are now happy with showing an improvement from winning 4 BE games to 8 BE games.

I don't know anyone who's happy with a 7th place conference finish and missing the NCAAs. I know I'm not, as I've said many times. It's simple: this year the team showed clear improvement. Improvement is better than the alternative. And there are reasons to believe it will continue (Wojo's background with Duke and the Olympic program, recruiting success, et cetera).

Okay, so what...Wojo lost a lot of recruits, lots of programs do every year...Duke does, Kentucky does etc etc. They don't rebuild, they reload. I can understand a year missing the NCAA's after such a big change, but going on year 3 now?? How does a program that close to being elite, fall so far so fast??

Again...I will keep asking until someone answers me, because I want all of you to understand the reality of the situation...has any team in America, that's a major program fallen so far, so fast in a few years like MU has??

It happens. In 2008-09, Billy Gillespie was fired from Kentucky after finished 22-14 (8-8 in the SEC) — just four years removed from an Elite Eight appearance. His record the previous year was 18-13. Tubby Smith's records the previous two seasons were 22-12 and 22-13. That doesn't sound like reloading. Eventually, UK found its mojo. But it wandered in the wilderness for a few seasons.

Same with North Carolina following Dean Smith's retirement. Guthridge was let go after a 22-14 season in 1999-00 — just 2 years after reaching the Final Four. His replacement, Matt Doherty, started 26-7 but tanked the next season at 8-20 and was let go the following year.

The signs are obvious...MU will likely never come as close to being an elite program again, due to many factors, but who would have thought, they'd be slightly above the Deane years now??

All programs have ups and downs — even when you're talking about the greatest teams in college basketball history. Duke wasn't the juggernaut it is today when Coach K stepped in.

You don't have to like the fact that Marquette has been down. You can disagree that Marquette is on the way up, or that it's progressing fast enough. But going through a downturn isn't automatically a sign that the program is doomed. That's just Chicken Little thinking.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #176 on: March 14, 2016, 12:49:36 PM »
Lenny can't even spell Dwyane Wade's name right....good Lord

I misspell Wade's oddball spelling of his first name once in probably hundreds of typings and you feel it's worth TWO posts? Really? Is that all you've got?

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #177 on: March 14, 2016, 02:15:22 PM »
Oh I understood his rationale but it was anything but rational.

I forgot how much I loved posting on 'scoop.

I apologize for brainstorming out loud as to why my passion for the program has waned. I also apologize for having different feelings than you.

I look forward to reading your logical and well-researched thoughts from here on out. It's refreshing to find someone so rational to model myself after.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 04:17:27 PM by Utile et Dulce »
Marquette Basketball on Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/mubb

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #178 on: March 14, 2016, 08:06:33 PM »
You can't really call this Wojo's 3rd recruiting class considering when recruitment for the class of 2014 was going on he was still recruiting for Duke and by the time he got the MU job there was nothing left to recruit besides transfers, of which he got one of the best available but is not a part of the roster anymore.

For all intents and purposes, this freshman class was his first recruiting class, and it is a damn good one.

So Buzz reupped Sandy and signed Levin and Carlino? And Nick? Tried to rerecruit Hill, Shayok, Pierce to Marquette? Nick implodes and Traci signs.  #revisionism

Fast forward a couple weeks and my dog could have predicted Odd Todd would be gone, but wasting a roster spot.  A couple  of months later and Levin transfers after getting recruited over BEFORE practice starts. 

Fast forward a couple of months and Magic and Deonte transfer.  JD then becomes leading scorer on his D1 team while D becomes the B12 Newcomer of the Year.  An unnamed new walk-on lasts a few days.

Fast forward to the end of the year and one of the twins exits while Wojo's baby sitter's best friend transfers.

Next is a lottery pick and other(s) transfers...
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 09:35:20 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #179 on: March 14, 2016, 08:34:55 PM »
So Buzz reupped Sandy and signed Levin? And Nick? Tried to rerecruit Hill, Shayok, Pierce to Marquette? Nick implodes and Traci signs.  #revisionism

Fast forward a couple weeks and my dog could have predicted Odd Todd would be gone, but wasting a roster spot.  A couple  of months later and Levin transfers after getting recruited over BEFORE practice starts. 

Fast forward a couple of months and Magic and Deonte transfer.  JD then becomes leading scorer on his D1 team while D becomes the B12 Newcomer of the Year.  An unnamed new walk-on lasts a few days.

Fast forward to the end of the year and one of the twins exits while Wojo's baby sitter's best friend transfers.

He had to try to get all of Buzz's guys. It was April at the time of the hire. Almost all recruits are signed or committed at that point. He's trying to field a team, and obviously you have a better chance with kids that have already been recruited by Marquette than trying to make up years worth of recruiting time in 2 weeks.

Not going to take the time to argue all the other points. Too tired of this. Coaching changes happen and players leave. It's not unexpected. And to blame it on Wojo is ludicrous.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #180 on: March 14, 2016, 08:38:54 PM »
So Buzz reupped Sandy and signed Levin? And Nick? Tried to rerecruit Hill, Shayok, Pierce to Marquette? Nick implodes and Traci signs.  #revisionism

Can anyone translate?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #181 on: March 14, 2016, 08:56:57 PM »
Jabari Parker baby sat wojo's kids.  Steve Taylor was his best friend in high school.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #182 on: March 14, 2016, 08:58:35 PM »
Can anyone translate?

The two day walk-on Pete Thaus, Matt Mache, Steve Taylor (Jabari Parker), Henry Ellenson and TBDs

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #183 on: March 14, 2016, 09:00:10 PM »
The two day walk-on Pete Thaus,

I forgot about him -- didnt he even get an official PR....weird 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #184 on: March 14, 2016, 09:06:22 PM »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #186 on: March 14, 2016, 09:12:23 PM »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #187 on: March 14, 2016, 10:03:39 PM »
So Buzz reupped Sandy and signed Levin and Carlino? And Nick? Tried to rerecruit Hill, Shayok, Pierce to Marquette? Nick implodes and Traci signs.  #revisionism

An accurate analysis.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire