[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bo Ryan retiring end of semester  (Read 76011 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Bo Ryan retiring end of semester
« Reply #75 on: December 16, 2015, 09:01:32 AM »
I think it will be Bennett or Smart.

Smart isn't leaving Texas.  It's a better job than UW.

A lot of people are dismissing Bennett but I think that is more likely.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #76 on: December 16, 2015, 09:04:36 AM »
Bob and Brian radio show (not a sports show) said this this am.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #77 on: December 16, 2015, 09:08:06 AM »
has anyone on here dismissed that idea?  I for one think that it will be Tony B. next year.

Bennett just signed a new contract, part of which he agreed to increase his buyout to $3M if he leaves UVA before March of 2018.  This came after Bo announced his 1 year plan to retire.  I think Bennett's a smart enough guy to know that he'd be on the top of UW's list of replacements for Bo.  I also think he's smart enough to not agree to a 3 year extension and nearly double his buyout if he thought UW would be in his plans a year later.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #78 on: December 16, 2015, 09:08:12 AM »
King Rice to UW

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #79 on: December 16, 2015, 09:12:58 AM »
Bennett just signed a new contract, part of which he agreed to increase his buyout to $3M if he leaves UVA before March of 2018.  This came after Bo announced his 1 year plan to retire.  I think Bennett's a smart enough guy to know that he'd be on the top of UW's list of replacements for Bo.  I also think he's smart enough to not agree to a 3 year extension and nearly double his buyout if he thought UW would be in his plans a year later.
Hes not paying that buyout and if donor(s) want him that seems like a small hurdle to jump over.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #80 on: December 16, 2015, 09:15:20 AM »
What a complete douche
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #82 on: December 16, 2015, 09:21:09 AM »
Hes not paying that buyout and if donor(s) want him that seems like a small hurdle to jump over.

How the donors react is going to be interesting.  Bo did a great job cultivating a cadre of boosters to the basketball program.  Do those boosters have a loyalty to Bo's guy?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #83 on: December 16, 2015, 09:21:47 AM »

And yes there are rumors than a personal issue (not health) is pushing Bo into retirement.

You can either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become a villain.

Unfortunately for Bo, he is an undead vampire. This was inevitable.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #84 on: December 16, 2015, 09:27:18 AM »
If Diamond Stone went to Madison, does Bo make this announcement yesterday?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #85 on: December 16, 2015, 09:29:20 AM »
Heisenberg

Diamond or not he would have made that decision IMO.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #86 on: December 16, 2015, 09:29:31 AM »
This is fantastic for the world

Think Oscar Wilde when he said, ‘every saint has a past, every sinner has a future.’ But also think Neil Young. ‘The fork in the road, light a candle’. Instead of cursing the darkness, let’s light a candle for where we’re going. This was fantastic for the world. We are better people for having been here. It was absolutely incredible. I’m inspired. I don’t know when I’ll ever sleep again.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #87 on: December 16, 2015, 09:30:15 AM »
People shouldnt dismiss the idea of Tony Bennett to Wisconsin so quickly. At least at one point in his career, it was his dream job. IDK what hes thinking now

What boy doesn't dream about having his dad's job when he grows up?  I wanted to be the guy who drove the dump truck at construction sites when I was about 4 years old... but I still went to college.

There may be more to this story than what currently meets the eye. I heard a rumor about this late last week and not willing to share it, but if true, makes this a very interesting story.

I'll put what I know out there (in order from most certain to most speculative):

1) Behind closed doors, Bo and Barry aren't as adversarial about the next coach as they are letting on.

2) The bottom line here is that the UW faithful doesn't want another Soderberg episode... they (like us circa I4) want a big name coach to come in and pick up where Bo left off.  But ask anyone who knows Barry personally, and they'll say that's not going to happen; Barry is the alpha at UW and he's loathe to hire someone who may steal his thunder.

3) So Gard now gets the job, and Barry catches no heat because the faithful are willing to write this off as having no other choice.  As previously stated, if Gard can do better than .500 in conference (which he likely will), the faithful step back from the ledge and Barry can remove his interim tag in March without blow back.

