[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bo Ryan retiring end of semester  (Read 76006 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: Bo Ryan retiring end of semester
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2015, 06:38:25 AM »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2015, 06:46:40 AM »
Genius move on Bo's part. Wasn't gonna win the Gard pissin' scrum with Sir Barry. So, he figured he'd paint Alvarez inta a corner where he had no choice but ta hire Gard. His interim status is essentially a workin' interview, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2015, 06:59:04 AM »
Genius move on Bo's part. Wasn't gonna win the Gard pissin' scrum with Sir Barry. So, he figured he'd paint Alvarez inta a corner where he had no choice but ta hire Gard. His interim status is essentially a workin' interview, ai na?

While certainly Bo's objective, I don't think Barry is in a corner at all.  He'll do a comprehensive search.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2015, 06:59:31 AM »

Right, he probably had this planned all along. There is obviously a pissing match going on between Bo and Barry. Except this will probably back fire on Bo and Gard because Alvarez isn’t going to let them get their way no matter what Gard does. On top of that Wisconsin sucks this year so Bo set up Gard for failure. 

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2015, 07:07:32 AM »
How many transfers are we going to see? If I were a player at UW-Madison I'd be pissed. I didn't sign up for a losing team with a no-name coach.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2015, 07:10:17 AM »
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

🏀

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2015, 07:23:58 AM »
This is fantastic for the world

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2015, 07:37:39 AM »
While certainly Bo's objective, I don't think Barry is in a corner at all.  He'll do a comprehensive search.

Maybe.  But I'm sure that Michigan and UCLA both planned to do comprehensive search the day Bill Frieder and Jim Harrack left. 

Fisher's and Lavin's respective performances in their interim roles made it nearly impossible for their teams to do anything other than remove the interim tag.

Bo's timing was set up to give Gard has his shot at the head coaching job.  If he succeeds--either by winning or by landing some big-time recruits--it will be pretty difficult for Wisconsin to hire anyone else.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2015, 07:40:21 AM »
This could give some new life to the MU/Wisco rivalry if they get a big name.... not that there wasn't already enough hate there, but just something fresh, maybe building a new era of the rivalry with two young coaches.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2015, 07:48:43 AM »
Maybe.  But I'm sure that Michigan and UCLA both planned to do comprehensive search the day Bill Frieder and Jim Harrack left. 

Fisher's and Lavin's respective performances in their interim roles made it nearly impossible for their teams to do anything other than remove the interim tag.

Bo's timing was set up to give Gard has his shot at the head coaching job.  If he succeeds--either by winning or by landing some big-time recruits--it will be pretty difficult for Wisconsin to hire anyone else.

Barry walks on water to Wisconsin fans. If he wants to do a search and hire someone else no one is going to say anything regardless of what Gard does. Alvarez will get his way in the end.

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2015, 08:07:15 AM »
Unless he signed another extension after last season it looks like Bennett's buyout isn't that big. Started at $1.4M but goes down $200K each season. That would make his buyout only $1M after this season.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/tony-bennett-signs-seven-year-contract-extension-to-coach-virginia-mens-basketball/2014/06/03/e82d718e-eb69-11e3-93d2-edd4be1f5d9e_story.html

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2015, 08:10:01 AM »
Nothing but respect. Competition brings out the best in all of us. Congratulations to Bo on a great career.
We Are Marquette

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2015, 08:16:24 AM »
Bo cooled on UW

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2015, 08:22:50 AM »

No disagreement from me.  But those are two HUGE ifs.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2015, 08:33:30 AM »
People shouldnt dismiss the idea of Tony Bennett to Wisconsin so quickly. At least at one point in his career, it was his dream job. IDK what hes thinking now
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2015, 08:43:36 AM »
People shouldnt dismiss the idea of Tony Bennett to Wisconsin so quickly. At least at one point in his career, it was his dream job. IDK what hes thinking now

It's my understanding when he renegotiated his contract last year there were significant roadblocks for him to get out of the contract for Wisconsin specifically.

That is the interesting question though, assuming Gard doesn't lose the interim tag, who is the most likely person to take that job.  In theory it would be Bennett but I'm not sure he can/wants to take the job.  They aren't going to the Rob Jeter path if they aren't going Gard.....so that about exhausts the Bo/Bennett coaching tree.

Would they go to a coach with a totally different style of play?  If so, this could be a longer rebuild because it's not like Wisconsin was pulling in top 100 talent, they were much more of a system play than a talent play.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

chapman

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2015, 08:44:50 AM »
I'm doubly glad for our win on Saturday.  Had UW won, he probably would have made that his last game, and we'd have to hear about him going out with a remarkable come from behind win over MU.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2015, 08:47:18 AM »
It's my understanding when he renegotiated his contract last year there were significant roadblocks for him to get out of the contract for Wisconsin specifically.

That is the interesting question though, assuming Gard doesn't lose the interim tag, who is the most likely person to take that job.  In theory it would be Bennett but I'm not sure he can/wants to take the job.  They aren't going to the Rob Jeter path if they aren't going Gard.....so that about exhausts the Bo/Bennett coaching tree.

Would they go to a coach with a totally different style of play?  If so, this could be a longer rebuild because it's not like Wisconsin was pulling in top 100 talent, they were much more of a system play than a talent play.

Podcast, podcast, podcast. (Or did you record it already 10 minutes prior to the announcement?)

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #68 on: December 16, 2015, 08:48:12 AM »

True, and the way Bo's posse treated his dad's move with Soderberg probably doesn't help.

They could do a lot worse than Ben Jacobson at UNI. Stylistically, they're not far off how UW used to play. The transition wouldn't be as bad for the current roster.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2015, 08:52:24 AM »
Still looks like the Planet of the Apes boss when he has a "What kind of a call was that' expression

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2015, 08:56:43 AM »
No disagreement from me.  But those are two HUGE ifs.

Agreed.  I think this move essentially guarantees Gard is gone.  If they can't beat Western Illinois and UWM with Bo, I seriously doubt they'll go over .500 in the Big Twelethirfourteen with Gard.

And how does a coach with "interim" in the title and an AD who clearly doesn't support him get big-time recruits?

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2015, 08:56:50 AM »

has anyone on here dismissed that idea?  I for one think that it will be Tony B. next year.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #72 on: December 16, 2015, 08:57:05 AM »
Bennett's contract was re-worked to try and keep him away from Becky:

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball-news/4649272-tony-bennett-uva-contract-ncaa-basketball
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

Goose

• All American
« Reply #73 on: December 16, 2015, 08:57:49 AM »
I think it will be Bennett or Smart.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 16, 2015, 09:00:30 AM »
Bo arguing that he wanted to step down last year but Gard's dad was dying so didn't want Greg to have to deal with that and new coaching job.  Now that Gard's father has died he has time to take the position (So Bo can leave).

My brother said that he heard this was a compromise worked out between Bo and Barry and was supposed to take place this fall, but Gard's dad was diagnosed with cancer earlier this year and died just in in October. Bo stayed on until Gard was ready.  (Not that Barry was happy about this.)

And yes there are rumors than a personal issue (not health) is pushing Bo into retirement.

feedback