4) Where this (potentially) gets super interesting is how in the world could the faithful be satisfied by a .500 season after consecutive Final Fours???  It's all about expectations, frankly... or the management of said expectations.  The implication here is that the season is already lost and even a .500 finish would be a major accomplishment for Gard (meriting a permanent job as HC).  The school of thought here is that lowering the bar with three home OOC losses was either a) a very fortunate circumstance or b) a calculated move by Bo (who would not have done so without Barry's complicity).  I don't think that Bo intended to "throw" any of these games, but the way they played WIU and UWM (and to a certain extent, MU), it was completely out of character for a Bo Ryan team.  If you watched the UW @ Syracuse game, they played "Bo Ryan basketball" in that game, so why did they abandon what's worked for over a decade at UW vs. WIU and UWM?   Perhaps his approach was to simply keep the games close and see what happens.

I still think, at the end of the season, Jeter will be interviewed (whether it's announced publicly or not) to appease the regents' AA emphasis.  I'm sure there will be rumors that other coaches are interviewed even if they're not with convenient excuses (contract buyouts, etc.) to help UW save face.  But whatever happens going forward, this much I know... Barry and Bo are on the same page.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #88 on: December 16, 2015, 09:30:20 AM »
You can either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become a villain.

Unfortunately for Bo, he is an undead vampire. This was inevitable.

There is a 50% chance he will die from this trauma.....next to a log....behind his house in Wisconsin this summer.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #89 on: December 16, 2015, 09:30:39 AM »
So does this mean the rumors that Bo has been cheating on Mrs. Bo are true?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #90 on: December 16, 2015, 09:33:30 AM »
So does this mean the rumors that Bo has been cheating on Mrs. Bo are true?

I can neither confirm, nor deny this.   ;)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #91 on: December 16, 2015, 09:34:24 AM »
I still think, at the end of the season, Jeter will be interviewed (whether it's announced publicly or not) to appease the regents' AA emphasis.  I'm sure there will be rumors that other coaches are interviewed even if they're not with convenient excuses (contract buyouts, etc.) to help UW save face.  But whatever happens going forward, this much I know... Barry and Bo are on the same page.

I think Barry and Bo are making the best of a bad situation, but I wouldn't go so far as saying they are on the same page.  Nothing I have heard indicates that's the case.

Badgerhater

• All American

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #93 on: December 16, 2015, 09:44:06 AM »
Crean to Wisconsin

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #94 on: December 16, 2015, 09:45:55 AM »
I think Barry and Bo are making the best of a bad situation, but I wouldn't go so far as saying they are on the same page.  Nothing I have heard indicates that's the case.

Well, to the extent that being on the same page means that Barry is cheating on Cindy, then no, I don't think they're on the same page.  But relative to the "Barry vs. Bo feud" that was being reported back in August, the two agree over the succession plan.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #95 on: December 16, 2015, 09:51:08 AM »
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #96 on: December 16, 2015, 09:51:54 AM »
Well, to the extent that being on the same page means that Barry is cheating on Cindy, then no, I don't think they're on the same page.  But relative to the "Barry vs. Bo feud" that was being reported back in August, the two agree over the succession plan.

They have agreed to the immediately succession plan, but Barry has done so grudgingly.  Everything I have heard is that he is grumpy about being put into this place where he basically had to put Gard in place.  But this was the only guaranteed way Gard gets a shot at being head coach albiet on an interim basis.

Now Gard may indeed end up with the job full time, but that won't be because Bo and Barry are holding hands and singing kum-ba-ya together. 

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #97 on: December 16, 2015, 09:53:51 AM »
If the rumors are true and what is being insinuated is true then, considering its Bo Ryan doing these things,

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #98 on: December 16, 2015, 10:01:17 AM »
There is a 50% chance he will die from this trauma.....next to a log....behind his house in Wisconsin this summer.

Good to see you've found your way to Scoop, Big Cat.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #99 on: December 16, 2015, 10:03:56 AM »
That Big Cat article just fellates Bo.

How underwhelmed would you be as UW fan coming off the National Championship game to give the reins to Greg Gard? The guy's been getting pulled around by Bo since Platteville, it's like that old guy in your office getting the promotion just because he's been there longest. Sucks for them I guess.